Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Hitler And Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hitler And Christianity (7666 Views)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / Mention Few Common Practices Between Islam And Christianity. / Astrology, Zodiac Signs And Christianity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hitler would have to have been positively unusual not to have been influenced by the long standing Christian tradition of blaming Jews as Christ-killers. In a speech in Munich in 1923, Hitler said, 'The first thing to do is to rescue [Germany] from the Jew who is ruining our country, We want to prevent our Germany from suffering, as Another did, the death upon the Cross.'
Nazi anti-Judaism was the work of godless, anti-Christian criminals. But it would not have been possible without the almost two thousand years' pre-history of 'Christian' anti-Judaism, ”

Hans Küng, "On Being a Christian"

“I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”

Adolf Hitler
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 9:21am On Jul 20, 2010
Now this is how christianity produced another animal. This is clearly a violent religion.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 9:27am On Jul 20, 2010
You are totally wrong.

Hitler hated Christianity because he hated the Churches. He saw them as having a control over the same people that he wanted to control. He used Christianity as a tool to further his own ends but his own personal beliefs were probably a hotchpotch of  paganism.

http://www.bede.org.uk/hitler.htm

If you wish to take this subject further, I am prepared to debate it with you.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by ajoguegbe(m): 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2010
Get it clear-Anyone who is an Ambassador of Nigeria can not do anything contrary to the principles of Nigerian president, except he has stopped representing him. Unlike Muhammad and the Quran that lived and promoted violence, hatred, lewdness, murder, robbery, Jesus spoke against all vices and warned his disciples never to indulge in any of them. He never killed anyone, and all His disciples that followed his teaching never fought back even when they were persecuted and killed. that was why they were called Christians-Christ followers or imitators. Anyone that is violent or a murderer is d/4 not a Christian in the real meaning of the word. That is why I don't agree with Islam trying to impose themselves on Christ that he was one of their prophets. Read the account of Jesus

1)When they did not receive Him in a particular Village his disciples suggested they bring down fire to destroy the unbelievers but Jesus opposed it. The Bible says "He sent messengers ahead of him, but the people there would not receive him, When the disciples James and John saw this, they said, 'Lord, do you want us to call fire down from Heaven to destroy them?' Jesus turned and rebuked them. then Jesus and his disciples went on to another village"  Luke 9:52-56 GNB
2) When Peter attempted to use violence on someone that came to arrest Jesus, he rebuked him. The Bible reports the incidence, "Then they came up and arrested Jesus, and held him tight. One of those who was with Jesus drew his sword and struck at the High Priest's slave, cutting off his ear. "put your sword back in its place" Jesus said to him. "All who take the sword will die by the sword, " Matthew 26:50-53 GNB

Contrast that with the command of Muhammad in the Koran which he went ahead to exemplify
Quran 9.29 "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day , "
Islam contains a large amount of intense venemous hatred for non-muslims. Quran and Hadith are filled with this hatred, which has always been easily tranformed into physical violence since the creation of Islam. Mohammed himself was a terrorist in his time, when he ordered to kill those who left Islam. He took part in many battles against people just for the reason they did not accept Islam.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Mudley313: 10:37pm On Jul 20, 2010
Bastage:

You are totally wrong.

Hitler hated Christianity because he hated the Churches. He saw them as having a control over the same people that he wanted to control. He used Christianity as a tool to further his own ends but his own personal beliefs were probably a hotchpotch of  paganism.

http://www.bede.org.uk/hitler.htm

If you wish to take this subject further, I am prepared to debate it with you.

they say a picture is worth more than a thousand words. . .and the words in this your rebuttal doesn't come close to a thousand talkless of 2

Re: Hitler And Christianity by tpiah: 10:40pm On Jul 20, 2010
mudley

what's your point?

spell it out.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 11:44pm On Jul 20, 2010
Mudley313:

they say a picture is worth more than a thousand words. . .and the words in this your rebuttal doesn't come close to a thousand talkless of 2

No they don't. Apart from the fact that one is named eugeniopacelli (who was Pope Pius XII) and it is not of him, put the pictures into context.

