Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,192 members, 7,815,159 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning (41788 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by AkandeTK(m): 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2018
Oluwatomisin.... God is enough for me to worship
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by folake4u(f): 11:18pm On Oct 17, 2018
Folake grin cheesy
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by RexTramadol1: 11:21pm On Oct 17, 2018
Lami abia
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by dayton8701(m): 11:27pm On Oct 17, 2018
[quote author=NoToPile post=72183311]

Mayowa would have a prefix such as ola,oluwa e.t.c you can't make a direct translation in Yoruba language.
Just like" MALAOLU

Simply means mu aso funfun fun Orissa
Mu-Ala- Olu
Mu- give
Ala- white
Olu - in this context is refer to as gods
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Titugirl(f): 11:28pm On Oct 17, 2018
Atinuke cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by FisifunKododada: 11:57pm On Oct 17, 2018
Don't forget:

First Name: Gbadubule

Last Name: Dodada
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Tpresh(f): 12:05am On Oct 18, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Oluwamuayomikun- Lord has made my joy full Oluwasemiloore- lord has done me good.

Thanks for adding Oluwamayomikun jare

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Cerakay: 12:14am On Oct 18, 2018
My name is Wole Majekodunmi meaning
Wole- Enter
Majekodunmi: don't let it pain me
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by computerglobal(m): 12:27am On Oct 18, 2018
princetom1:

OluComputerglobal grin cheesy

Baba Princetom1 grin
Boss it's bn a while
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by baby124: 1:04am On Oct 18, 2018
kandi006:
Nice names,
Morenikeji means I am not alone, someone is with me.
Morenikeji means I have seen my double or the one who takes after me. Typically for a girl child and her mother. Kind of like a Junior for boys.
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by baby124: 1:05am On Oct 18, 2018
DjSwaga:
Tiwa is actually Tiwatope or Tiwatayo

Tiwatope : our condition warrant us to thank God / we deserve to thank God

Tiwatayo : we deserve to be happy
There’s also Tiwalade and Tiwalayo.
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by baby124: 1:07am On Oct 18, 2018
Marotzke:
Oyindamola!
What does it mean.
Sweetness mixed with wealth. In summary the sweetness of wealth
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by baby124: 1:11am On Oct 18, 2018
OP almost all Yoruba names are unisex except the names that end with *ke* or begin with *ye*. That is *pamper* and *mother*. Those names are for girls. All the names you wrote there are all unisex except the obvious female oriki names.
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by kinggSamuel(m): 3:35am On Oct 18, 2018
80 percent of girls bearing blessing that I have met are Yoruba girls. Who else has experienced this!
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Afonja007: 3:48am On Oct 18, 2018
Investbrooker:
Proudly Yoruba. We are a great race.
We have a beautiful culture and unique language.
There is nothing like being Yoruba.
is not complete where is weimotu salamotu ramotu muyibaotu mulikat suliaotu tawakalitu abibaotu wasilaotu amudaotu rukayyaotu angry

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Afonja007: 3:50am On Oct 18, 2018
hisexcellency34:
I am Igbo but Yoruba have the most beautiful names for girls like

Anike
Asake
Asabi
Awelewa
awelewa is a beautiful name?
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Afonja007: 3:54am On Oct 18, 2018
teepha:

Gerrarahere mehn...Georgia ko Dallas ni
All those names you mentioned has no meaning. The name you give a child has an impact it will play on that child's life...
so anuoluwapo and elon musk or Bill gate which one will choose to be your
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by noob03saibot(m): 4:55am On Oct 18, 2018
omoelerin1:
Even Adepeju is not correct. It means the crown is gathered completely/perfectly.
thanks for this. Especially that Bisi meaning, it made me very very uncomfortable. I ain't yoruba but lived in yoruba land for over two decades. So I have ideas about the meanings of the names. knew two Bisis back then who were guys.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by noob03saibot(m): 4:58am On Oct 18, 2018
femi4:
Tiwa: our own
Abidemi is unisex
Lolade is not God is with you
Lolade : The wealthy one has arrived
Oluwapelumi: God is with you/me

Bisi is not first daughter, Bisi means "added or multiply". The full name can be Olabisi: Wealth added, Adebisi: Crown added etc

Oluwabusayo: God added to my JOY not wealth

Too many errors and bloggers will just be doing copy and paste
thanks for this. Noticed it too
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by femi4: 5:21am On Oct 18, 2018
ajepako:
I was never in doubt my name will be there...

Titi Alayo... ... Everlasting Happiness joy in point....

Cheers to Mama Tee grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Ugwoji101(m): 5:28am On Oct 18, 2018
NOW LET ME TELL YOU THE MEANING OF SOME YORUBA NAMES IN IGBO:
1.RAMAOTU:CONTINUE BLEEPING.
2.OLANIYI:WASTED
3.YEMISI:GIVE ME HEAD.
4.BUKOLA:CARRY IT

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Benwallt(m): 5:31am On Oct 18, 2018
Bolatito mean how rich I am.
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Hoodbilonia: 5:58am On Oct 18, 2018
my yroba babe running away.she said i fuc her too much
dah everytym ita fuc fuc fuc
dah she ddnt gain snything
but i fuc dah girl sha
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Sylverly(m): 6:03am On Oct 18, 2018
Where is Funke!!!!!
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:12am On Oct 18, 2018
One Yorùbá name I love and would like to give to my child is Mayé.

Mayé means "knows the world."

It's the name of one of the characters in Fémi Òshófisán's play, Women of Owú.

MariaLavina, do you love this name too?
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 18, 2018
Meaning of Tinunbu, Fashola, Obasanjo, Otedola. Mobalaji, Awolowo, Folawiyo, Odutola, Abiola, these names carries heavy weight, some of the names listed by Op is ironic, filled with wealth and glory, knew many by those names, but living in squalor.
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by Pearl05(f): 7:20am On Oct 18, 2018
What is the meaning of oluwadaramisi? I'm not too sure of the spelling
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by sophiathefirst: 7:27am On Oct 18, 2018
Beautiful names
I can deduce some part of the names and what they mean, I guess
Ade is crown
Ayo is joy
Abi is a child born
Ola is wealth.
Oluwa is God

Abeg where una put my friend's name kehinde

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by olamakinde(m): 7:38am On Oct 18, 2018
Rumicarter:

Even the name is not correct self. It is either Tiwatope or Tiwaloluwa.
what of tiwalade

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by LordTrezy(m): 8:09am On Oct 18, 2018
holluphemydavid:

Same opinion with me, meanwhile d full name is Tiwatope and will love to knw d meaning of Dat
Tiwatope: Ours is praise worthy
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by kechywillz(m): 8:31am On Oct 18, 2018
What is the meaning of Yemisi,it's not written there? grin
Re: Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning by femi4: 8:36am On Oct 18, 2018
Pearl05:
What is the meaning of oluwadaramisi? I'm not too sure of the spelling
Oluwadarasimi: God has been good to me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk / How To Identify A Nigerian (pic) / Ooni Of Ife's Wife, Wuraola Is Pregnant, Flaunts Baby Bump (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.