Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,613 members, 7,827,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Alloy Wheels Leak Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Alloy Wheels Leak Issues (1726 Views)

My Car Alloy Rims Before And After Pimping / The Russian-Made 8 Wheels Shaman All-Terrain Vehicle: The Biggest SUV Ever / Saudi Style, Photos Shows Arab Men Driving Their Suvs On Just Two Wheels. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 10:06am On Oct 21, 2018
Has anyone ever heard of this problem.

I took my car to tyre place and they have told me the reason my tyres keep going down is because when they remove the tyre from the wheel there is a build up of dust/corrosion which is causing the wheel to go down. They cleaned this up and they fitted the same wheel back on the tyre. The wheel/tyre has been fine for weeks and this has started again.

Does anyone know a place I could get this repaired as I dont want to pay every few weeks and I dont want to get rid of the alloy wheels as they are expensive chrome alloys.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 10:07am On Oct 21, 2018
Cc
Nurey valarinz obekediamondfuto heavenlybang radautoworks Gazzuzz kingreign Philadelphia
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by nurey(m): 10:46am On Oct 21, 2018
I think you mean steel wheels those ordinary ones they corrode and cause that.
never seen alloy corroding though.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 10:54am On Oct 21, 2018
nurey:
I think you mean steel wheels those ordinary ones they corrode and cause that.

never seen alloy corroding though.
Alloy sir the interior surface...I mean the rim beads corrosion
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by nurey(m): 11:00am On Oct 21, 2018
CityNGR:

Alloy sir the interior surface...I mean the rim beads corrosion

okay why don't you give a panel beater to help sand paper the surface and then re coat it to protect it from corrosion.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 11:08am On Oct 21, 2018
nurey:

okay why don't you give a panel beater to help sand paper the surface and then re coat it to protect it from corrosion.
I have. But no appropriate recoating materials. Hence I might have to make do with a tire bead sealant
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:18am On Oct 21, 2018
is the alloy is leaking simple

find the leak and fix it

usually it would be a crack find it, get it welded

your problem would be solved
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 11:25am On Oct 21, 2018
ZIMDRILL:
is the alloy is leaking simple

find the leak and fix it

usually it would be a crack find it, get it welded

your problem would be solved
I wish it was that simple. It's the corrosion at the tire beads... Caused by the local vulcaniser's acidic eba sealant....
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2018
CityNGR:

I wish it was that simple. It's the corrosion at the tire beads... Caused by the local vulcaniser's acidic eba sealant....

any alloy welder would fix it
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

any alloy welder would fix it
Ok I'll try again. But I doubt if I can get such for my kind of chrome wheels

Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by thebigkendo(m): 12:39pm On Oct 21, 2018
CityNGR:

I use to wonder if it Eba, fufu or amala
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 12:40pm On Oct 21, 2018
thebigkendo:

I use to wonder if it Eba, fufu or amala
Only eba and fufu are used!!
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by Philadelphia: 12:48pm On Oct 21, 2018
I suspect that there's a crack on your wheel (alloy). If you check and see that there's no crack, then be sure that the valve outlet on the wheel is okay.
You can also check your wheel size and make sure it corresponds to your tyre size.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 12:52pm On Oct 21, 2018
Philadelphia:
I suspect that there's a crack on your wheel (alloy). If you check and see that there's no crack, then be sure that the valve outlet on the wheel is okay.
You can also check your wheel size and make sure it corresponds to your tyre size.
No crack. It leaks at the edges. And where it corroded inside
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:55pm On Oct 21, 2018
Philadelphia:

no crack, the alloy is rusting.

only solution is to sandpaper and recoat with an anti corrosive solution.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by Philadelphia: 12:56pm On Oct 21, 2018
CityNGR:

No crack. It leaks at the edges. And where it corroded inside

I'd advice that you get a new rim. It means there are cracks at the edges. You have a weak rim and this can give way on the highway especially if you enter a pothole.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 1:28pm On Oct 21, 2018
Philadelphia:

I'd advice that you get a new rim. It means there are cracks at the edges. You have a weak rim and this can give way on the highway especially if you enter a pothole.
No. No cracks but corrosion of the coatings
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by radautoworks: 12:27am On Oct 22, 2018
You need to replace rim. Safety hazard.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:48am On Oct 22, 2018
CityNGR:

No. No cracks but corrosion of the coatings

then it doesnt make sense if there no crack

you say it corrosion on the coating so simple sandpaper the corrosion until the corrosion is off

i thought that gum they put onthe edge is strong enough to hold air even on top of rusted abit area

so you are saying the gum cant hold pressure over the corrosion area though there is no crack on that area ?
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 5:50am On Oct 22, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

then it doesnt make sense if there no crack

you say it corrosion on the coating so simple sandpaper the corrosion until the corrosion is off

i thought that gum they put onthe edge is strong enough to hold air even on top of rusted abit area

so you are saying the gum cant hold pressure over the corrosion area though there is no crack on that area ?
Just got access to the gum through our dearest radautoworks. In Nigeria we use eba. Or do your vulcanisers use gum?
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 5:50am On Oct 22, 2018
radautoworks:
You need to replace rim. Safety hazard.

Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:41am On Oct 22, 2018
CityNGR:

Ok I'll try again. But I doubt if I can get such for my kind of chrome wheels

now i see

your looks chrome which mean it was chrome coated therefore the coat is chiping away

i guess its that dark i see
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 6:47am On Oct 22, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

now i see

your looks chrome which mean it was chrome coated therefore the coat is chiping away

i guess its that dark i see
Yes
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:00am On Oct 22, 2018
CityNGR:

Yes

well my general knowledge you should be able to smooth that place by sanding so that the gum would seat and spread smoothly

someone mentioned the gum used in nigeria, am none nigeria i got no clue what you use there but from an assumption its local product which might not be the best for such problem of yours
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 7:03am On Oct 22, 2018
ZIMDRILL:

well my general knowledge you should be able to smooth that place by sanding so that the gum would seat and spread smoothly

someone mentioned the gum used in nigeria, am now nigeria i got no clue what you use there but from an assumption its local product which might not be the best for such problem of yours
I can do that. In fact I have done that. But I need to stop the corrosion or else the leak will be recurring. Hence the miracle painting of the rim interiors after smoothening.... and application of gums on the bead.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by radautoworks: 4:43pm On Oct 22, 2018
CityNGR:

Don't worry, I don't sell rims grin with the commission corrosion he's describing I don't think your solution is long term but it's worth a shot as it's cheaper. Structural integrity of the rim is suspect.
Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by CityNGR: 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2018
radautoworks:

Don't worry, I don't sell rims grin with the commission he's describing I don't think your solution is long term but it's worth a shot as it's cheaper. Structural integrity of the rim is suspect.

Re: Alloy Wheels Leak Issues by radautoworks: 4:52pm On Oct 22, 2018
CityNGR:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ROFL

(1) (Reply)

Overheating Problems, Help! / Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! / National Vehicle Identification System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.