Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,084 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 (21747 Views)

Boko Haram Lived In My Home For 8 Months When PDP Was In Power -buba Marwa / Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate. / Atiku, Osita Chidoka, Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi Inside Atiku's Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Presido44: 7:00am On Oct 18, 2018
mandax:
Nollywood contributes huge revenues to Nigeria's coffers.

But one thing, President Buhari who believes that agriculture shall be Nigeria's live wire refuses to be Agriculture Minister, but takes up post of Petroleum Minister.
For good reasons, try see it from a bottom-down approach, the proceeds from petroleum will be used to fund agricultural projects
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 18, 2018
Tk4all:
the fact that we patriotic Nigerians had decided to vote APC out in 2019 did not mean every Tom and Jerry should be spewing trash and playing with our intelligence.

oga, was it PDP that opened nollywood or what exactly is your point?
But you cannot vote APC our until PDP and their supporters show us what they did conclusively for 16year otherwise APC will rule for another 18year and when I say APC I mean Nigerians that have never been a member of PDP since the democratic period

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by grandstar(m): 7:08am On Oct 18, 2018
Nollywoods start was in 1993.
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by WorldRichest: 7:14am On Oct 18, 2018
Don't measure a man's stupidity by his looks. The guy looks handsome and educated but as his stupidity level is high. He is a worthless nincompoop, a useless IPOB miscreant. His thoughts and speeches are sardonic, lugubrious and domestic animals like.

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Presido44: 7:16am On Oct 18, 2018
mandax:
Nollywood contributes huge revenues to Nigeria's coffers.

But one thing, President Buhari who believes that agriculture shall be Nigeria's live wire refuses to be Agriculture Minister, but takes up post of Petroleum Minister.
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by NSK4U(m): 7:23am On Oct 18, 2018
a government that is ready to govern doesn't need to blame the past governments before getting into work. 3 and half years of APC has been spent on blame games and they still want to come back in 2019 to continue with it. God forbid it
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Tk4all(m): 7:37am On Oct 18, 2018
Z4Gardell:

But you cannot vote APC our until PDP and their supporters show us what they did conclusively for 16year otherwise APC will rule for another 18year and when I say APC I mean Nigerians that have never been a member of PDP since the democratic period

I understand your point but I'm just choosing a lesser evil.
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Tk4all(m): 7:38am On Oct 18, 2018
xage:

You and your poultry chickens must have decided...so beware of danger of generalizing

E pain am
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Tk4all(m): 7:38am On Oct 18, 2018
xage:

You and your poultry chickens must have decided...so beware of danger of generalizing

E pain am
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 18, 2018
Chidoka, Chidoka, Chidoka, Nwa Obosi.
The blockbuster"Living In Bondage" was the rave when you were diapers wearing kid at Umaguma Village. You are not ashamed after serving as a minister, you are now serving as a special assistant to a party chairman. Ihere megbu kwa gi. Ezi Bida
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Tk4all(m): 7:40am On Oct 18, 2018
front4line:

I am positive you mean pathetic Igbos.

No. patriotic Nigerians.
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by ladman(m): 7:44am On Oct 18, 2018
Tospringe:
I used to see Osita as an intelligent man, but I can boldly say he's a dunce and speaks like a dummy.

He is intelligent and speaks like a politician. No one should blame him, PDP politicians are so confident since atiku's emergence they forgot how they messed up the country.

Can you imagine? He made it seem Nigeria were merely tired and wanted to try something new.

PDP lost because Jonathan's government performed poorly and the people protected their votes. Buhari will lose for the same reason.

I really wish a third party can win but we are stuck between two demonic plagues called parties.

Osita like keyamo, sowunmi, and others are demons claiming to be angels.

2 Likes

Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by ndukaejime1994(m): 7:44am On Oct 18, 2018
xjiggy:
I suspect this guy smokes a mixture of dry shyte with pepper. No nollywood before 1999. Stupid boy. As for the phone lines, is it free? Was it not under the same PDP we were buying sim card for #54,000? Or he's forgotten how we paid Obasanjo #1 for every recharge by adding *1* to recharge pins?

I agree with you on buying SIM for #54k but about the #1 to obasanjo is not true... You have no proof, don't spoil people's name with stories you hear from people around the street... Make proper verification first... You maybe a high profile personality one day, it won't tell good if people spread these kinds of rumors against you without proof. Thank you
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Niorte: 7:59am On Oct 18, 2018
Stop! Think! Then comment.

He was not saying there was no movies or film before 1999.

Nollywood is an organisation/association of artistes.

Nollywood brought some level of cooperation, regulation, monetisation etc to Nigeria Movie Industry.

Try to understand others before clamouring to be understood
In 2012, it was announced that Nollywood would be celebrating its 20-year anniversary. This year marked the 20th year after the release of direct-to-video movie Living in Bondage (1992), which arguably marked the boom in the video film era. The anniversary was eventually celebrated in June 2013.[9][20][21]

The event was later revealed to be a decision of a segment of the industry and not a unanimously agreed event; the event was organized by Association of Movie Producers (AMP), an association consisting of producers of video films.[9][20][21] Since announcement of the "Nollywood @ 20" event in 2012 till its celebration in 2013, the event had sparked controversies from many stakeholders; most of whom believed the industry was much older than 20 years. Since Nollywood has been a term for the entire Nigerian film industry, it was argued that Living in Bondage cannot be used to celebrate the Nigerian film industry, stating that the film wasn't, in fact, the first Nigerian video film, neither was it the first "successful" video film,[22] much less the first Nigerian film.[23]

