Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (57250 Views)

Is Relocation Abroad The New Success? / Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad / Family Relocation Suggestions And Directions Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 3:26pm On Sep 29, 2018
To emigrate or not is the question here.

I need very mature advice and inputs as regards a situation I am trying to resolve.

In the last two yearsI have been thinking seriously about relocating my entire family abroad but I am still held back by indescision.

Just this afternoon I made a decision to throw it open on Nairaland Travel section. I am sure the mature contibutions that flow forth here will help me to a large extent to take a final decision on which direction the pendulum swings.

Please note that my wife is indifferent as per where we are. She just wants us to be together peacefully. She is also not a very ambitious person inthe ense thay she does not really aspire to be Folorunsho Alakija or Dangote's wife. She is very satisfied with being an average, comfortable upper middle class citizen anywhere in the world provided there is peace.

I am the money man with a lot of ambition and an undying aspiration to beat (or at least compete favourably with Aliko Dangote.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 3:44pm On Sep 29, 2018
A little background to aid your objectivity.....
I am a 47 year old Nigerian with a 43 year old wife. Married 13 years. Three kids; 12, 9 and 6.

I have a degree in humanities while she has a HND in Admin.

We are both involved in hustling in Lagos, Nigeria. The hustle hasn't paid off big time yet but we get by with about 3- 5 Mill earnings annually. We used to do much more than that until 3 years ago.

I have had significant international exposure having lived in UK as a child and also bisited all continents in the last 5 years.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2018
The big question is;

Should I relocate the entire family .....or should I relocate wife and kids only while I remain here and continue the hustle?
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 3:49pm On Sep 29, 2018
If I am to relocate where would you advise I relocate to?

The money to relocate shoukd not be a problem provided it is within reasonable bounds. I can raise between 7 - 10 Million (and more) if given 24 months.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 4:02pm On Sep 29, 2018
Countries that have been on my radar for a while have been Canada, USA and Australia....maybe because of the language similarities and the fact that I have visited all three and love them.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by eldee365: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2018
ASPIREX:
Countries that have been on my radar for a while have been Canada, USA and Australia....maybe because of the language similarities and the fact that I have visited all three and love them.
Canada, Sir.
Ability to get citizenship easily, good environment overall.
Free education for your kids,Healthcare too etc

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by eldee365: 5:34pm On Sep 29, 2018
ASPIREX:
The big question is;

Should I relocate the entire family .....or should I relocate wife and kids only while I remain here and continue the hustle?
Your whole family sir,
Stick with your family, they are all you have got.

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Laird(m): 5:46pm On Sep 29, 2018
I feel Your kids should go and use the study route or else your wife relocates with them

Canada has only odd jobs for immigrant adults except You go back to canadian University as an adult to spend years and big money to study health care or I.T courses to increase (not guarantee) your chances of getting a middle class job in Canada.

So you make the money here in Naija while your family takes the opportunity there ( abroad). My opinion

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 7:12pm On Sep 29, 2018
I am so overwhelmed by the love shown so far.

Thanks and keep it flowing.

I look forward to looking back to thus thread and referring others to it.
I am also positive that other Nairalanders who are interested in a similar pursuits will benefit from.

I will try to update as regularly as possible woth my activities and search results.

As we update continuously my heartfelt prayer is that one day in the immediate or remote future I a d others too wil be able to announce our arrival and posssesion of PR and then citizenship.

Once again accept my heartfelt gratitude.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 7:19pm On Sep 29, 2018
eldee365:

Canada, Sir.
Ability to get citizenship easily, good environment overall.
Free education for your kids,Healthcare too etc

Thanks!

Canada is a top choice but I only have issues with the extreme climate/weather. However I am studying widely just to see if some provinces can be better than others in this regard.

The healthcare advantage is a major plus for me.

The free education too is very good. The environment is quite friendly and the air is so clean and oure it is unimaginable.

