Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,872 members, 7,813,970 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech (9744 Views)

60th Independence Speech: Buhari Makes U-Turn, To Deliver Address Via Broadcast / Fela Durotoye Cautioning A ‘Big Man’ To Join The Queue At Abuja Airport (Video) / Fela Durotoye Dancing In Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Figoinc(m): 11:49am On Oct 01, 2018
58 years ago, on Saturday, October 1st, 1960, an impossible task was birthed by young men & women in their 20s, 30s & 40s.

Their purpose was to birth a new Independent Nigeria, free from colonial rule and was self governing.

Young people like Anthony Enahoro, Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, Margaret Ekpo, Hajiya Gambo Sawaba, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and many others came together for a single goal, irrespective of their tribe or religion and achieved our nations independence and cemented their place in our nations history as our heroes.

58 years later, even today, it is clear that while we are independent, we are not yet free.

Our nation is bound by vested interests who have successfully kept us impoverished as they divide and rule; using contraptions such as zoning, state of origin, tribe & religion.

Whilst the task of a generation was to bring us an independent nation, clearly the task ahead of our generation today is to deliver freedom to an independent people.

I believe every Nigerian must be free from fear of armed robbers, kidnappers, terrorist & “security” agents.

Everywhere across the land, every Nigerian must be free from poverty, preventable diseases, free from the sound of generators & melted wax of candle, free from taps without water, schools without education, hospitals without healthcare, free from pot holes that have robbed our roads from safety & our electoral commission must be truly independent to deliver to us free & fair elections.

Everyone must have the right to freedom of association, expression & information.

We must all be free to dream & accomplish our dreams even as we hope & work for a better life & brighter future.

Today, destiny calls on our generation ... on everyone from Abia to Adamawa, Bauchi to Bayelsa, Akure to Akwanga, all across the land a generation must arise to come together for a common purpose, to build a New Nigeria.

A nation that works.

As we celebrate our 58th year of independence, may we all be reminded to

Arise, o compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labour of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and
unity.

As we approach the future of our nation, someday, we will be mentioned as “heroes past”

So while we are yet in the present, join me as

I pledge to Nigeria, my country
To be faithful, loyal, and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity
And uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

Happy Independence Day
God bless you and may
God bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria

Fela Durotoye

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by UTILITYMAY(m): 11:56am On Oct 01, 2018
Great

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:01pm On Oct 01, 2018
Is Nigeria worth celebrating?

2 Likes

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Biggerbros234: 12:01pm On Oct 01, 2018
which heroes laboured for us. they have been looting since 1960

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by LethargiQue: 12:03pm On Oct 01, 2018
Every election year new unexperienced clowns come out with the same hypocritical mantra under new political parties to sell the same old crap to Nigerians.. luckily for us, the gullible ones are few and harmless.

Forget all these aspire to acquire horsedung this fela fellow is speaking.. he's just like the other clueless people who think governance is a simple wave of a finger..

Support a man with true goals.. talk and do man..

Not all these lifeless people and motivational speakers who fly too close to the sun every now and then..

8 Likes

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by marvinsync(m): 12:05pm On Oct 01, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:
Is Nigeria worth celebrating?

no one will blow ur trumpet for u

no matter what u think there are certain things u shouldn't say when u know fully well that if someone from another country said it u would be pissed

1 Like

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Bibitope01(m): 12:05pm On Oct 01, 2018
Happy independence day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by lonlytroy(m): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Lomprico2: 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
After collecting 750 million looted money! Abeg gerarahere!
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Ventura1: 12:12pm On Oct 01, 2018
Sowore is the only outstanding aspirant for 2019

10 Likes

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 01, 2018
Motivational speaker

2 Likes

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:15pm On Oct 01, 2018
To many great speeches, Nigeria needs more than that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by hardeytarhyour(m): 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2018
happy 58th independence day to NIGERIA
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by toluxa1(m): 12:21pm On Oct 01, 2018
LethargiQue:
Every election year new unexperienced clowns come out with the same hypocritical mantra under new political parties to sell the same old crap to Nigerians.. luckily for us, the gullible ones are few and harmless.

Forget all these aspire to acquire horsedung this fela fellow is speaking.. he's just like the other clueless people who think governance is a simple wave of a finger..

Support a man with true goals.. talk and do man..

Not all these lifeless people and motivational speakers who fly too close to the sun every now and then..

We apologise for the delay. Your brain will soon be delivered.

17 Likes

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Pentools(m): 12:23pm On Oct 01, 2018
Figoinc:
58 years ago, on Saturday, October 1st, 1960, an impossible task was birthed by young men & women in their 20s, 30s & 40s.

Their purpose was to birth a new Independent Nigeria, free from colonial rule and was self governing.

