Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know (35318 Views)

Kim Young-Chae To Nigeria: You Don’t Need Foreign Help To Solve Insecurity / Who Are The Public Figures In Nigeria You Still Respect Dead Or Alive? / Shehu Shagari: 14 Facts About Nigeria’s First Executive President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by ken6488(m): 7:31pm On Oct 01, 2018
arabbunkum:
No. 12. Nigeria is the only country with a lifeless dullard as a president.
baba must hear this
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by orlando5: 7:32pm On Oct 01, 2018
OP please nigerdelta is not the second largest delta in the world.. get you facts right
http://toptenonworld..com/2012/06/top-10-largest-delta-in-world.html?m=1
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:33pm On Oct 01, 2018
kiddoiLL:
Booyaka!! Naija is 58 today and we're proud of it, while the country has been hell, still we are survivors.
I woke up to see one of these international pages I follow with this post and some facts even I myself had no idea of.
Quickly let me share as we celebrate the country.

Cc Lalasticlala
Cc mynd44
Cc MissyB3
Cc Dominique
Cc Fynestboi
Cc Seun
Let's make it 15...did u know also it's practically the only nation in the world who can't boast of supplying the citizens 24h power supply and also practice the most expensive government system..
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Ojukwubucket(m): 7:36pm On Oct 01, 2018
Agbani Darego is not the first African to win Miss World but the first black African to be crowned so...
Get ur facts right..I tugbuo onwe gi na asi ..maka na I na ede ihe a na edebeghi mbu
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by mabea: 7:36pm On Oct 01, 2018
Aieboocaar:
I spit on lord lugard and Flora Shaw's graves angry

After sniffing coke & engaging in massive sex romp the previous night, they woke up the next morning and committed a fatal mistake of 1914 which led to the emergence of this shitthole.
Come on man! You speak as if you have any other country. We may have leadership fault but we must not give up on country. Nigeria shall be great!
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by musicwriter(m): 7:39pm On Oct 01, 2018
If the Dufana boat discovered in Yobe is 6,500 years old; how then is the 3,000 years old Nok culture the oldest civilization in West Africa?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by joshjc(m): 7:43pm On Oct 01, 2018
river niger is the largest river in west africa
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by muyimodel: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2018
The naira was introduced on 1 January 1973, replacing the pound at a rate of 2 naira = 1 pound.(and not 1959). This made Nigeria the last former British colony to abandon the £sd currency system in favour of the decimal currency system.
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ighoga898:
why won't Nollywood be d second highest movie producing country in the world when it they just use one week to produce a movie with a budget as low as 10million Naira.

The budget Hollywood use to produce just one movie will be enough for Nollywood to produce 100 movies.

Sharrap Dia, when last did u buy a movie or pay to watch one to support the producers? You think to use 10million to make a movie is a joke? Don't talk about what u don't know.
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Jiamed: 7:45pm On Oct 01, 2018
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by denjjy(m): 7:46pm On Oct 01, 2018
There are others interesting facts about Nigeria that I think should be included in the list.
* the richest snake is found in Nigeria: same snake that swallowed millions of Naira in jamb office.
*Nigeria is the home for the richest black man in the world: Aliko Dangote
*country with highest numbers of internet fraudsters
*Naija is a country with some of the largest religion congregations in the world.
* add your own Abeg.

1 Like

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by vindisick: 7:52pm On Oct 01, 2018
What can someone be proud of in this country? Which system can one really point to that actually works literally speaking. Abeg may person no dey disturb me with independence. This country no just make sense.
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Joshey(m): 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2018
kiddoiLL:
Some interesting facts here

You may need to fact check the naira year.

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by kalufelix(m): 8:02pm On Oct 01, 2018
Op thunder faya you and Nigeria there. Nigeria shud be bombed and turned into a farm
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by anjilgreat(f): 8:03pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ighoga898:
why won't Nollywood be d second highest movie producing country in the world when it they just use one week to produce a movie with a budget as low as 10million Naira.

The budget Hollywood use to produce just one movie will be enough for Nollywood to produce 100 movies.

Truth! and most of Nollywood's movies will have many parts,even as high as part1-5
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by hahn(m): 8:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ighoga898:

All they need is a smartphone to produce Part 1 - 3 of 100 movies undecided
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by SweetyZinta(f): 8:20pm On Oct 01, 2018
Very educative, never knew most of the above listed. Thank God, at last there is something to celebrate about Nigeria.
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ighoga898:

The average budget of a major Hollywood movie is $100 million, taking into account your analysis, this will produce about 3,600 Nollywood movies with a budget of 10 million naira undecided

2 Likes

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by DonMekino(m): 8:28pm On Oct 01, 2018
Lagos more populous.... But during politics and sharing national cake, Kano will become more populous
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by degamemaster(m): 8:29pm On Oct 01, 2018
Oluwolex2000:

Did you know that Buhari/ APC are the biggest scam in the history of Nigeria?

