Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,028 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Let's Talk About Warren Buffet - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Let's Talk About Warren Buffet (6517 Views)

Warren Buffet Buys Heinz For $28 Billion / Guys, Let's Talk Business / Warren Buffett Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:11pm On Apr 19, 2007
Just give me some time to finish this book and I will kick it off. (Bank work no allow me read at my normal pace grin grin)
Meanwhile Egoldman and others that have read books on him can specify the methods outlined in those books so that we can analyse them. Please concentrate on how he selects the companies he invests in , his outlook to investment and How he assesses their performance, etc.
I dont want us to talk about his personal life as that would not contribute to our objective.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by junegirl(f): 9:46am On Apr 23, 2007
@Frank: well said!
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by needeeg(m): 10:02am On Apr 23, 2007
Nice one Mr. F cool
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by ckenneths(m): 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2007
After reading 'Buffet, the making of an American capitalist' I still went and bought 'Buffetology' last week. Now I see this one as better than the one I read before. The man is a complete strategist. From the book I learnt that its not good changing strategies. Choose the strategy that will work for you and stick with it .

There is a question I will like to ask the people that read any of these books, Buffet liked to invest in companies that will be dominant leaders in the sectors they operate in. Which companies here can be likened to [these]? Any ideas?
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by junegirl(f): 4:04pm On Apr 23, 2007
@ckenneths: Dangote Sugar, Salt, and Dunlop in the tyre division (for example)
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by ckenneths(m): 5:54pm On Apr 23, 2007
@Junegirl, Dangote sugar agreed, Salt has so many competitors, except he will buy them all up. But for Dunlop, how can they compete with Michelin when they stage their comeback. y know brands matter a lot.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:54pm On Apr 23, 2007
ckenneths:

@Junegirl, Dangote sugar agreed, Salt has so many competitors, except he will buy them all up. But for Dunlop, how can they compete with Michelin when they stage their comeback. y know brands matter a lot.
Who says michellin is staging a comeback.
They have shut down their factory
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by egoldman(m): 3:37am On Apr 24, 2007
i wanted to say just that , they are not coming back .
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by junegirl(f): 9:07am On Apr 24, 2007
@Egoldman & Frank: what do you say about the salt, do you think dangote salt has serious competition?
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by ckenneths(m): 11:48am On Apr 24, 2007
Who said Michelin cannot stage a comeback after closing their factory? infact news from the grapevine says the same Dangote is even interested in buying Michelin operations in Nigeria.

Who can doubt that when Dangote has over 200 heavy duty trucks involved in moving cement and sugar etc all over the country.

If that happens, Dunlop do not stand a chance against Michelin.

On the salt issue, my mum tells me that she never asks the name a any particular producer before buying salt. Right now, people have not started demanding for National salts only.

What do you people say about Nestle foods, do you think they are Dominant enough in their area.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by junegirl(f): 1:47pm On Apr 24, 2007
With the way NAFDAC is canvassing the use of iodized salt, I think people are beginning to pay attention to the kind of salt they consume. And don't forget that the Annapurna (salt) is manufactired by Dangote.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by ckenneths(m): 11:17am On Apr 25, 2007
That's ma point exactly, almost all salts now have the NAFDAC eye drawn on them. Its going to take some time for one brand to be dominant.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by junegirl(f): 2:52pm On Apr 25, 2007
Ok, let's use you and I for example; how many brands of iodized salt can you readily name?
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by DisGuy: 5:03am On Apr 26, 2007
Im trying to  get a book or books - like introduction to investment even though i have a;ready started
My only concern is that the majority i have read in the local bookstore/library dont seem to go with the nigerian way
or maybe i jsut cant get the general message yet

Can anyone please recommend a short read that covers the fundamentals

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:47am On Apr 26, 2007
Buffett established Buffett Associates, Ltd., his first investment partnership, in 1956. It was financed by $105,000 from Buffett, the general partner, and $105,000 from seven limited partners consisting of Buffett's family and friends.

Buffett created several additional partnerships which were later consolidated as Buffett Partnership Limited. He ran the partnerships out of his bedroom, adhering closely to Graham's investment approach and compensation structure. These investments made in excess of 30% compounded annually between 1956 to 1969, in a market where 7% to 11% was the norm.

