Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,093 members, 7,835,681 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Ok - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ok (3773 Views)

Nairaland -- Am Happy ok / Is Buhari Really Ok? Check Out This Photo And Judge / Video:body Of Late Chief Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu Arrivin Imo State With Rochas Ok (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ok by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 03, 2010
Ok
Re: Ok by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 03, 2010
Ok
Re: Ok by olafolarin(m): 9:27pm On Jul 03, 2010
T.A Orji just decamped to APGA to avoid being upstaged by His deputy come 2011.
It Mighty Be too Little too Late because of the governors monumental failure.abia state has à commercial Centre should be financially Independent but OBJ's stooge definitely don't Know how to go about that.
OBJ destroyed all the foudarions of good Governance by installing His "Boys" everywhere.
Oyo,Osun,Ogun,Ekiti,Imo,Abia and the List still continues.
Re: Ok by Ibime(m): 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2010
Its a big shame. . . . Aba was the commercial hotspot of the East/South-South back in the days. . . . most of us from PH used to go shopping in Aba. . . . what a shame. . . .
Re: Ok by paddylo1(m): 10:52pm On Jul 03, 2010
abia state has à commercial Centre should be financially Independent but OBJ's stooge definitely don't Know how to go about that.

The current Governor of Abia State was far from being OBJs stooge

matter of fact he was in an EFCC cell,being detained by OBJ,bewfore he won the election
and had to be released due to the immunty Governors have

Hope u know he is from a party called PPA. . .not PDP
Re: Ok by Abagworo(m): 11:44pm On Jul 03, 2010
the cause of abias crisis is neither orji nor orji but the soul of thousands of innocent people killed during the bakassi era between 1998 and 2002.because aba is a less important town,people might not be aware that more than 30000 people were murdered in cold blood by bakassi.the militants of today were those 10 year old kids that gathered around to watch bakassi slaughter people.a sizeable number of them were also invoved in niger delta militancy.the only thing that can rescue abia is prayers.are nairalanders aware that 80% of pipeline sabotage in nigeria was done in aba axis alone?80% of kidnappings and robberies(mostly unreported occur in thesame zone).i normally went for shopping in aba but is yet to step into aba since 2008 because of security.i rather pay high price in port harcourt.
Re: Ok by Onlytruth(m): 11:56pm On Jul 03, 2010
Abagworo:

the cause of abias crisis is neither orji nor orji but the soul of thousands of innocent people killed during the bakassi era between 1998 and 2002.because aba is a less important town,people might not be aware that more than 30000 people were murdered [/b]in cold blood by bakassi.the militants of today were those 10 year old kids that gathered around to watch bakassi slaughter people.a sizeable number of them were also invoved in niger delta militancy.[b]the only thing that can rescue abia is prayers.are nairalanders aware that 80% of pipeline sabotage in nigeria was done in aba axis alone?80% of kidnappings and robberies(mostly unreported occur in thesame zone).i normally went for shopping in aba but is yet to step into aba since 2008 because of security.i rather pay high price in port harcourt.

These are alarming figures! Where did you get that from?  shocked

As far as I know, the deaths where probably in hundreds (criminals). I'm not ruling out that few innocent folks might have died too (which is why I would NEVER support death penalty undecided).

The figures you are bandying about is a civil war figure. Please revise.
Re: Ok by ezeagu(m): 12:05am On Jul 04, 2010
Abagworo:

the cause of abias crisis is neither orji nor orji but the soul of thousands of innocent people killed during the bakassi era between 1998 and 2002.because aba is a less important town,people might not be aware that more than 30000 people were murdered in cold blood by bakassi.the militants of today were those 10 year old kids that gathered around to watch bakassi slaughter people.a sizeable number of them were also invoved in niger delta militancy.

This is trash. . .

Abagworo:

are nairalanders aware that 80% of pipeline sabotage in nigeria was done in aba axis alone?80% of kidnappings and robberies(mostly unreported occur in thesame zone).i normally went for shopping in aba but is yet to step into aba since 2008 because of security.i rather pay high price in port harcourt.

