Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones (2174 Views)

#EdoNoBeLagos, Ambode, Tinubu, Wike, Oshiomhole Trended During #EdoDecides2020 / Ambode: Tinubu And Fashola Owe $1.43bn Foreign Debt Not Me / Ambode: Tinubu Burst Into Tears At Meeting With Buhari & APC Governors- Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 2:35pm On Sep 15, 2018
I do not know the population ratio of the two dominant religions in Lagos, but it's very probable that the current feud between Ambode and Tinubu will soon assume a religious theme.

Tinubu is a Muslim and ruled for 8 years likewise Fashola and now Ambode, a Christian, is being boxed into a corner and almost on the verge of not making a return to the government house.

If any of the two aspirants who are rumoured to being backed by Tinubu was a Christian, no one would have raised an eyebrow. But they are both Muslims!

When this disagreement gets to a head, the talking point will be that Lagos Christians are being marginalised. You can't take away the place of religion in politics - worldwide it plays significant role.

For example, in America, most presidential candidates are vigorously questioned by the media about their Christian religion leaning during campaign. Religion is still a serious issue in American politics and no one downplays it.

Trump won in 2016, in part, due to the cordial relationship he cultivated with the Evangelicals and how much those Evangelical pastors supported him, in return for various pro-Israel and -Christian concessions and promises he made to them - a bulk of which he has now fulfilled.

3 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 2:38pm On Sep 15, 2018
Why did Tinubu not bring up Christians instead, as a form of balance? Why should the two contenders for Ambode's place, Jide Sanwo-olu and Femi Hamzat, be Muslims?

6 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by meolaniyi(m): 2:43pm On Sep 15, 2018
We have said it, No Christian would rule Lagos state again.
Yorubas know what is good for them. Ambode messed the opportunity up.

We are united in yoruba land both Christians and muslims. But as far as the president is a muslim its only wise we queue up along
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 2:50pm On Sep 15, 2018
meolaniyi:

We are united in yoruba land both Christians and muslims. But as far as the president is a muslim its only wise we queue up along
But when the president was a Christian twice - Obasanjo and Jonathan - Muslims were also governors of Lagos. So where's your logic?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by modath(f): 2:52pm On Sep 15, 2018
meolaniyi:

There is nothing Yoruba about you... keep trolling. smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by bodejohn(m): 2:52pm On Sep 15, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by BabaRamota1980: 2:55pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
I do not know the population ratio of the two dominant religions in Lagos, but it's very probable that the current feud between Ambode and Tinubu will soon assume a religious theme.

Tinubu is a Muslim and ruled for 8 years likewise Fashola and now Ambode, a Christian, is being boxed into a corner and almost on the verge of not making a return to the government house.

If any of the two aspirants who are rumoured to being backed by Tinubu was a Christian, no one would have raised an eyebrow. But they are both Muslims!

When this disagreement gets to a head, the talking point will be that Lagos Christians are being marginalised. You can't take away the place of religion in politics - worldwide it plays significant role.

For example, in America, most presidential candidates are vigorously questioned by the media about their Christian religion leaning during campaign. Religion is still a serious issue in American politics and no one downplays it.

Trump won in 2016 due to the cordial relationship he cultivated with the Evangelicals and how much those Evangelical pastors supported him, in return for various concessions and promises he made to them - a bulk of which he has now fulfilled.

ibo christian, hope you know Tinubu is married to a pastor.

2 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by BabaRamota1980: 2:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
Why did Tinubu not bring up Christians instead, as a form of balance? Why should the two contenders for Ambode's place, Jide Sanwo-olu and Femi Hamzat, be Muslims?

Are you guys blind or just not smart to see the intrigue and counter-intrigue Tinubu is pulling? grin

1 Like

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by iammo(m): 2:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
tongue sentiments apart, Ambode should face his party in the direct primaries. enough of all silly excuses. Should he be given automatic ticket because he is Christian, or should Muslims with the money to buy nomination forms and aspire for the seat, step down for him?

