Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,922 members, 7,814,102 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate (18245 Views)

Edo: Charles Ude Drags APC To Court, Seeks Ize-iyamu’s Disqualification / Adebayo Shittu Busted For Skipping NYSC, Risks Jail Term / Kemi Adeosun Resigns Over NYSC Certificate Scandal - Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by Rubbiish(m): 11:46am On Oct 15, 2018
genternity:
The way things are going now , APC may change their broom to cutlass
hahahahahahahahahahahaha laff wan kill me...

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by edibobo: 11:49am On Oct 15, 2018
After all his Dullard submitted NEPA Bill and it was accepted
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by BruncleZuma: 11:49am On Oct 15, 2018
After all the brown nosing...
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by wink2015(m): 11:49am On Oct 15, 2018
Lekzyloaded:
Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, has filed a lawsuit against the ruling APC for disqualifying him as a governorship aspirant in Oyo state on account of not presenting the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme discharge certificate.

The National Working Committee had on September 27th (read here) disqualified Shittu from the Oyo state governorship primary after it was reported on a news platform that the Minister did not participate in the mandatory one year NYSC scheme when he graduated from the faculty of law from the Obafemi Awolowo University in 1978. He graduated at age 25 and failed to observe the mandatory one year service.

65-year-old Shittu, had in his defence, said upon his graduation, he contested for a seat in the state House of Assembly and won. According to him, serving in the state House of Assembly should suffice for his NYSC certificate. Read here.

In the suit filed by his counsel, A.U Mustapha, Adebayo asked the court to declare that the submission/presentation of NYSC Discharge Certificate to APC is not part of the requirements for him to participate in the primary election for Nomination of Governorship candidate of the party in Oyo State for the 2019 General Election. He asked the court to determine five issues. They are:

*”whether by the provision of Section 2(1) of the National Youth Service Corps Decree No. 24 of 1973 and/or any other provision of the Decree being the law in force as at 1978 when the Plaintiff graduated at the University of Ile-Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife) he was under any legal obligation to have warranted the plaintiff’s participation in the National Youth Service Corps in the absence of a call-up instrument duly served on the Plaintiff by the National Youth Service Corps.

*”whether, by the combined reading of Sections 176-183 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria [as Amended] and Article 20(iii) & (iv) of the Constitution of the All Progressive Congress; it is a condition that the gubernatorial aspirant of the 1st Defendant (APC) and/or any political party for that matter in Nigeria must present the National Youth Service Corps Discharge/Exemption Certificate;

*”Whether it is ultra vires the powers of the 1st defendant to have disqualified the plaintiff from participating in its primary election for nomination of the governorship candidate of the 1st defendant in Oyo State for the 2019 General Election on the ground that the plaintiff does not possess National Youth Service Corps Discharge/Exemption Certificate;

*”Whether it does not amount to denial of fair hearing as enshrined in Section 36(1) of the 1999 Constitution of as amended for the 1st defendant to have purportedly disqualified the Plaintiff from contesting for governorship election in Oyo State under the platform of the 1st defendant without availing the Plaintiff an opportunity to be heard on the allegations that the plaintiff avoided the National Youth Service Scheme; and

*”whether by the combined reading of the provisions of Sections 147(5), 65(1)(b) & (2), 66 (1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and Section 12 of the National Youth Service Corps Act, Cap N84 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, the plaintiff was qualified to have been appointed as a Minister capable of holding the office, and/or any other governmental office at any level notwithstanding the fact that he did not participate in the National Youth Service Corps Scheme.”

The court paper further reads

I was liable but not obligated to have participated in the National Youth Service Corps Scheme both at the time I graduated from the said University and as at the time I was called to the Nigerian Bar.

“I know as a fact that no “call-up instrument” was served on me as at 1978 when I graduated from the said University by the National Youth Service Corps to have warranted my participation in the scheme.

“I know as a fact that I was also not served any Notice or notified in any manner to proceed to participate in the National Youth Service Corps Scheme.

“I know as a fact that participation in the National Youth Service Corps programme is not one of the requirements to be satisfied under the 1st Defendant’s constitution to enable me participate in the primary election for Nominating the party flag bearer for the office of Governor of Oyo State in the 2019 General Election. A copy of the Constitution of the 1st Defendant is hereby attached and marked as “Exhibit SHITTU 8”.

“I also know as a fact that under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (As Amended) it is not a requirement for me to have participated in National Youth Service Corps Scheme to be eligible for participation in the 1st Defendant’s primary election for Nomination of its flag bearer in Oyo State for the 2019 General election.

“I know also as a fact that the Electoral Act 2010 [as Amended] did not make participation in the National Youth Service Corps Scheme a condition precedent for contesting any elective office whatsoever.

“I know also that participation in NYSC Scheme is not one of the requirements to enable me take part in primary election for Nomination of the 1st Defendant’s flag bearer for the office of Governor of Oyo State in the 2019 General election.”