And even more trash. If someone knew nothing about Nigeria they would say MEND are based in Abia if they base their knowledge of Nigeria off this post. How can Abia have 80% of Nigeria's kidnappings and robberies when Lagos has more than 15 million people, was this even meant to be a joke?
Re: Ok by Abagworo(m): 12:18am On Jul 04, 2010
ezeagu:

This is trash. . .

And even more trash. If someone knew nothing about Nigeria they would say MEND are based in Abia if they base their knowledge of Nigeria off this post. How can Abia have 80% of Nigeria's kidnappings and robberies when Lagos has more than 15 million people, was this even meant to be a joke?

you know little about it but its true.as big as lagos is,i dont think there could be average of more than 10 kidnappings a day.i know you wouldnt believe that there was average of more than 10 kidnappings in a day at aba.if you actually have any relative there,feel free to enquire from him.

Backed with data to buttress the point, the NNPC GMD informed that a total of 16,083 pipeline breaks were recorded within the last 10 years adding that while 398 pipeline breaks representing 2.4 per cent were due to ruptures, the activities of unpatriotic vandals accounted for 15,685 breaks which translates to about 97.5 percent of the total number of cases.

According to records, the System 2E/2EX which conveys products from the Port Harcourt refinery to Aba- Enugu-Makurdi depots onwards to Yola-Enugu-Auchi appears to be the haven of pipeline vandalism in the country particularly the Port Harcourt-Aba/Isiala-Ngwa axis.

In all, 8,105 breaks were recorded along the system 2E within the period representing about 50.3 percent of the total number of petroleum products pipeline breaks in the country. The attacks left the NNPC with a cost of N78.15 billion in product loses and pipeline repairs.
Re: Ok by Abagworo(m): 12:29am On Jul 04, 2010
8105 pipelines were broken in 3650 days averaging 2.2 pipelines per day in aba area alone.about 50.7 percent of the total in the entire federation.this can only be confirmed because nnpc keeps records.most crimes in aba area go unreported because people there are used to the crime.are you aware that banks were using helicopter to carry money in aba?

The police alleged that violent crimes in Aba were planned in the village and that its traditional ruler was assassinated along with his wife last year for

assisting law enforcement agents to fish out criminals.

Banks in Aba in Abia recently resorted to using helicopters to move cash because of frequent attacks on bullion vehicles by armed robbers. (NAN)

http://allafrica.com/stories/200901230389.html

check the link and you will notice that this was january 2009 news
Re: Ok by olafolarin(m): 1:20am On Jul 04, 2010
paddy_lo:

The current Governor of Abia State was far from being OBJs stooge

matter of fact he was in an EFCC cell,being detained by OBJ,bewfore he won the election
and had to be released due to the immunty Governors have

Hope u know he is from a party called PPA. . .not PDP

let me take you back memory lane.OBJ had problems with Abaribe(Who was then the leading contender to succeed Uzor Kalu).The best way OBJ could humiliate Abaribe is to allow PPA rig and win the election in favour of T.A.Orji even though he is from the opposing camp and in prison on trumped-up fraud charges.At the time of the election,there was serious animosity between OBJ and Uzor Kalu but they both had similar enemy in Abaribe.
T.A.Orji is not the only person who won election in prison.Iyiola Omisore won his senatorial seat in Prison while being detained for the killing of the former AGF-Chief Bola Ige.
Re: Ok by udezue(m): 1:47am On Jul 04, 2010
WOW!!! What a disgrace? Abians might wanna look towards Anambra for solutions.
Re: Ok by RoadStar: 3:45am On Jul 04, 2010
udezue:

