Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,547 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) (51190 Views)

World Longest Suspension Bridge Commissioned In Turkey. / Dinka, South Sudan: The Tallest People In Africa (Photos) / Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by pamibayo: 7:22pm On Oct 25, 2018
That's a good development. I will love to revisit the source of Nile anytime I visit again.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by nuelyoyo(m): 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2018
If this bridge was built in Nigeria, it would have cost $500m.

Cc Awelekiti
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by kunkelhanspeter(m): 7:25pm On Oct 25, 2018
When will African engineers will start building such project ?
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2018
chloride6:
Fashola don teach this guys sha grin grin grin

Expect this landmark in every subsequent ugandan movie ...

Uganda girls finally have a place to jog....

Watch all former jogging routes become deserted in the coming weeks...

Time to call my friend Adroa to catch us fresh fish at the bridge..

grin grin grin grin
so ugandan babes love keeping fit
i love that
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 25, 2018
nuelyoyo:

Cc Awelekiti
lol. That's even too small. Maybe it would have cost $1b
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by comodo: 7:40pm On Oct 25, 2018
autojosh:

The 5th longest suspension bridge in Africa – has recently been unveiled in Uganda. President Yoweri Museveni commissioned the new bridge on Wednesday.

The bridge named the “New Nile Bridge” spans 525m. It is located in the town of Jinja and stretches across the source of the River Nile.

The bridge is the second of its kind in East Africa after Tanzania’s Kigamboni Bridge which spans 680m. It is also the fifth longest cable-stayed bridge in Africa.

The bridge, which cost $112million, was funded by the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

The government of Japan financed 80% as a loan of US$100 million at an annual interest rate of 0.01%, repayable in 10 years but extendable to 40 years.

According to the Uganda President, the bridge was designed to last for 120 years.

The beautifully engineered and magnificent structure is set to replace the old Nalubaale Bridge, which was constructed by the British in 1954.

https://autojosh.com/uganda-unveils-the-5th-longest-suspension-bridge-in-africa-photos/

They better not try this in Naija cos they will forget that the cables. Bearings etc are maintained. The thing go just rust and give way.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Diso60090(m): 8:05pm On Oct 25, 2018
Hoodbilonia:
pedestrian bridge.
such cant happen in naija
recharge card
recharge card
pure water
buy your bible here for only two hundred naira
gala gala
g.l and fake gold necklace sellers
smoke sellers
stolen phones and much more wud be sold on that bridge if na naija e dey
all manner of evil naija version
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Gangster1ms: 8:10pm On Oct 25, 2018
beetown:
When I see Uganda, the only thing that comes to mind is Makequckcash...
grin grin
My brothers in the shadow beer parlor will understand better
grin
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Afonja007: 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2018
chloride6:

grin grin grin grin
the way you people think still amaze me so without fashola the best governor in world Ugandans will not build suspension bridge? How much did fashola borrowed them for the bridge?did he also sent Julius Berger to them?in amenities Nigeria still far we enjoy nothing in Nigeria apart from New tecno or new infinix phones
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Rossikki: 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2018
emmie14:

What do you mean by ordinary? Uganda got their sovereignty 9th October, 1962. Educational system is better organized without strike and related interruption as in Nigeria. The country is not rich but the people are happy with themselves. Crime is less as movements in the town last's for 24hrs.

Oh sure..Uganda is heaven on earth, and Nigeria is hell.

You Nigerians and your inferiority complex. I bet you, with your fat big mouth, you could not live for one week in Uganda. Stupid, self hating people. Ask yourselves how many roads there are in Uganda? How many cities? Do you know I have a Ugandan friend who still can't believe we visit our villages for christmas in Nigeria? He said in Uganda, the villages are desolate, with zero facilities, no markets, nothing. Forget about electricity. Maybe a few aid trucks from UNICEF to feed the old people there. Just like those poor villages you see on CNN. He said once you manage to leave your village in Uganda, it's goodbye for ever. Nobody goes back, or builds their homes there etc. Roads don't even lead to the villages. You park somewhere and use a footpath.

By contrast, in Nigerian villages these days you have banks, electricity, multiple markets and shops filled with goods from all over the world. Even hotels. Expressways lead there. Until you people start to appreciate what you have in Nigeria, you will never make progress. Useless set of self loathing fools. Uganda is now ''better than Nigeria'', because you saw a bridge. Stupid goats.

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by osemmie: 8:28pm On Oct 25, 2018
Watin dey pain me pass be say our own oga no go borrow money build dis kind tin for naija only to borrow take 'fight' corruption. Mtchewwww
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by emmie14: 8:43pm On Oct 25, 2018
Rossikki:

Oh sure..Uganda is heaven on earth, and Nigeria is hell.