As Cardinal Secretary of State, Pacelli signed a Concordat between Germany and the Vatican at a ceremony in Rome on 20 July 1933. His pontificate began on the eve of World War II. In the 1937 encyclical Mit brennender Sorge, drafted by Pope Pius XII when he was still a cardinal,[48] Pope Pius XI denounced Nazism and breaches of the Reichskonkordat. Read from the pulpits of all German Catholic churches, it has been described as the first official denunciation of Nazism made by any major organization.[49] Nazi persecution of the Church in Germany then began by "outright repression" and "staged prosecutions of monks for homosexuality, with the maximum of publicity."[113] When Dutch bishops protested against the deportation of Jews, the Nazis responded by deporting Jewish converts, including Edith Stein.[49]

In Poland, the Nazis murdered over 2,500 monks and priests while even more were sent to concentration camps.[113] The Priester-Block (priests barracks) in the Dachau concentration camp lists 2,600 Roman Catholic priests.

Well over half of Europe put their hands up in a Nazi salute. They had a gun to their head. Did you expect the Church to be any different? Also, who are the priests in the second photo? The Germany Army had it's own "chaplains" - so called priests appointed by the Nazi regime.

Post your photos by all means, but at least have the courtesy to add some sort of argument with them. The fact is, you can Google and easily find out what Hitler's relationship with the Churches and Christianity was like. As I stated, he hated both. And I say that without being a Christian.

The proof is in history. Not in a couple of photographs.

1 Like

Re: Hitler And Christianity by Mudley313: 1:56am On Jul 21, 2010
Bastage:

No they don't. Apart from the fact that one is named eugeniopacelli (who was Pope Pius XII) and it is not of him, put the pictures into context.

well, the title of the thread is "hitler and christianity" and you went all gung-ho in your response in an attempt to distance CHRISTIANITY from hitler, but these pictures seems quite contrary to one who had such "distaste for the church", according to your argument

Well over half of Europe put their hands up in a Nazi salute. They had a gun to their head. Did you expect the Church to be any different?

oh i see. now i know how you guys get down. it's okay to renounce your faith and roll with the devil as long as there's a gun to your head. pretty interesting

Also, who are the priests in the second photo? The Germany Army had it's own "chaplains" - so called priests appointed by the Nazi regime.

what's your point? this only corroborates the intent of the thread starter, its title "hitler and CHRISTIANITY" and OP. i thought "priest" and "chaplains" are offices and positions in CHRISTIANITY or did the german army also have imams and sango priest too? i didn't think so

Post your photos by all means, but at least have the courtesy to add  some sort of argument with them.

in regards to "this thread", the pictures really didn't need any supporting argument to buttress the point of the OP

The fact is, you can Google and easily find out what Hitler's relationship with the Churches and Christianity was like. As I stated, he hated both. And I say that without being a Christian.

The proof is in history. Not in a couple of photographs.

Nothing against your claims (i think the OP even kinda pointed that out in the bolded below), but next time try n read the OP to be sure of what exactly the argument is or should be on about

vedaxcool:

Hitler would have to have been positively unusual not to have been influenced by the long standing Christian tradition of blaming Jews as Christ-killers. In a speech in Munich in 1923, Hitler said, 'The first thing to do is to rescue [Germany] from the Jew who is ruining our country,  We want to prevent our Germany from suffering, as Another did, the death upon the Cross.'
Nazi anti-Judaism was the work of godless, anti-Christian criminals. But it would not have been possible without the almost two thousand years' pre-history of 'Christian' anti-Judaism, ”

Hans Küng, "On Being a Christian"

“I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”

Adolf Hitler
Re: Hitler And Christianity by aletheia(m): 6:19am On Jul 21, 2010
At OP, I see, you are still on your concerted effort to show that the followers of Jesus of Nazareth are violent (a false notion as anyone who has actually read the bible will attest). History shows that Hitler hated the Jews, but so does Islam. In truth, Muslims were very avid supporters of Hitler. Not surprising since they are only following the example of their prophet.
History also shows that Muhammad hated Jews:

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.' "

Hypocritical post. Hitler hated Jews and so did your prophet!
Tabari VII:97/Ishaq:369 "The next morning, the Jews were in a state of fear on account of our attack upon the enemy of Allah. After the assassination, the Prophet declared, [b]'Kill every Jew.'"[/b]
^^^Substitute Hitler for "the Prophet" above and you will see they are of the same tree: Hitler and Muhammad