This controversial celebration also gave rise to reports that another segment of the industry, the "Association of Nigeria Theatre Arts Practitioners (ANTP)" are planning to rename the industry into another term which would encompass the entire history of Nigerian film industry, since the term Nollywood has allegedly become ethnically dichotomized.[21][24] While it was argued by supporters of the event that it was the "Nollywood brand" that was being celebrated and not the industry, counter-arguments were made that the term "Nollywood" came into existence only in the 2000s, so explanations were needed on how the "Nollywood Brand" could be extended to the year 1992 which isn't specifically significant in any way, and why not just to the very first Nigerian film that was made.[25][26]

Alex Eyengho had noted in a 2012 article that the term "Nollywood" was absent during the formative years of both the video film era and the Golden Age.[7] Seun Apara, in his article on 360Nobs.com stated: "It's either the promoters of the event didn't do their research well or intentionally do not want to reckon with history".[9] Adegboyega Oyeniya comments: "I don't know what they are talking about by celebrating 'Nollywood @ 20'; are they celebrating Ramsey Tokunbo Nouah or Genevieve Nnaji? Probably, they are celebrating fortune. These people should stop deceiving Nigerians".[27] Some media outlets also reported that the event was a result of greed and selfish interests, as the organizers visited political figures to solicit funds in the name of the Industry, but allegedly shared the funds raised amongst themselves.[9] Another issue raised to fault the event is that the real "achievers" in Nollywood were not honoured, but rather the practitioners at almost the same level with the organizers of the supposed flawed event were honoured.[23]

Several filmmakers and stakeholders expressed their displeasure with the supposed false celebration; Kunle Afolayan commented: "The whole idea of Nollywood at 20 does not make sense to me because the Nollywood that I know is more than 20 years. I remember my father shot a film about 37 years ago and I also grew up in the industry. As far as am concerned, it's absolute crap".[9] In another interview, he stated: "If Nollywood is the name that people decide to call the movie industry in Nigeria, then I am part of it. If Nollywood is what they say is 20 years, then I am not part of that Nollywood because I have been doing film business for more than 30 years now".[28] Jide Kosoko also commented: "The Nigerian movie industry as far as I'm concerned is not 20 years. If we all truly belong to the same industry, then the industry I belong to is not 20 years. There is a need to tell the world the sincere story of our industry and don't rubbish the pioneers. As far as I am concerned, what they are celebrating is Living in Bondage and not Nollywood".[9] Tunde Kelani stated: "how will Nollywood be celebrating 20 years and I am over 40 years in the industry?".[27]

President of Actors Guild of Nigeria at the time, Ibinabo Fiberesima, admitted that Nollywood is more than 20, but given what was considered an unconvincing statement on the reason behind the event, stating: "It's about celebrating our own even though Nollywood is more than 20 years. It's been long that people have been celebrating us but right now, we are celebrating ourselves and giving lots back to society. It's a good step we have taken especially now that the qualities of our movies have improved".[9]
Source: Wikipedia
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by ElizabethMadume: 8:03am On Oct 18, 2018
This one is an own goal... cry
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Realhommie(m): 8:06am On Oct 18, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
There was but the nomenclature "Nollywood" hasn't been coined.
You got it correctly, this is exactly what he meant.. He didn't say the movie industry was non existent, of course he isn't that dumb.

Nigerians sha like to react to everything from a political angle. I watched it live, he also said there was no Channels Tv when PDP came into power. He claimed too that PMB doesn't have an Economic adviser but he was corrected at the end of the show by the anchor who rightly mentioned his name, he's a Yoruba guy..

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Realhommie(m): 8:07am On Oct 18, 2018
Niorte:
Stop! Think! Then comment.

He was not saying there was no movies or film before 1999.

Nollywood is an organisation/association of artistes.

Nollywood brought some level of cooperation, regulation, monetisation etc to Nigeria Movie Industry.

Try to understand others before clamouring to be understood
Exactly bro..
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by cyrus1992(m): 8:32am On Oct 18, 2018
Tk4all:
the fact that we patriotic Nigerians had decided to vote APC out in 2019 did not mean every Tom and Jerry should be spewing trash and playing with our intelligence.

oga, was it PDP that opened nollywood or what exactly is your point?

For those of you quoting me.
Nollywood started in early 90's when PDP was not in existence.

why is that every aboki supporting APC thinks that PDP members are igbos I know sane Muslims who are not supporting pmb and are full blooded Muslims from core north.
lastly am not and will never be an Igbo man. though I don't have problems with them same as I don't have problems with Muslims or .....

But bros, looking at it well.....hes somehow right, just that his verbal construction of that statement is somehow wrong.
Since the time of movies like "living in bondage", "karashika", "domitila"....Nigeria had an active and existent movie industry then, but it had no national recognition or name.
Then james ibori came along,
Called the whole actors and veterans to delta state, must have paid them or something, and the result of that summoning is what we know as the "AGN" today, Actors Guild of Nigeria..........and that is why 80% of Nigerian movies are always being shot at delta state.
So, somehow hes right!!!
Afterall james ibori was a governor under PDP then.
hes somehow right, just that he should have expressed himself better.

1 Like

Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by bluefilm: 9:53am On Oct 18, 2018
Someone should just inform this guy to desist from saying anything to the public again.

According to one wise man, everyone looks smart until they start to speak.
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by kulekaa(m): 10:33am On Oct 18, 2018
Amen
Re: Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 by Bane2020: 10:38am On Oct 18, 2018
Hotfreezer:
As dumb as Chidoka sounds, he's one of the most intelligent Ipob supporters.

If an 'intelligent" Chidoka can be sounding like this, how would the unintelligent Igbos sound?
Definitely smarter than your dunce of a father.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Development :Lagos Has Larger Annual Budget Than Rwanda But Less Developed. / Ekiti Govt Imposes Curfew, Bans Public Gathering Of More Than 20 / Daddy Showkey Meets James Ibori (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.