WOW!!! What a disgrace? Abians might wanna look towards Anambra for solutions.
And how is Anambra in a better shape ?
Tell me one thing that happens in Abia that does not happen in an equal or greater manner in Anambra.
This thread should've been titled "The Abia/Anambra tragedy"
Re: Ok by udezue(m): 4:10am On Jul 04, 2010
Roadstar, ewuuuooo I wu onye Abia? Mcshewwww
Re: Ok by Onlytruth(m): 4:15am On Jul 04, 2010
I must appreciate comments from olafolarin and the one below:

Babatunde Edun.
07.01.2010 10:23
Dear Sir,
I agree with all that you have stated about the crisis in Abia but vehemently disagree with the solution proposed.
The illustrious citizens of Abia should be insulted by the fact that you (ostensibly one of them) think that they are so incapable of solving their own problems that a declaration of a state of emergency by the Federal Government is the way out. What happened to the Anambra solution of waiting out the present governor\'s term and contesting elections? If Abia state constitutes a security issue and is threatening the Nigerian state, maybe it should be merged with an existing state. If this happens, I am sure that it\'s so-called illustrious citizens would wake up and fight for their chance to be governor, senator e.t.c. It is however unfortunate that they do not seem to be able to fight for the common good of their citizenry and are held hostage by the thieving tendencies of one family.
A state of emergency? We should not deploy Federal resources for personal gain. Sort out the mess yourselves, thank you very much.

Abia political situation is really assuming an alarming dimension. I was hoping that Abia could copy from other south eastern states, yes Anambra for example.

The worst aspect of this problem is over fractiousness -when you disagree with EVERYBODY including yourself.

There is at least one thing that Abia can copy from Anambra state, and that is that all stake holders in Abia should organize a meeting to say enough is enough.
Anambra went as far as calling on the oldest traditional leaders and the Eze Nri to bring out their Ofo and to swear all politicians to an oath. They basically placed curses on anyone who refuses to allow us have peace in Anambra state. The politicians also promised to stop rigging elections.
I am not saying that this is what stopped these known thieves in the last elections, but hey it may well have! undecided angry

Bottomline is that there is a collective resolve among Anambra people and leaders that these things must be fought to a standstill and people's votes must count. That is why the last elections was peaceful. That is why godfathers allowed us peace. Abia can copy that.

When you have a problem, you should at least have the grace to copy whatever works from wherever.

Being angry is not enough. cool
Re: Ok by Onlytruth(m): 4:26am On Jul 04, 2010
I was so concerned about kidnapping that I called my family in Nigeria a few days ago, basically wanted them to take specific measures to safeguard our family.
Well, they practically told me not to worry about anything. They said that kidnapping is not that rampant in Anambra state and that only certain people are exposed to it in Anambra state. That made sense because I know A LOT of families who are rich and have not been kidnapped. When I pressed for more information, they told me that I must be confusing Anambra with Abia state. I was speechless. So, obviously something is seriously wrong in Abia.
Abia state leaders should step up to the plate.
It is not enough to be angry. It is time for leadership. Every leader should put Abia first , from traditional rulers to the governor.
I hope that the proliferated autonomous communities are not adding to the problem.
Re: Ok by udezue(m): 2:01pm On Jul 04, 2010
Onlytruth, don't mind Roadstar. Instead of using his brain to understand issues he is here beating his chest like as if Anambra is the source of his frustration and the disgrace Abia have come to be. Abia state has the potential to be the best and enviable state due to the natural resources, talented people like the Aba, and tourist attractions in places like Arochukwu my town but naw their leaders and the people have rendered the state useless. Anambra state had its own issue and leaders and the people chose to tackle it head on not get all defensive when suggestions are offered. Yes Abians might wanna look towards Anambra for a way out. No need for useless pride. What is going on in Abia affects us all. I have no qualms agreeing that Abians need to try something new.

Roadstar, do u have any solutions or just chest beating?
Re: Ok by Kobojunkie: 2:04pm On Jul 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

These are alarming figures! Where did you get that from? shocked

As far as I know, the deaths where probably in hundreds (criminals). I'm not ruling out that few innocent folks might have died too (which is why I would NEVER support death penalty undecided).