Buffett employed a three-pronged approach:

Generals: undervalued securities that possess margin of safety and meet expected return-to-risk characteristics[6]
Arbitrages: company events that are not related to broader market changes, such as mergers and acquisitions, liquidation, etc.
Controls: build sizeable holdings, ally with other shareholders or employ proxies to effect changes in companies
In 1962 Buffett Partnerships began purchasing shares of Berkshire Hathaway, a large manufacturing company in the declining textile industry that was selling for less than its working capital. In 1969, Buffett would dissolve all his partnerships to focus on running Berkshire Hathaway. At the time, Charlie Munger, Berkshire's current Vice Chairman, remarked that purchasing the company was a mistake, due to the failure of the textile industry. Berkshire, however, became one of the largest holding companies in the world, as Buffett redirected the company's excess cash to acquire private businesses and stocks of public companies. At the core of his strategy were insurance companies, due to the large cash reserves they must keep on hand to pay out future claims. Essentially, the insurer does not own the reserve, but may invest it and keep any proceeds.

Under Munger's influence, Buffett's investment approach moved away from a strict adherence to Graham's principles, and he began to focus on high-quality businesses with enduring competitive advantages. He described such advantages as a "moat" that kept rivals at a safe distance, as opposed to commodity businesses, which sell undifferentiated products and face direct competition. A classic example of a wide-moat company is Coca-Cola, because consumers are willing to pay more for a Coke than for a generic beverage with a similar taste. On the other hand, salt is considered a commodity product because consumers generally have no preferences for one brand of salt over another.

Investment in wide-moat businesses has become a hallmark of Berkshire Hathaway, particularly when buying whole companies rather than public stocks. As a result, it now owns a large number of businesses which are dominant players in their respective industries, specialize in various niche markets, or possess other unique characteristics to separate them from their competitors.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:49am On Apr 26, 2007
Investment approach
Buffett's philosophy on business investing is a modification of the value investing approach of his mentor Benjamin Graham. Graham bought companies because they were cheap compared to their intrinsic value. He was of the belief that as long as the market undervalued them relative to their intrinsic value he was making a solid investment. He reasoned that the market will eventually realize it has undervalued the company and will correct its course regardless of what type of business the company was in. In addition he believes that the business has to have solid economics behind it.

The following are some questions to determine what business to buy, based on the book Buffettology by Mary Buffett:

Is the company in an industry of good economics, i.e., not an industry competing on price points. Does the company have a consumer monopoly or brand name that commands loyalty? Can any company with an abundance of resources compete successfully with the company?
Are the Owner Earnings on an upward trend with good and consistent margins?
Is the debt-to-equity ratio low or is the earnings-to-debt ratio high, i.e. can the company repay debt even in years when earnings are lower than average?
Does the company have high and consistent Returns on Invested Capital (his version differs from the popular definition)?
Does the company retain earnings for growth?
The business should not have high maintenance cost of operations, low capital expenditure or investment cash outflow. This is not the same as investing to expand capacity.
Does the company reinvest earnings in good business opportunities? Does management have a good track record of profiting from these investments?
Is the company free to adjust prices for inflation?
Buffett's next concern would be when to buy. He does not hurry to invest in businesses with undiscernible value. He will wait for market corrections or downturns to buy solid businesses at reasonable prices, since stock-market downturns present buying opportunities.

He is known for being conservative when speculation is rampant in the market and being aggressive when others are fearing for their capital. This contrarian strategy is what led Buffett's company through the Internet boom and bust without significant damage, although critics have also noted that it may have led Berkshire to miss out on potential opportunities during the same period.

Then he asks at what price is the business a bargain, and his answer typically is when it provides a higher rate of compounded return relative to other available investment opportunities.

Buffett has coined the term "economic moat," preferring to acquire companies that possess sustainable competitive advantages over their competitors.[12]

Warren Buffett's letters to shareholders are a valuable source in understanding his investment style and outlook
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:57am On Apr 26, 2007
The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America Summary
The essays comprising this book, selected mostly from Warren Buffett’s letters to the shareholders of Berkshire, provide a guide to fundamental business analysis and an approach to wise investing. A central point that Buffett makes is that good investors, rather than focusing on the market, should identify good businesses, attempt to buy them at good prices, and hold them for the long term. Buffett has done just this in his management of Berkshire.

Disagreeing with the dogma popular in recent decades known as modern finance theory that holds that market prices efficiently express business values, Buffett instead argues that the market sets prices in a manic-depressive manner. A good investor learns to insulate himself from market emotions and to make a distinction between market price and intrinsic value. Such an investor will not bothered by such nonsense as a high “beta”—a measure of volatility academic theorists use as a risk factor and warning—but will understand that volatility provides investment opportunities and will use market drops to make good purchases. Eventually, the market will confirm his good sense.

