Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,167 members, 7,811,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It (8772 Views)

7 Greatest And Common Mistake To Avoid In Your Marriage{my Personal Experience} / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! / Do You Have A Mother-in-law Problem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by tobaoye: 11:59am On Jul 12, 2010
Hello every one in the house.

I am getting marry in few weeks from now and I'm afraid with the story of spouses having problem with their in-laws.

Please. can someone share with me how to avoid in-laws' problem
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 12, 2010
tobaoye:

Hello every one in the house.

I am getting marry in few weeks from now and I'm afraid with the story of spouses having problem with their in-laws.

Please. can someone share with me how to avoid in-laws' problem

You wanna avoid inlaw(s) problems eh? ok start by saying " I am getting married. . . . . " not marry

Second off, you still wanna avoid problems ehn? Ok just be yourself
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by snowdrops(m): 12:09pm On Jul 12, 2010
If you want to AVOID in-law problems dont get married.

If you want to deal with such problems, then thats a different kettle of fish.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by r231(m): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2010
jennykadry:

You wanna avoid inlaw(s) problems eh? ok start by saying " I am getting married. . . . . " not marry

Second off, you still wanna avoid problems ehn? Ok just be yourself

grin grin

be yourself and stay out of trouble
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by afrobaby(f): 12:54pm On Jul 12, 2010
love them for who dey are and for giving u a wife/husband, treat them the way u will treat ur parent, and be the best u can
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by mymoto(m): 12:56pm On Jul 16, 2010
dont call it problem call it challenges.
Note,deal with ur woman wisely and ur inlaw will follow
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by meetmuyiwa(m): 1:01pm On Jul 16, 2010
I think that by now you should know what to expect from your inlaws, who they are, what they do, how they treat other 'wives' in the family etc, this will determine what will hapen to u after ur marriage. But from ur question i have a feeling that u either don't know them or u are already seeing some bad symptoms in them
But a sincere question i will want you to answer is 'How do u treat or see them now? and how do you treat the people you are 'inlaws' (your brother's wife, uncle's wife, cousins's wife etc). Do u take them as ur own sisters or as 'IN-LAWS'.
Life is like a mirror. you smile at it you get a smile back, you frown at it, u get a frown back.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by DaddyO(m): 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2010
Dash them plenty money! smiley
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by WhiteOne(f): 1:55pm On Jul 16, 2010
Do not live in the same town with them!
Just go and visted them, if you absolutely must!
Do not let your wife/man be like CCN NEWS or Sky NEWS to there family.
If they ask you for something, tell them you will pray about it and god will make a way, if it is in his plan!
And stay out of there family business!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by maneasy: 3:10pm On Jul 16, 2010
The way I handle mine is that all transactions (both material, financial or whatsoever ) to my family goes through my wife  and the same way,  from my wife  to her family goes  through me; for now, I am their best  son in-law they ever had despite the challenges they brought forward at the initial stage due to the fact that we are not from the same states

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by agenta999(f): 3:17pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ poster, you did not indicate your gender which is very important in treating your case.i will start by assuming that you are a man.
first of all, the beginning of your relationship with your wife will tell you whether to be close or far from your in laws. many men who stated marriage as a car owner and owner of other attractive properties will always be welcome but later be rejected for failing to be up to expectations in financial helpings. shocked
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by otukpo(f): 3:26pm On Jul 16, 2010
In-laws problems will not keep u from getting married.
So deal with it as it comes.
But always be urslf and if possible, spend less time with them.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by Spyker: 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2010
This is an interesting topic, i really want to read the responses in this thread.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by natasha: 4:01pm On Jul 16, 2010
dont LOVE them rather RESPECT them. Let everyone know their boundaries cos no matter how hard u try, you wont be able to please ALL ur inlaws.
Never argue with them NEVER, rather pull ur boo aside and explain ur side of the story, let him handle it.
finally, NEVER start battles you cant win (My mum told me this on my wedding day)