The figures you are bandying about is a civil war figure. Please revise.

Henry Ikedi
07.03.2010 17:38
Abians & non Abians, you have all commented well to Chidi Amuta\'s write-up. The Abia people deserve better.

[size=13pt]But please I want to rather draw our attention to the fact T.A. Orji\'s former party (PPA) tried to call him to order (by asking him about his stewardship to the Abia people). This is the first time in the history of Nigeria that a political party would give an ultimatum to a sitting governor to pay salaries (7 months areas), construct roads etc. Instead of that governor answering to the query; he left the party - Governors have constantly showed rascality & how irresponsible they all are.
T.A. Orji should not be hailed for leaving PPA to APGA (he doesn\'t know what dividends of democracy is about).[/size]

In the meantime, the National Chairman of PPA (Larry Esin) should be given credit for introducing that.
Re: Ok by sage(m): 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2010
angry cry
Re: Ok by Abagworo(m): 11:27pm On Jul 04, 2010
ezeagu:

This is trash. . .

Police arrest 41 kidnap suspects, recover N4m ransom
From Ezedike Joshua, Port Harcourt
Monday, July 05, 2010

Gov. Amaechi
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
No fewer than 41 kidnap suspects have been arrested by the Rivers State Police Command during the last six months. Also, 138 suspected cultists and 45 pipeline vandals were rounded up and charged to court.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Suleiman Abba, who gave the figures while briefing reporters in Port Harcourt, said the command had worked tirelessly to reduce the spate of crime in the state.

He decried the infiltration of criminals from the neighbouring Abia State. He noted that over 90 per cent of the crimes in Oyigbo, Etche and Eberi Omuma areas of the state were committed by suspects from Abia State.

Almost 90 per cent of the crimes committed in Eberi Omuma, Etche, Oyigbo and Afam are coming from Abia State. I must tell you we’re living up to the challenges. In the last two months, no less than 20 hardened Abia based criminals have been arrested by the command,” he said.

He alleged that the suspects had been handed over to Abia State Police Command for prosecution.
The Commissioner, who pledged his commitment to reduce the crime rate in the state by improving on the response time to distress calls, urged the public to co-operate with the command by giving meaningful information that would lead to the arrest of suspected criminals in the state.

Speaking on the major challenges of the command, he urged the public to be confident in the police, especially when giving useful information. The commissioner said the attitude of his men towards work had been of great challenge, urging them to shun corruption. He said he had not been threatened or influenced by any VIP in the state and pledged to perform better with the help of the state government and the public.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/05/national-05-07-2010-002.htm
Re: Ok by EzeUche(m): 12:01am On Jul 05, 2010
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

I blame Ngwaland!