Did you that Buhari is the only and biggest dullard ever to preside over Nigerians?
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by nextstep(m): 8:40pm On Oct 01, 2018
All these celebrations... I'm sorry, I've been celebrating Independence Day for nearly 40 years now... and I'm not sure if we should be celebrating anymore. Perhaps we should call it "Mourning Day" to signify the loss of good governance from Oct 1960. Every year, we cynically paint our pothole-ridden roadways with white and black/green, force hungry students to buy or bleach white socks that they can't afford, and hold parades where everything on display is made abroad: from jets to uniforms; from chairs to even the damn red carpet.

Everyone is supposed to cheerfully pledge allegiance to a country that doesn't give two shits about whether we live or die; whether we have food or not; whether we're being killed by herdsmen, terrorists, police, or armed robbers; whether our child might die from an easily curable disease.

We're supposed to cheer for a country where its elite absolve themselves of responsibility to, or even basic love for their society. Some of them even go abroad to abuse us, while spending our commonwealth residing abroad for "medical reasons."

I'm tired of celebrating mediocrity, stagnation, and retrogression in a country where basic infrastructural needs are still a challenge. I've done that for nearly 40 years and so for the first time in my life, I find no joy in October 1. Let this day be over so we can get back to our regularly scheduled power cuts, no water, mosquitoes, no pay, inflation, police intimidation, and so on.

Next year we'll do exactly the same things, and make no progress. "Unity, Peace, and Progress". Indeed. angry

1 Like

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Rajosh(m): 9:12pm On Oct 01, 2018
naira was introduced January 1 1973 not 1959 as you said
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by WetinConsignMe: 9:15pm On Oct 01, 2018
Your write-up is filled with misinformation and obvious facts.

Example, naira was introduced in 1973
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by AliWoods: 9:19pm On Oct 01, 2018
@Op
the Niger is the third largest river in Africa, the Nile being the longest and the Congo second to it. the Niger is the longest river in west Africa.
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by aalangel(f): 9:26pm On Oct 01, 2018
So what's new?
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:44pm On Oct 01, 2018
When will this our country be great again?

When are we going to stop electing political officials based on ethnicity or religious affiliation?

When are ever going to get it right?

Those are the facts i need right now.

By the way, #PeaceNIGERIA
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by BCRCentre: 9:44pm On Oct 01, 2018
RAPED and ENSLAVED!

Happy 58th Independent year to our beloved country (Nigeria)

While I sat down to meditate on the 58th year of our country's independence, I have only heard two words in my spirit, "raped and enslaved".

I became worried because slavery was abolished several years ago, then I asked why this sudden surge of the word "Slavery" in my spirit.

I wept at the answers welling up from my deep within, in these answers I realised that;

In slavery, one is taken into captivity, made to work without having the time to think, innovate and be useful to himself, family, community and country at large.

But captivity is not our story, we are free to move, but the worst slavery is now the Slavery of the Mind.

Our task masters, while allowing us to roam freely has raped us technically and left us with the mind of struggling to make ends meet.

I look at people everyday in the streets, street hawkers, wheelbarrow pushers, roads covered with petty traders who could not afford to pay for a shop.

I see people looking to end this misery through different means, some young people, mothers, fathers, became praise singers to the task masters in the bid to meet ends. WHAT SLAVERY CAN BE WORST THAN THIS, I ASKED?

Once more, can a well meaning leader tell me what our leaders see as the NOBLE CAUSE of this great nation?

I also ask are we in pursuant of the Noble Cause.?

Oppression is the order of the day!
Our flag is no longer a symbol that truth and justice reigns!

We are no longer interested in handing over to our children a banner without stain!

The labour of our heroes past shall never be in vain is just a lip song without heart and might commitment

Our leaders no longer depends on God's guidance

Our youths are now far from the truth

Hate and dishonesty has become the order of the day, rather than we growing, we retard.

We have failed to keep to the pledge we all have consciously or unconsciously made to Nigeria our country

To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all our strength
To defend her unity
And uphold her honour and glory..

Motherland has undergone intolerable rape from most of her children past and present. She is weeping to the few who loves her to arise to her cry

My Hope!

Someday, An Emergence of True Compatriots will arise, motherland's tears will be wiped, her honour and glory will be restored and upheld.

It's a call
It's an anthem
It's for all compatriots
Nigerians Arise,
Nigeria will Arise!

I love my country!
I love Motherland!
I love her children!

Happy Independence fellow Nigerians

#BCRCentre
I Am Christian Kanu
Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by Yudee8(m): 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ighoga898:

10 million naira for where? movies that they use phone camera to record

2 Likes

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by emperorblog(m): 11:00pm On Oct 01, 2018
Ighoga898:

Re: 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know by mfm04622: 7:44am On Oct 02, 2018
Ighoga898:
why won't Nollywood be d second highest movie producing country in the world when they could just use one week to produce a movie with a budget as low as 10million Naira.

10 million? No movie with a budget of 10 million will be shot in just a week! It is the low budget movies that are done in a week

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reps Approve Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Request. South East Reps Kick / Speaker Gbajabiamila Receives Allen Onyema, Air Peace CEO In His Office (Photos) / Oyo Dry Port: Seyi Makinde Inspects Ongoing Construction At The Site - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.