Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Why Labour Must Suspend Its Planned Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Labour Must Suspend Its Planned Strike (368 Views)

Labour Must Respect Subsisting Court Order - Attorney-General, Fagbemi / Why Labour Party Can’t Prove Election Malpractices In Lagos – Robert Clark / Peter Obi: Why Labour Party Was Denied Use Of Stadium In Edo – Obaseki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Labour Must Suspend Its Planned Strike by eyesofthegods: 4:06pm On Sep 26, 2018
Let me start by saying that I have worked for the Government for several years and have enjoyed few upward reviews in wages. I must also add that Nigerian workers at all levels deserve urgent review in their wages in view of the prevailing economic realities. However, it is my humble opinion that efforts by Organized Labour to tacitly coerce the Federal Government into hurriedly assembling a package for the workers would be counterproductive and ultimately lead to a calamitous end.

Recall that in February, 2011 after the National Assembly considered and passed New Minimum Wage Bill drafted by the tripartite Presidential Committee on National Minimum Wage, headed by Chief Justice Alfa Modibbo Belgore, former President Jonathan signed it into law.
Although the tortuous journey to N18, 000 had started in 2008 when Labour set up an internal committee to work out an appropriate minimum wage, Government at all levels reluctantly accepted the new figure few months to the general elections. This was primarily because the general election was around the corner and government played ball because they wanted to be reelected.

Months after the Bill was passed, and some of them were elected, they reneged on the agreement, claiming that their states were no longer viable to pay the minimum wage. Some even canvassed for wage autonomy, such that individual states can determine what they can pay to workers.

In February 2018, seven years after the current minimum wage was institutionalized, Labour lamented that 33 states owed workers months of salary arrears. Bobboi Kaigama of the Trade Union Congress (TUC) who made the disclosure was asked how the affected states would fare when the new minimum wage comes on stream. He merely called for the resignation of governors owing workers. Apart from the inability of states and Local Government to meet this obligation, the private sector also could not pay the agreed wage.

The question now is, would the states, local government and the private sector be able to pay the new minimum wage, if the Minister of Employment announces one today? For me, Dr. Chris Ngige has taken all these into consideration, hence his decision to meet with relevant stakeholders with a view to arriving at a mutually acceptable figure that would not throw up similar challenge. While Labour had since tabled and canvassed support for its proposal, the Minister knows how many state governments that are privately expressing anxiety. That may have informed his new move.

Labour probably believes, this is the time to gag politicians into doing its bidding. My fears are that these politicians, if pushed too hard may make unrealistic commitment. This could lead to issues of nonpayment of salaries from June 2019 after they must have secured their return to the various offices.

Labour should quickly see through this and support Ngige to reach realistic pact with stakeholders. The more they shy away from this consultation and dialogue, the more workers would wait in agony.
Re: Why Labour Must Suspend Its Planned Strike by tech18: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2018
eyesofthegods:
Let me start by saying that I have worked for the Government for several years and have enjoyed few upward reviews in wages. I must also add that Nigerian workers at all levels deserve urgent review in their wages in view of the prevailing economic realities. However, it is my humble opinion that efforts by Organized Labour to tacitly coerce the Federal Government into hurriedly assembling a package for the workers would be counterproductive and ultimately lead to a calamitous end.

Recall that in February, 2011 after the National Assembly considered and passed New Minimum Wage Bill drafted by the tripartite Presidential Committee on National Minimum Wage, headed by Chief Justice Alfa Modibbo Belgore, former President Jonathan signed it into law.
Although the tortuous journey to N18, 000 had started in 2008 when Labour set up an internal committee to work out an appropriate minimum wage, Government at all levels reluctantly accepted the new figure few months to the general elections. This was primarily because the general election was around the corner and government played ball because they wanted to be reelected.

Months after the Bill was passed, and some of them were elected, they reneged on the agreement, claiming that their states were no longer viable to pay the minimum wage. Some even canvassed for wage autonomy, such that individual states can determine what they can pay to workers.

In February 2018, seven years after the current minimum wage was institutionalized, Labour lamented that 33 states owed workers months of salary arrears. Bobboi Kaigama of the Trade Union Congress (TUC) who made the disclosure was asked how the affected states would fare when the new minimum wage comes on stream. He merely called for the resignation of governors owing workers. Apart from the inability of states and Local Government to meet this obligation, the private sector also could not pay the agreed wage.

The question now is, would the states, local government and the private sector be able to pay the new minimum wage, if the Minister of Employment announces one today? For me, Dr. Chris Ngige has taken all these into consideration, hence his decision to meet with relevant stakeholders with a view to arriving at a mutually acceptable figure that would not throw up similar challenge. While Labour had since tabled and canvassed support for its proposal, the Minister knows how many state governments that are privately expressing anxiety. That may have informed his new move.

Labour probably believes, this is the time to gag politicians into doing its bidding. My fears are that these politicians, if pushed too hard may make unrealistic commitment. This could lead to issues of nonpayment of salaries from June 2019 after they must have secured their return to the various offices.

Labour should quickly see through this and support Ngige to reach realistic pact with stakeholders. The more they shy away from this consultation and dialogue, the more workers would wait in agony.

I concur with your opinion, but the committee had enough(November 2017-date) time to deliberate and arrive at a figure.Moreover, there are representatives of the private sector,the FG and the Nigerian Governors Forum as members of the committee.The minister of Labour Dr. Chris Ngige has lamented on the inability of the NGF to bring/propose a figure they want as minimum wage.I think the strike action is the best for now

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Osun Rerun: You Are An Uninformed Political Novice – APC Fires Davido / How To Restructure Nigeria(biafra Solved) / BREAKING: NWC Cancels Lagos APC Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.