Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal (43818 Views)

FG Rejects Two Cargoes Of Adulterated Petrol Imported From Belgium / Fuel Price: Again, FG Rejects Govs’ N380/Litre Proposal / JUSUN Rejects Governors’ Proposal, Gives Condition To End Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by emperorblog(m): 5:49pm On Oct 31, 2018
foolish leaders without vision
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by LordAdam16: 5:52pm On Oct 31, 2018
xtravanganza:
I need someone to elaborate more on this topic on how minimum wage affects government projects.
ANYONE!!!!

Ideally, increasing minimum wage should boost consumer spending which leads to increased revenue for businesses and translates to increased taxes (both from businesses and citizens) which should help fund projects and at least make up for the higher wage bill.

But Nigeria is far from ideal. The ratio of recurrent to capital expenditure is at least 70:30. The increased wage bill will increase the recurrent expenditure. And it'd be hard to make up for it because we import most things (capital flight) and people and businesses (SMBs mostly) don't pay taxes. Factor in the inflation that'd occur after the wage increase and the fact that we're barely gaining anything from the increase in oil price after paying for subsidy and FAAC sharing in Abuja; and it is likely, this minimum wage will almost certainly not have a positive effect on government projects.

Nonetheless, the minimum wage increase is overdue. Naira depreciated back in 2015 by almost 50% and inflation has been running non-stop in double figures for the past 3 years. This increase is meant to plug leaks, it wouldn't drastically improve the welfare of workers.

The last minimum wage that GEJ signed off on was from 9k to 18k, a 100% increase. This 18k to 24k increase is around a 35% increase. NLC should have grounded this country since the beginning of 2017.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by sekundosekundo: 5:53pm On Oct 31, 2018
4601CE:

What justice ?
Dude . Fuck_ off!
It’s not my fault that you didn’t go to school

I have seen you and your education.

You think that everybody you see here are your mate and class.

This is how some of you will insult those that might be of help to you tomorrow.

If truly you're erudite as you want me to believe, you'll be careful with your choice of words.

The power to speak does not make you intelligent.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 31, 2018
sekundosekundo:

I have seen you and your education.

You think that everybody you see here are your mate and class.

This is how some of you will insult those that might be of help to you tomorrow.

If truly you're erudite as you want me to believe, you'll be careful with your choice of words.

The power to speak does not make you intelligent.
Oga leave me alone !
I did no insult you in any way !
Go check your dictionary or check google and see what “go to hell” means .
Bye bye !
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by barristerzinny(f): 6:09pm On Oct 31, 2018
jacksondavies:
Meanwhile people still believe this country has a future.

Someone should give me visa to Cape Verde
you don't need visa, to go to Cape Verde. Your visa, will be stamped when you get there.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by rottennaija(m): 6:17pm On Oct 31, 2018
midolian:
Even the N22, 500 is not feasible..it will only result in state governors owing years of salaries..

We are on 18 and many of them are finding it difficult to pay, talk more of 22,500..

With all fairness, my suggestion is that the labour should just agree with them on this 22500, even though its implementation is in the hands of God.

It is. Stop making excuses for them. It really is.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Basher8583: 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2018
jacksondavies:

Funny.

You actually believe that Buhari can fix this country.

During the corrupt Jonathan regime fuel was selling at N65.

During the reign of Mr Integrity it's at N143

Do you know how many jobs were lost during these last 3 years?

Are you blind to the secessionist struggles and killings going on in Nigeria?

Give Buhari from now till 2045 and this country will still be in a mess.
job built on corruption crashed. Simple I still get my own job na.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by dyangprof(m): 6:38pm On Oct 31, 2018
baliyubla:
See the short Devil trying to absolve a FG that insisted on 24k, and even went further to threaten no work no pay.

Just 30k which is 84 freaking dollars, is what the Governors and the FG are trading friendly jabs in an attempt to get labour suckered into accepting less than 30k.

There must be one demon these idiots swear to after taking office, where they pledge to dehumanize Nigerians and keep them in abject penury, or how else can one relate the fact that Nigerian politicians are the richest in the world, while it's workers the poorest.

