Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Studying Computer Science At 40? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Studying Computer Science At 40? (1922 Views)

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It / At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Computer Science At 40? by 40men: 2:00am On Oct 16, 2018
Hello beautiful people,

I'll be 40 next year. I'm considering going back to school, In fact I've gotten an admission into the National Open University to study Computer Science.

I've filled the form before I realized my mistake, though I have the passion for computer science when I was very young, but considering my age now, I don't think I can cope anymore.
They've issued matric number already hence I can't easily change my course, so I've no option than to opt for the course.

Mistake no 1
I'm working presently, no time to study codes

Mistake 2
Computer science requires a lot of mathematics, even the simplest math I don't know, I left school many years ago to study profession course in graphic design.

My questions?
Do you think I can cope mathematically?
Is computer science a difficult course?
What can I do to get a good grade?

Please, I need urgent answers. God bless you all.
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by mrkingjerry(m): 4:08am On Oct 16, 2018
Y not you go for data communication
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by 40men: 6:50am On Oct 16, 2018
mrkingjerry:
Y not you go for data communication

I've applied for computer science already, I change it. Thank u
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by 40men: 8:10am On Oct 16, 2018
I need more advice pls, I'm running outta time.

Seun
Lalasticlala
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by codemarshal08(m): 8:33am On Oct 16, 2018
There is no age limit for studying computer science. if you are determined, age can't stop you.
Please computer science is not all about codes.
Now to your questions

Yes, if you really want to. you do not need to become a professor in mathematics to study computer science

it is just like any other course you know

You need to do a lot of self study. The internet is full of resources. Try to brush up on your mathematics knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by eazycash: 8:44am On Oct 16, 2018
you cannot throw away mathematics and grab computer science. they are like 5 & 6!computer science is all about computing and the application of scientific principles in the area of computing.everything is possible with you and you alone, it all depends on you.make out time,employ the service of a private tutor or probably engage the service of a student who is into full time study of the course. i believe that will go along way to help.

1 Like

Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by OpenYourEyes1: 8:48am On Oct 16, 2018
Depends on what you want to accomplish in life with computer science.

I'd rather do self study without the unnecessary mathematics and school brainwashing.

4 Likes

Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by 40men: 9:31am On Oct 16, 2018
OpenYourEyes1:
Depends on what you want to accomplish in life with computer science.

I'd rather do self study without the unnecessary mathematics and school brainwashing.

In the next 4years I'm moving to Canada with my family, I need the certificate

2 Likes

Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by 40men: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2018
codemarshal08:
There is no age limit for studying computer science. if you are determined, age can't stop you.
Please computer science is not all about codes.
Now to your questions

Yes, if you really want to. you do not need to become a professor in mathematics to study computer science

it is just like any other course you know

You need to do a lot of self study. The internet is full of resources. Try to brush up on your mathematics knowledge

Thank you
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by mukhcech(m): 11:38pm On Nov 05, 2018
40men:

In the next 4years I'm moving to Canada with my family, I need the certificate

Please can I follow you. �
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by airsaylongcon: 1:28am On Nov 06, 2018
Age is not a barrier. As long as you have a problem solving mindset you'd do well. Disabuse your mind from the wrong notion that computing has a lot of mathematics. It's basic mathematics with Discrete Mathematics and perhaps Numerical Methods all of which you should do well in if u have a mindset geared towards problem solving. I was in my late 20s when I studied Computer Science with people 10years younger than me. Ended up having tutorials for them as I chose to "die there" studying Computing.

PS: Computer Science is a whole lot more than coding.

If your aim is to migrate to Canada, I'd do NOUN's Nursing Programme instead. Their Computer Science programme isn't up to date (I can provide you the link to a recommended Computer Science syllabus from the IEEE). Nursing however gives you opportunities in Canada.

Here's the link
https://www . acm . org / binaries /content /assets/ education/ cs2013_web_final.pdf
(Remove all the spaces)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by kensmoney(m): 9:02pm On Nov 11, 2018
Studing computer sc in Nigeria does not worth it, bcus it more of theory instead of practical. However if u HV passion in IT , while not register for bootcamp . moreover information technology (IT) nowadays is more of skills not certification
Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by PenileFitness: 3:22pm On Nov 14, 2018
Go and get SS1 - SS3 Mathematics and Further Mathematics text books and look for where you can start off from or better yet just start from SS1. Move as fast as possible... create extra time to study maths. Seriously, you NEED a strong knowledge of mathematics to get a very good understanding of computer science or you would just get a mediocre grade.

40men:
Hello beautiful people,

I'll be 40 next year. I'm considering going back to school, In fact I've gotten an admission into the National Open University to study Computer Science.

I've filled the form before I realized my mistake, though I have the passion for computer science when I was very young, but considering my age now, I don't think I can cope anymore.
They've issued matric number already hence I can't easily change my course, so I've no option than to opt for the course.

Mistake no 1

Mistake 2
Computer science requires a lot of mathematics, even the simplest math I don't know, I left school many years ago to study profession course in graphic design.

My questions?

Re: Studying Computer Science At 40? by Ikennablue(m): 7:49pm On Nov 14, 2018
40men:
Hello beautiful people,

Mistake no 1

Mistake 2

My questions?

If you stay in Abuja i can help you. You have made a good decision. I can teach you mathematics privately at your own convenient time. I'll teach you to be well grounded in the very foundation you need to fair well in a university and if you have a laptop, I'll also teach you programming from the very basics. My number is 08121148673

(1) (Reply)

A Reminder That Abeg Was Built With PHP. / Nigeria Mern Stack And Javascript Developers Thread / Can I Use Hp Pavilion G6 For Programming???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.