1 Like

Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 1:31pm On Jul 21, 2010
"Then they came up and arrested Jesus, and held him tight. One of those who was with Jesus drew his sword and struck at the High Priest's slave, cutting off his ear. "put your sword back in its place" Jesus said to him. "All who take the sword will die by the sword, " Matthew 26:50-53 GNB
REALLY IS THIS MAN WITH HIS SENSES wasn't it Jesus that SAID "those that do not have a sword should sell their garments and buy one", This aju of a guy is really a ju-man, Jesus changed his position because the Jews and Romans had outmatched him, and hence skillfully detoured. More over why did he tell his disciples to "Watch" while he goes to pray, why was he praying to God( isn't he suppose to be part of the God?) to make this cup pass away, You see blind man his disciple would have hacked the man head had they not be out numbered.
Further more this same Jesus? said those who will not let me prevail on them bring them here and slay them,  pls explain why the lamb(as u people day) would utter such a thing, that is he is simply saying if you do not believe in me i will kill u.
MORE IMPORTANTLY ANSWER THE TOPIC HITLER AND CHRISTIANITY CAUSE THEY WERE VERY TIGHT AND ONE OF THE CHURCH FATHERS MADE THIS STATEMENT:"St Thomas Aquinas gives the principle theological backing in his Summa Theologica when, reiterating the views of St Bernard, he declares that 'since the Jews are the slaves of the Church, she can dispose of their possessions'."
AND WE READ IN THE BIBLE In the Gospels we read more and more frequently about the Jewish people being reluctant to accept Jesus as the Messiah. He speaks to the Jewish audiences about 'your Law' as if it were not the same Law which he acknowledges and lives by. He grieves for the 'hardness of the hearts' of the Jewish congregation (Mark 3:5).
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Mudley313: 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2010
aletheia:

At OP, I see, you are still on your concerted effort to show that the followers of Jesus of Nazareth are violent (a false notion as anyone who has actually read the bible will attest). History shows that Hitler hated the Jews, but so does Islam. In truth, Muslims were very avid supporters of Hitler. Not surprising since they are only following the example of their prophet.
History also shows that Muhammad hated Jews:

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.' "

Hypocritical post. Hitler hated Jews and so did your prophet!
Tabari VII:97/Ishaq:369 "The next morning, the Jews were in a state of fear on account of our attack upon the enemy of Allah. After the assassination, the Prophet declared, [b]'Kill every Jew.'"[/b]
^^^Substitute Hitler for "the Prophet" above and you will see they are of the same tree: Hitler and Muhammad

oh, so this was supposed to be one of those subliminal "my religion is better than your religion" threads? OP, if you initiated this thread to prove some sought of point in regards to support for your religion of peace, you failed woefully. islam is currently the most backward, intolerant and despicable religion that exist in today's world. the world would be much better without your violence prone imaginary virgin seeking terrorists infested religion
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 1:53pm On Jul 21, 2010
Mudley313:

well, the title of the thread is "hitler and christianity" and you went all gung-ho in your response in an attempt to distance CHRISTIANITY from hitler, but these pictures seems quite contrary to one who had such "distaste for the church", according to your argument.

That's pure fabrication and a totally crass argument. I can show you a photograph of Robert Mugabe standing next to the Queen of England. Does that mean Mugabe loves white people?
Without context, your photos are totally and utterly worthless.

oh i see. now i know how you guys get down. it's okay to renounce your faith and roll with the devil as long as there's a gun to your head. pretty interesting

Again, a crass argument. If you've a gun against your head, you'll renounce anything. To say otherwise is pathetic.
Also, it's not my faith. Why do you assume so? Simply because I renounce your ignorance on the subject? Everyone who disagrees with you must be a Christian, right? Wrong!!.

what's your point? this only corroborates the intent of the thread starter, its title "hitler and CHRISTIANITY" and OP. i thought "priest" and "chaplains" are offices and positions in CHRISTIANITY or did the german army also have imams and sango priest too? i didn't think so

Wrong on two points there. Firstly, the Chaplains were appointed by the Army, secondly there were Imams in the German Army. There were specific Muslim/Arab SS units.
Really. You need to study before opening your mouth and spouting drivel.

in regards to "this thread", the pictures really didn't need any supporting argument to buttress the point of the OP

Just because you state that twice does not make it any more truthful.

Nothing against your claims (i think the OP even kinda pointed that out in the bolded below), but next time try n read the OP to be sure of what exactly the argument is or should be on about

I'm fully aware of what the topic was about. I refuted the connection between Hitler and Christianity. You posted photos that you claim show Nazis (not Hitler) and Christian priests.

