Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,614 members, 7,827,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts (31811 Views)

Haraj: Saudi Arabian App Where Maids Are Trafficked And Sold To Wealthy Saudis / Police Officer Dies Following His Dismissal Over Pistol Sold To Cultist In Kwara / Man Erroneously Gets N10m Deposit In His Account In Lagos, Pays Debts With It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by OLUWABIG(m): 4:58pm On Sep 21, 2018
Frenliwis:
Wtf cry This is barbaric
it is even mumuric sef

1 Like

Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Ellapana: 4:58pm On Sep 21, 2018
Ambode directs state public works to fix Lagos roads in 4 weeks
https://newsdey.com/2018/09/ambode-directs-state-public-works-to-fix-lagos-roads-in-4-weeks/
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 21, 2018
They are those supporting Nigeria, they are those still supporting their thievesticians in Nigeria government.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by omooba969(m): 5:06pm On Sep 21, 2018
CheapDataGuy:
Even that of over blown bride price na coded selling na.
Smh

They're coming for you. smiley
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 21, 2018
Cross river of all places.... Very sad
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 21, 2018
This is an issue feminists in nigeria ought to be fighting instead of attacking men on who should be cooking in d kitchen and who shouldnt be cooking. Very sick story.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Myself2(m): 5:15pm On Sep 21, 2018
No time to watch the clip,,, abeg where this one dey happen??
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by mhizminna(f): 5:17pm On Sep 21, 2018
This story was aired on NTA Calabar few months ago
It's so pathetic I wept when I heard the story
It's still happening as we speak in cross river state, somewhere in Obudu LGA
The saddest part is that the current governor of cross river state is from that LGA and I don't think he is doing anything about it
I pray international organisations come to the aid of this people very fast because this is Morden day slavery.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by ipledge01: 5:17pm On Sep 21, 2018
kaycee125:
I go buy like 3 cheesy
This guy is a clown grin
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by enemachris(m): 5:29pm On Sep 21, 2018
I hope am dreaming. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked This is the worst offence you can commit against anyfin that breaths, let alone a human being. My heart really bleeds for this poor innocent girls. This are the type of injustice feminism is suppose to come to play oh, feminism are those human rights activist who contribute to the development of their country by fighting injustice and subjugation against women. Early marriage and this crazy trend going on in Cross River State called money marriage, killing and raping of females. You ladies should understand what it means before you will come to social media and be picking fight unnecessarily with your male counterparts for no apparent reason because you are claiming feminism.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by anjilgreat(f): 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2018
CheapDataGuy:

This may sound dumb but do the gurls try to fight it off?? If i no want something, I go run away from it na?? Just wondering...

She can't run away because it has been part or their culture and even if she runs away, her family must replace her with another of her siblings since she's is now a property of the man.

I have watched several documentaries and live interviews about that community in Cross Rivers State and the community leader wants this practice to stop but believes that poverty in his community plays a great role in hindering it.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by anjilgreat(f): 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2018
CheapDataGuy:

This may sound dumb but do the gurls try to fight it off?? If i no want something, I go run away from it na?? Just wondering...

She can't run away because it has been part of their culture and even if she runs away, her family must replace her with another of her siblings since she's is now a property of the man.

I have watched several documentaries and live interviews about that community in Cross Rivers State and the community leader wants this practice to stop but believes that poverty in his community plays a great role in hindering it. I wept after watching.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by vorigan: 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2018
mhizminna:
The saddest part is that the current governor of cross river state is from that LGA and I don't think he is doing anything about it
I pray international organisations come to the aid of this people very fast because this is Morden day slavery.

yes.......Small bit of history, The Becheve of Cross River, Utanga of Cross Rivers and the Tiv of Benue are all Sons of the same father.......the three tribes are actually one
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by docadams: 5:34pm On Sep 21, 2018
Blue3k2:
Incase you're wondering these girls can be sold for as little as 20k.

This practice is prevalent among a particular ethnic group in C/River out A/Ibom state. Watched a documentary of it on channels or TVC. I wonder if it's the same community being referred here.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by MONITZ: 5:34pm On Sep 21, 2018
LastSurvivor11:
I wanted to doubt this story but remembered that i have read a story of someone who deposited his son for a bag of rice in kano in this same nairaland..

Heartbreaking cry

U better don't doubt the story bxos I saw a documentary by Channels Tv on sth like this in a community in AKwa Ibom or Cross River state sometime ago.This really is a pathetic story and in the case of that that I watched the girls/ladies are owned permanently and the amount of money borrowed by the victims' parents that leaves them at the mercy of the lender is ridiculously too tiny to warrant such a treatment Bt who am I to judge?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Susu888(m): 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2018
Hypocrisy! Some nairalanders who’s mothers were bought would later open mouth to tlk trash about the north nd young age marriage(16-19 yrs) which is by consent!!! We don’t sell our daughters.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by helsinkiman(m): 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2018
its a practice in cross river state.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by CAPSLOCKED: 5:41pm On Sep 21, 2018
lefulefu:
This is an issue feminists in nigeria ought to be fighting instead of attacking men on who should be cooking in d kitchen and who shouldnt be cooking. Very sick story.

