Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,208 members, 7,867,510 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:26 PM

As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. (310 Views)

I Love This Man, Why Can't He Contest For The Presidency In 2023 ?? / Another Man Rides Bicycle From Niger To Adamawa State To Support Atiku (pics / "God Will Never Forgive Me If I Support Atiku For President" — Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. by TonyOputa(m): 10:11am On Oct 17, 2018
On the 4th & 5th of January 1967 a Meeting was held in Aburi, Ghana as a way of averting the looming civil war. This meeting was attended by delegates of both the Federal Government of Nigeria (the Supreme Military Council) and the Eastern delegates, led by the Eastern Region's leader Colonel Ojukwu.

At this Meeting the Eastern region led by Ojukwu agreed on a CONFEDERATION kind of GOVERNMENT, and the civil war broke as result of the then Supreme Military Council initiating decrees that went contrary to the Interpretations of the ACCORD by the Eastern Region.

Since the post Civil War era, the SOUTH EAST has always agitated for the REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA and this agitation was born out of the feeling of neglect they get in this union called NIGERIA.

It is Good to note that the Igbo Man's first call was not for a nation of is own but for a form of government that guarantees equal rights, equal opportunities and mutual respect for all citizens therein regardless of their ethnicity. A Government where an IGBO MAN will not be looked at as a second class citizen.
Biafra was only declared when the Supreme Military Council showed no plans of obeying the Aburi Accord.

Overtime, the perceived unequal treatment of the Eastern region gave rise to so many Pro-Biafra movement such as MASSOB, IPOB etc and the followership these movements enjoyed was a clear indication of what the People feel.

In 2014, the Federal Government under Goodluck Jonathan out of its wisdom initiated the NATIONAL CONFAB where sincere discussions were held as regards our unity as a nation and resolutions were reached. The average IGBO MAN was happy and hoping for a better future but upon the emergence of this present Administration, the most sincere progress we made as per discussing our continued stay as a nation was swept under the carpet.

WHY ATIKU?
Since the return of Democracy to our dear nation, Atiku has been the only Leader that has consistently stated in clear terms on his stand on RESTRUCTURING, his quest for DEVOLUTION OF POWERS and DECENTRALIZED form of Government.

OHANEZE NDIGBO being that apex body of the IGBO Ethnic Nationality has over time stated it's preference of a RESTRUCTURED Nigeria, and on the 8th July 2018, the body stated I clear terms that IGBOS WON'T SUPPORT CANDIDATES OPPOSED TO RESTRUCTURING and so far so good, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar is the only candidate that has consistently indicated his stand on RESTRUCTURING.

Considering that a RESTRUCTURED Nigeria was the reason we from the South East went to war in first place and even declared a republic, it is safe to say that a properly Restructured Nigeria worth more to us than even an IGBO PRESIDENCY.

My Support for Alhaji Atiku is for the Emancipation of the IGBO Ethnic Nationality, is is for the realization of the dreams of Late Odumegwu Ojukwu, and all fallen heros of the land of the rising sun. For in the candidacy of ATIKU, our interest is fully secured.

Ugochukwu Tony Oputa
Ozubulu, Anambra State.[b][/b]

Re: As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. by googlepikins: 10:17am On Oct 17, 2018
APC by night is Gov Umahi

Re: As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. by TonyOputa(m): 10:25am On Oct 17, 2018
The guy is one of the major sellout we have in Southeast. Same as most of our political leaders.
Re: As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. by gidgiddy: 10:37am On Oct 17, 2018
The unfortunate thing that Atiku is not telling anyone is that the President of Nigeria had no power to restructure Nigeria. Only the national assembly has the power to restructure Nigeria. So if Atiku is telling anyone he will restructure Nigeria, he is a lier.

But I want to hasten to add that if whoever is the President of Nigeria should support restructuring, it is a big boost. But only the national assembly can restructure Nigeria

However, it is impossible that Nigeria will be restructured. The North are against just as they were against it after Aburi.

Nobody will ever convince the core North to agree to restructuring and give up all the privileges they have become used to since the end of the war. They also control 40% of the National Assembly.

Anyone thinking about restructuring in Nigeria should forget it.

The only way for one to get restructuring is to agitate for independence.

4 Likes

Re: As An Igbo Man, Why I Support Atiku. by TonyOputa(m): 11:30am On Oct 17, 2018
Quite true. But like you said. It's better we have a president that shows support for restructuring. It's a good start.

(1) (Reply)

AFCON 2019: South African Coach, Baxter, Reveals What Gernot Rohr Warned Him Abo / Court Orders Police To Pay Charly Boy N50m Damages / BMO To US Ambassador: Don’t Trivialise Anti-Graft War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.