My state is becoming the laughing stock of Nigeria. These be Aba boys giving Abia State a bad name. And since Aba is in Ngwaland, Ngwa elders have to be held responsible for this travesty!  angry
Re: Ok by Manpee4allyahoocom: 12:18am On Jul 05, 2010
No! no!! no!!! U dont have 2 blame ngwaland 4 what has happen or d elders. But d blame goes 2 d youth how care all about there salf-fish intrest.
Re: Ok by Manpee4allyahoocom: 12:19am On Jul 05, 2010
No! no!! no!!! U dont have 2 blame ngwaland 4 what has happen or d elders. But d blame goes 2 d youth how care all about there salf-fish intrest.
Re: Ok by udezue(m): 12:29am On Jul 05, 2010
Ezeuche,
Nsido mfinna mfo? What is going on in Abia state is the responsibility of all Abians to tackle the problem so no scape-goating. There is no doubt that Ngwa leaders have failed the city of Aba but Aba is quite cosmopolitan so this is no longer an Ngwa issue. What about the governor Kalu? Don't you think he should get blame for letting this issue spiral outta control? I beg I no picking on Ngwa people dey sweet you like eating toto but cool it nwanna.
Re: Ok by mbulela: 4:11am On Jul 05, 2010
first of all, i need to thank Chidi Amuta for a wonderful piece.
Pieces like this are not common in present day Nigeria media.
Not just the content but the writing is tfirst class.
To the issue of Abia,while i am uncomfortable with the haste in which folks trhough figures around online and i cannot vouch for the figures Abagworo has posted, i am inclined to believe that it is not far from the truth.
I have asked questions, i have visited the place nd i have relatives and acquintances who have been victims.
At the last count, i know seven (7) persons who have been kidnapped in Abia state, particularly along Aba-Obehie road.
No one reports or even tells of robbery incidents in the state as everyone has become victims.
I said this in a recent thread and i wish to repeat it again, the state of infrastructure in Abia state is worse than what you will find in most parts of Afghanistan and obviously worse than Sudan.You visit Aba and you immediately wonder if you are in a war zone.
there is no need blaming Ngwas or Asa.
The case of total decay in Abia state is a state of emergency,not just for Abians but for the entire country.
You may think you are abroad and your folks are in a far away state.
This was what the elite though when Odili was breeding the present day militants, now hunter is now the hunted and in spite of the fraudulent amnesty, the rich are the victims of kidnapping and other militant activities.
If we do not arrest this anarchy breeding in Abia state, it will envelope the entire country very soon.Afterall, the hoodlums in Abia do not need a visa to get into Lagos or Enugu.
While the state is burning, the inept and clueless soul who is governor is dancing around hoping from one acronym to another and making senseless speeches.
there must be something fundamentally wrong with the Nigerian system that throws up these hoodlums in places of authority.
Which Chi cracked the palm kernel of these barbarians?
Re: Ok by Abagworo(m): 1:38am On Jul 12, 2010
the best solution is state of emergency.
Re: Ok by Kobojunkie: 1:43am On Jul 12, 2010
Abagworo:

the best solution is state of emergency.

Yes, best solution is State of Emergency. As Nigerians we already know how well that worked back in 2007 when Yar adua declared a 'State of Emergency' on Power Supply!!! grin
Re: Ok by cleversecj: 10:30am On Jul 12, 2010
My follow Abians of Gods own state, i greet you all.

What is the way out of this shameful and disgraceful act that is slowly bringing down our great reputation. State of emergengency is not a solution. If you are suggesting a state of emergency for this state what will be declared in Jos and maybe Kaduna.

Take a mirrow, look at it very well, the figure you see has that solution.

Lets stop pointing fingers on anybody even the so called ungoverned governors past and present.

Post solutions and lets stop over stressing the problem we already know exist.

Thank you.
Re: Ok by ezeagu(m): 3:46pm On Jul 12, 2010
Abagworo:

Police arrest 41 kidnap suspects, recover N4m ransom
From Ezedike Joshua, Port Harcourt
Monday, July 05, 2010

Gov. Amaechi
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
No fewer than 41 kidnap suspects have been arrested by the Rivers State Police Command during the last six months. Also, 138 suspected cultists and 45 pipeline vandals were rounded up and charged to court.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Suleiman Abba, who gave the figures while briefing reporters in Port Harcourt, said the command had worked tirelessly to reduce the spate of crime in the state.

He decried the infiltration of criminals from the neighbouring Abia State. He noted that over 90 per cent of the crimes in Oyigbo, Etche and Eberi Omuma areas of the state were committed by suspects from Abia State.

Almost 90 per cent of the crimes committed in Eberi Omuma, Etche, Oyigbo and Afam are coming from Abia State. I must tell you we’re living up to the challenges. In the last two months, no less than 20 hardened Abia based criminals have been arrested by the command,” he said.

He alleged that the suspects had been handed over to Abia State Police Command for prosecution.
The Commissioner, who pledged his commitment to reduce the crime rate in the state by improving on the response time to distress calls, urged the public to co-operate with the command by giving meaningful information that would lead to the arrest of suspected criminals in the state.