My problem is whether I can cope with a menial job at my age. T is likely that I will be nudging 50 when we decide to leave. That is no longer young. It is entry level Agbalagba.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 7:22pm On Sep 29, 2018
Laird:
I feel Your kids should go and use the study route or else your wife relocates with them

Canada has only odd jobs for immigrant adults except You go back to canadian University as an adult to spend years and big money to study health care or I.T courses to increase (not guarantee) your chances of getting a middle class job in Canada.

So you make the money here in Naija while your family takes the opportunity there ( abroad). My opinion

Thanks Laird. I could start with some not so odd job just as a sacrifice and to use the time to study the busines environment. I am sure that I should be able to invest in some business within one year of being there. I also intend to keep my business running here and hope to visit at least every quarter.

Even if I could afford it I really wouldnt subscribe to going back to university to learn in order to get a job. My wife had been interested in healthcare especially nursing. She would say yes at the slightest opportunity.

Your last statement is quite pregnant and most attractive. Its a viable option. Only snag being that I love seeing my kids everyday. At least let me have my fill of them while I can. Staying withput seeing them for long periods will be quite the torment.

16 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by lindaayim(f): 8:50pm On Sep 29, 2018
USA if you can make it here. The immigration process is getting stricter due to alleged abuse of different visa category. But if you can get hold of a valid immigrant visa/green card, opportunities abound from teaching to engineering, business, trade (importing and exporting of cars and other good)........The weather here may be a little better than Canada.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ONNYX: 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2018
lindaayim:
USA if you can make it here. The immigration process is getting stricter due to alleged abuse of different visa category. But if you can get hold of a valid immigrant visa/green card, opportunities abound from teaching to engineering, business, trade (importing and exporting of cars and other good)........The weather here may be a little better than Canada.

Thanks! The US is still an option for us. I have visited the US twice and have been to a number of states. I would consider the US primarily because of the weather (in most states and the opportunities available).

The big question is how do we apply: can I apply via student visa for my wife and then the kids join her while she does a post graduate programme or a health related course?

The invest option here is quite steep and raising such an amount could be quite an uphill task. Then again it would be quite unpredictable investing in a totally new terrain without any fore knowledge whatsoever.

I am open to your advice though.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by eldee365: 6:21am On Sep 30, 2018
ASPIREX:

Thanks!

Canada is a top choice but I only have issues with the extreme climate/weather. However I am studying widely just to see if some provinces can be better than others in this regard.

The healthcare advantage is a major plus for me.

The free education too is very good. The environment is quite friendly and the air is so clean and oure it is unimaginable.

My problem is whether I can cope with a menial job at my age. T is likely that I will be nudging 50 when we decide to leave. That is no longer young. It is entry level Agbalagba.
British Columbia, Vancouver weather is manageable.
I understand you perfectly, that's a price you have to pay, do you mind making researches on your course, certifications etc needed to land a job, from what I have heard, you need Canadian experience but you skillset and certifications needs to be superb.

Join the Canadian immigrants thread here, ask these Questions, be short and brief.

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/388

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Sheq: 6:47am On Sep 30, 2018
please move to usa or canada.... 3million naira per year... chai...nigeria tho... please japaa and increase your lifespan and give your kids a better life...they will be thankfull everyday.... .. your wife will even earn more with the type of job she has in nigeria over there

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by queengift(f): 7:22am On Sep 30, 2018
why not try Ireland

4 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 30, 2018
I will be very honest with you since you want an honest suggestion and I'll be using my location as example. If you move with your family to the States without any of you having green card or citizenship, read my lips, you'll suffer and most likely will regret it. This your peaceful family will experience a serious crack and trust me, women aren't built to endure too much suffering so your wife may throw in the towel along the line . If you're coming to hustle, come here as a single man, hustle and go get your family though it will take time but that's the best way.

159 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by PinkDick(m): 7:45am On Sep 30, 2018
shocked

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by KendrickAyomide: 11:21am On Sep 30, 2018
Nairaland is life

5 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ERIN01: 11:30am On Sep 30, 2018
MajorJeffery:
I will be very honest with you since you want an honest suggestion and I'll be using my location as example. If you move with your family to the States without any of you having green card or citizenship, read my lips, you'll suffer and most likely will regret it. This your peaceful family will experience a serious crack and trust me, women aren't built to endure too much suffering so your wife may throw in the towel along the line . If you're coming to hustle, come here as a single man, hustle and go get your family though it will take time but that's the best way.