As the CEO of Berkshire, originally a textile company, Buffett has succeeded hugely by purchasing all of or significant portions of good businesses and then left talented managers alone to operate them. His business-centered, rather than market-oriented, approach has involved supporting the development over time of these companies. Buffett eschews the popular notion in investing of diversification, contending rather that an investor should focus on what he can understand.

Furthermore, a good investor needs to make decisions by regarding a business opportunity on its own terms and in its specific environment. These principles, he demonstrates, were unfortunately forgotten in the mania of the 1980s and 1990s during which “junk” and zero-coupon bonds became popular investment modes and stock prices got out of sync with values, bringing financial disaster for many. The merger movements of these years especially damaged shareholders in the acquiring companies because the mergers often involved undervalued stock of these companies being exchanged for overvalued stock of the acquired companies.

For Buffett, acquisitions provide an example of but one of many ways in which the actions of managements have conflicted with shareholder interests. He demonstrates in these essays that as a CEO he sees an identity between his interests and those of Berkshire shareholders. While most company heads would wish their stock to be sold at the highest possible price, Buffett wants the shares of Berkshire to maintain a close relationship with their intrinsic values; in this way shareholders should receive profits that represent company results over the period of their holdings. Furthermore, under Buffett’s leadership Berkshire avoided stock splits, which he considers mainly as marketing tools.

In the last chapters of the book, Buffett explores both the value and limitations of corporate accounting and laments how pressures to report a profit have damaged accounting integrity. The focus by companies on their stock prices—antagonistic to Buffett’s approach—has produced target prices that have encouraged accounting manipulations. The argument of many executives that stock options should not be considered a cost represents another pressure tending to corrupt honest accounting. As a way to allow a more effective evaluation of a business’s finances, Buffett offers the concept of “look-through earnings” that will credit both retained and distributed earnings. Above all, these essays provide good examples showing there is no substitute for honest, clear, and full disclosure in business.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by hola2ng(m): 10:02am On Apr 26, 2007
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by hola2ng(m): 10:21am On Apr 26, 2007
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by hola2ng(m): 10:37am On Apr 26, 2007
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by dollyp1cute(f): 12:46pm On May 05, 2007
Buffett's criteria for "wonderful businesses" include, among others, the following:

* They have a good return on capital without a lot of debt.
* They are understandable.
* They see their profits in cash flow.
* They have strong franchises and, therefore, freedom to price.
* They don't take a genius to run.
* Their earnings are predictable.
* The management is owner-oriented.

He has given his CEO’s only two rules. Rule number 1: do not lose any of your share holder’s money. Rule number 2: Do not forget rule number 1.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 7:15am On May 06, 2007
So guys how many companies in Naija would Buffet invest in if he were to use this rules
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by enurayce: 7:28pm On May 06, 2007
@ Franiriri
If the comments of some of us will not let you itemise his methods as applicable to nigerianstheb please send them to my email so i cud benefit from them as i'm yet to get hold of his books.Also i will like to know how many companies in the NSE are currently undervalued
This also applies to everyother person with something to share.
Your response will be greatly apprecaited.

enurayce@yahoo.com
waiting to hearing from you all
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by dollyp1cute(f): 8:58pm On May 06, 2007
enurayce:

@ Franiriri
If the comments of some of us will not let you itemise his methods as applicable to nigerianstheb please send them to my email so i cud benefit from them as i'm yet to get hold of his books.Also i will like to know how many companies in the NSE are currently undervalued

I don't understand your comments, the thread is about Warren Buffet and finding out his ways of investing.

Not Frankiri sending you a list of companies to buy, you are using style to ask the same question you asked under another thread about companies that will bring you 300%-500% (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-31554.768.html).

It seems you are looking for a short cut or awoof and have nothing to contribute, this is not the forumn for you.
You said you have not been able to get hold of Warren Buffet's book, where have you searched.
If you want to be an investor get ready to invest in your own self and get knowledge not soliciting like this angry angry angry
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:51am On May 07, 2007
dollyp1cute:

I don't understand your comments, the thread is about Warren Buffet and finding out his ways of investing.

Not Frankiri sending you a list of companies to buy, you are using style to ask the same question you asked under another thread about companies that will bring you 300%-500% (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-31554.768.html).

It seems you are looking for a short cut or awoof and have nothing to contribute, this is not the forumn for you.
You said you have not been able to get hold of Warren Buffet's book, where have you searched.
If you want to be an investor get ready to invest in your own self and get knowledge not soliciting like this angry angry angry

well put
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by dollyp1cute(f): 12:19pm On May 07, 2007
Thanks Frankriri.