Source: https://www.gistkit.com/naija-news/minister-of-communications-adebayo-shittu-drags-apc-to-court-for-disqualifying-him-over-nysc-certificate/

Minister Shittu might win the case and get the law to work in his favour.

The minimun qualification to contest governorship is education to at least a secondary school level.

At least the "dancing senator" Ademola Adeleke got away with his scrappy qualification.

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by Racoon(m): 11:50am On Oct 15, 2018
Just imagine this disgrace of a minister. sad
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by masseratti: 11:50am On Oct 15, 2018
A government with integrity would have sacked this man immediately it came to light that he didn't do the mandatory service after graduation, yes its true that NYSC certificate is not needed to be elected a Governor or appointed a minister but once you present a degree or HND as one of your qualifications, you must tender your NYSC certificate or discharge certificate with it, that's the law. NJC should start stripping some lawyers turning obvious law upside down for their own gains for wasting the time and resources of the courts.

4 Likes

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by samsam2019: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2018
Boko haram shittu grin grin grin
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by alujonjonkijon: 11:59am On Oct 15, 2018
no wonder ajimobi said this guy doesnt have class and cannot be a governor.only buhari can appoint such an unkempt,dirty looking chap a minister.

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2018
What impudence!
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by oluwasegun007(m): 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2018
I WILL DRAG BUHARI because DIZ MAN IS STILL IN HIS CABINET

1 Like

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by masseratti: 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2018
wink2015:

Minister Shittu might win the case and get the law to work in his favour.

The minimun qualification to contest governorship is education to at least a secondary school level.

At least the "dancing senator" Ademola Adeleke got away with his scrappy qualification.
he can't win náà if he presents his law certificate, if he present just his Wassce then yes he is qualified and he will win, but with a law degree and no NYSC certs, they will take him to the cleaners.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by ehissi(m): 12:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
genternity:
The way things are going now ,
APC may change their broom to
cutlass

angry angry angry

Guy! If I break head for here for inside laugh, just know that you are a wanted man...... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by ajayiopy: 12:15pm On Oct 15, 2018
I CAN NOT BE A SENATOR FOR 2-YEARS AND STILL BE AFRAID OF IMPEACHMENT.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by KoeChz(m): 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2018
Mr Shittu is on point, nysc is not a prerequisite for elective position in Nigeria. The former governor of oyo state alao akala didn't go for nysc and a couple of them are still in government presently. And at the time shittu graduated nysc service was not mandatory and service to the nation could be performed in other capacity. That's injustice rm the nwc of the apc; let the law court clarify the issue.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by noorlek: 12:24pm On Oct 15, 2018
Lawyers and thier court wahala ehn...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by braine(m): 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2018
You cant take someone to court and still remain friends
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by holluphemydavid(m): 12:43pm On Oct 15, 2018
If APC like make dem kill dem selves
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by meforyou1(m): 12:51pm On Oct 15, 2018
genternity:
The way things are going now ,
APC may change their broom to
cutlass
or dagger
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by Pennywise(m): 12:55pm On Oct 15, 2018
He served as a member of the National Assembly, so he should be exempted from NYSC. Most people will laugh at the stupidity of this submission, but this is Nigeria. If he gives a willing Judge some money and buys his judgement like many others before him he is back in play
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by daclemx: 12:57pm On Oct 15, 2018
ismaog4u:
heeeheee... this man without NYSC and bodly say it out after graduate at 25yrs... he must be joker of millennium...

DOES BUHARI HAVE NYSC CERTIFICATE? IF NO, THEN HE IS NOT FIT TO BE A PRESIDENT. KEMI SHOULD BE RETURNED.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by blustone(m): 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2018
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by blustone(m): 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2018

1. This reeks of impunity.
2. This man is a lawyer by profession, what exactly is he claiming?
3. This is what we get when you just go and take a bow at the Senate. Didn't the Senate thoroughly check all these?
4. This is also what you get when nobody has respect for Institutions!
5. Shouldn't this man be "arrested" by NYSC already?
6. So is he now bigger than other pple who went thru the NYSC system?
7. As a lawyer, he had already taken the law into his hand by deciding for himself, by himself and on himself that if you have a political appointment, it is akin to National Service.
8. From No.7 above, the man has created his own law for himself, by himself and on himself.
9. Please give 2 reasons why this man should not be sacked already.
10. With this few points of mine, pls someone tell this man to go hide his face in shame.
11. We don't have "leadership by example"; rather we have "ill-leadership by bad-example".
12. By the way, what is the punishment for pple who dodge NYSC?

13. Where are the LAWYERS in the house? See how una senior colleague dey fall una hand?

SHAMEFUL.