Even though you deviated from the OP I have refuted that argument also.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 2:02pm On Jul 21, 2010
arrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
tHIS WAS A prediction about the future just as the bible predicted that the Jerusalem will be destroyed, the jews will be killed and exiled.
The second stuff on  Tabarri appears you hardly quoted it right just as the first quote but more impoprtantly there is no point in Islamic history cause even Allah reffer to them as the people of the book unlike Jesus who perpetually insulted them in the bible with statements like "Hard neck, " and other peacely statements. Jews were every jew was killed like Tabari said on the onset of his book "Let him who examines this book of mine know that I have relied, as regards everything I mention therein which I stipulate to be described by me, solely upon what has been transmitted to me by way of reports which I cite therein and traditions which I ascribe to their narrators, to the exclusion of what may be apprehended by rational argument or deduced by the human mind, except in very few cases. This is because knowledge of the reports of men of the past and of contemporaneous views of men of the present do not reach the one who has not witnessed them nor lived in their times except through the accounts of reporters and the transmission of transmitters, to the exclusion of rational deduction and mental inference. Hence, if I mention in this book a report about some men of the past, which the reader of listener finds objectionable or worthy of censure because he can see no aspect of truth nor any factual substance therein, let him know that this is not to be attributed to us but to those who transmitted it to us and we have merely passed this on as it has been passed on to us." Hence Tabari is not the originator of this claims he was merely quoting someone else.
So lame brain come up with some thing good and better still Answer why Hitler was doing the service of Christianity by murdering the Jews instead of obfuscating the question this has alwayus been you people strategy.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 2:13pm On Jul 21, 2010
vedaxcool:

So lame brain come up with some thing good and better still Answer why Hitler was doing the service of Christianity by murdering the Jews instead of obfuscating the question this has alwayus been you people strategy.

It's already been refuted or can you not read?

@Mudley313

[img]http://www.choiquehobbies.com.ar/revista/notas/kodat/kodat01.jpg[/img]

Above is a photograph of a unit of the Arab SS Legion.
Does that mean that Islam supported Hitler and is responsible for the Holocaust?
Of course it doesn't. Without context, the picture is meaningless.

The Mufti of Jerusalem and President of the Supreme Muslim Council, Mohammad Amin al-Husayni, was an ardent supporter of Nazism and even went about actively recruiting Muslims to fight in the German army during World War II. He became very close to the Nazi leading circle and conducted radio broadcasts and recruitment operations for them during the later part of the Second World War.

Mohammad Amin al-Husayni and Hitler.

Mohammad Amin al-Husayni and Bosnian Muslim SS trooper.

Does that mean Islam was responsible for Hitler and the Holocaust?

Quite simply, the answer is no. Hitler was a genocidal maniac who had no respect for any religion.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 2:51pm On Jul 21, 2010
Wrong on two points there. Firstly, the Chaplains were appointed by the Army, secondly there were Imams in the German Army. There were specific Muslim/Arab SS units.
Really. You need to study before opening your mouth and spouting drivel.

Really man why tell lies all in a bid to defend your religionn from its truths here are some western orientalist quotes on the topic of islam, christianity and treatment of Jews
Frederick M. Schweitzer and Marvin Perry state that there are mostly negative references to Jews in the Qur'an and Hadith, and that Islamic regimes treated Jews in degrading ways. Jews (and Christians) had the status of dhimmis. They state that throughout much of history Christians treated Jews worse, saying that Jews in Christian lands were subjected to worse polemics, persecutions and massacres than under Muslim rule.[8]

* Bernard Lewis[5] writes that while Muslims have held negative stereotypes regarding Jews, throughout most of Islamic history these stereotypes were not indicative of antisemitism because, unlike Christians, Muslims viewed Jews as objects of ridicule, not fear. He argues that Muslims did not attribute "cosmic evil" to Jews.[6] In Lewis' view, it was only in the late nineteenth century that movements first appeared among Muslims that can legitimately be described as antisemitic.[7]

For Martin Kramer, the idea that contemporary antisemitism by Muslims is authentically Islamic "touches on some truths, yet it misses many others". Kramer believes that contemporary antisemitism is due only partially to Israeli policies, about which Muslims may have a deep sense of injustice and loss. But Kramer attributes the primary causes of Muslim antisemitism to modern European ideologies, which have infected the Muslim world

so bastage Hitler was clearly influence by the antisemetic views of christianity and like the Post, it appears he was like every other christian of his time scared of jews.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2010
so bastooge is into forgery of photo. look at the second photo, how the mufti is hardly sitting down, now look at the 1st picture : do they look like muslims, a capital no.
now also like at the third picture how are we sure they are not British, man quite this forgery of history. i do not know the holy ghost? is pushing you to lie
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:38pm On Jul 21, 2010
SMOKING GUN!
Hitler wth Archbishop Cesare Orsenigo, the papal nuncio in Berlin, 1935

On April 20, 1939, Archbishop Orsenigo celebrated Hitler's birthday. The celebrations, initiated by Pacelli (Pope Pius XII) became a tradition. Each April 20, Cardinal Bertram of Berlin was to send "warmest congratulations to the Fuhrer in the name of the bishops and the dioceses in Germany" and added with "fervent prayers which the Catholics of Germany are sending to heaven on their altars.

Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:41pm On Jul 21, 2010
Hitler signing his autograph for a Christian fan

Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:43pm On Jul 21, 2010
Hitler celebrating Christmas with his soldiers.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2010
The Goring Wedding

Only Christians perform Christian weddings, and the Nazis were no exception.

Hermann Goring married Emmy Sonnemann, a famous Opera star.

Adolf Hitler stands in the front row as "Best Man" during the ceremony in the Cathedral by Reichbishop Müller.

Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:49pm On Jul 21, 2010
Hitler's mother's grave

Klara Hitler was a pious Catholic mother who raised Hitler according to her beliefs.

Hitler felt grief-stricken over his mother's death. She was buried alongside her husband in Linz, Austria. German soldiers here pay their respects to the grave in 1938.

Note the Christian cross on her monument.

Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2010
Hitler greets Muller the "Bishop of the Reich" and Abbot Schachleitner

Re: Hitler And Christianity by chakula: 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2010
Hitler’s involvement with the Church:

a) Hitler was baptized as Roman Catholic during infancy in Austria.

b) As Hitler approached boyhood he attended a monastery school. (On his way to school young Adolf daily observed a stone arch which was carved with the monastery’s coat of arms bearing a swastika.)

c) Hitler was a communicant and an altar boy in the Catholic Church.

d) As a young man he was confirmed as a “soldier of Christ.” His most ardent goal at the time was to become a priest. Hitler writes of his love for the church and clergy: “I had excellent opportunity to intoxicate myself with the solemn splendor of the brilliant church festivals. As was only natural, the abbot seemed to me, as the village priest had once seemed to my father, the highest and most desirable ideal.” -Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

e) Hitler was NEVER excommunicated nor condemned by his church. Matter of fact the Church felt he was JUST and “avenging for God” in attacking the Jews for they deemed the Semites the killers of Jesus.

http://www.evilbible.com/hitler_was_christian.htm
Re: Hitler And Christianity by chakula: 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2010
Quotes from Other Nazis about Hitler and Religion:

"Around 1937, when Hitler heard that at the instigation of the party and the SS vast numbers of his followers had left the church because it was obstinately opposing his plans, he nevertheless ordered his chief associates, above all Goering and Gobbels, to remain members of the church. He too would remain a member of the Catholic Church, he said, although he had no real attachment to it. And in fact he remained in the church until his suicide." (Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer page 95-96)
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 4:29pm On Jul 21, 2010
vedaxcool:

so bastooge is into forgery of photo. look at the second photo, how the mufti is hardly sitting down, now look at the 1st picture : do they look like muslims, a capital no.
now also like at the third picture how are we sure they are not British, man quite this forgery of history. i do not know the holy ghost? is pushing you to lie

I'll state it yet agqain so that even an ignorant illiterate fool like you can understand - I am not a Christian.

Now to address your accusations of forgery:

You are a total and utter slowpoke. Mohammad Amin al-Husayni's relationship to Nazism is well documented. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to embellish or falsify anything regarding that relationship.
If you want to deny fact and history, that is fine. You already do it where religion is concerned anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Amin_al-Husayni

Read the page you ignorant buffoon. Or is Wikipedia a Christian tool?
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 4:45pm On Jul 21, 2010
@chakula.

I've known about that site for years. Unfortunately, it is very unreliable. Unfortunately, the rabid atheism there means that it's about as truthful as the rabid Christian and Islamic fundamentalists who post here - ie: not at all.

1) There is no proof that Hitler was ever baptised.

2) Monastry schools were the norm back in his time so that's nothing unremarkable. Every kid went to them.

3) True he may have been an alter boy but so what? That bears absolutely no relevance.

