Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse (1957 Views)

Lekki Doctor Slaps And Flogs Nurse, Orders Her To Kneel Down / Steps To Become A Registered Nurse In Nigeria / Is It Really Bad To Eat Or Chew Guava Seeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by ggnggroup: 9:32pm On Sep 25, 2018
pls i need sincere and matured responses.....
is it advisable to go for chew nursing in a school of health? ,,, i have made several attempts to get admitted to a college of nursing and midwifery but without success..... d last failure is just about a week ago.... i now have the opportunity to go for "chew" in a school of health however am skeptical about the future... is "chew" worth doing Plssssssss
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by zinnydan(f): 9:34pm On Sep 25, 2018
Follow your heart and do what you love doing
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by ggnggroup: 9:37pm On Sep 25, 2018
zinnydan:
Follow your heart and do what you love doing

My heart is to go for the nursing but at ds point am a little confused.... does "chew" have any slightest opportunity out there... thats what am looking for enlightenment on..... plss
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by Dhestyny(f): 1:11am On Sep 27, 2018
I'd Advic U 2b Patient So U Dnt Rgret Doin D Alt
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by Mizessy: 6:41pm On Jun 04, 2023
I was in a situation like this before. My experience is one that I won't want anyone to go through that's why I'm writing this. I tried going for nursing at first, I wrote the exam, but it wasn't successful. I didn't really believe in myself cos people told me it was too difficult to get into school of nursing and even after a successful entrance and paying high tuition, they'll still do weeding exam after 6 months and unsuccessful candidates will be kicked out. I didn't believe in myself so I just took people's advice cos I also know about people that have tried to but didn't work for them. I also didn't believe in myself because I felt I wasn't smart enough cos its believed that nursing school is for extremely smart students. In secondary school I only managed to pass my chemistry and physics. I even struggled to maintain my average position.

I took the form again and this time, I took the community health form too so that if anyone works or both works out, I'll choose nursing. You know the normal process, after exam they'd call for interview. It so happened that the Community health exam came first which was okay, meaning it'll be the interview I have to go for next. But the interview date for the CHEW fell on thesame day as the nursing entrance exam. I didn't know what to do. I didn't have confidence in myself that I'll pass the nursing exam. I cried so many times. The night to the exam, I cried all through. I was advised that I can't pursue two rats at thesame time, I might end up losing the both and then spend another year waiting for nursing form to come out again and who knows if it'll work the next year and I'll end up taking the CHEW at the end of the day. That's how I went to for the CHEW interview. I just thought to myself that its not that bad afterall, CHEWs can take delivery and work like a normal nurse, no one will even know you're not a nurse. Naive me. I went for the interview and forfeited the Nursing exam. My heart was heavy and I cried profusely.
Anyway, the interview was successful.

Then I started classes.
It wasn't what I expected. I went to a good private school and had good expectations from this institution, at least I'm in school now.
The standard of lecture was just so low, even me that felt I was a dullard knew this place is not meeting to standard. I was among the few smartest people in the class. I knew classes should at least have some degree of competition, but it wasn't competitive at all. Many of the lecturers were student of the school and just went for about 1 year program before coming to teach in the school, so you'd understand the standard of lectures we were getting. I was surprised to see youth corpers posted to the school for nysc. I just felt like, so this school is really an advanced secondary school like they say. I was even more pained to understand that CHEWs cannot work independently except under supervision even after graduation. I felt out of place especially when younger lecturers with University degrees would come to teach but the students would complain that they don't understand. Small physics and chemistry that is baaic knowledge in secondary school, my classmates would say they don't know it. I couldn't even have a smart intelligent conversation with your classmates. They'd say I form too much. Only few people speak correct English, the others are pidgin English all the way. Lol. People that really wanted to speak English struggled with it, even the lecturers were not helping cos their Grammer was worse. I felt bad but I told myself that I know what I came here for.

For practical aspect, the school I went to didn't really focus on practical in school. Some of the students in the class were auxiliary nurses, some chemist shop owners, some were learning pharmacy business and just decided to come to the school to have a certificate in health. Those set of people I just mentioned already have some experience with patients, so lecturers just assumed we already know practical aspects. There's no real training in the school except it's time for practical exam and you just meet your seniors to tell you how the practical exam is done. The lecturers don't prepare you for the practical exam or how to go about it.

There's practical posting for about 2 months each year. We were mostly posted to private hospitals. Auxiliary nurses usually worked there. We weren't assigned to any nurse or doctor in particular and it wasn't really monitored. I tried to help myself by getting close to a particular nurse (not registered nurse though, she's called a nurse in the hospital. In fact, there's no registered nurse in that hospital) and she helped me. I learnt a lot from her. People that didn't take the practical posting seriously were just there. Students behaved like market women speaking pidgin everywhere and no coordination whatsoever.
The only government hospitals that we managed to go to for practicals, the nurses and midwives didn't really welcome us. They asked us to go to the immunization area, they said that's where we belong. There's this general idea among health workers that CHEWs are dullards and I can't really blame them because many of us don't really respect ourselves.