Ur take is very deep, sadly it is d truth

My advice wld be to ave ur family stay there while u maintain a regular travel in and out..However d problem wld be ur type of visa, if u guys wld be abusing ur visiting visas...there is xhances that once ur family overstays their visas you cld someday get apprehended at d port of entrance on one of ur visits to see em...

Ur type of visa for this escape is what wld determine d success of the relocation

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by debbydee(f): 12:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
i am following this

3 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by GboyegaD(m): 12:51pm On Sep 30, 2018
Laird:

Where did you get this information about Canada from? This is too general and truth is that people may not get their dream jobs immediately nonetheless, people get settled at different times.

5 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by GboyegaD(m): 12:53pm On Sep 30, 2018
Having lived in the UK for some time during your childhood, do you have a UK citizenship? I am asking because this would also help guide whatever options I might want to suggest.

6 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 11:33pm On Sep 30, 2018
eldee365:

British Columbia, Vancouver weather is manageable.
I understand you perfectly, that's a price you have to pay, do you mind making researches on your course, certifications etc needed to land a job, from what I have heard, you need Canadian experience but you skillset and certifications needs to be superb.

Join the Canadian immigrants thread here, ask these Questions, be short and brief.

https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/388

Vancouver is a location that tops the charts for me as far on account of its weather. I am already reading a lot about the BC area from different sources.

Also thanks for the link.

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 11:36pm On Sep 30, 2018
GboyegaD:
Having lived in the UK for some time during your childhood, do you have a UK citizenship? I am asking because this would also help guide whatever options I might want to suggest.

Unfortunately I didnt get to having a UK citizenship. Migrated tothe UK at three months and stayed till I was 9 years old. I actually qualified for the citizenship then but parents didnt consider it a necessity for me or even for themselves then. Nigeria was simply wonderful then.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2018
ERIN01:

Ur take is very deep, sadly it is d truth

My advice wld be to ave ur family stay there while u maintain a regular travel in and out..However d problem wld be ur type of visa, if u guys wld be abusing ur visiting visas...there is xhances that once ur family overstays their visas you cld someday get apprehended at d port of entrance on one of ur visits to see em...

Ur type of visa for this escape is what wld determine d success of the relocation

Whatever option I chiose has to be legit all he way. I will not subscribe to cutting corners as I am not really desperate. I am willing to follow the guidelines strictly and to ensure that everything is doen o the very letter.

5 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 11:39pm On Sep 30, 2018
MajorJeffery:

Noted with thanks!
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by GboyegaD(m): 5:27am On Oct 01, 2018
ASPIREX:

Unfortunately I didnt get to having a UK citizenship. Migrated tothe UK at three months and stayed till I was 9 years old. I actually qualified for the citizenship then but parents didnt consider it a necessity for me or even for themselves then. Nigeria was simply wonderful then.

You age might make it a bit challenging to migrate however, the most important thing would be knowing what the different countries require. I would suggest you explore Provincial Nomination if considering Canada.

6 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Contumely: 4:04pm On Oct 01, 2018
Sheq:
please move to usa or canada.... 3million naira per year... chai...nigeria tho... please japaa and increase your lifespan and give your kids a better life...they will be thankfull everyday.... .. your wife will even earn more with the type of job she has in nigeria over there
that's averagely big in naija oga.

6 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Oktane: 4:17pm On Oct 01, 2018
Contumely:

that's averagely big in naija oga.

That's mega bucks for some families here in Lagos.

But at his age shouldn't he be earning more than that?

Just wondering?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Contumely: 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2018
Oktane:

That's mega bucks for some families here in Lagos.
But at his age shouldn't he be earning more than that?
Just wondering?
Some families earn less than 500k annually.

33 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Lady Travels Accross Seven States Within Seven Days With A Bike. (photos) / AIDAnova: World's 5th Largest Cruise Ship. Costs ₦398b, Holds 6600 Passengers / An Overview Of The 10 Lane Oshodi-Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.