Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola (683 Views)

Supreme Court Judgement: We’ve Accepted Defeat – Matawalle’s Camp / Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola / Ambode Accepted Defeat To Avert Impeachment - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Udantu: 5:10pm On Oct 26, 2018
The Minister for Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has said former President Goodluck Johnathan only conceded defeat after the 2015 elections because he knew the nation would witness economic recession soon.

Mr Jonathan, before the announcement of the final results, in a move that shocked many political pundits, conceded defeat to the current president, Muhamadu Buhari, after a keenly contested polls.

That was the first time an incumbent would be losing the top seat (and conceding victory) to an opposition party in Nigeria.

Mr Jonathan has been celebrated globally for his action, which many believe saved the country from political turmoil.

The economy plunged into recession shortly after in 2015. The recession raged in 2016 and through late 2017 when the nation then emerged from it.

However, Mr Fashola, a former governor of Lagos State, said on Thursday at a South-west town hall meeting that Mr Jonathan only relinquished power because he wanted to avoid being at the helm of affairs during the recession.

The meeting was organised by the Minister for Information, Lai Mohammed, and held at the Emeritus Professor Theophilus Ogunlesi Hall, opposite University College Hospital, Ibadan, Oyo State.

Mr Fashola at the meeting also said the Goodluck government not only plunged the nation into recession but pushed it into debts.

”What was left behind were massive debts owed to contractors who had not been paid for three to five years and who had laid off thousands of workers and shut down equipment and plants.

”That was one of the reasons why the economy first went into, and, I suspect, one of the reasons they (Goodluck administration) quickly conceded defeat,” Mr Fashola said.

He explained that when the present administration assumed office in 2015, the three ministries previous budget was N19 billion for works, N5 billion for power, and N1.2 billion for housing making a total of N25.2 billion, “as at when the country was selling oil at $100 per barrel in that decade”.

“In 2017, the All Progressive Congress (APC) led administration budget for works was N394 billion; power was N69.96 billion and housing was N64.9 billion (total- N529 billion) and oil price hovered between $40-$60 per barrel.

”Let me start by saying that my ministry is responsible for delivering some of Nigeria’s critical infrastructure for transport, electricity and housing,” he added.

According to him, President Buhari has shown seriousness in providing adequate infrastructure to support the country.

”In a country where the population is growing faster than the infrastructure, the difference between these budgets must tell you that this government is more serious about providing infrastructure to support you.

”Another feature of the difference between these two budget sizes is that the last government was spending less on infrastructure for almost one decade when oil prices stayed at $100 per barrel during that decade. This government is spending more on infrastructure when oil prices largely hovered between $40-$60,” he said.

He urged Nigerians to make the right choices in the next election “either to vote in a government that spends more on infrastructure or a government that spent less on infrastructure”.

”So, if you need more roads, more bridges, more power, more housing and the job opportunities and prosperity that their delivery will bring, your choice in the next election should be easier.

”Don’t go back to a budget of N25.2 billion for infrastructure, move forward with a budget for infrastructure which has grown to N529 billion in 2018.

”So, in making your choice, please consider who is the better manager. The one who did less with more or the one who did more with less.

”Again I urge you to reflect. Do you want to go back to doing less with more, or move forward with doing more with less?”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/292657-jonathan-accepted-defeat-in-2015-due-to-imminent-recession-fashola.html
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Udantu: 5:11pm On Oct 26, 2018
I don't know the type of weed this one has been smoking . I am sure gej handed over to the dullard in 1985 too to avoid recession .

It is a good thing fashola has been brought to the national limelight. The lagoa/ibadan express newspaper has been protecting him declaring him the next best thing since bread and butter. Now wind has blown and fowl Nyash exposed

He is a big failure as a a minister

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by NaijaRoyalty(m): 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2018
Fashola is a shameless old man. A bigot, and a failure of a minister.

Fashola is a smooth criminal who is not fit to point accusing finger on anyone.

In a sane clime like China, A man like fashola would have been jailed for life for all the atrocities he commited as Governor and Minister that were swept under the carpet.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by quickberry(m): 5:15pm On Oct 26, 2018
God bless my fantastic minister

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Alepa(m): 5:16pm On Oct 26, 2018
Udantu:
I don't know the type of weed this one has been smoking
NaijaRoyalty:
Fashola is no doubt a shameless old man. a bigot, and a failure of a minister.

