Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,469 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. (702 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu, Had Already Received Huge Sums Of Money To Purchase Weapons. - DSS / Nnamdi Kanu Received Huge Sums Of Money To Purchase Weapons - DSS / Tompolo Frees Kidnapped Journalists, As Itsekiris Call Jonathan A Coward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by MrFire: 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2010
The kidnapped journalists claimed N3million Naira was stolen from them. But unconfirmed reports say they were lying, that it was actually "N30 million Naira that was given to them by Governor Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State so that they will be disposed to writing positively about the looting, thieving governor". According to victim Wahab Oba, the kidnappers told them they were waiting for them before the kidnapping occured. Someone please help me understand how the N3m could possibly be honestly earned money, so after the visit to the governor the journalists withdrew their salaries from the Akwaibom branch of their bank in order to carry it back to Lagos as cash? Could it be that one of the people who saw the gov give them money (bribe money, I must add) called the kidnappers to lay in wait? Or could it be the governor himself that set the journalists up? Oba and his boys took bribe money and kidnappers got the money from them. Case closed, but not before Akwa Ibom governor and the journalists are made to face serious interrogations. Is there really any innocent Nigerian, apart from me?
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 19, 2010
"N30 million Naira that was given to them by Governor Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State[b] so that they will be disposed to writing positively about the looting, thieving governor[/b]"

Source?
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by MrFire: 5:48pm On Jul 19, 2010
^^^^^
Have you not read on the net that they had money on them? How did they get 3 million (or 30 million, whichever) in cash on them? We know how much journalists are paid in Nigeria and their penchant to collect brown envelopes to be kind to people they write about.
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by EzeUche(m): 6:13pm On Jul 19, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Who carries that amount of money on them? That is not smart nor safe. You are just asking from trouble, and that doesn't matter where you are in the world. You could be in New York and still get robbed if people found out you have that much money on you

Stick up kids as they call robbers in the states are everywhere so only a fool carries that amount of money on them.
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by naso2(m): 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2010
While I am of not sure of the actual sum, I have been curious even with the 3million. We are talking cash here. With the level of coverage of most banks and the ease  to transfer funds, I still find it difficult to understand the justification to carry that much money. Even traders no longer do that, so why should an "enlightened" journalist.

If na bribe money then i will shout "NA GOD CATCH DEM"
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by MrFire: 6:22pm On Jul 19, 2010
na_so:

While I am of not sure of the actual sum, I have been curious even with the 3million. We are talking cash here. With the level of coverage of most banks and the ease to transfer funds, I still find it difficult to understand the justification to carry that much money. Even traders no longer do that, so why should an "enlightened" journalist.

If na bribe money then i will shout "NA GOD CATCH DEM"

There is no other explanation. We know what brown envelope means and Akpabio has been on the spotlight previously in that regard.
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 19, 2010
Mr Fire:

^^^^^
Have you not read on the net that they had money on them? How did they get 3 million (or 30 million, whichever) in cash on them? We know how much  journalists are paid in Nigeria and their penchant to collect brown envelopes to be kind to people they write about.
Yea, I read that #3m was taken from them. . . . but still havent read from A  source where they linked that #3m to a Gov.

This is a VERY serious allegation. Although it's not impossible, but it would be kind of nice to read it from a SOURCE.
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by MrFire: 7:22pm On Jul 19, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, I read that #3m was taken from them. . . . but still havent read from A source where they linked that #3m to a Gov.

This is a VERY serious allegation. Although it's not impossible, but it would be kind of nice to read it from a SOURCE.

''Asked how they came about the N3m, he said, “When we went for the NEC meeting, the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Godswill Akpabio, gave us N1m as fulfilment of his promise to bankroll a national seminar which we had in the state three months ago.

“He also gave each NEC official N100,000 as transport fare. I also had some money on me because I had been travelling recently. Other people had some money on them too''.

Read the full story here http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100719359442

I know they are not saying the whole truth about the money.
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by EmmyBoy2(m): 7:29pm On Jul 19, 2010
Whether its N30m, N3m or N300k, it all does not add up to me. Who in his right senses would logg N3m raw cash through the notorious Aba-Ph expressway? And they are supposed to be journalists who should be better informed about the horrendous crime rate on that axis?
The picture is still not too clear to me.
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 19, 2010
Mr Fire:

''Asked how they came about the N3m, he said, “When we went for the NEC meeting, the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Godswill Akpabio, gave us N1m as fulfilment of his promise to bankroll a national seminar which we had in the state three months ago.

“He also gave each NEC official N100,000 as transport fare. I also had some money on me because I had been travelling recently. Other people had some money on them too''.

Read the full story here http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100719359442

I know they are not saying the whole truth about the money.

Incredible! shocked
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by MrFire: 8:27pm On Jul 19, 2010
^^^^
So what do you think? Any opinions? grin grin
Re: The Kidnapped Journalists Had Huge Sums Of Money On Them. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 19, 2010
Mr Fire:

^^^^
So what do you think? Any opinions? grin grin
Shocked, gives me a lot to think about.

If sth like this can happen, makes me wonder how Nigeria's "19%" employment stats was so low. Nigeria is the [i]419th [/i]wonder of the World

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan$the North / Draw Your Own Conclusion. / More Trouble For Michael Aondoakaa: Why He Was Suspended As San

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.