Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,138 members, 7,860,093 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:47 AM

Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President (538 Views)

My Father And Okocha Influenced My Nigeria Choice – Iwobi / Dangerous National Teams That Might Be Under-rated At Brazil 2014! / Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 5:21am On Jul 07, 2010
[size=18pt]President Goodluck Jonathan has said the hundreds of posts on his Facebook page helped persuade him to reverse his suspension of the nation’s football teams from international competitions, the British Broadcasting Corporation reports.

“I have listened to your voices,” Jonathan said in a posting on the social networking site on Monday. He had banned the Super Eagles and other national teams for two years, following the senior team‘s poor World Cup campaign.
[/size]

He overturned his decision on Monday evening, ahead of a 6pm deadline from football world governing body, FIFA, to quash the ban.

Under FIFA rules, government interference with national teams is strictly forbidden.

The President lifted the ban after the Nigerian Football Federation promised to disband and rebuild the Super Eagles.

“I read your comments and took them into account in the government‘s decision to rescind the suspension of Nigeria from international football,” Jonathan said on Facebook.

The President, who only set up his Facebook page early last week, two days before the ban, has more than 76,000 Facebook followers.

“I had a meeting with the NFF today and conveyed my disappointment and those of Nigerians on this page and received assurances that there will be positive changes.

“We must now work together to make sure that the NFF and our players do us proud in future events,” he said, ending the message with his initials ”GEJ.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100707602210
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by DrKitaun(m): 6:58am On Jul 07, 2010
Who cares ?

GJ wants to turn himself into a tin god instead of giving us constant power supply that even Lesotho is enjoying ?

Shiorrr !

(1) (Reply)

The Untold Truth Behind The Erstwhile Ban Of The Super Eagles / Adamu: Politicians Influence Team Selection / Who Is Your Nigerian Player Of The Year 2010?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.