Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,015 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

How To Improve Your Math Skills - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Improve Your Math Skills (11996 Views)

Come And Test Your Math Skills With This Simple Math Problem / What Can You Say About Your Math Teacher / See What Kenyan Student Did When He Was Given A Difficult Math Question In Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Improve Your Math Skills by akeentech(m): 8:51am On Sep 27, 2018
Mathematics tends to be one of those subjects that can bring out the worst in any student. With no proper knowledge and understanding, many students can be understandably frustrated by math.

In fact, the vast majority of primary, secondary and tertiary students claim that math is their most difficult subject or course. Many of college students will be contented with a “C” grade in any mathematics related course.

Unfortunately, most of these same students are convinced that mathematics it is simply a subject that they will never understand, however that is not the case. With just a couple of minor changes to their study habits and their outlook, these students can excel in mathematics.

#1. Focus on the concept, and not just the equation
Many students find that they have an easier time in mathematics if they actually understand what they are doing and why they are doing it. To improve your math skills try not to spend a lot of time drilling equations and formulas, but rather look at each issue and contemplate what it is asking of you.

#2. Stay positive
It’s very easy to become negative and frustrated when you are uncertain about a problem, however those feelings is only going to add more stress to the situation. Rather, remind yourself that you can solve the problem if you stay focused.

#3. Keep it fun
After so many hours of staring at math problems, the brain can become somewhat fuzzy. Try to improve your math skills through various card games and any other fun activities.

The game “24,” with its many variations, is a popular game for reinforcing mathematics skills. You can find it, alongside other similar games, at Playstore, Amazon.com and other online stores.

Work the issues out in your mind or on paper. Keep away from the compulsion to utilize the number cruncher or PC for issues that you can settle without them.

#4. Work the problems out on paper or in your head
Avoid the temptation to use the computer or calculator for problems that you can solve without them. Frequent uses of calculator or computer will program your brain to only use calculator for the problem you can solve using your brain.

#5. Hire a tutor
If you have tried everything else, despite everything you don’t see improvement, you may need additional help. Search online or the local classifieds sources such as Craigslist for a tutor that will meet your budget and need.

#6. Don’t wait too long to ask for help
As soon as you feel yourself falling behind, seek help, whether it be from a teacher, friend or a relative. There are also a number of sites and Apps that offer specific help to improve your math skills.

I believe if you can make use of the aforementioned ways above you will not only improve your math skills but also be a math tutor. Thanks for reading and feel free to drop your comment on “how to improve your math skills” in case you have any.

Source:https://www.akeentech.com/how-to-improve-your-math-skills/

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by akeentech(m): 12:30pm On Sep 27, 2018
#6. Don’t wait too long to ask for help
As soon as you feel yourself falling behind, seek help, whether it be from a teacher, friend or a relative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by akeentech(m): 7:13am On Sep 28, 2018
ranoldF:
Great tips! Thank you! Also, I've visit homepage of your website and you write great content! I'm going to use it in my next essays.

Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by mindful01: 9:08am On Sep 28, 2018
This is a commendable effort from the OP, Students have to see this especially non science students

2 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by akeentech(m): 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2018
CC: Lalasticlala, mynd44, 9jayes

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:48am On Sep 29, 2018
Very Good Thread......

Maybe this is exactly what some people need at this moment!

Thumbs up OP!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by opeyehmmy(m): 7:48am On Sep 29, 2018
MATHENONSENSE

4 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by pelezic60: 7:49am On Sep 29, 2018
smiley
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by otunde527: 7:50am On Sep 29, 2018
Working mathematics without calculartor

That's the only way

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by TechConsult: 7:50am On Sep 29, 2018
Lmfai
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by segebobo: 7:51am On Sep 29, 2018
Constant practice shouldn't be ignored

5 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by jyz200(m): 7:53am On Sep 29, 2018
I think some student are not just good in maths Its a natural thing U can't no it all

2 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by stano2(m): 7:56am On Sep 29, 2018
I really tried my best but maths never got easy for me.

Ome ka ona agba sometimes na page 1, page 2 engine a knock o.