4) He never wanted to be a priest. I've a copy of Mein Kampf. I've read it. Nowhere is a yearning to be a priest for religious reasons mentioned. The passage you're referring to has been taken out of context. What Hitler is referring to there is the architecture of church buildings. He wanted to be a priest so he could spend time admiring the architecture.

5) Not true either. Dozens of edicts against Hitler and Nazism were issued from the Vatican. As for the Church wanting rid of the Jews? No. They were far, far too worried about the Communist threat to give a damn about wanting the Jews dead.

I also have a copy of Inside the Third Reich. I've read it. Have you? You've so far quoted two books that sit on my book-shelf but I feel that you have no idea of their contents. Goering and Gobbels were to remain in the Church so that they could help to control it. Why do you think Hitler had to order them to remain? Wouldn't that indicate that they wanted to leave?

As I've stated, religion was a tool. Hitler needed to control it so that he could control the masses. To suggest otherwise shows no knowledge of history or fact.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 4:49pm On Jul 21, 2010
As some here seem to be to lazy to open links:

It is sometimes said that Hitler was a believer in God and specifically that he was a Christian or at least was brought up as a Catholic. After all, weren’t most Austrians, certainly in the late 19th century, nominally Catholics? And what about the frequent references to “God” and “Providence” in his speeches, or to immortality, or the quasi-religious imagery of Nazism?

In contrast to his adult life, relatively little is known about Hitler's childhood and upbringing, and what we do know sheds only dim light on his religious persuasion. His mother was apparently a pious Catholic, according to Hitler's biographers, but Hitler’s own connection with the church during his early youth was not strong. We know he attended a nearby monastery for singing lessons, probably at his father’s behest (Ian Kershaw, Hitler: 1889 – 1936 Hubris, WW Norton, 2000), and that the young Hitler was impressed by the grandiose architecture of great churches. It can reasonably be said that, because of the region in which he was brought up, and the religious faith of at least one of his parents, Hitler was nominally a Catholic. Among his biographers, however, none assert that the boy was even baptized, although it is likely, and there is no evidence of any particularly strong religious element in his upbringing or of feelings of faith like those held by his mother.

So much for Hitler’s early life. What about his attitude to religion and the Church later on? In Mein Kampf (1925) Hitler criticized the Catholic Church in its political form, which he said failed to recognize Germany’s and Europe’s “racial problem”. His Party Charter for the nascent Nazional Sozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter Partei demanded in Article 24, in contrast to strong Christian control of German’s spiritual life, “complete freedom of religion” (in so far, of course, as that was not a “danger to Germany”) (William Shirer, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Arrow, 1991). Indeed, the official “Nazi Party Philosopher”, Alfred Rosenberg, (later to be hanged at Nuremberg), appointed of course with Hitler’s consent, was totally opposed to Christianity. However, Hitler the politician was also aware that to achieve power he would need to win votes from the Catholic Centre Party and could not afford total alienation.

Upon attaining office and enjoying a free hand, what line did Hitler take on religion and the Church? Five days after becoming Chancellor in 1933, Hitler allowed a sterilization law to pass, and had the Catholic Youth League disbanded (Shirer, The Rise). The latter was a measure applied to other youth organizations too, in order to free up young people to join the Hitler Youth. At the same time, Hitler also made an agreement with the Vatican to allow the Catholic Church to regulate its own affairs. (It is probably worth noting here the low value that Hitler placed on written agreements.) Parents were pressured to take their children out of religious schools. When the Church organized voluntary out-of-hours religious classes, the Nazi government responded by banning state-employed teachers from taking part. The Crucifix symbol was even at one point banned from classrooms in one particular jurisdiction, Oldenburg, in 1936, but the measure met with fierce public resistance and was rescinded. Hitler remained conscious of the affection for the Church felt in some quarters of Germany, particularly Bavaria. Later on, though, a wartime metal shortage was used as the excuse for melting church bells (Richard Grunberger, The Twelve Year Reich, Henry Holt, Henry Holt, 1979 and Richard Grunberger, A Social History of the Third Reich, Penguin, 1991).

Hitler’s references to providence and God and the ritualistic pageantry of Nazism were more than likely pagan than Christian. Earthly symbols of German valour and Teutonic strength were to be worshipped - not the forgiving, compassionate representative of an “Eastern Mediterranean servant ethic imposed on credulous ancient Germans by force and subterfuge” (the phrase is Burleigh’s own, in Michael Burleigh, The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001). A Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) illustrates it:

We follow not Christ, but Horst Wessel,
Away with incense and Holy Water,
The Church can go hang for all we care,
The Swastika brings salvation on Earth.