Been married 7 yrs with 1 child.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by rubi(f): 4:31pm On Jul 16, 2010
otukpo:

In-laws problems will not keep u from getting married.
So deal with it as it comes.
But always be urslf and if possible, [color=Black]spend less time with them
.[/color]

The truth and nothing but the truth. I apply this highlighted method and it works for me. kiss kiss some people who don't know me very well mistake me as being too private but I am being diplomatic[color=Black][/color]
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by zebra543: 4:33pm On Jul 16, 2010
101 on inlaws? Well it will start on what kind of people they are, because your best bet is to stay away from them and only visit them at christmas, but if they are the interfering types it will make it a bit difficult. Respect them, they should respect you back dont mingle too much with them, dont go overboard to please them only give what they ask and if you dont have do what you can. Dont get involved in family feuds, if anybody wants to start trouble with you tell your spouse about it and leave it there, whatever you do- DO NOT accomodate any of them, there will start the gossip and from there will start the problems!

5 Likes

Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by chidichris(m): 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2010
someone here said, it is challange and not problem. that is right.
the first step will be for u to stop listening to those who have problems with their inlaws and start listening to those who have good relationships with their inlaws.
tell God what u want in ur marriage and give it ur best.
if u are having problems with ur parents, look at it very well and see if u are the course, change ur life style and u will not have problems with ur inlaws.
be informed that those who told u abt their problems have different stars from u so u can never be them.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by Remii(m): 5:35pm On Jul 16, 2010
If you consider in laws who took care of your "SWEET HEART" before your sighting him or her as problems, then don't get involved in marriage institution. STAY SINGLE
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by Pappij: 6:50pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ Poster, be the loving, humble girl they like now. Respect them always
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by Ibime(m): 7:11pm On Jul 16, 2010
Keep the gossips (usually female inlaws) at arms length.

Otherwise, just be yourself.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by dmj2009: 9:53pm On Jul 16, 2010
To avoid in laws problem is quite easy. Never encourage anyone to live with you including your own parents too. Also, any time they come for visitation, give them maximum satisfaction. http://getconceive.com
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by OkwyRose: 11:35pm On Jul 16, 2010
you will also know how to treat them depending on how they treat your spouse.

You will know how to treat them depending on how they acted out on your wedding preparations and occassion.

Don't be too kind, don't be too mean, friendly distance

Draw the line on what you like and don't like, too much familiarity especially with in laws breeds contempt.
{You are not allowed to walk into my room without knocking simply because it is your brothers house, it is now fully my house, you,  in laws are just visiting.]

When you make a decision with your spouse he is not allowed to change it because his siblings wants it changed.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by whiteroses(f): 1:38am On Jul 17, 2010
see how you dey tabon, na so you go blow them heads off on your wedding day/ berra not give any speech
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by kaumfy: 8:42am On Jul 17, 2010
First of all,it depend on your inlaw attitude.you need to study them and know what they like and not like.Atleast let there be somebody that you are close to in their family.make friends with those that have a good relation ship with their in law.And let me warn you,dont listn to those that have a sour relationship with theirs!and always pray to God to guide you in dealing with them.

Most of the misunderstanding with in laws is due to misconception,heresay and due to what somebody have heard from others.Am sure if you treat your in laws like your own family there would be no trouble.am not saying you should be too familiar o!same time dont be too far!.

