Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,328 members, 7,954,323 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:41 PM

Preserving The HYBRID BATTERIES Before Traveling - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Preserving The HYBRID BATTERIES Before Traveling (1110 Views)

Honda CR-V Joins The Hybrid SUV With Refreshed Styling / Daimler To Buy ₦8.3 trillion Worth Of Batteries To Power Its Electric Vehicles / 11 Very Useful Car Accessories You Need When Traveling This Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preserving The HYBRID BATTERIES Before Traveling by TRYGO(m): 9:23pm On Sep 22, 2018
Batteries on hybrid vehicles, are susceptible to a monthly discharge of about 1%.

So, what happens, if for instance, you're planning for a vacation?
What happens, if your journey, outstretches your time of return?

We all know that sometimes, our jobs would require us to stay out of our neighborhood, for more than a week, and even culminating to a year, in some instance.

How do you ensure the BATTERIES on your hybrid electric vehicle, isn't a liability, in terms of repairs/replacement?

Below are simple strategies you could employ to protect/preserve the batteries.

Enjoy the read(lots of pictures available).

http://www.dxta.net.ng/2018/09/22/hybrid-and-elect…ng-the-batteries/

Pic1: battery pack ready to be disassembled
Pic2: Battery pack in the rear of a Camry 08 hybrid

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Lagos, Nigeria
www.dxta.net.ng

Re: Preserving The HYBRID BATTERIES Before Traveling by Airborne02(m): 9:07am On Sep 23, 2018
Following
Re: Preserving The HYBRID BATTERIES Before Traveling by Mrtesso: 2:25pm On Feb 10, 2019
Hello Joseph, greetings. I read an article comparing the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid system against the Toyota hybrid synergy drive (based on Toyota's THS-II technology). I realized other companies do not use the nickel metal hydride batteries like the THS-II. There's the use of Lithium-ion, and then the Lithium polymer battery designs. They seem to argue that the Lithium Polymer battery (an improvement on the Li-ion) has better power density; lasts longer on a single charge, has less weight and conserves more room in vehicle designs.

What is your opinion?

Which is better?

Can these batteries be interchanged(i.e can the Nickel metal hydride batteries unit on a Toyota hybrid be replaced with Lithium polymer unit)
Re: Preserving The HYBRID BATTERIES Before Traveling by TRYGO(m): 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2019
@Mrtesso.
Lithium ion batteries, are an improvement on the existing NIMH batteries you see around.

Actually, just like you've said, about their characteristics, they are light weight, with somewhat a longer range(charge cycles) than their nickel metal hydride counterparts.

They can't be interchanged on hybrid vehicles designed for nickel metal hydride packs, because of the different design criterion on the BMS(battery management system) of such a system.

For instance, if my memory serves me right, lithium ion chemistries have a max peak voltage of ~4.2volts or so, while some nickel metal hydride batteries, have got say, 7.2volt resting voltage(THSD).

So trying to integrate a lithium ion based chemistry into a nickel metal hydride one, would never work.

It would only work, if you as a whole can reverse engineer the BMS of the vehicle concerned.

Remember, lithium ion batteries are dangerous, when necessary precautions are not adhered to.

They need extreme cooling systems to make them perform, optimally.

Hope this reply helps shed some light to your questions sir?!

Regards,
Joseph

PS: Your moniker looks lime you're from ..., hope you know what I mean?
If you know UNIAGRIC, you'd understand what I'm saying.

(1) (Reply)

Low Budget Toyota Cars / How Do You Know If The Mileage Of A Vehicle Has Been Rolled Back? / PLS Help Before I Loose My Gear Box... Money No Dey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.