(Horst Wessel was an early Nazi party Sturmabteilung street-fighter murdered by communists and turned into a martyr by propaganda chief Josef Goebbels.)

The SS were particularly anti-Christian, and officers and men were encouraged to leave the Church, although those that refused to renounce their Christian faith were not visibly punished, perhaps because their otherwise faithful adherence to SS codes of behaviour gave the lie to any claim of true Christian affiliation. The SS also brought in its own neo-pagan rituals for marriage ceremonies and baptisms.

At this time then, the only alignments between Nazism and Catholicism were the Church’s perceived anti-Semitism and anti-communism, and an abhorrence of abortions by healthy pregnant German women (although Hitler did diverge from the Church once again in 1939 when he authorized the medical extermination of mentally and physically handicapped children). As the war progressed and the Wehrmacht gained control of large parts of the Soviet Union, the question of the suppressed Russian Orthodox Christian sects surfaced. Hitler’s response was to leave them to their own devices “so they can beat each others’ brains out with their crucifixes”. He also had contempt for European Protestants: “as submissive as dogs” (Shirer, The Rise). In the debate about his spiritual leanings, Hitler is also sometimes alleged to have flirted with the occult, although in fact it was far more a passion of Himmler’s. For instance, Hitler loathed astrologers. Others close to him, such as Goering, were also dismissive of Himmler’s obsession with the supernatural and Hitler would no doubt have enjoyed Goebbels' joke, during one clampdown on eccentric religious types, that it was “odd that not a single one [of a group of arrested clairvoyants] predicted he would be arrested”. Goebbels would later try to rally Hitler in his bunker at the end of the war with astrological charts predicting victory but Hitler was still unmoved.

At times, Hitler was more pragmatic about religion: “If my mother were alive, she would definitely be a churchgoer, and I wouldn’t want to hinder her. On the contrary, you’ve got to respect the simple faith of the people”. If Hitler was motivated by a supreme being, or convinced that his success was providential, it is hard to see that he was referring to the same God worshipped by Christians. These elements of his orations were dramatic and poetic figures of speech, and the immortality he stood for was of the earthly type, in which heroic legends and monumentalist architecture alone would preserve a great name or event for generations. This analysis stands entirely apart from the actions committed in Hitler’s name which shatter any pretence of Christian leaning. In conclusion, it is reasonable beyond doubt to say that Hitler was not at any stage of his life a Christian.

The author of this article is an agnostic
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 5:05pm On Jul 21, 2010
Bastooge you are dafter than a he-goat eating paper, You say you are not a christain who-cares you might be under the influence of the ghouly-ghost for all i care. Now fool I said the pictures you posted are very doubtful as i havealready submitted evidence of your daft brain in ability to sift through poor materials and forgery and even this same wikipedia you said clearly claimed that husain---- sought natsi-alliance to protet his home town from the british clearly that was a more worthier goal. Ghoul brain i hoped the fire i am striking you with has not made you an atheist--lame brain. More importantly you have hardly brought proof, no one is interested in you links bring concrete stuff let us debate instead of behaving like a typical christian missionary---only able to create diversion rather than answer stuff. my photo has clearly proven that hitler and christrianity had something going. Let me give you some intelligent quotes from the christian fathers before hitler
   * he Epistle of Barnabus shows the Church exalted at the expense of the synagogue and the deadly word "Deicide" (the killing of God) appeared in Christian writings.

* Justin Martyr charged that the Jews crucified Christ in the highest pitch of their wickedness. It was during this time (150 A.D.) that the first encounter with Replacement Theology was embraced where the church replaced the Jews as God's chosen people.

* Tertullian argued that divine judgment is upon Israel, and Jews are destined to suffer for the crucifixion.

* New ideas opposing "law" sprang up as early as 160-320 A.D. Marcion, 2nd century, adopted Matthew 5:17 as key theme to ending God's law and taught that the grace of God superseded it, rejecting the Old Testament.

* Several Church Councils from 341 A.D. to 626 A.D. prohibited Christians from celebrating the Sabbath, festivals, and even eating with the Jews. It seemed that the greatest concern with Judaism on the part of Christians leaders was the attraction that it held for Christians. . . . These rules do not come out of bad relations between Jews and Christians (what would now be called, erroneously, antisemitism), but rather were enacted because relations were good and the authorities wanted to separate the two peoples. God has always had a remnant who has followed the Torah.