Speaking on the major challenges of the command, he urged the public to be confident in the police, especially when giving useful information. The commissioner said the attitude of his men towards work had been of great challenge, urging them to shun corruption. He said he had not been threatened or influenced by any VIP in the state and pledged to perform better with the help of the state government and the public.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/july/05/national-05-07-2010-002.htm

How does this say 80% of Nigeria's kidnappings and robberies are committed in Abia State?
Re: Ok by Abagworo(m): 4:12pm On Jul 12, 2010
author=ezeagu link=topic=473188.msg6372632#msg6372632 date=1278945978]
How does this say 80% of Nigeria's kidnappings and robberies are committed in Abia State?

that wasnt my intension for that.if you look at the ppmc pipeline vandalisation that is well documented it is quite glaring.as for the kidnappings and robbery,most go unreported.it is only in aba that helicopters are used in place of bullion van.you cannot believe because you don't have anybody living there.imagine a situation which has made my journey to enugu 4hrs instead of 2hrs trying to avoid aba.
Re: Ok by Jarus(m): 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2010
A rejoinder to Amuta's article:

Amuta goofed on Abia
By Chinyemike Torti 12/07/2010 00:02:00

Reactions, interventions and wise counsel from stakeholders in the Abia project have and will always be gladly received by Governor Theodore Ahamefule Orji who maintains and insists, that the opposition is an essential attribute of constitutional democracy, which is all about debates, transacting the people’s business in public and of course the right to dissent in a civilised manner. From day one, Ochendo, a consummate and thorough bred statesman, extended an olive branch to and welcomed the opposition parties for an inclusive and anti-exclusionary ideal government that will move Abia forward.

According to him, everyone is welcomed, nothing is unimportant, and no one is insubstantial. But where this role is devalued by carpet baggers whose sole essence is to overheat the policy then the right thinking critical mass must demur. Chidi Amuta’s recent piece titled "The Abia Tragedy" was a caricature of critical prose that fell short of scholastic traditions.

Dr Chidi Amuta struggled in his backpage THISDAY newspaper column of June 1st, 2010 to lampoon Abia State by deploying his template of turning darkness into light, rhetoric and gimmicks of mass hysteria and scare mongering.

By conjuring fictive and morbid images of warfare a la Mexico, Liberia, Mogadishu, Democratic Republic of Congo, the ‘learned writer’ unsuccessfully wrestled with the idea of painting a self fulfilling portrait of utter hopelessness, danger, anarchy, virtual paralysis, which he concludes have wider implications for national security. Not done yet with his bundle of fibs, the erstwhile Dodan Barracks house Negro, embarks on a voyage of discovery where kidnappers in his native Ukwa/Ngwa axis ‘control the land corridor’ between Rivers and Abia State.

By his own admission, Chidi Amuta has not visited home for some time due to, the fatuous reason of ‘being ensconced in the opulence of fine homes in Lagos and Abuja’ and his inability to pay for a flotilla of mobile policemen and soldiers. In plain terms the tall story he put out on Abia about armed bandits, sundry security agencies, string of levies, unpaid pensioners/salaries, was a treatise gleaned from grapevine sources and not the product of real time investigative journalism. And this does grievous damage to the integrity of the piece which in main, was just a vile compendium of abuses, insults, scathing and virulent name calling.

If Amuta was not on ground to report events, never witnessed nor obtained unassailable evidence of issues he pontificated about, then he must be setting some questionable standards in journalism.

Amuta deserves our sympathy for sketching an untenable agenda which is located in his unimaginative call for a state of emergency to be declared in Abia. His choleric argument rests on the hocus pocus that kidnappers in God’s Own State now spread their dragnet further afield to adjoining states like Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Imo etc. What a parody of down market media hype. Propaganda has its limits. Amuta’s discourse on the crime and security situation in Abia demonstrates a crashing failure of judgment on the aetiology, sociology and origin of kidnapping in Nigeria. It smacks of mischief, ignorance, or a combination of both to posit that the malaise is an Abia exclusive.