2 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:03pm On Sep 15, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Are you guys blind or just not smart to see the intrigue and counter-intrigue Tinubu is pulling? grin
I can't see any yet. Please tell me what you think they are.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:07pm On Sep 15, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

See how you people on Nairaland have turned Nigeria into a country strictly composed of Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba! So sad. Nigeria is way bigger than these three tribes please. Anybody who says "negative" things about Buhari is termed Igbo. And those who make critical statements about Igbos or Biäfra are also termed Yoruba or Hausa. The rest of the over 200 tribes are not on Nairaland, I guess?

4 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:10pm On Sep 15, 2018
iammo:
tongue sentiments apart, Ambode should face his party in the direct primaries. enough of all silly excuses. Should he be given automatic ticket because he is Christian, or should Muslims with the money to buy nomination forms and aspire for the seat, step down for him?
No one is saying Muslims should be discouraged from contesting against Ambode because he's a Christian. No! If Ambode's relationship with Tinubu was still OK and 5 Muslims declared their interest to vie against him, no one would have complained. But it's a different thing now.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:18pm On Sep 15, 2018
bodejohn:
What are you guys talking about? Jide Sanwo-Olu was born into a christian family.

http://www.lsdpc.gov.ng/.php?id=20

https://www.thecable.ng/close-up-ex-uba-official-unilag-graduate-meet-sanwo-olu-ambodes-challenger
The article says 'born into a Christian family', but is he still a Christian?
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by chiefolododo(m): 3:18pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
See how you people on Nairaland have turned Nigeria into a country strictly composed of Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba! So sad. Nigeria is way bigger than these three tribes please. Anybody who says "negative" things about Buhari is termed Igbo. And those who make critical statements about Igbos or Biäfra is also termed Yoruba or Hausa. The rest of the over 200 tribes are not on Nairaland, I guess?
my Broda tell me your tribe , I will start recognizing it

1 Like

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by iammo(m): 3:22pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
No one is saying Muslims should be discouraged from contesting against Ambode because he's a Christian. No! If Ambode's relationship with Tinubu was still OK and 5 Muslims declared their interest to vie against him, no one would have complained. But it's a different thing now.
then if he needed the "relationship with tinubu" (a Muslim) he should have thought carefully before replacing PSP/lawma agreement with ineffective visionscape. and trying to damage fashola's (also a Muslim) reputation by opening books on him. he was banking on influencing the delegate list in an indirect primaries. unfortunately tinubu had the idea of direct primaries to checkmate him
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2018
chiefolododo:
my Broda tell me your tribe , I will start recognizing it
Lol. Not important, but I'm from one of the other 200+ tribes.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by bodejohn(m): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
The article says 'born into a Christian family', but is he still a Christian?

What percentage of people born into christian family converted? Even with that possibility, check out the first link I shared...

Mr. Jide Sanwo-Olu a Christian and despite his faith honoured the Muslim Jamat, who in turn used the opportunity of his presence to christen him with a new name ‘Abdulkabir’ which means “The Great”.
In his own response Mr. ‘Abdulkabir’ Babjide Sanwo-Olu noted that in our society every family has Muslims and Christians and that there should be love for co-existence. He thanked the Muslim Jamat of LSDPC for the reception and as a way of reciprocating, he promised to do anything within his reach to support the mosque. He also thanked the Jamat for the new name ‘Abdulkabir’.

I am not in anyway supporting his candidature, just setting the record that is available in the public straight...

1 Like

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by chiefolododo(m): 3:27pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
Lol. Not important, but I'm from one of the other 200+ tribes.
Broda you are Ibibio
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:29pm On Sep 15, 2018
iammo:
then if he needed the "relationship with tinubu" (a Muslim) he should have thought carefully before replacing PSP/lawma agreement with ineffective visionscape. and trying to damage fashola's (also a Muslim) reputation by opening books on him. he was banking on influencing the delegate list in an indirect primaries. unfortunately tinubu had the idea of direct primaries to checkmate him
I don't know exactly what you mean by him opening books on Fashola. If you're referring to 2015 borehole and website scandal, it was/is clear that it was Tinubu who asked him to do that to prevent Fashola from being chosen by Buhari into his cabinet.

