Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic (41189 Views)

Sea Turtle Caught Near Ibeno Island In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / 'Albino Turtle': Yellow Turtle In India (Photos) / Leatherback Sea Turtle Caught In Bayelsa - Foropa Kingdom Island (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Ishilove: 11:58am On Oct 09, 2018
When did this happen?
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by adedehinbo(m): 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:
Do you know that Nairaland was more United before and there wasn't much tribal wars compared to what we are seeing today here on Nairaland .

From 2010 till 2013 I was so enjoying Nairaland and everyone was so sincere with replies and quotes there was little fracas

It became worst when Buhari emerged as president he not only caused division, tribal sentiment and crisis among Nigerians but also to nairalanders who will see red and say it is black

When are we going to have a peaceful matured and interesting Nairaland
shut up it started during Jonathan era by you Igbo's

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Arysexy(m): 12:15pm On Oct 09, 2018
This story is pure fiction and lie
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by maxiuc(m): 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2018
adedehinbo:
shut up it started during Jonathan era by you Igbo's
even if it started during GEJ era did I accuse any tribe of being responsible

I have nothing for people of reprobate minds like you people who can't just sit and think if what they are doing is beneficial to them or not

Please don't quote me again
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Daviddson(m): 12:25pm On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:
Do you know that Nairaland was more United before and there wasn't much tribal wars compared to what we are seeing today here on Nairaland .

From 2010 till 2013 I was so enjoying Nairaland and everyone was so sincere with replies and quotes there was little fracas

It became worst when Buhari emerged as president he not only caused division, tribal sentiment and crisis among Nigerians but also to nairalanders who will see red and say it is black

You should have copied Seun, though I've seen recent changes and improvements. But more needs to be done. Kudos Seun.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Jibsonified(m): 12:25pm On Oct 09, 2018
Finally a Thread of Fresh Air on Nairaland

Not those types like: Large snake killed, big monkey captured and killed, elephant trapped and slaughtered

and not useless thread derived from simply following Tonto, bobrisky, toke, etc.

Please let's Bring Back our Good Nairaland by posting responsible topics

Thank you
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by badonkadonk: 12:29pm On Oct 09, 2018
What I dont understand is why they had to pay for the white mans damaged net?

Isn't fishing net damage a part of the trade of fishing?
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by leisuretym: 12:45pm On Oct 09, 2018
if you catch more than 50 crabs , or let's say an undersized fish in Australia, those fishery officers will fined you 250 Dollars, and still return them talkless of water turtles .

they even have a card called blue card for measuring the fish size, you better return the small ones back into the water before they catch you.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by figure007(m): 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2018
Atiku2019:
The Hope for an Atiku Presidency has changed the mindset of Nigerians.

God Bless Atiku Abubakar

God Bless Nigeria.
these people you youths are celebrating have nothing for Nigerians... They've been the same group of people ruling us for many years yet no change... Wakeup to realise we need new hands and not this same old pps
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by SachaBastien(m): 12:51pm On Oct 09, 2018
Wow! Incredulous story.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Viiictor10(m): 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2018
Hope say no be the same local fishermen go sneak go catch am and use make pepersoup
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by wavylevel: 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2018
Using the term 'whites' is borderline racist, rude and derogatory. I know it is said or written out of ignorance but can the mods please censor such terms. It is not acceptable in the civilized world.

A much better term could be 'Foreigners' or at a stretch 'Caucasians'.

Thank you.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by DBlackCeazer(m): 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2018
No pictures? I don't believe this
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by emperorblog(m): 1:56pm On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

when we arriculate buhari in 2019
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Arthurity1(m): 2:05pm On Oct 09, 2018
These white bastards will be shouting conservation of wildlife in thier land but will come t another man's land to destroy their own wildlife! Thunder fire dem!
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by SeriouslySense(m): 2:29pm On Oct 09, 2018
I like exotic Animals, it is good to hear Nigerians protecting these animals, because they are valuable and they enhance the environment and make it not only beautiful but more healthy, there is the economics of Natural resources and let me add these value of the rare animals are millions because we cannot quantify the micro, macro and long lasting effects
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2018
its unusuall for such a story to happen in nigeria.at worse the white d white fishermen will give bribe to the locals to allow them take the white turtle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Jaideyone(m): 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

it started 2011!!! after Jonathan won the election.

https://www.nairaland.com/745731/yoruba-marginalization-elders-met-jonathan#9018765

see anti Yoruba comments here even though Jonathan won the southwest in 2011

3 Likes

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by GoldHorse(m): 3:32pm On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

I was "liking" this your post until the bolded. How?!

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by vwede4trips(m): 4:09pm On Oct 09, 2018
Wow. That's a good one. When I saw the topic I thought it will be the Whites protecting the sea turtle and not the natives.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by GetCofOProperty: 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2018
A large water turtle is a big catch. I like the way the locals decided to protect this animal that has almost gone extinct at the Eko Atlantic project axis.

Do You Desire A Very Good Property Investment That Guarantee High Return... Or You Want a Suitable Land or House For You To Live In. There are good properties in choice locations that boast of a huge return on investment. Don't miss the current promos Visit our Ikeja Office (Off Medical Road) or Call/WhatsApp +234(0)8027390046. Check our signature here below
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Bianda24: 6:40pm On Oct 12, 2018
nairalaila:
There was a little pandemonium between whites and locals over a turtle caught during fishing at Eko Atlantic, Lagos and it was captured in tweets by Twitter user @joeyakan. 

Taking to Twitter to share the story of the turtle, he wrote; 

A story of hope. Thread. So behind my office at Landmark Towers, there's a body of water that links to the seas. White fishermen show up a lot and cast their nets to catch some fish. They are welcome, treated with respect and assisted by the locals. The men in turn behave.

But today, something happened. When the white fishermen cast their nets, they caught a lot of fish. But they also caught something strange, a large water turtle. Catching a water turtle was a shock, but it also came with toll – the shell of the turtle tore the net. Damaged it.

And then the best thing happened. The locals rallies and stopped the men from taking the turtle away. "Na only fish you get permission to catch," one said. "This one no be fish. Drop am." The men refused, and an argument came on. They called more locals for support.

The men called the police attached to Landmark for help. The police supported the locals. Turns out water turtles are almost extinct because of poaching and the work on Eko Atlantic affecting their habitat. So these locals came together to make a law protecting them. It worked.

The numbers are decent now. Turtles are back, and they need protection. The whites, seeing that they were not going to get any support, asked them to pay for the cost of the damage to their nets. They negotiated for long, before they agreed and money was exchanged.

The turtle was returned, and it was carried to the sea in a little ceremony. People marched as it was hoisted in the air. When it touched the water, everyone clapped. The turtle went back in, saved by humans. The whites left. Case closed.

So, while Nigeria brings all of its negativity to shred your spirit, there still exists some good in small pockets of light. People who have chosen to take charge of their corner and make it better. I just saw one of such pockets in action. And I am so happy.

My heart is warm and beating loud. God bless those guys. Amen. The End.

https://lailasnews.com/between-whites-and-locals-over-a-turtle-caught-at-eko-atlantic/

This is one of the best stories I have heard.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Shows Off The Antelope He Killed After Hunting Expedition In Owerri / Man From Gombe & His Locally Made Vehicle Cause A Scene / Little Boy Captures Live Snake With Bare Hands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.