* John Chrysostom, 344-407 A.D., preached: "The Jews , are worse than wild beasts , lower than the vilest animals. Debauchery and drunkenness had brought them to the level of the lusty goat and the pig. They know only , to satisfy their stomachs, to get drunk, to kill and beat each other up , I hate the Jews , I hate the Synagogue , it is the duty of all Christians to hate the Jews.

Origen, 185-254 A.D., was most responsible for changing the way the Church interpreted prophecy, creating the atmosphere

so athiest missionary what do you have to say hitler learnt his antisemetism from a strong culture of christian antisemetism.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Bastage: 5:15pm On Jul 21, 2010
What are you burbling about you buffoon?

What have Biblical references got to do with this subject?

As for concrete references? You're a joke. On one hand you insinuate that Mohammad Amin al-Husayni had nothing to do with Nazism, on the other you admit that he did, but only because he was protecting Palestine. Which way do you want it, slowpoke?

Hmmm, what was al-Husayni protecting Palestine from? Oh yes. The Jews. So who was actually siding with Hitler to advance the Holocaust? Could it have been the Islamic mufti? I think it was.

You're such a fool. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oh look:

A Muslim SS insignia. "Allah is with us"?

Of course, I made that up didn't I? Nothing that you disagree with is real is it? Here's the page it comes from. But I guess, even though it's a purely militaryt website, it's some lying Atheist/Christian agenda isn't it?

http://axis101.bizland.com/EasternVolunteers1.htm

Man, you're dumb.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 5:41pm On Jul 21, 2010
Now there go a stooge of deception, I am not a christian him and his agnostic author are fools with capital letters F.O.O.L.S for one if a child grows up in an enviroment were hate is the only thing taught what should we expect. more importantly why is hitler dillidarling with all this church figures. Only a pervert will claim Hitler wasn't inspired by antisemetic feelings and thinkings of christianity.

Now common sense will make us ask why do hitler hate the Jews so much simple they put Jesus on the cross as the statement follows and motre importantly because the society he lived in people were trained to hate the jews. No matter how bastooge tries he cannot separate christianity from hitler and antisemetism.
now read this Some scholars maintain, that in contrast to other Nazi leaders, Hitler did not adhere to esoteric ideas, occultism, or Nazi mysticism, and even ridiculed such beliefs in private and possibly in public. Hitler stated: "We will not allow mystically-minded occult folk with a passion for exploring the secrets of the world beyond to steal into our Movement. Such folk are not National Socialists, but something else—in any case something which has nothing to do with us." [28] Other scholars believe the young Hitler was strongly influenced, particularly in his racial views, by an abundance of occult works on the mystical superiority of the Germans, like the occult and anti-semitic magazine Ostara, and give credence to the claim of its publisher Lanz von Liebenfels that Hitler visited him in 1909 and praised his work.[29] Indeed, evidence indicates Hitler was a regular reader of Ostara.[30] Drawing on higher criticism and some branches of theologically liberal Protestantism, Hitler for a time advocated for German Christians a Positive Christianity, traditional Christianity purged of everything that he found objectionable and with certain, particularly racist, additions. Hitler never directed his attacks on Jesus himself,[31] but viewed traditional Christianity as a corruption of the original ideas of Jesus, whom Hitler regarded as an Aryan opponent of the Jews.[32] In Mein Kampf Hitler writes that Jesus "made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross.
Re: Hitler And Christianity by vedaxcool(m): 5:42pm On Jul 21, 2010
At the Bürgerbräukeller on April 12, 1922, Hitler said:I would like here to appeal to a greater than I, Count Lerchenfeld. He said in the last session of the Landtag that his feeling 'as a man and a Christian' prevented him from being an anti-Semite. I say: My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. , How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison
Re: Hitler And Christianity by Mudley313: 5:49pm On Jul 21, 2010
@ Bastage. . .i'm sorry i got sucked into such a thread, which have now degenerated into personal insults, with the "my religion is realer than your religion" intention of the poster who ironically belongs to the most savage religion in modern times if not i'd have tried to clarify to your argumentative self better how christian anti-semetism of the time was most likely an unavoidable influence on hitler's. as for mr. vedaxcoolcool, your religion is the dregs of all modern religious indoctrination. . .an outdated stone age arabian religion with a peadophile leader. *spits*

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Fornication Of Yahweh / Pastor Chris Okotie: I Would Have Died Long Time Ago-i Was Poisoned / Catholism- Focus On Relics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.