Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,728 members, 7,851,500 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:52 PM

Special Eagles May Miss World Cup Starting Next Week - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Special Eagles May Miss World Cup Starting Next Week (444 Views)

2021 AFCON Qualifier: Why Super Eagles May Travel By Boat To Benin – Rohr / Lekki Shooting: Super Eagles May Boycott Remaining AFCON Qualifiers / 2018 World Cup: Super Eagles May Reach Semi-final – Nwankwo Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Special Eagles May Miss World Cup Starting Next Week by tolex29(f): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2018
I hear these guys have qualified for the world cup three (3) times but were not able to attend because of funding and publicity. They are on the verge of missing the next one which starts next week on the 24th of October in Mexico. Though I hear they have secured visas and a lot of support have been coming in from left, right and center, but hey let me introduce the Nairaland family to Nigeria's Amputee Football team, the Special Eagles! Bet a lot of us are hearing about them for the first time.

I got to know about these guys on Lagos Talks (sports show anchored by Charles Anozodo, Segun Agbede & Co.) and I've been following up since then. Lately, they were involved in an auto accident while travelling to Abuja for their visas. Thank God, there were no fatalities. They had to travel by road cause they didn't have money to fly.

In a country where the handicapped are relegated to the back seat yet they win laurels when they attend international events, I strongly feel that we all should ensure these guys get to Mexico and make us proud, if the "able" Super Eagles failed to do so in Russia. I hear they have resorted to begging for funds on social media and GoFundMe to get money for tickets including basic needs such as food and proper equipment.Jeez!!! To imagine that it's in this same country our politicians throw money about with reckless abandon!!!!
Unfortunately, the response to the GoFundMe has been extremely poor. With a £52,000 target, only about 40% has been raised as at the last time I got an update. President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, donated $5,000 to the team some weeks back which enabled them to resume training. The needs of the team cannot be met with this amount, and there is need for more funds to support the preparations for the tournament. I learnt this morning that members of the Super Eagles through their captain Ahmed Musa have also reached out.

I listened to the story of their captain and it was one that melted my heart; and I'm sure so will all the other members of the team have similar touching stories that brought them to this point. He said they were not asking for bonuses or allowances, they just want to represent Nigeria.

The World Cup Amputee Football will kick off on the 24th of October, 2018 in Mexico. Currently, 46 countries play amputee football. The African countries include Angola, Kenya, Nigeria, Malawi, Tanzania, Ghana, Rwanda, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Uganda.

Nigeria is in the same group with Russia, El Salvador and Brazil. Kenya is in the same group with USA, Turkey and Iran. Angola will face Haiti, Ukraine and Spain at the group stages. While Ghana will battle Argentina, Italy and France in the group stage.

https://thisisafrica.me/nigeria-amputee-football-team-could-miss-worldcup/

Re: Special Eagles May Miss World Cup Starting Next Week by tolex29(f): 12:19pm On Oct 18, 2018
Michael Ck Ishiguzo, former Stationary Stores player plying his trace with Arsenal FC amputees

Re: Special Eagles May Miss World Cup Starting Next Week by SGR1: 12:30pm On Oct 18, 2018
Never knew they play international too....
Re: Special Eagles May Miss World Cup Starting Next Week by tolex29(f): 12:50pm On Oct 18, 2018
SGR1:
Never knew they play international too....

Now you know. Welcome to the club of those who have found knowledge

(1) (Reply)

BBC Sport Editor Apologizes After Claiming Thai Model Crash Victim Was Leicester / Football Terms Explained: Why Is It Called A Hat-trick? / UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: 3 Lessons We Learnt From Juventus Vs Man Utd Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.