The second practical posting was to health centres. We met our fellow CHEWs in the field. We felt at home because they were CHEWs too. We were allowed to carry out some procedures under supervision. But the health center I was posted to wasn't very busy, so we didn't really get to see much cases.
People would see us outside and say "hey nurse". They call us nurses. Even many of us, if they ask us what our profession is, we'd say we are nurses. We aren't nurses, and it's hard explaining it to people. At the end of the day, they'd say... Abeg I don't understand that one you're saying, you treat people hence you're a nurse. It's really sad cos it takes thesame 3 years to study Community health, and thesame 3 years to study nursing. The bad thing is, you're not taught how to treat people in the school, you're not taught in practical how to take deliveries. Sad to say, only few of us took deliveries under during practical posting (less than 10% of the class) I'm among the majority that didn't. Throughout my 3 years of training, I didn't even take an assisted delivery, and it is true of over 60% of the class. Many cannot even treat an ailment. Now we're graduates and out of school, ready to go and treat people with this little training. Many graduates have decided to go and gain experience at some private hospitals for about 6 months or a year before they can confidently say they are health workers.

I was disappointed with what I experienced in the school. In my second year, I wrote and entrance for a midwifery school and I passed with almost 70%. I just wanted to drop out and continue with the midwifery, but it didn't make sense to me. So I waited till I graduated. I wrote another exam to nursing and I passed. I'm currently doing my nursing degree and I realized I'm not really dumb. I just wasn't interested in physics and chemistry then that's why I didn't pass then. But since my heart has been yearning for the nursing, I took it seriously and I passed.

If you're going for community health, understand you're not studying nursing and also understand that the training is different. You should be prepared for what you'll get.

I see many people today searching for nursing schools, and one person out of nowhere will start suggesting school of health that it's a nursing school. Some have fallen for this. One of my classmates then said she didn't know it wasn't thesame as pure nursing until she stared the CHEW program. If you're recommending school of health for anyone, help them understand that it's not nursing. When I was still in school of health, somebody came to take form. She came with her father, he said he is looking for where they'll take the nursing form. If it was someone else they saw, they'd have directed them to collect the community health form. But I told the man and his daughter that nursing is not offered in the school. Then they'll be the one to decide if they'll take the form or not.

If you're suggesting CHEW for anyone, help them understand the difference between CHEW and nursing so they can make informed decision about their future.

Shalom smiley

3 Likes

Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by udede(m): 8:23am On Jun 05, 2023
Abeg wetin be"chew" Nurse ?
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by Mizessy: 3:19am On Jun 06, 2023
There's nothing like CHEW nurse. It's either a Registered nurse, or a CHEW (Community Health Extension Workers) usually works in health centers.
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by Tizu(m): 11:52am On Jul 13, 2023
God bless you for this detailed educational piece.
I appreciate your concern to teach others so that they won't make mistakes.

quote author=Mizessy post=123572746]I was in a situation like this before. My experience is one that I won't want anyone to go through that's why I'm writing this. I tried going for nursing at first, I wrote the exam, but it wasn't successful. I didn't really believe in myself cos people told me it was too difficult to get into school of nursing and even after a successful entrance and paying high tuition, they'll still do weeding exam after 6 months and unsuccessful candidates will be kicked out. I didn't believe in myself so I just took people's advice cos I also know about people that have tried to but didn't work for them. I also didn't believe in myself because I felt I wasn't smart enough cos its believed that nursing school is for extremely smart students. In secondary school I only managed to pass my chemistry and physics. I even struggled to maintain my average position.

I took the form again and this time, I took the community health form too so that if anyone works or both works out, I'll choose nursing. You know the normal process, after exam they'd call for interview. It so happened that the Community health exam came first which was okay, meaning it'll be the interview I have to go for next. But the interview date for the CHEW fell on thesame day as the nursing entrance exam. I didn't know what to do. I didn't have confidence in myself that I'll pass the nursing exam. I cried so many times. The night to the exam, I cried all through. I was advised that I can't pursue two rats at thesame time, I might end up losing the both and then spend another year waiting for nursing form to come out again and who knows if it'll work the next year and I'll end up taking the CHEW at the end of the day. That's how I went to for the CHEW interview. I just thought to myself that its not that bad afterall, CHEWs can take delivery and work like a normal nurse, no one will even know you're not a nurse. Naive me. I went for the interview and forfeited the Nursing exam. My heart was heavy and I cried profusely.

Then I started classes.
It wasn't what I expected. I went to a good private school and had good expectations from this institution, at least I'm in school now.
The standard of lecture was just so low, even me that felt I was a dullard knew this place is not meeting to standard. I was among the few smartest people in the class. I knew classes should at least have some degree of competition, but it wasn't competitive at all. Many of the lecturers were student of the school and just went for about 1 year program before coming to teach in the school, so you'd understand the standard of lectures we were getting. I was surprised to see youth corpers posted to the school for nysc. I just felt like, so this school is really an advanced secondary school like they say. I was even more pained to understand that CHEWs cannot work independently except under supervision even after graduation. I felt out of place especially when younger lecturers with University degrees would come to teach but the students would complain that they don't understand. Small physics and chemistry that is baaic knowledge in secondary school, my classmates would say they don't know it. I couldn't even have a smart intelligent conversation with your classmates. They'd say I form too much. Only few people speak correct English, the others are pidgin English all the way. Lol. People that really wanted to speak English struggled with it, even the lecturers were not helping cos their Grammer was worse. I felt bad but I told myself that I know what I came here for.

