Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,652 members, 7,820,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Only For People Who Want To Improve Their Vocabulary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Only For People Who Want To Improve Their Vocabulary (481 Views)

What Are Some Must Read Books For People In Their 20s? / Pictures Only People Who Attended Primary School In Nigeria Will Understand / 16 Idioms Worth Investing Into Your Vocabulary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Only For People Who Want To Improve Their Vocabulary by Friasug: 4:28am On Oct 22, 2018
Is it by force to speak good English? I know not

Below is a long list of stuff we either use everyday or come in contact with once in a while. Sorry I didn't count 'm but it may not be up to 50. Forgive my ...

Petrichor: The way it smells outside after rain.

Wamble: Stomach rumbling.

Aglet: The plastic coating on a shoelace.

Vagitus: The cry of a newborn baby.

Chanking: spat-out food.

Peen: The side opposite the hammer's striking side.

Tines: The prongs on a fork.

Souffle cup: A ketchup/condiment cup.

Natiform: Something that resembles a butt.

Phosphenes: The lights you see when you close your eyes and press your hands to them.

Nurdle: A tiny dab of toothpaste.

Box tent: The table in the middle of a pizza box.

Cornicione: The outer part of the crust on a pizza.

Barm: The foam on a beer.

Overmorrow: The day after tomorrow.

Ferrule: The metal part at the end of a pencil.

Punt: The bottom of a wine bottle.

Keeper: The loop on a belt that keeps the end in place after it has passed through the buckle.

It has not finished, see more here o...>>>https://www.infomaza.com/things-you-never-knew-had-official-names
Re: Only For People Who Want To Improve Their Vocabulary by legwa10(m): 7:33am On Oct 22, 2018
another research topic
Re: Only For People Who Want To Improve Their Vocabulary by meobizy(f): 9:29am On Oct 22, 2018
I wonder how whites are able to name almost everything.
I thought our local languages stopped evolving after colonization [the forced adoption of the white man’s language] but funny enough a lot of modern things have names in mine. If they don’t have a mainstream name then the locals come up with a logical description.

(1) (Reply)

2018/2019 First Semester Calendar Of Akwa Ibom State University / Impact Of N-power Programme On Youth Empowerment In Nigeria / ASUU Vows To Continue With Strike [latest News On ASUU Strike]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.