Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. (2881 Views)

Implications Of Having Sex Inside A Car / Total 5w40 Oil / Is Total Quartz 9000 5w40 Full Synthetic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by alatbaba1(m): 11:44am On Oct 03, 2018
what are the implications of 5w30 or 5w40 instead of 5w20 engine oil. my boss own a ford explorer 2014, the manual states that only 5w20 should be used for servicing. he is a very sensitive man when it comes to car maintenance and other related car issue. the mechanic he is using said 5w30 is okay. but he insist on 5w20. we have searched the whole of kano to no avail. total or Mobil have it on their website bit not available in d market.

pls help me. cos my job depends on dis car getting serviced.

GAZZUZZ , CarGuideNG , autojosh , CarGuideNG .
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:52am On Oct 03, 2018
alatbaba1:
what are the implications of 5w30 or 5w40 instead of 5w20 engine oil. my boss own a ford explorer 2014, the manual states that only 5w20 should be used for servicing. he is a very sensitive man when it comes to car maintenance and other related car issue. the mechanic he is using said 5w30 is okay. but he insist on 5w20. we have searched the whole of kano to no avail. total or Mobil have it on their website bit not available in d market.

I have lots of 5w20 contact me and I will have it sent to you.

Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 11:59am On Oct 03, 2018
alatbaba1:

Contact AutoElectNG He is in Abuja

https://www.nairaland.com/4477823/us-spec-5-qt-mobil
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by CarGuideNG: 12:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
alatbaba1:

thebigkendo:

Contact AutoElectNG He is in Abuja

https://www.nairaland.com/4477823/us-spec-5-qt-mobil
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by HenryWilliams(m): 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2018
I believe the OP asked two questions. One being more important and potentially very enlightening and informative than the other, but trust marketers to ignore and go for the other.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
HenryWilliams:
I believe the OP asked two questions. One being more important and potentially very enlightening and informative than the other, but trust marketers to ignore and go for the other.

some questions are better not answered when there are solutions available.

What if Oga says let me see the Gallon you used?
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 4:42pm On Oct 03, 2018
HenryWilliams:

And which did you answer?
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by HenryWilliams(m): 5:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
thebigkendo:

And which did you answer?

None cos I don't know. But I care to know. That's why I'm asking.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by HenryWilliams(m): 5:09pm On Oct 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

some questions are better not answered when there are solutions available.

What if Oga says let me see the Gallon you used?

Thanks for your time ..now I'll present the question to u .
What will happen/implications to the engine if 5w-30 is used instead of 5w-20 as recommended?
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by jarkbauer: 5:16pm On Oct 03, 2018
First, I'll explain what the numbers in 5w20 and 5w40 mean. The 5 means that the oil will flow at zero celsius the same way a 5-weight oil would. The 20 and 40 mean that the oil will flow like a 20 and 40-weight respectively at engine operating temperature (180-195C usually). The actual viscosity of the oil is therefore the SECOND number. The first number just indicates how resistant it is to cold. Remember that even 50-weight oil is thinner at engine temperature than 0-weight is when cold. As a result, 5w30 and 10w30 are essentially equal unless it's the dead of winter in which case a small difference might exist.

I would be hesitant to use 5w40 if not specified unless it was summertime. All manufacturers specify different weights for different temperatures. Having said that, the Volkswagen Routan (which is just a rebadged Chrysler Town&Country) specifies 5w40 with VW spec 502 00 while Chrysler specifies 5w20 despite them both having the SAME DAMN ENGINE! This is very good evidence that the differences between grades are exaggerated at best and completely disingenuous at worst.

Now, I would NEVER put 20 weight oil in ANY engine. The only reason that 20-weight oil exists is because the US Government fines automakers for going above the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) limit. The further they go, the more they are fined. Thinner oils like 0w20 and 5w20 are less protective of vital engine parts but they are also less resistant to motion because of their reduced viscosity.

There were some Ford Mustang enthusiasts in the states that did some tests using two mustangs with 4.6L V8 engines. In one car they used 5w20 and in the other they used 5w30. Their findings were that the Mustang with 5w20 did experience a fuel economy increase of 1% but reduced the total lifetime of the engine by 30%. To me, that's just not worth it.

Keep in mind also that 20-weight oil does NOT EXIST outside of Canada and the USA so if your engine was designed outside of those countries which is essentially all automakers except for Chrysler, Ford and GM (but even they use some European and Japanese engines) then your engine was NOT designed to use a 20-weight oil but at least a 30-weight. The automakers don't mind if your engine dies sooner, it means more auto sales for them. That 1% increase in fuel economy means millions in savings for the automakers with regard to CAFE fines. I even had a head tech at a Hyundai dealership admit it to me. My Veloster gets 5w40 in summer and 5w30 in the other three seasons and it works great.

culled from quora let your Oga use 5w30.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by SortOut: 5:41pm On Oct 03, 2018
jarkbauer:

Thank you for answering Op's question
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by SortOut: 5:41pm On Oct 03, 2018
jarkbauer:

Thank you for answering Op's question
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 5:48pm On Oct 03, 2018
jarkbauer:

alatbaba1:

Quora knows better than the engine manufacturer
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by HenryWilliams(m): 5:48pm On Oct 03, 2018
jarkbauer:

Q.E.D
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 5:54pm On Oct 03, 2018
HenryWilliams:

Q.E.D

Even Vegetable oil can serve as engine oil!!! Atleast engine will not knock since the vegetable oil will serve as lubricant.

Hope you know i could post some gibberish off my head on nairaland, next year somebody might search google on something related to the gibberish and my gibberish post on Nairaland pops up.

They then copy and paste quote my gibberish somewhere as fact.

Disclaimer I am not saying what Jarkbauer quoted is gibberish

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by jarkbauer: 6:05pm On Oct 03, 2018
thebigkendo:

Even Vegetable oil can serve as engine oil!!! Atleast engine will not knock since the vegetable oil will serve as lubricant.

Hope you know i could post some gibberish off my head on nairaland, next year somebody might search google on something related to the gibberish and my gibberish post on Nairaland pops up.

They then copy and paste quote my gibberish somewhere as fact.

Disclaimer I am not saying what Jarkbauer quoted is gibberish

THE BEST ANWER FOR A F$$L IS SILENCE.
IF quora is home of gibberish then Nairaland is the planet of rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 7:01pm On Oct 03, 2018
jarkbauer:

THE BEST ANWER FOR A F$$L IS SILENCE.
IF quora is home of gibberish then Nairaland is the planet of rubbish.
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by VolvoS60(m): 7:24pm On Oct 03, 2018
Interesting. So what do we take away from the thread?
Re: What Are The Implications Of 5w30 Or 5w40 Instead Of 5w20 Engine Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2018
VolvoS60:

Interesting. So what do we take away from the thread?

The take away is 5w-20 is very available grin grin

(1) (Reply)

AC Compressors For Toyota Camry 2007/2008 / The Tragic Accident Along Lagos-ibadan Expressway At Ogunmakin Area This Morning / Someone Help (car Issues)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.