You Nigerians and your inferiority complex. I bet you, with your fat big mouth, you could not live for one week in Uganda. Stupid, self hating people. Ask yourselves how many roads there are in Uganda? How many cities? Do you know I have a Ugandan friend who still can't believe we visit our villages for christmas in Nigeria. He said in Uganda, the villages are desolate, with zero facilities, no markets, nothing. Maybe afew aid trucks from UNICEF to feed the old people there. Just like those poor villages you see on CNN. He said once you manage to leave your village in Uganda, it's goodbye for ever. Nobody goes back, or builds their homes there etc. In Nigerian villages these days you have banks, electricity, multiple markets and shops filled with goods from all over the world. Until you people start to appreciate what you have in Nigeria, you will never make progress.
Your friend told you. I have spent straight 6months in Uganda working on Nestle project. The poor understanding existing in your generation didn't allow to balance your coconut dead brains from realities & emphasis. I compared the interruptions in Nigeria school system and security. Ugandan independence, 9th October,1962. I didn't mention infrastructures. While not address the subject matter? Although Nigeria is also dead in infrastructure but not to compare with Uganda.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by CocoaOla: 8:46pm On Oct 25, 2018
Just $112 million dollars Nigeria government you see your life your juniors can manage better than you. You build small crose over with billions of dollars and still ask us to pay for toll tollgate fear God!
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by CocoaOla: 8:53pm On Oct 25, 2018
nuelyoyo:

Cc Awelekiti

And they will put tollgate

1000 per head chai Nigeria government issa scam

1 Like

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Rossikki: 8:59pm On Oct 25, 2018
emmie14:

Your friend told you. I have spent straight 6months in Uganda working on Nestle project.

He still knows more than you. He was born and bred there. You were just a visitor who led a pampered life there available to only a few Ugandans. Being a dumb Nigerian with inferiority complex, you automatically assumed the good life you led there was the norm for all Ugandans, making it ''better than Nigeria''. Dumbo.

The poor understanding existing in your generation didn't allow to balance your coconut dead brains from realities & emphasis. I compared the interruptions in Nigeria school system and security. Ugandan independence, 9th October,1962. I didn't mention infrastructures. While not address the subject matter? Although Nigeria is also dead in infrastructure but not to compare with Uganda.

Shut your stupid dumb mouth. How many universities are there in Uganda, with your 'better organized'' GARBAGE? When you have only one or two universities built for the tiny elite minority, why won't it be organised? When you have only one city in the entire country, why won't it be organised? Why won't it be 'safe'? Where else would the police go, but Kampala? You went to live a pampered life there for six months working for Nestle. How many Ugandans could live that life you led there? Keep hating yourselves and your country. Is that not why outsiders treat you people like trash, when they know you are steeped in inferiority complex and self loathing? When you hate yourselves and your country, and think everyone is better than you, why would anyone treat you with respect? Mumu people. Abeg fck off my face jare. Worthless.

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by CocoaOla: 9:27pm On Oct 25, 2018
Rossikki:

He still knows more than you. He was born and bred there. You were just a visitor who led a pampered life there available to only a few Ugandans. Being a dumb Nigerian with inferiority complex, you automatically assumed the good life you led there was the norm for all Ugandans, making it ''better than Nigeria''. Dumbo.

Oga defend Nigeria with one good projects not over priced tollgate roads ooo

Shut your stupid dumb mouth. How many universities are there in Uganda, with your 'better organized'' GARBAGE? When you have only one or two universities built for the tiny elite minority, why won't it be organised? When you have only one city in the entire country, why won't it be organised? Why won't it be 'safe'? Where else would the police go, but Kampala? You went to live a pampered life there for six months working for Nestle. How many Ugandans could live that life you led there? Peabrain. Keep hating yourselves and your country. Is that not why outsiders treat you people like trash, when they know you are steeped in inferiority complex and self loathing? When you hate yourselves and your country, and think everyone is better than you, why would anyone treat you with respect? Mumu people. Abeg fck off my face jare. Worthless.
Oga Defend Nigeria with one good projects not the one with tollgate ooo passing with pains
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by chloride6: 9:43pm On Oct 25, 2018
Afonja007:
the way you people think still amaze me so without fashola the best governor in world Ugandans will not build suspension bridge? How much did fashola borrowed them for the bridge?did he also sent Julius Berger to them?in amenities Nigeria still far we enjoy nothing in Nigeria apart from New tecno or new infinix phones

Read my comment then modify your comment
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by grandstar(m): 10:47pm On Oct 25, 2018
godfatherx:
Good development, driving to Kalangala was very difficult, it has to be by ferry, once you miss it you would have to wait for over 2 hours before you can cross, if you miss the last trip of the day, then you have to wait till the next day.