What we have on ground today, albeit localised and limited to three local government areas strictly in the Ukwa/Ngwa area, is an alien, copycat criminal behaviour whose origin is traceable to militant groups in the oil rich Niger Delta region, fuelled by ransom taking, went haywire with kidnap of foreign oil workers. In 2007, they seized over 150 foreigners, including a three- year-old British girl (Miss Margaret Hill). Nigeria then acquired a rating as second to Iraq in terms of being the greatest risk to oil workers.

The original motive, to attract global attention to the horrendous living condition in the Niger Delta, went to the dogs. For the better part of 2006/2007, Rivers State was under the siege of all manner of gangsters who feuded, maimed and kidnapped in the Port Harcourt killing fields.

Like cancer, entrepreneurial kidnapping spread to neighbouring states like Imo, Anambra, Abia and Enugu, where Igwe Uche Nwachime, a royal father in Nkanu West Local Government was abducted and butchered in cold blood. The proprietor of Grand Riveri Hotel, Enugu, was kidnapped but was released after the ransom payment of N5m. The younger brother of the Federal Minister of Information, Professor Dora Akunyili, was captured by kidnappers asking for N30m.

In Abia, the kidnappers debuted with the snatching of the Enyimba Club chairman, Anyasi Agwu; and erstwhile ASUBEB chairman, Comrade Iruke; and a host of Abia State top functionaries, fuelling speculations that some nefarious anti government saboteurs were the ragamuffins perpetrating this abominable behaviour. However, the wave of terrorism that goes on in various parts of the nation could at best be described as federal in scope but local in jurisdiction. Recall that President Goodluck Jonathan authorised an interventionist approach like the JTF security template for the entire South East zone.

The Abia State Government has gone beyond the call of duty to institute measures to abate the risk of body snatchers. First, the constitution of a Joint Task Force consisting of the military and Police with appropriate logistical back-up of 147 brand new vehicles. The notorious flash points contiguous to Enugu-Port Harcourt expressway have been specifically reinforced with a flotilla of crack anti-insurgent troops. The state government also provided dedicated hotlines, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Confidentiality is assured all citizens who have information to give. To date, Governor Theodore Orji has continued to pay a reward of N1m to informants whose efforts have resulted in successfully dislodging and arresting these criminals.

Rather than excoriating Ochendo administration, a pragmatic thing to do is to rally round him to fashion out strategies to combat this new wave of terrorism which makes no distinction between friend and foe. The nature of our federalism concentrates all powers and agencies of coercion in the hands of Abuja authorities. The governors are mere sitting ducks, though they are dubbed the ‘chief security officers’ of their states.

It is important to state, without any fear of contradiction that nobody and nobody is being owed any salaries arrears or entitlements by the Abia State government. The few comatose industries and SME’s in Aba and elsewhere in the federation are fallout of the harsh national operating environment like infrastructural deficits, erratic electricity, fiscal policy somersaults, and global melt down.

The principal channel of transmission of the adverse impact of the global economic crisis to LDC’s has been trade/industry. As contraction started to take root in the Nigerian economic space from the third quarter of 2008, this pulled down growth, hitting particularly hard the leading SME’s in Nigeria which includes Aba, all out of the control of the state government.

Those self-appointed guardians of public morality who flatter themselves as ‘illustrious citizens’ should get enlightened with proper perspectives of issues in the political economy. People who pioneered the "come and chop" syndrome in Babangida’s DFRRI should be wary of pointing accusing fingers at innocent people. What goes around comes around.

Writer is Abia Governor's media assistant
Re: Ok by bawomolo(m): 7:51pm On Jul 12, 2010
Writer is Abia Governor's media assistant

hmmmmmmmmmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glamazons (nigerian Women) Vying For Political Office / Yuguda And Goje Apologise To Boko Haram / Ojukwu: Ohanaeze Faults Bianca’s Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.