Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? (357 Views)

Nigerian Christians Pray For Joe Biden's Votes To Be Upturned (Video) / Christians Pray To Water Stain 'Shaped Like Virgin Mary' In Colombia / Apostle Suleman: Christians Pray For Donald Trump Over Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by Onyemadonald(m): 7:36am On Sep 23, 2018
2 years ago, while I was doing my compulsory one year national service in Katsina State, I visited a Redeemed church somewhere around Gomad due to the boringness of Winner's chapel, Katsina.

The pastor at the redeemed church said that God doesn't answer the prayers of Muslims but answers the prayers of Christians alone because they pray in the name of Jesus. I didn't agree with what he said though but I joined in shouting "pastor ride on sir" just like the other members shouted.

I got home to search the bible verses about prayer and discovered the following.
1. When Jesus taught his disciples how to pray, he didn't instruct them to pray in his name.

“This is how you should pray.
“ ‘Our Father in heaven,
may Your name be honored.
May Your kingdom come.
May what You want to happen be done
on earth as it is done in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
just as we also have forgiven those who sin against us.
Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted.
Save us from the evil one." - Matthew 6:9-15

2. When Jesus went to the mountain to pray while his disciples were sleeping, he prayed to God directly without praying in his name.

So please, where did the modern days Christians get praying in the name of Jesus from while even Jesus himself didn't ask us to pray in his name.

Written by: Onyema Donald. onyemadonald@yahoo.com
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by chiefolododo(m): 7:41am On Sep 23, 2018
J.E.S U.S
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 23, 2018
Read John 14:6

Onyemadonald:
2 years ago, while I was doing my compulsory one year national service in Katsina State, I visited a Redeemed church somewhere around Gomad due to the boringness of Winner's chapel, Katsina.

The pastor at the redeemed church said that God doesn't answer the prayers of Muslims but answers the prayers of Christians alone because they pray in the name of Jesus. I didn't agree with what he said though but I joined in shouting "pastor ride on sir" just like the other members shouted.

I got home to search the bible verses about prayer and discovered the following.
1. When Jesus taught his disciples how to pray, he didn't instruct them to pray in his name.

“ ‘Our Father in heaven,
May Your kingdom come.
Forgive us our sins,

2. When Jesus went to the mountain to pray while his disciples were sleeping, he prayed to God directly without praying in his name.

So please, where did the modern days Christians get praying in the name of Jesus from while even Jesus himself didn't ask us to pray in his name.

Written by: Onyema Donald. onyemadonald@yahoo.com
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by Veektov(m): 7:53am On Sep 23, 2018
John 16: 23. In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. -

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by amaniro: 8:15am On Sep 23, 2018
Dumb man. When Jesus told them how to pray he was being more or less sacarstic. It's even written in the scripture those who pray in the spirit prays it best. The pastor is an ignoramus for not knowing we don't worship the same God. PS no one should quote me am counting osun gubernatorial result.
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by dangermouse(m): 8:28am On Sep 23, 2018
what ever you ask in my NAME and truly believe in ur heart, you shall have it. I and my father are one, no one comes to my father except through me. Don't know the bible verses, but if you are a Christian as you stated above, then you must surely know how powerful the name JESUS is.

At the mention of my name"JESUS", every knee shall bow,and every tongue would confess.
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by nwamabo247(m): 9:23am On Sep 23, 2018
Happy sunday NAIRALANDERS please i need your help my name is celestine nwankwo,a 28yrs old. for past 11yrs
now i have been down
with spinal cord injure
my father has been blind
for over 30yrs now.my
seniors brothers
business is not moving
fine.they the ones taking
care of our feeding and
medications(i.e me and my old parent).but right now
things are very bad for
us no money to eat
again hunger is dealing with
us.please i need ur
prayer and finacial
help.thank and God bless You.09027837654
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Feb 15
Onyemadonald:
■ 2 years ago, while I was doing my compulsory one year national service in Katsina State, I visited a Redeemed church somewhere around Gomad due to the boringness of Winner's chapel, Katsina.
“ ‘Our Father in heaven,
May Your kingdom come.
Forgive us our sins,
The Christians aside, the reason a follower of Jesus Christ would pray in the name of Jesus Christ is primarily because Jesus Christ is the Covenant/Contract which defines the very blessings that His followers can access when they pray to the Father. Followers of Jesus Christ cannot pray in the Name of YHWH because YHWH already judged and condemned all the House of Israel under His Old Law so all that emanates from that Law to all living as the curses which God afflicted all born of the blood of Jacob with from over 1900 years ago — the end times. Jesus Christ is the path to redemption which the Father made available to all of the Lost sheep of Israel — those condemned under the Old Law. And so to access the redemption made available, not only must one believe in Jesus Christ but one must also obey Jesus Christ and pray in His name. undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Pray In The Name Of Jesus? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:24am On Feb 15
They are misinformed churchgoers not Christians!

Jesus used to pray to God in the name of YHWH pronounced YAHWEH or JEHOVAH.

The statement churchgoers misquoted which is the reason why they're praying to Jesus is:

Also, whatever you ask in my name, I will do this, so that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:12-13

Here Jesus wasn't directing them to pray to him rather he was telling them that since the work he assigned to them @ Matthew 10 is overwhelming they will need him to continue directing them in doing this work but now that he is going back to his own home {John 14:6} and they can't go immediately with him they should not feel discouraged because he will be with them as a spirit person anytime his help is needed {Matthew 18:20} he is not leaving them completely. Matthew 28:20

So they're to continue seeing him as their leader who will always be there to direct the work he assigned to them {Matthew 28:19} but when it comes to the person to whom they are to direct their prayers to Jesus said:

“Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’” John 20:17

This means that Christians are Jesus' brothers and sisters {Matthew 12:26-50} we all know that God is no one's brother because He has never referred to anyone as His brother before so the person to whom Jesus was directing his prayers is the same person we are to direct our prayers.
The problem most readers have today is that most translators have removed God's name in their translations replacing the name with the title "LORD"
Whenever you're reading the KJV and you come across the title LORD what was originally written there is YHWH pronounced YAHWEH or JEHOVAH.
That is the person we should pray to not Jesus!

(1) (Reply)

Using Of The Left Hand / Top Ten Reasons To Be An Atheist / Are You An Unfriendly Friend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.