Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Carrick: Super Cesc Killed My Arsenal Move - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Carrick: Super Cesc Killed My Arsenal Move (481 Views)

"Cristiano Ronaldo Is Overhyped, Scores From Set-Pieces" - Cesc Fabregas / Cesc Fabgeras Weds Daniella Semaan, Mother Of Five (Photos) / Cesc Fabregas Trolls Victor Moses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Carrick: Super Cesc Killed My Arsenal Move by megafaraday(m): 11:02am On Oct 10, 2018
[img][/img]
Michael Carrick has revealed that Arsene Wenger wanted to sign him for Arsenal ahead of the 2004/05 season until a standout performance by 17-year-old Cesc Fabregas in the Community Shield changed his mind.

In his autobiography Carrick, who was 23 at the time and playing for West Ham in the First Division, reveals that he was overwhelmed when David Dein informed his agent of the interest and immediately took up an invitation to meet Wenger at his home despite Harry Redknapp wanting him at Portsmouth.

An extract published in The Times (£) reveals the Frenchman quizzed the midfielder on his strengths and weaknesses for an hour and promised he’d get back to him once Arsenal had played Manchester United in Cardiff.
Arsene Wenger’s side, with a mulleted Fabregas pulling the strings in midfield (“He’s only seventeen, He’s better than Roy Keane “) went on to win the game 3-1 courtesy of strikes from Gilberto and Jose Antonio Reyes and an own goal by Mikael Silvestre.

Persuaded that the teenage Spaniard might have the quality to be a long-term replacement for Patrick Vieira – the Frenchman would leave Highbury for Juventus 11 months later – Wenger opted against a move for Carrick. Understandably, he was devastated. All the more so, given he then had to join Sp*rs.

Carrick writes:

“I waited, and waited, and that call never came. The next day, I had to go into training at West Ham instead and, on the way, David phoned to say he’d had a call from Dein. David relayed the gist of his message, like, “I’m sorry, the manager says we don’t need Michael. Fàbregas is coming through like he is. Sorry, the deal’s off.” Fàbregas’s performance changed Wenger’s mind about needing me. I was totally devastated as I had my heart set on Arsenal and playing with all that talent. My head was gone. Arsenal had swayed me and I didn’t have a clue what I’d do now.”

In fairness, life didn’t work out too badly for Carrick. He went on to win a shedload of trophies at Manchester United, who he joined after two years at White Hart Lane.

In June last year, Wenger paid tribute to Carrick on the occasion of his Manchester United testimonial, lamenting his decision.

“I give Michael my deepest congratulations for his testimonial,” Wenger told Arsenal.com. “I think he deserves it hugely.

“I would say personally I’m an admirer of his career, of his quality.

“One of my regrets is never having had him as a player because I think he was one of the greatest players in English football.”

Source: Arseblog.com

(1) (Reply)

Anthony Martial Likely To Leave Manchester United As He 'rejects New Contract / EPL: Jamie Carragher Names 3 Managers To Replace Mourinho At Man United / Cristiano Ronaldo Claims He Deserves All Ballon D'or

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.