Young people like Anthony Enahoro, Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, Margaret Ekpo, Hajiya Gambo Sawaba, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and many others came together for a single goal, irrespective of their tribe or religion and achieved our nations independence and cemented their place in our nations history as our heroes.

58 years later, even today, it is clear that while we are independent, we are not yet free.

Our nation is bound by vested interests who have successfully kept us impoverished as they divide and rule; using contraptions such as zoning, state of origin, tribe & religion.

Whilst the task of a generation was to bring us an independent nation, clearly the task ahead of our generation today is to deliver freedom to an independent people.

I believe every Nigerian must be free from fear of armed robbers, kidnappers, terrorist & “security” agents.

Everywhere across the land, every Nigerian must be free from poverty, preventable diseases, free from the sound of generators & melted wax of candle, free from taps without water, schools without education, hospitals without healthcare, free from pot holes that have robbed our roads from safety & our electoral commission must be truly independent to deliver to us free & fair elections.

Everyone must have the right to freedom of association, expression & information.

We must all be free to dream & accomplish our dreams even as we hope & work for a better life & brighter future.

Today, destiny calls on our generation ... on everyone from Abia to Adamawa, Bauchi to Bayelsa, Akure to Akwanga, all across the land a generation must arise to come together for a common purpose, to build a New Nigeria.

A nation that works.

As we celebrate our 58th year of independence, may we all be reminded to

Arise, o compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labour of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and
unity.

As we approach the future of our nation, someday, we will be mentioned as “heroes past”

So while we are yet in the present, join me as

I pledge to Nigeria, my country
To be faithful, loyal, and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity
And uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

Happy Independence Day
God bless you and may
God bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria

Fela Durotoye

President Atiku from 2019
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:39pm On Oct 01, 2018
marvinsync:

no one will blow ur trumpet for u

no matter what u think there are certain things u shouldn't say when u know fully well that if someone from another country said it u would be pissed
Why would I be pissed off if someone from another country saying that to me, when is obvious that they are saying the truth. Tell me one to celebrate in Nigeria... is it the way the police arras the common or our politicians embezzlement?
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by marvinsync(m): 12:45pm On Oct 01, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:

Why would I be pissed off if someone from another country saying that to me, when is obvious that they are saying the truth. Tell me one to celebrate in Nigeria... is it the way the police arras the common or our politicians embezzlement?

now ur just being naive , of course ud be upset

take for example u have a sibling u quarrel with , u might think u don't like that sibling but when the sibling is attacked outside ud be the first to stand up for him or her , it's a case of no one insults my sibling but me , same thing no one insults my country but me

if u travel abroad there's no way a white person will call Nigeria a sh!t hole to ur face and u won't fight back.

2 Likes

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Adefemiaderoju1: 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2018
marvinsync:

now ur just being naive , of course ud be upset

take for example u have a sibling u quarrel with , u might think u don't like that sibling but when the sibling is attacked outside ud be the first to stand up for him or her , it's a case of no one insults my sibling but me , same thing no one insults my country but me

if u travel abroad there's no way a white person will call Nigeria a sh!t hole to ur face and u won't fight back.

You are kinda right but one thing you failed to understand is am not passing my message across outside Nigeria or foreigners, I am directing my message across Nigerians living in Nigeria hope you feel me?
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by shine12: 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2018
I pray FD wins but the current reality is against him winning. How many Almajiri in Kano will vote for him. After 58 years of being a sovereign nation, we still find it difficult to consolidate ourselves as Nigerians where we vote on credibility and not on ethnical lines. Our democracy is so third world. The most open-minded voters in Nigeria are still from the Western zone. They have always attempted to vote for the best candidate. Goodluck was massively voted for in 2011 and against in 2015 by the west solely based on his credibility.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by IbrahimDamola: 1:07pm On Oct 01, 2018
How many abooki almajiris masters of yorubas know who he is? grin
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Yankee101: 1:28pm On Oct 01, 2018
Why una still dey give this guy credibility by giving him a platform?
Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by BrotherBlood1: 1:36pm On Oct 01, 2018
Motivational speeches will never make Nigeria great. Practical actions will make Nigeria great.

1 Like

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:54pm On Oct 01, 2018
Keep marching Fela Durutoye. Your faith in Nigeria will lead us to the promise land of greatness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by koolbe(m): 2:05pm On Oct 01, 2018
Nigeria will be free soon

1 Like

Re: Fela Durotoye's Independence Speech by Gerolamo(m): 2:17pm On Oct 01, 2018
Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of these days be decided but by iron and blood".
Otto von bismarck

(1) (2) (Reply)

Those From West Are Still Ignorant On River Niger / 2023: APC Back To Life, Repositioned For Future Elections – Buhari / Peter Obi To Attend Townhall Meeting With Youths In Awka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.