Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,958 members, 7,952,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:02 AM

Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' (6225 Views)

Between Google Chrome & Microsort Edge. What's Your Addiction? / 8 Awesome Fact About Technology. See No. 4 / Checkout The 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop In Nigeria (especially (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by Techvenge: 7:24am On Oct 20, 2018
[img]https://images.theconversation.com/files/218641/original/file-20180511-135462-1ymtnef.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=754&fit=clip[/img]
1) TECHNOLOGY IS NOT A DRUG

Some people have claimed that technology use activates the same pleasure centers of the brain as cocaine, heroin or methamphetamine. That’s vaguely true, but brain responses to pleasurable experiences are not reserved only for unhealthy things.

Anything fun results in an increased dopamine release in the “pleasure circuits” of the brain – whether it’s going for a swim, reading a good book, having a good conversation, eating or having sex. Technology use causes dopamine release similar to other normal, fun activities: about 50 to 100 percent above normal levels.

Cocaine, by contrast, increases dopamine 350 percent, and methamphetamine a whopping 1,200 percent. In addition, recent evidence has found significant differences in how dopamine receptors work among people whose computer use has caused problems in their daily lives, compared to substance abusers. But I believe people who claim brain responses to video games and drugs are similar are trying to liken the drip of a faucet to a waterfall.

2) Technology addiction is not common
People who talk about tech addictions often express frustration with their smartphone use, or they can’t understand why kids game so much. But these aren’t real addictions, involving significant interference with other life activities such as school, work or social relationships.
My own research has suggested that 3 percent of gamers – or less – develop problem behaviors, such as neglecting schoolwork to the point that grades suffer. Most of those difficulties are mild and go away on their own over time.

3) Technology addiction is not a mental illness

In June 2018, the World Health Organization added
“gaming disorder” to its International Compendium of Diseases.

But it’s a very controversial decision. I am among 28 scholars who wrote to the WHO protesting that the decision was poorly informed by science. The WHO seemed to ignore research that suggested “gaming disorder” is more a symptom of other, underlying mental health issues such as depression, rather than its own disorder.

This year, the Media Psychology and Technology division of the American Psychological Association, of which I am a fellow, likewise released a statement critical of the WHO’s decision. The WHO’s sister organization, UNICEF, also argued against using “addiction” language to describe children’s screen use.

Controversies aside, I have found that current data doesn’t support technology addictions as stand-alone diagnoses. For example, there’s the Oxford study that found people who rate higher in what is called “game addiction” don’t show more psychological or health problems than others. Additional research has suggested that any problems technology overusers may experience tend to be milder than would happen with a mental illness, and usually go away on their own without treatment.

4) ‘Tech addiction’ is not caused by technology

Most of the discussion of technology addictions suggest that technology itself is mesmerizing, harming normal brains. But my research suggests that technology addictions generally are symptoms of other, underlying disorders like depression, anxiety and attention problems. People don’t think that depressed people who sleep all day have a “bed addiction.”

This is of particular concern when considering who needs treatment, and for what conditions. Efforts to treat “technology addiction” may do little more than treat a symptom, leaving the real problem intact.

5) Technology is not uniquely addictive

There’s little question that some people overdo a wide range of activities. Those activities do include technology use, but also exercise, eating, sex, work, religion and shopping. There are even research papers on dance addiction. But few of these have official diagnoses. There’s little evidence that technology is more likely to be overused than a wide range of other enjoyable activities.

6) Technology use does not lead to suicide
Some pundits have pointed to a recent rise in suicide rates among teen girls as evidence for tech problems. But suicide rates increased for almost all age groups, particularly middle-aged adults, for the 17-year period from 1999 to 2016. This rise apparently began around 2008, during the financial collapse, and has become more pronounced since then. That undercuts the claim that screens are causing suicides in teens, as does the fact that suicide rates are far higher among middle-aged adults than youth. There appears to be a larger issue going on in society. Technopanics could be distracting regular people and health officials from identifying and treating it.

One recent paper claimed to link screen use to teen depression and suicide. But another scholar with access to the same data revealed the effect was no larger than the link between eating potatoes and suicide. This is a problem: Scholars sometimes make scary claims based on tiny data that are often statistical blips, not real effects.