And for the PSP saga, I think Ambode may have noticed blatant corruption for him to have ordered termination of the contract purportedly been run by Lagos APC henchmen.

2 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by deomelo: 3:36pm On Sep 15, 2018
Igbos and their preoccupation with religious bigorty and ignorance.

I still don't see the great development and progress your religion delivered in your villages.

Thank God Lagosians care less about religion
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by iammo(m): 3:37pm On Sep 15, 2018
Daviddson:
I don't know exactly what you mean by him opening books on Fashola. If you're referring to 2015 borehole and website scandal, it was/is clear that it was Tinubu who asked him to do that to prevent Fashola from being chosen by Buhari into his cabinet.

And for the PSP saga, I think Ambode may have noticed blatant corruption for him to have ordered termination of the contract purportedly been run by Lagos APC henchmen.

according to you, he noticed fruad been perpetrated by APC "henchmen" , then why else should he seek their mandate and support, or cry foul play to abuja for mediation. democracy is about test of popularity. he should be a man and stop all rumoured begging. his faith is in the hands of registered Lagos state APC members, which tinubu is just an individual vote.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 15, 2018
APC IS AN ISLAMIC PARTY! sensitive state like lagos can not be entrust to a Christian Governor!

1 Like

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by naijaking1: 3:44pm On Sep 15, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Being married to a pastor or having a useless pastor as commissioner like Osinbanjo makes no difference.
Soon, you'll tell us Buhari has Christian house boys!

6 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by deomelo: 3:48pm On Sep 15, 2018
naijaking1:

Being married to a pastor or having a useless pastor as commissioner like Osinbanjo makes no difference.
Soon, you'll tell us Buhari has Christian house boys!

It makes a lot of difference in Yorubaland, but of course not in your village where religious bigotry and discrimination remains your primary preoccupation.

Unless you can show us all the wonderful and great development and progress your religion delivered in your villages.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by Daviddson(m): 3:50pm On Sep 15, 2018
chiefolododo:
Broda you are Ibibio
I'm not, bro.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by godliman: 3:52pm On Sep 15, 2018
bodejohn:

What percentage of people born into christian family converted? Even with that possibility, check out the first link I shared...

I am not in anyway supporting his candidature, just setting the record that is available in the public straight...
He is a Christian in name and not in nature sir.
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by OAFMods: 4:00pm On Sep 15, 2018
I swear too many senseless Igbos on this forum
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by bodejohn(m): 4:01pm On Sep 15, 2018
godliman:
He is a Christian in name and not in nature sir.

You people won't stop to amuse me...
First was...he is not a Christian...
Which one again is someone is not a Christian in nature?

Whatever sails una ship jare...
Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by naijaking1: 4:09pm On Sep 15, 2018
deomelo:

It makes a lot of difference in Yorubaland, but of course not in your village where religious bigotry and discrimination remains your primary preoccupation.

Unless you can show us all the wonderful and great development and progress your religion delivered in your villages.

Makes no difference?
When only savage Yoruba muslims like tinubu and fshiola can do 2 terms while Ambode, a Christian is pushed out to make room for another fanatic-fulani-leaning-yoruba muslims?

2 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by naijaking1: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2018
deomelo:
Igbos and their preoccupation with religious bigorty and ignorance.

I still don't see the great development and progress your religion delivered in your villages.

Thank God Lagosians care less about religion

I forgot you're all about Igbos, unfortunately for you, this one is not about Igbos, though you are working hard to make it one, and change the subject.
Did you not learn any other trick of argument?

2 Likes

Re: Analysis: Ambode-Tinubu Feud And The Religious Undertones by justfash50: 4:46pm On Sep 15, 2018
@op

Don't be deluded, jide sanwoolu is a Christian and a good one for that matter.

Stop bringing religion into the ongoing fray in lagos state.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kingsley Moghalu's Thoughts On Leadership -build, Innovate And Grow (BIG) / Bukola Saraki Pray At Central Mosque Ilorin Ahead Of Tomorrow Election - Photos / Gov. Ikpeazu Visits Isi Gate Umuahia, Gives Order (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.