Both of you should shut up !
You’re hijacking the first page to spew trash and propaganda
www.nairaland.com/attachments/8027555_img20181026wa0020_jpegdef2060c564df5e3e51e593267aa58ed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by quickberry(m): 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2018
NaijaRoyalty:
I'm no doubt a shameless old man. a bigot, and a failure of a person.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by quickberry(m): 5:19pm On Oct 26, 2018
Udantu:
I don't know the type of weed I have been smoking

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by vanbonattel: 5:19pm On Oct 26, 2018
And your principal accepted to enter and plunge the country into recession by delaying government activities for 6 months. APC and blames.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by 4kDdullard: 5:20pm On Oct 26, 2018
This useless thing that has failed terribly in proving Nigerians light has started blabbing.
Lagos is still a mega slum after his tenure.
A black man is naturally cursed.
Nothing is working in the most populous black country in the world yet their shameless wicked rulers keep opening their gutter moutg to spill trash.
Shame to Africa!
Illiterate ruling Nigeria and some fools are comfortable.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by cyril10(m): 5:21pm On Oct 26, 2018
What kind of word is this please? may God deliver this country from the hands of evil men parading themselves as good men of good will.

With these kind of words coming from people like Fashola, Lie Mohammed, Keyamo and co, APC will continue to go down, they've taken us

for granted enough. What rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Maxymilliano(m): 5:22pm On Oct 26, 2018
So Fashola is saying that Jonathan would have held on to power after losing 2015 election

Tunde come is your brain leaking or something ?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by quickberry(m): 5:22pm On Oct 26, 2018
4kDdullard:
This useless thing that has failed terribly in provingproviding Nigerians light has started blabbing.
Lagos is still a mega slum after his tenure.
A black man is naturally cursed.
Nothing is working in the most populous black country in the world yet their shameless wicked rulers keep opening their gutter moutgmouth to spillspew trash.
Shame to Africa!
Illiterate ruling Nigeria and some fools are comfortable.

Pot calling kettle black

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 26, 2018
Fashola minister for darkness.

Better fix the road or train leading to your hometown cause you're leaving office next year alongside your paymaster.

We've had enough of your excuses and blame games.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by quickberry(m): 5:23pm On Oct 26, 2018
Maxymilliano:
So Fashola is saying that Jonathan would have held on to power after losing 2015 election

Maxymilliano come is your brain leaking or something ?
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by 4kDdullard: 5:32pm On Oct 26, 2018
quickberry:

Pot calling kettle black
Idiot it is a typographic error. You are one of the fools I referred to.
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Kenekingisback: 5:33pm On Oct 26, 2018
Buhari should also accept defeat next year due to his lack of performance in the last three years.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by SarkinYarki: 5:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
Lies I must debunk this useless notion today

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by quickberry(m): 5:36pm On Oct 26, 2018
4kDdullard:
Idiot it is a typographic error. You are one of the fools I referred to.

Hahahahahahaha, typotext error ni....oya jp
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by IamAtikulate: 5:40pm On Oct 26, 2018
The only one we thought is sensible among them. So how do you guys tend to win 2023 election if you go ahead creating enemies in SS/SE and even among their Christians?

If you are waiting for Northern votes, sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by sweerychick(f): 5:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
Can someone please tell this idiotic Minister of darkness to shut his stupid mouth up! I used to respect this man but after his statement yesterday about Southwest voting for Buhari to ensure Yoruba presidency I lost all atom of respect for him. So we should wallow in suffering cos you want someone from your ethnic group to become president.. shame on you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Racoon(m): 5:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
shocked
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by eagleeye2: 5:48pm On Oct 26, 2018
Basket mouth has started again. Very soon now, things go turn rocket science for am
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
Useless Fashola.... common give NIGERIANS light, you can not do.

SHUT UP YOU LOST PIG
Re: Jonathan Accepted Defeat In 2015 Due To Imminent Recession — Fashola by 4kDdullard: 7:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
quickberry:

Hahahahahahaha, typotext error ni....oya jp
Go and die bro I don't have time for foolsssssssss.

(1) (Reply)

2019: APGA, SDP To Join Forces With APC In Abia – Uche Ogah / New Look Of Nchia General Hospital In Eleme LGA By Governor Wike / BREAKING: Minimum Wage: FG, Labour In Closed-door Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.