Check my signature, I have a laptop for sale.. Best deal ever

7 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by holyfather(m): 7:57am On Sep 29, 2018
Mathematics... My first love back in the days. grin

5 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by akeentech(m): 7:57am On Sep 29, 2018
stano2:
I really tried my best but maths never got easy for me

You never try harder
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 29, 2018
cry angry
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by femi4: 8:00am On Sep 29, 2018
Solving similar problems over and over again
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by ikbnice(m): 8:01am On Sep 29, 2018
First discard the notion that mathematics is a difficult subject that you can't know.
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by femi4: 8:02am On Sep 29, 2018
stano2:
I really tried my best but maths never got easy for me
Start from what you know to the unknown.

If your foundation is poor, forget it! Maths is progressive
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by tech18: 8:09am On Sep 29, 2018
With constant practice and determination, Mathematics is the best and one of the simplest subjects.

Solve more problems on your own.
Get good set of text books that correspond with your level of study
Solve enough End of Module Questions
Treat past Questions
Mark those you can't solve
Ask a tutor or anyone that can help you on that
As someone said above ,don't use calculator for simple mathematical operations.

5 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:09am On Sep 29, 2018
Mathematik ist Spaß (Mathematics is fun), but some students are not just good at it. Maybe lack of interest from them and some teachers are not helping. I remembered one of my mathematics teachers the man is a disaster, the only thing he knows how to say is ; "you will fail". Thanks to Mr Anyanwu and Mr Kehinde Oladimeji (now a pastor) that boosted my morale.
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by akeentech(m): 8:10am On Sep 29, 2018
holyfather:
Mathematics... My first love back in the days. grin

And now?
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by sweetilicious(f): 8:12am On Sep 29, 2018
opeyehmmy:
MATHENONSENSE
Without the knowledge of English and mathematics, you can barely become something whether little in life.Even a Barrow pusher cannot survive without it in his job.Ask me how.
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by banom(m): 8:15am On Sep 29, 2018
Maths....my best subject alongside economics. I love them both. .. It might surprise many to find out I was originally very poor and terrible at mathematics, it took constant practice, love for the subject and seriousness for me to start understanding the subject .... And latter became the best in my school in mathematics... From poorest in it to the very best.... Indeed no mountain is too high.

3 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by banom(m): 8:21am On Sep 29, 2018
stano2:
but I can't come and kill myself na.
I had a friend in school, he was the best in maths then.
English (zero)
Agric(zero)
Handwriting (zero) but when it comes to maths he's father father, it was just like biscuits to him.
He taught me, still nothing entered.
So i sit with him during maths exam and he sits with me during computer, Chemistry and Geography. Trade by barter.

I have a brand new laptop for sale at give away price.
Whatsapp_____081=0604=0717

Lol. Bro are you sure I wasn't the one you talked about as that was exactly my case. It was such arrangements that I used to pass other subjects then.
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by Ashley86400: 8:29am On Sep 29, 2018
Gaddafithe2nd:
Mathematik ist Spaß (Mathematics is fun), but some students are not just good at it. Maybe lack of interest from them and some teachers are not helping. I remembered one of my mathematics teacher the man is a disaster, the only thing he knows how to say is ; "you will fail". Thanks to Mr Anyanwu and Mr Kehinde Oladimeji (now a pastor) that boosted my morale.
When it comes to English, Biology and other subjects, e sweet die. . .but when it comes to Maths. Kiene Ahnung. Mathematik macht keinen spaß kan kan o. . .

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by pinknipple: 8:32am On Sep 29, 2018
Can the dullard from duara attempt any question in maths?
if no,we really do have noting to worry about

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:34am On Sep 29, 2018
Ashley86400:

When it comes to English, Biology and other subjects, e sweet die. . .but when it comes to Maths. Kiene Ahnung. Mathematik macht keinen spaß kan kan o. . .
Ich denke es ist alle über interessant. Even if I should forget some concept, once I pick my textbook, everything comes back to my brain. Well we can't have everything in this life.
Re: How To Improve Your Math Skills by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 29, 2018
Maths remains the simplest subject in the world

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU - FG To Continue Negotiation Tomorrow (friday) / / Unilag Dli Screening Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.