2 Likes

Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by SachaBastien(m): 1:03pm On Oct 15, 2018
This idiot proposed a 12% tax increase on data. He should hang.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by Tundeobama(m): 1:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
Assuming he even contested primary he will come a distant last.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by MightySparrow: 1:19pm On Oct 15, 2018
genternity:
The way things are going now , APC may change their broom to cutlass
Cutlass and rake
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by omoelerin1: 2:00pm On Oct 15, 2018
sismatic01:
But really NYSC certificate is not a criteria to run for governor according to our senseless constitution. Lol

You can become a president without NYSC but to get a decent job you must have the certificate. This can happen only in my kwantiri.
Basic education in most countries is primary and high school. In fact, in Nigeria, once you have completed junior secondary school, you have already had the basic and compulsory education. You may then decide to learn tailoring, bricklaying or any vocation you like which will serve as your profession. The same way any one who goes to university or polytechnic for the purpose of learning a specialized profession, like medicine, engineering, architecture and so on. University or polytechnic education is not and education but professional training like any other vocational training.
Having said that, Nigerian constitution believes that it is not everybody can go to university or polytechnic, since it is just meant for learning a profession. So when we are talking about democracy, a carpenter or automobile mechanic by profession should not be denied a right to contest for or hold a political office simply because he is a carpenter or mechanic which is his profession while an accountant or a surveyor by profession can occupy same position. After all, an accountant or a doctor by profession did not study presidency or governorship in the university. He only studied his specialized profession in the university or polytechnic after his high school, just like a someone who learned furniture making or military training after his secondary education.
Methinks this is the reason why the constitution says the requirements for anyone seeking to hold a political office is minimum of basic education which is high school or its equivalent.

On the issue of before one can get a decent job, you must have an NYSC cert. Well, it depends on the type of profession you want as a life career. You want to become a banker, you will definitely have a university or polytechnic certificate. You want to become a police officer, you may go to police training school. If the type of job you want in a govt ministry requires a university cert, you must have it.

I think where we make a mistake which is also the source of confusion is where we mandate only university and polytechnic graduates alone for National Service. Assuming anyone who attended secondary school is also mandated to go for service, I think this kind question of 'Why does a sch cert holder without NYSC occupy a governorship office while a university graduate without an NYSC denied same'? will not arise.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by TOPCRUISE(m): 2:07pm On Oct 15, 2018
That is the right thing to do. He should sue their ass and pay him damages in excess of the Governorship nomination form fee
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by donqx: 2:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
smiley
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by dyydxx: 2:29pm On Oct 15, 2018
omoelerin1:
Basic education in most countries is primary and high school. In fact, in Nigeria, once you have completed junior secondary school, you have already had the basic and compulsory education. You may then decide to learn tailoring, bricklaying or any vocation you like which will serve as your profession. The same way any one who goes to university or polytechnic for the purpose of learning a specialized profession, like medicine, engineering, architecture and so on. University or polytechnic education is not and education but professional training like any other vocational training.
Having said that, Nigerian constitution believes that it is not everybody can go to university or polytechnic, since it is just meant for learning a profession. So when we are talking about democracy, a carpenter or automobile mechanic by profession should not be denied a right to contest for or hold a political office simply because he is a carpenter or mechanic which is his profession while an accountant or a surveyor by profession can occupy same position. After all, an accountant or a doctor by profession did not study presidency or governorship in the university. He only studied his specialized profession in the university or polytechnic after his high school, just like a someone who learned furniture making or military training after his secondary education.
Methinks this is the reason why the constitution says the requirements for anyone seeking to hold a political office is minimum of basic education which is high school or its equivalent.

On the issue of before one can get a decent job, you must have an NYSC cert. Well, it depends on the type of profession you want as a life career. You want to become a banker, you will definitely have a university or polytechnic certificate. You want to become a police officer, you may go to police training school. If the type of job you want in a govt ministry requires a university cert, you must have it.

I think where we make a mistake which is also the source of confusion is where we mandate only university and polytechnic graduates alone for National Service. Assuming anyone who attended secondary school is also mandated to go for service, I think this kind question of 'Why does a sch cert holder without NYSC occupy a governorship office while a university graduate without an NYSC denied same'? will not arise.

ok do u think shittu's case has merits?
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by omoelerin1: 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2018
dyydxx:

ok do u think shittu's case has merits?
Am I defending shitu? God forbid! As far as l am concerned, he is not expected to remain in that office as a minister up till now. If Nigeria is not a lawless country, shittu and those who screened his certificates and cleared him ought to have be in prison by now.
You can see I quoted someone who said Nigerian constitution is mumu for given a sch cert holder without NYSC an opportunity to occupy political office while a university graduate without NYSC is not allowed to do so.
Re: Adebayo Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC Certificate by mechanics(m): 2:52pm On Oct 15, 2018
He's wasting his time and money.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adamu, Ex-PDP Governor Docked Over ₦15bn Fraud May Be Next APC Chairman / Kogi State Replies Dangote On Obajana Cement (Video) / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.