Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,983 members, 7,863,501 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:04 PM

Skin Colour Discrimination Exists In Nollywood- Actresses Lament - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Skin Colour Discrimination Exists In Nollywood- Actresses Lament (484 Views)

This Jennifer Lopez Outfit Is Why Google Image Search Exists / Mercy Aigbe Slams 'Nosy' Fan Who Criticized Her Skin Colour / Nina Slams Netng For 'Turning Her Skin Colour To Black' And Taking Jabs At Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Skin Colour Discrimination Exists In Nollywood- Actresses Lament by splendid22(m): 8:22pm On Sep 15, 2018
Veteran Nollywood actress, Joke Silva in 2016 lamented over the discrimination between light and skinned actors. The respected role interpreter described the development as ‘irritating’.

“I find that so irritating. I really do, and that’s where we come back to skills. It’s a cop out for a director of photography to prefer light screened performers to dark skinned performers.

“If we take the trouble to watch films from other parts of the world, and see how when you have both white actors and black actors, see the lighting, see how the black person is lit. I’m not talking about working with a light skinned person of color, I’m talking about working with a dark skinned person of color – Samuel L Jackson for instance. Ebony black, and always incredibly lit. Where’s our own excuse? You just never get it in theatre. It does happen in films here, but it’s because of laziness.” she told Pulseng.

Months back a certain video vixen called out Afro-pop star, Tekno . The dancer revealed that the singer allegedly dropped her from his music video because of her dark skin colour.

Gabrielle Union, Tika Sumpter, and Lupita Nyong’o have all been praised for their good looks. Because they are dark-skinned, however, they also have atles of how colorism or skin colour discrimination affected their self esteem
Actress Keke Palmer of “Akeelah and the Bee” fame discussed her desire to be lighter-skinned while sitting on the Hollywood Confidential Panel in 2013.

“When I was like 5 years old I used to pray to have light skin because I would always hear how pretty that little light skin girl was, or I would hear I was pretty ‘to be dark skinned.
“It wasn’t until I was 13 that I really learned to appreciate my skin color and know that I was beautiful.” The actress went on to say that African Americans need “to stop separating ourselves by how dark or how light we are.”

Read the rest here
https://www.thenewsguru.com/entertainers-speak-skin-colour-discrimination-exist-nollywood/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Davido Spoils Crew Members With Latest Range Of Iphones / 6ix9ine’s Home Raided By Federal Agents / Patoranking Teaches Other Artistes How To Take Africa To The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.