Good Luck!
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by prettyuma: 10:27am On Jul 17, 2010
to get out of in-laws problem, say no to some family members, dnt follow all what they say, ur opinion is the best coz ur the person in charge and not them, any body that wont add anything to ur family[neglect that person] and are they d 1 getting married,facing family issues? NO, ur d 1, so deal with them with wisdom and principle, BE BEST U CAN B, B REAL AND SINCERE, DNT RISK UR HAPPINESS TO THEM,

LOL! cook plenty of assorted foods for ur spouse, TALK TO GOD for HELP and GUIDANCE,WISDOM to stay with dem,

were r u getting married to?, ***********
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by skybeauty(f): 2:27pm On Jul 17, 2010
first of all are u 4rm ur husbads state/tribe if yes you wont have much problems with them if no you will definitly encounter so many problems with them; now the best way to avoid them is:
1. Be youself let them either love you or hate you for whom you are
2. define your stand
3. dont be onyeoma emeka (good girl) cos the day you will stop or backslide, you will hate urself
4. respect them
5. There should be limits to visitation
6. if your husband builds a house outside the family house; never i repeat never allow you mother to move in with you guys she should remain in her husbands house unless there is a very good reason for her to do so
6. Above all love you mother in law and treat her nice

NB: Do not forget to make one of them your very good friend who can always stand for you.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by eridah2007(m): 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2010
Pray to have a GOOD and [b]UNDERSTANDING [/b]inlaws,dats all.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by eridah2007(m): 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2010
Pray to have a [b]GOOD [/b]and [b]UNDERSTANDING [/b]inlaws,dats all.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by iice(f): 5:29pm On Jul 17, 2010
Take your cue from your spouse.  If you want to do more or less, expand the boundaries set by your spouse to an acceptable degree.
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by omotodra: 6:27pm On Jul 17, 2010
MY DEAR, YOU CAN'T AVIOD IN-LAW'S PROBLEM AT ALL ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY START THEIR WHAAA HAAA LAAA. My advice to you is to marry but study them very well in order to know their character from the moment you move in.

Don't ever rely on any of them until you are able to witstand them at same time know you bundries. Don't laugh with them too mush so not to invite insult sooner than you might think. Most of all give everyone their due respect and pls don't tell them your top secrets it will only back fire on you.

Speaking for myself, i did my best for both my Mother and Sister-in-law but all they did was to repay me with evil. I've learnted my lesson so I don't allow any member of my in-law's  into my house any more. It's my hubby that go to visit them once a while. Which is good for me.  smiley
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by bawomolo(m): 7:29pm On Jul 17, 2010
omotodra:

MY DEAR, YOU CAN'T AVIOD IN-LAW'S PROBLEM AT ALL ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY START THEIR WHAAA HAAA LAAA. My advice to you is to marry but study them very well in order to know their character from the moment you move in.

Don't ever rely on any of them until you are able to witstand them at same time know you bundries. Don't laugh with them too mush so not to invite insult sooner than you might think. Most of all give everyone their due respect and pls don't tell them your top secrets it will only back fire on you.

Speaking for myself, i did my best for both my Mother and Sister-in-law but all they did was to repay me with evil. I've learnted my lesson so I don't allow any member of my in-law's  into my house any more. It's my hubby that go to visit them once a while. Which is good for me.  smiley

what happened to "our" house. are you saying your mother-in law would be barred from visiting even for a day?
Re: How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It by captured(f): 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2010
Great Topic,
Honestly, in-laws and friends of the spouse are the same so i will give you my best advise i have

Treat them as you would if they were your family or friends, if they react negatively then abeg, let them relate through their child (your spouse) o, otherwise every word you say will be used against you when they report to your spouse

This attitude kept my marriage when my in-laws set about ruining it. My aunts -in -laws insisted i stop calling their children who were my friends before the union by name or nicknames which we had all been using for over a year, they even went as far as telling me what i can cook or not cook for my husband, same applied to how i was relating with my own child.

Every time, they started i just smiled and yet they went reporting to my husband that i was been a bully and wanted everything my way, after much back and forth, my husband was forced to tell them to let us run our home, its been over a year and they aunts are yet to visit again but their kids come around

(1) (2) (Reply)

Met Used Condom On My 8 Months Wife Hotel Room / Advice Needed! Am I So Picky As Regards To This Issue? / Real House Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.