Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,132 members, 7,856,521 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 09:34 PM

WWE Star Roman Reigns Gives Up Title Due To Leukemia - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / WWE Star Roman Reigns Gives Up Title Due To Leukemia (510 Views)

WWE Star, Omos Visits Family In Lagos 15 Years After Travelling / Roman Reigns Attacked By Sheamus, Cesaro As The Miz Retains IC Title / WWE No Mercy 2017 Results: Roman Reigns Vs John Cena (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

WWE Star Roman Reigns Gives Up Title Due To Leukemia by axcer: 10:41am On Oct 23, 2018
WWE star Roman Reigns has announced in a shocking statement Monday night that his real-life battle with leukemia will force him to step away from the ring effective immediately.

The 33-year-old Reigns, real name is Joe Anoa’i, opened Monday’s episode of Raw with the reveal that was anything but a storyline or predetermined moment.

WWE’s universal champion said he was originally diagnosed back in 2008 at age 22. Though he quickly went into remission, he has been fighting the disease since.

Roman Reigns apologized to the Providence, Rhode Island, crowd for not being the workhorse and fighting champion his character aimed to be. He also announced he will relinquish the title effective immediately.

“That’s all lies and it’s a lie because the reality is my name is Joe and I’ve been living with leukemia for 11 years and unfortunately it’s back,” Anoa’i said.

“Because the leukemia is back, I can’t fulfill my role. I can’t be that fighting champion and I’m going to have to relinquish the universal championship. I’m not going to lie, I’ll take every prayer you can send my way but I’m not looking for sympathy, I’m not looking for you to feel bad for me because I have faith.”

“When I was 22 years old I was diagnosed with this. And very quickly I was able to put it in remission.

“But I’m not going to lie, that was the hardest time of my life. I didn’t have a job, I didn’t have any money, I didn’t have a home and I had a baby on the way and football was done with me.

“But do you want to know who gave me a chance – the team that gave me a chance was the WWE.

“And when I finally made it to the main roster, I was on the road and they put me in front of you, the WWE Universe, and to be honest you all have made my dreams come true.

News via Gistmore - http://gistmore.com/wwe-star-roman-reigns-gives-title-due-leukemia

Lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique

Re: WWE Star Roman Reigns Gives Up Title Due To Leukemia by axcer: 10:42am On Oct 23, 2018

Re: WWE Star Roman Reigns Gives Up Title Due To Leukemia by Ehiscotch(m): 11:03am On Oct 23, 2018
WWE deserves accolades for not turning him down and giving him a chance to live his dream.

This is really sad news because I have a lot of friends who love Roman Reigns and it is painful to see him leave.
Even if he used to polarize the WWE fans - many of them seemed not to like him winning titles - I am sure they are all saddened by this development.

I wish him well and a long healthy life.

(1) (Reply)

How Uefa's Rule Affected Arsenal & Chelsea In The Europa League This Season / Super Falcons Set New Record, Win 9th AWCON Title / Ronaldo Set Not To Attend This Year's Ballon D'or Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.