For practical aspect, the school I went to didn't really focus on practical in school. Some of the students in the class were auxiliary nurses, some chemist shop owners, some were learning pharmacy business and just decided to come to the school to have a certificate in health. Those set of people I just mentioned already have some experience with patients, so lecturers just assumed we already know practical aspects. There's no real training in the school except it's time for practical exam and you just meet your seniors to tell you how the practical exam is done. The lecturers don't prepare you for the practical exam or how to go about it.

There's practical posting for about 2 months each year. We were mostly posted to private hospitals. Auxiliary nurses usually worked there. We weren't assigned to any nurse or doctor in particular and it wasn't really monitored. I tried to help myself by getting close to a particular nurse (not registered nurse though, she's called a nurse in the hospital. In fact, there's no registered nurse in that hospital) and she helped me. I learnt a lot from her. People that didn't take the practical posting seriously were just there. Students behaved like market women speaking pidgin everywhere and no coordination whatsoever.
The only government hospitals that we managed to go to for practicals, the nurses and midwives didn't really welcome us. They asked us to go to the immunization area, they said that's where we belong. There's this general idea among health workers that CHEWs are dullards and I can't really blame them because many of us don't really respect ourselves.

The second practical posting was to health centres. We met our fellow CHEWs in the field. We felt at home because they were CHEWs too. We were allowed to carry out some procedures under supervision. But the health center I was posted to wasn't very busy, so we didn't really get to see much cases.
People would see us outside and say "hey nurse". They call us nurses. Even many of us, if they ask us what our profession is, we'd say we are nurses. We aren't nurses, and it's hard explaining it to people. At the end of the day, they'd say... Abeg I don't understand that one you're saying, you treat people hence you're a nurse. It's really sad cos it takes thesame 3 years to study Community health, and thesame 3 years to study nursing. The bad thing is, you're not taught how to treat people in the school, you're not taught in practical how to take deliveries. Sad to say, only few of us took deliveries under during practical posting (less than 10% of the class) I'm among the majority that didn't. Throughout my 3 years of training, I didn't even take an assisted delivery, and it is true of over 60% of the class. Many cannot even treat an ailment. Now we're graduates and out of school, ready to go and treat people with this little training. Many graduates have decided to go and gain experience at some private hospitals for about 6 months or a year before they can confidently say they are health workers.

I was disappointed with what I experienced in the school. In my second year, I wrote and entrance for a midwifery school and I passed with almost 70%. I just wanted to drop out and continue with the midwifery, but it didn't make sense to me. So I waited till I graduated. I wrote another exam to nursing and I passed. I'm currently doing my nursing degree and I realized I'm not really dumb. I just wasn't interested in physics and chemistry then that's why I didn't pass then. But since my heart has been yearning for the nursing, I took it seriously and I passed.

If you're going for community health, understand you're not studying nursing and also understand that the training is different. You should be prepared for what you'll get.

I see many people today searching for nursing schools, and one person out of nowhere will start suggesting school of health that it's a nursing school. Some have fallen for this. One of my classmates then said she didn't know it wasn't thesame as pure nursing until she stared the CHEW program. If you're recommending school of health for anyone, help them understand that it's not nursing. When I was still in school of health, somebody came to take form. She came with her father, he said he is looking for where they'll take the nursing form. If it was someone else they saw, they'd have directed them to collect the community health form. But I told the man and his daughter that nursing is not offered in the school. Then they'll be the one to decide if they'll take the form or not.

If you're suggesting CHEW for anyone, help them understand the difference between CHEW and nursing so they can make informed decision about their future.

Shalom smiley

[/quote]
Re: Registered Nurse / Chew Nurse..... any hope as a chew nurse by kumbhuru: 7:04am On Aug 20, 2023
Mizessy:
I was in a situation like this before. My experience is one that I won't want anyone to go through that's why I'm writing this. I tried going for nursing at first, I wrote the exam, but it wasn't successful. I didn't really believe in myself cos people told me it was too difficult to get into school of nursing and even after a successful entrance and paying high tuition, they'll still do weeding exam after 6 months and unsuccessful candidates will be kicked out. I didn't believe in myself so I just took people's advice cos I also know about people that have tried to but didn't work for them. I also didn't believe in myself because I felt I wasn't smart enough cos its believed that nursing school is for extremely smart students. In secondary school I only managed to pass my chemistry and physics. I even struggled to maintain my average position.

Then I started classes.

Shalom smiley

Hopes someone sees this and explain to you

(1) (Reply)

Losing Weight With Laxatives / 20 Reasons Why You Should Be A Nurse / Rogaine Hair Regrowth Foam.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.