To be sure, there are real problems related to technology, such as privacy issues. And people should balance technology use with other aspects of their lives. It’s also worth keeping an eye out for the very small percentage of individuals who do overuse. There’s a tiny kernel of truth to our concerns about technology addictions, but the available evidence suggests that claims of a crisis, or comparisons to substance abuse, are entirely unwarranted.

https://www.techvenge.com/2018/10/debunking-biggest-myths-tech.html
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by Sweetcollins: 7:28am On Oct 20, 2018
It's no doubt that science and technology havevthe answer to virtually everything.
But the theory of evolution still remains a myth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by NwaAmaikpe: 7:28am On Oct 20, 2018
shocked

I am a technology junkie.
So no,

You didn't debunk your first two myths.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 20, 2018
Techvenge:

1) TECHNOLOGY IS NOT A DRUG
Nobody talk say technology na drug before. We know all no say drug and technology na two different things. You don't have to repeat that again.

2) Technology addiction is not common
90% of teens, and young adults today are addicted to technology, only the grey hair generation are a little different because there weren't used to so much technology during their time.

[s]3) Technology addiction is not a mental illness[/s]
Instead of saving accident victims during emergencies, people would rather be snapping pics to upload to social media. Which madness pass that.
Technology is worse than mental illness. Some people can press phone in the dream. First thing do before sleep and after waking up is to press their phones.

[s]4) ‘Tech addiction’ is not caused by technology[/s]
If Tech addiction is not caused by Technology, wetin come cause am?

5) Technology is not uniquely addictive
It is specially uniquely addictive sef

[s]6) Technology use does not lead to suicide[/s]
Lots of people fell to their death while taking selfie.
A boy some days ago took gun and started shooting other kids before killing himself

https://www.techvenge.com/2018/10/debunking-biggest-myths-tech.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by OkoyeA1(m): 7:28am On Oct 20, 2018
grin
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by qanda: 7:29am On Oct 20, 2018
There is a level of addiction associated with technology, and I don't think it's negative. As suggested in the write up, it can be managed.
Check out Q and A App on Playstore, let's see if you'd get addicted to reading well curated educational, career, scholarship and entrepreneurial resources.

Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 20, 2018
Hmm, just like addicted gamers, technology can also be addictive.
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 20, 2018
grin
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by FILEBE(m): 7:32am On Oct 20, 2018
Isn't addiction the excessive you of something? Some ladies are addicted to selfies . Even guys.
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by rhektor(m): 7:37am On Oct 20, 2018
Sweetcollins:
It's no doubt that science and technology havevthe answer to virtually everything.
But the theory of evolution still remains a myth

Theory of evolution is the greatest lie ever told
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by Splasshhh(f): 7:46am On Oct 20, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by tosyne2much(m): 7:47am On Oct 20, 2018
Technology addiction no be here oo
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by BRASH: 8:07am On Oct 20, 2018
The importance of technology to world development cannot be overemphasized. If your addiction to technology leads to the improvement of lives, then your addiction can be encouraged. However, any dysfunctional behaviour resulting from tech overuse, can also be corrected by the use of technology.
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by JimD(m): 8:24am On Oct 20, 2018
A technology addicted guy trying to debunk the technology addiction myth. Its an oxymoron.
Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by zeanslim(m): 2:02pm On Oct 20, 2018
Very interesting topic, but i think technology affects each individual differently, so it will be very hard to generalize. you can read

Common Most Believed Technology Myths And Misconceptions

You will be surprised by the popular myths and common misconceptions surrounding the use of technological gadgets which is still largely believed by a large number of people.

Re: Debunking The 6 Biggest Myths About ‘technology Addiction' by meobizy(f): 6:00am On Nov 28, 2018
No matter what angle it is viewed from, technology is always the best thing to ever happen to man. In the Stone Age man had technology too. It was called a pointy stick, it made taking down big game and predators easy.
Life is not all about social interactions, abeg. Things are now so easy one only needs a source of income to survive, no friends required.
The more I interact with my phone, iPad, High Definition television and the like, the smarter I become. The smarter I become, the better I can navigate my way through the modern world.

(1) (Reply)

SOLD Very Clean Uk Used Toshiba Satellite L300 Is For Sale SOLD / Glo Internet Modem Configuration / ✈✳✅ 9hours Battery Life Laptop ( 2016 Dell Latitude E5470 Core I5 )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.