How's Uganda like?
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by godfatherx: 11:06pm On Oct 25, 2018
grandstar:

How's Uganda like?
Not bad, the places I visited have linear settlements, they have good roads though, the capital Kampala is very beautiful, with alert security at all hotels due to the activities of Islamic terrorist groups. The expat population (Indians and Chinese) is very high, most of them in Agro-allied.
Night life too is superb, dominated by foreigners.
Poverty rate is high though, but for foreign investments in Agriculture which employs most of the villagers. I worked briefly with a tea, sugar and tobacco plantation there.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 26, 2018
Hezzyluv:
vote Atiku n get dis kind bridge for 9ja within four years.
The second longest suspension bridge is in Nigeria already, bridge is not our problem.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by chiedozie198100: 12:18am On Oct 26, 2018
chloride6:

grin grin grin grin

And enough "suiciding" for the bridge
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by grandstar(m): 1:25am On Oct 26, 2018
godfatherx:

Not bad, the places I visited have linear settlements, they have good roads though, the capital Kampala is very beautiful, with alert security at all hotels due to the activities of Islamic terrorist groups. The expat population (Indians and Chinese) is very high, most of them in Agro-allied.
Night life too is superb, dominated by foreigners.
Poverty rate is high though, but for foreign investments in Agriculture which employs most of the villagers. I worked briefly with a tea, sugar and tobacco plantation there.

Thanks for your response

Is there any business you think will be lucrative there?
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by godfatherx: 2:09am On Oct 26, 2018
grandstar:

Thanks for your response

Is there any business you think will be lucrative there?

Very large scale agriculture.
Uganda is a landlocked country, surrounded by war torn countries like South Sudan, DR Congo, Rwanda and co. The dictator Museveni has good grips of the nation. Business only thrive when his close circle are part of it. And since export of agro product to neighbouring countries is the major source of Forex, that's the only business foreigners do.
They supply tobacco, tea, sugar, vegatable oil, soap etc even to Kenya &Tanzania & war ravaged countries around them

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by yinkarh187(m): 6:53am On Oct 26, 2018
SarkinYarki:

There is no Suspension Bridge in Nigeria so get your facts right, the Lekki IKOYI link bridge is not a suspension bridge but a cable stay bridge and they are two different things and the suspension bridge is more complex and difficult to build
this one is also a cable-stayed bridge nw, or am I not seeing clearly?.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by ajl: 7:13am On Oct 26, 2018
yeyerolling:
This is a suspension bridge not the scam in lekki ikoyi. Cant see a toll gate der too. Shame on nigeria

How is it a scam? It's actually cheaper than the one in Uganda which is just 525 metres at a cost of $125 million. While Lekki cabke-stayed bridge spans 1.36 kilometres and it was built at the cost of N25 Billion, which turn out to be just $183.5 million using 2013 exchange rate of N158 for $1. The type and purpose of each bridge is different. The Lekki bridge is not the only option to link Ikoyi. Paying a toll to use it is understandable.

1 Like

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by grandstar(m): 7:17am On Oct 26, 2018
godfatherx:

Very large scale agriculture.
Uganda is a landlocked country, surrounded by war torn countries like South Sudan, DR Congo, Rwanda and co. The dictator Museveni has good grips of the nation. Business only thrive when his close circle are part of it. And since export of agro product to neighbouring countries is the major source of Forex, that's the only business foreigners do.
They supply tobacco, tea, sugar, vegatable oil, soap etc even to Kenya &Tanzania & war ravaged countries around them

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by BetterWorld100: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2018
We have an equipped office space to lease out, off Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja for N1.6million. Any successful referral will be rewarded. For more info. call 08020889369
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by ACE1010: 9:41am On Oct 26, 2018
Hezzyluv:
vote Atiku n get dis kind bridge for 9ja within four years.

Rubbish!!! Why didn't he constructed such when he was vice president??

1 Like

Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by JayMarx: 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2018
Biingoo:
Wow nice development. I'll be in Kampala by this time next month
I'm also moving to Kampala soonest.
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by Biingoo: 6:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
JayMarx:

I'm also moving to Kampala soonest.
Moving? Asin you're relocating to Uganda??
Re: Uganda Unveils The 5th Longest Suspension Bridge In Africa (PHOTOS) by JayMarx: 6:25pm On Oct 26, 2018
Biingoo:
Moving? Asin you're relocating to Uganda??
Yes...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Accident On Third Mainland Bridge, Bus Tumbles (PHOTOS) / Folajimi Olubunmi-Adewole Dies Trying To Save Woman From River At London Bridge / Dubai Denies Nigerians Under 40 Tourist Visas - Abike Dabiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.