Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,313 members, 7,954,256 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:30 PM

Oil Tanker - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Oil Tanker (1290 Views)

10 People Roasted In Lagos Tanker Fire / Prospects Of Owning An Oil Tanker In Lagos. / Vessel Oil Tanker For Lease,renting Of Tug,house Boats,barges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Tanker by Omowanijoo: 4:26am On Jul 09, 2010
Hello People , a quick question , is the oil tanker ( ships) lucrative in Naija and secondly how does one get a ship from China with all the pirate stuff in Somalia right now ?
Re: Oil Tanker by Omowanijoo: 5:08pm On Jul 09, 2010
Any help here people
Re: Oil Tanker by KunleA2(m): 1:51am On Jul 10, 2010
Oil tankers are not small investment. there are things that you need to consider before you embark on such venture.

1. Insurance: Because of the products (oil) you will be transporting, most countries will REQUIRE that you have a valid insurance before crossing their water. That way, if there is an accident or oil spill, the insurance will be responsible for clean up.
Also, the customer wants to be reimbursed if there is accident.

2. Age of Vessel: This ties a little with insurance. Most insurance company will not insure a ship that's too old. The storage tank might rupture and they don't want to take a chance.

3. Crew: You will need at least 3 standby crew on rotation to manage the ship. Each crew will consist of captain, mechanic, deck hands etc. Since these guys will not be working round the clock hence you need rotation.

4. Most clients will not allow you to lift their products if all these are in place.

5. Maintenance record: Reputable captain and insurance company will not take chance of vessels with dodgy or shady maintenance records. As a captain of a ship, i don't want to be stuck on high seas because the ship broke down due to non maintenance.
The client too will hate to wait and wait for product if your ship is constantly breaking down.

These are things that you need to put into focus before going into the business.

Good luck
Re: Oil Tanker by Omowanijoo: 4:34am On Jul 10, 2010
Kunle

Thanks a lot I appreciate it, I know that some of these costs are associated with the tonnage of the ship in question , assuming we are dealing with a 2500 DWT ship could you give me a rough estimate of the potential cost especially if we are plying naija waters only smiley
Re: Oil Tanker by KunleA2(m): 4:53am On Jul 10, 2010
Unfortunately, i am not familiar with Naija's oil business environment. I am hoping that someone else will wade in

By the way, what are your plans for Naija waters? i mean from where to where? Just wondering. undecided
Re: Oil Tanker by Omowanijoo: 5:01am On Jul 10, 2010
It might be from the Delta to Lagos ( freighting for the most part)
Re: Oil Tanker by KunleA2(m): 6:32am On Jul 10, 2010
Omowanijoo:

It might be from the Delta to Lagos ( freighting for the most part)

[b]You need to do a little more research on that. Since most refineries always have a direct pipe carrying the finished product from there to the storage area and other parts of the country (thats why you have people causing accidents by trying to tap fuel every year). Those pipes are carrying finished product like petrol and diesel.

People just tap into jerry cans and sell at the side of the road. That can't be raw crude oil. so the question will be: "why spend any extra $$$ to ferry what can be (and is already) done via the pipeline?

Again, please don't hold it against me nor quote me on this. Im just speaking from a very limited experience and exposure. May be there is a way to profit from ferrying those things.

Ferrying is usually done where no pipeline exists. Like from Saudi/Kuwait/Iraq/Iran/Venezuela back to Nigeria. Cos our refinery are not producing up to capacity anyway and no direct pipeline exists. Then you store in the tank farms like Otedola and co.

And back to what we discussed earlier, you will cross international waters and lots of sovereign nations. And there's no getting around those issues.

Look more into this please. Again, may be i missed something. We are all learners.

Good luck[/b]
Re: Oil Tanker by Omowanijoo: 6:39pm On Jul 10, 2010
Hello Kunle I sincerely appreciate your help here, I must admit I am not totally sure how the entire process is going to work yet , as we are at the preliminary stages but rest assured i will keep all informed of the progress being made and the business method being utilized , you have been of great help and thanks again
Re: Oil Tanker by KunleA2(m): 6:45pm On Jul 10, 2010
please keep us updated on things.

Good luck
Re: Oil Tanker by chino4(m): 12:39am On Mar 04, 2011
Also consider the necessary payments yo would make to NIMASA and all the alls pertaining to registration of a vessel.

(1) (Reply)

Ideas On Products That Can Be Shipped Abroad From Nigeria. / What Bussiness Can 1million Naira Start / Do It Yourself Facebook Marketing And Ppc Advertising Video Tutorial - Join Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.