HUNDREDS OF YOUNG GIRLS ARE BEING DEPRIVED OF EDUCATION IN THIS COUNTRY. MOST ARE MARRIED OFF, RAPED, TRAFFICKED, AND DEPRIVED OF THE BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS.
BUT OUR FEMINISTS THINK IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO TALK ABOUT WHO GETS TO KNEEL ON HER WEDDING OR WHO HAS MORE INSTA FOLLOWERS.
TALK ABOUT MISPLACED PRIORITIES.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Neddyogu(m): 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2018
skinnyzsam:
Which kind network be Glo self � dem go give you data collect network
Laff aff kee me here
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by anjilgreat(f): 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2018
mhizminna:

It is more painful to know that the current governor is from that LGA. I watched a live interview where the community leader said he was not happy about the practice and opined that the poverty in the community is a major factor for it.
So why can't the governor empower his people and the funniest thing is that his wife as a medical doctor knows the negative effects of early marriage for the girl child

Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by docadams: 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2018
Blue3k2:

There no doubting this story. The cross river 1st lady already addressed it on channels TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-zJ5RjuXg

I quoted you before seeing this post.
You are right , the C/state government is already on it by empowering a mission to enlightened the community on the ills of this practice. But the practise is very easy to stop. All it cost to buy back each girl is N20.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by CheapDataGuy: 5:43pm On Sep 21, 2018
anjilgreat:

She can't run away because it has been part of their culture and even if she runs away, her family must replace her with another of her siblings since she's is now a property of the man.

I have watched several documentaries and live interviews about that community in Cross Rivers State and the community leader wants this practice to stop but believes that poverty in his community plays a great role in hindering it. I wept after watching.

That's very bad. I feel sad for the poor girls
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by anjilgreat(f): 5:44pm On Sep 21, 2018
It is more painful to know that the current governor is from that LGA. I watched a live interview where the community leader said he was not happy about the practice and opined that the poverty in the community is a major factor for it.
So why can't the governor empower his people and the funniest thing is that his wife as a medical doctor knows the negative effects of early marriage for the girl child
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by anjilgreat(f): 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2018
MONITZ:

U better don't doubt the story bxos I saw a documentary by Channels Tv on sth like this in a community in AKwa Ibom or Cross River state sometime ago.This really is a pathetic story and in the case of that that I watched the girls/ladies are owned permanently and the amount of money borrowed by the victims' parents that leaves them at the mercy of the lender is ridiculously too tiny to warrant such a treatment Bt who am I to judge?.

Cross Rivers State
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 21, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

HUNDREDS OF YOUNG GIRLS ARE BEING DEPRIVED OF EDUCATION IN THIS COUNTRY. MOST ARE MARRIED OFF, RAPED, TRAFFICKED, AND DEPRIVED OF THE BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS.
BUT OUR FEMINISTS THINK IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO TALK ABOUT WHO GETS TO KNEEL ON HER WEDDING OR WHO HAS MORE INSTA FOLLOWERS.
TALK ABOUT MISPLACED PRIORITIES.
unimportant issues dem go carry for headcheesy. I just hope human right groups focus on this issue. In dis 21st century there are still places in nigeria they sell off underage girls to clear off debts.so sad.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by Edusouls(m): 5:57pm On Sep 21, 2018
chai umu nwanyi ataala ahuhu na uwaa..
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by folake4u(f): 6:10pm On Sep 21, 2018
CheapDataGuy:

It's so easy for you to say but some can't even run away.

Besides running away would be likened to 'bringing shame on the family' and its more disastrous as the girl's family is castigated and made to suffer.

embarassed
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by 2buffagain(m): 6:31pm On Sep 21, 2018
Yet they will say it is white man that started slavery.

People fight me when I tell them it is black people who sold themselves to slavery.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by mechanics(m): 7:19pm On Sep 21, 2018
In this jet age, something has to be done.
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by BukunOlamie(f): 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2018
LastSurvivor11:
I wanted to doubt this story but remembered that i have read a story of someone who deposited his son for a bag of rice in kano in this same nairaland..

Heartbreaking cry

too bad
Re: Money Wives: The Nigerian Girls Sold To Repay Debts by movetoca: 8:29pm On Sep 21, 2018
skinnyzsam:
Which kind network be Glo self � dem go give you data collect network
Hahahaha...Thanks for making my night.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian National Arrested With Cocaine At Airport In India / Policeman Scratches Man's Car With A Metal In Lagos Traffic (Photos) / Oryina Orvaa Sues Elizabeth Akintelu For Rape Accusation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.