Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing (1198 Views)

The Weeknd Illustration - AFTER HOURS Album - Best Digital Art Of The Year / THOR Illustration By Akilo Joseph / Making Good Illustration Outlines On Photoshop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 7:38am On Oct 26, 2018
Hi people.

I know there are lots of people who might be struggling with illustration largely due to lack of key equipments.

I have heard artists argue that without stylus pen or Wacom tablet one cannot make a good illustration.

Though the Wacom tablet makes it easier and faster, you can still achieve a good illustration using just your "MOUSE" .... Unbelievable but true.

I will give an example on how it can be achieved using my work.

Interested in personal tutorials?

WhatsApp or call; 07031585509
Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 7:38am On Oct 26, 2018
A. The first step is to make your drawing on paper. You could draw just a pencil outline or elaborate with pen.

Scan your work into the system or use a good camera to snap and upload.

1 Like

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 7:39am On Oct 26, 2018
B. Use a good tracing software like coreldraw, illustrator, or Photoshop. I used Photoshop to achieve this.

In Photoshop open the scanned picture. Create an empty layer above for the outlines you are about to create.

Use the pen tool to trace the outlines on the drawing.
Right click and select stroke path, then check "pen pressure" on the dialogue box that follows...

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 7:40am On Oct 26, 2018
C. Create a colour layer or group for the colours to follow. Let it be under the outline layer.

Make sure the outline are well connected to prevent colours from spilling into unwanted areas.

At this point select the target space on the outline layer and fill in the desired colours gradually. Start with flat colours.

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 7:40am On Oct 26, 2018
D. The last step is converting the flat colours into depth to achieve realism.

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 26, 2018
wow...nice one fam, but can coreldraw outline trace be used?

1 Like

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 10:14am On Oct 26, 2018
splenzard:
wow...nice one fam, but can coreldraw outline trace be used?

Thank you bro..
Corel can be used as well, but before then you need to do a thorough outlining of the drawing on paper and scan in HD so that when you trace on Corel it will come out fine...

In addition to that, you can take the scanned work to Photoshop, use "level" editing tool to increase the contrast. This will make the lines darker and the white background lighter. Subsequently, tracing will come out much better.
Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by LMandela(m): 1:24am On Oct 28, 2018
yuncka:
D. The last step is converting the flat colours into depth to achieve realism.

Nice work! I like the way you explained it.

By the way, how do I achieve the "flat colors - depth - realistic image"?

1 Like

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by yuncka: 9:48am On Oct 28, 2018
LMandela:

Nice work! I like the way you explained it.

By the way, how do I achieve the "flat colors - depth - realistic image"?

Thanks brother.

To achieve the flat colours, you need to create an empty layer below the drawing's outline.

Now, with the outline layer selected, click on the area you want to fill with colour using magic wand tool. For instance the Jean. Then select the empty layer created under the outline and fill in with desired colour using paint bucket.
You will have to repeat the process for each different colour you need to fill and ensure to place all colours on different layers still under the outline layer.. doing this will help when you start the detailing process...

My own style of detailing is subtraction method where you deleted some part of a colour to reveal other colours. For instance if I want to detail the Jean, I will duplicate the layer for the Jean's colour and make the duplicate copy on top darker. Then use your eraser tool to brush over it to reveal the lighter one under...

You could still watch some YouTube videos on colouring using Photoshop. But I hope my small explanation helps..

1 Like

Re: From Paper To PC, Illustration Work Finishing by LMandela(m): 11:42pm On Oct 28, 2018
yuncka:

Thanks brother.

To achieve the flat colours, you need to create an empty layer below the drawing's outline.

Now, with the outline layer selected, click on the area you want to fill with colour using magic wand tool. For instance the Jean. Then select the empty layer created under the outline and fill in with desired colour using paint bucket.
You will have to repeat the process for each different colour you need to fill and ensure to place all colours on different layers still under the outline layer.. doing this will help when you start the detailing process...

My own style of detailing is subtraction method where you deleted some part of a colour to reveal other colours. For instance if I want to detail the Jean, I will duplicate the layer for the Jean's colour and make the duplicate copy on top darker. Then use your eraser tool to brush over it to reveal the lighter one under...

You could still watch some YouTube videos on colouring using Photoshop. But I hope my small explanation helps..

Thanks alot man.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Critics / Graphics Designer Needed Urgently / Paint's Ghost Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.