Back to the assignment, it will take time should get back to you.

Can you explain what cashflow means?
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 5:19pm On May 07, 2007
dollyp1cute:

Thanks Frankriri.

Can you explain what cashflow means?

Cashflow means the infow and outlow of cash from a business. All cash outfows should ultimately be represented by inflows into the business from sales.
Profit does not translate to cash flow when some of the sales that generated that profit were for credit, ie the customers did not pay cash, as long as those debts remain uncollected the reported profit figure will be less than the corresponding cash flow.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 11:43pm On May 16, 2007
One company that I can say he would invest in is Damgote Sugar.
I would use the checklist above to butress my point
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 12:03am On May 17, 2007
frankiriri:

Investment approach

The following are some questions to determine what business to buy, based on the book Buffettology by Mary Buffett:

Is the company in an industry of good economics, i.e., not an industry competing on price points. Does the company have a consumer monopoly or brand name that commands loyalty? Can any company with an abundance of resources compete successfully with the company?
Are the Owner Earnings on an upward trend with good and consistent margins?
Is the debt-to-equity ratio low or is the earnings-to-debt ratio high, i.e. can the company repay debt even in years when earnings are lower than average?
Does the company have high and consistent Returns on Invested Capital (his version differs from the popular definition)?
Does the company retain earnings for growth?
The business should not have high maintenance cost of operations, low capital expenditure or investment cash outflow. This is not the same as investing to expand capacity.
Does the company reinvest earnings in good business opportunities? Does management have a good track record of profiting from these investments?
Is the company free to adjust prices for inflation?
Buffett's next concern would be when to buy. He does not hurry to invest in businesses with undiscernible value. He will wait for market corrections or downturns to buy solid businesses at reasonable prices, since stock-market downturns present buying opportunities.

He is known for being conservative when speculation is rampant in the market and being aggressive when others are fearing for their capital. This contrarian strategy is what led Buffett's company through the Internet boom and bust without significant damage, although critics have also noted that it may have led Berkshire to miss out on potential opportunities during the same period.

Then he asks at what price is the business a bargain, and his answer typically is when it provides a higher rate of compounded return relative to other available investment opportunities.

Buffett has coined the term "economic moat," preferring to acquire companies that possess sustainable competitive advantages over their competitors.[12]

Warren Buffett's letters to shareholders are a valuable source in understanding his investment style and outlook

On Question:
1. Dangote Sugar is an example of what Buffet would call a consumer monopoly. It is a monopolist in the Sugar market and enjoys good business economics given its status as a pioneer company and the tax benefits associated with it
2. The earnings are on an upward trend even though the company has started making provision for tax.
3. the company is free to adjust prices for inflation.
4. The demand for sugar is predictable and therefore his earnings are predictable
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by dollyp1cute(f): 10:06am On May 17, 2007
@ Frank Warren does invest in consumer market (see link below) so i can understand your dangote sugar pick.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=stocksNews&storyid=2007-05-17T071050Z_01_NOA724893_RTRUKOC_0_BUFFETT-HEALTHCARE.xml&src=nl_ukdailyinvestor

Another stock that comes to my mind then is Nestle and Flour mills. Now i have not looked closely at them yet and compare the with Warren's strategy but they "sound" like something he will put his money in. I hope to get sometime to do the comparison.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by frankiriri(m): 6:21pm On Jun 22, 2007
dollyp1cute:

@ Frank Warren does invest in consumer market (see link below) so i can understand your dangote sugar pick.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=stocksNews&storyid=2007-05-17T071050Z_01_NOA724893_RTRUKOC_0_BUFFETT-HEALTHCARE.xml&src=nl_ukdailyinvestor

Another stock that comes to my mind then is Nestle and Flour mills. Now i have not looked closely at them yet and compare the with Warren's strategy but they "sound" like something he will put his money in. I hope to get sometime to do the comparison.

I think both companies have what Warren would consider Consumer Monopoly. Their products are definitely household brand names which any retailer would have to carry fo them to remain in business. With the prosposed entry by Obajana cement into the market a certain segment of flour mills business , albeit a very lucrative one,will be further threatened.
Re: Let's Talk About Warren Buffet by hola2ng(m): 10:40am On Jul 25, 2007

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Elumelu Wins Africa Investor ‘person Of The Year’ Award In New York / How May I Use My Visa Card To Buy Laptop Online / Help! Problem Confirming Access Visa Card Paypal Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.