No mind dat yeye Ngige

See his nose like Buhari Anus

Useless Mofos leaders
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2018
samoney:
send me a message to my email;echosam13@gmail.com
Done sir
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by daddytime(m): 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2018
Gr8amechi:

Send me a DM asap we need to talk

You got mail
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by otipoju(m): 7:06pm On Oct 31, 2018
baliyubla:
See the short Devil trying to absolve a FG that insisted on 24k, and even went further to threaten no work no pay.

Just 30k which is 84 freaking dollars, is what the Governors and the FG are trading friendly jabs in an attempt to get labour suckered into accepting less than 30k.

There must be one demon these idiots swear to after taking office, where they pledge to dehumanize Nigerians and keep them in abject penury, or how else can one relate the fact that Nigerian politicians are the richest in the world, while it's workers the poorest.

My brother i just shake my head. This people are evil to the core.

In USA an unskilled worker will still earn $1200 a month. How can a man raise a family on 84 $ a month.

Then that skinny old thief will be telling Nigerians not to migrate abroad.

Funny thing is that the cost of living is very expensive.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by spearszed: 7:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
In 2015, a candidate used the promise of paying minimum wage to ride to power as against the incumbent who was being cautious of the affordability of the new wage.

Few months into power, the new man rescinded on his promise and no one talked about paying minimum wage again.

2019 is around the corner. The need for upward review of what should be minimum way has been imminent for a long time now but I doubt it's a coincidence that it's put on the table now.

Workers can use this time to secure a good deal for themselves. Contenders can use the promise of making the workers happy to ride to power,putting the incumbent in a very tight corner. With all these in mind, there's great need to face reality.

But reality is subjective,different for different people. For the worker, realistically, 18k is crap. For the politician, what would be left in the barrel if the lowliest worker receives "as much as" 30k.

Haba, una no wan First Lady to rub MaryKay again and carry 800k handbag?

The demand for wage increase by the workers are not unfounded given the current state of the economy. The refusal or maybe reluctance of the Govt to oblige them is not either.

Sadly, these divergent realities must converge for our ministry to move forward. More sad is the reality that whatever is agreed upon now may not see implementation. Considering that we are not new to Union agreements reached with the Govt that was rescinded.

Not necessarily because of deceit or insincerity on the part of the Govt, but because of real inability to fulfill obligations and demands that was shoved down their throat by unflinching trade unionist.

But unflinching trade unionists do not remain unflinching forever. At best, their demands are met and everything becomes alright. This rarely happens tho. Worse,their demands end when agreements are reached, agreements outside the best interest of the group they claim to represent.

Sometimes their demands end when money change hands. We have watched that happen many times before.

In the end,wetin we gain?

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 31, 2018
jacksondavies:

Funny.

You actually believe that Buhari can fix this country.

During the corrupt Jonathan regime fuel was selling at N65.

During the reign of Mr Integrity it's at N143

Do you know how many jobs were lost during these last 3 years?

Are you blind to the secessionist struggles and killings going on in Nigeria?

Give Buhari from now till 2045 and this country will still be in a mess.
Nigerians Really Amaze Me.They Are Smart But Also Stupid.Any1 Still Supporting Buhari Has Brain Impairement.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by tempest01(m): 7:20pm On Oct 31, 2018
daddytime:
Most times when I come online and see the "sai babarisms and atikulatings" from the so-called youths and assumed leaders of tomorrow I just shake my head in repulse and I'm forced to believe there won't be any redemption from the present quagmire any time soon.

We go clapping for and insulting each other over people who care less about the present conditions because it obviously favours them and their wards, and have precariously positioned their offspring to take over from where ever they'd be hanging their boots from.

Perhaps Y'all will continue sai babaing and atikulating their children as well after their fathers have successfully ruled over your fathers and eaten into your time and future before passing on the baton to their wards to finish off that which they had started.

Whoever thinks these our present crop of leaders will visit the constitution as it is presently for a tweak must be joking. This is so because it was deliberately arranged that way to favour them at the corridors of power.

The youths of this country have got to rise up and quit being lame-sitting ducks and internet warriors. Let's come together, collapse whatever mushroom youth associations all around the country into one firm and solid movement that can give these guys a good run for their money and make them realise we are truly prepared to take over governance. When they say the youths aren't prepared, it isn't just a mere say, it is indeed a fact judging from how so beat-down and docile they have rendered us technically and otherwise. They know what they have done to us and our morale but its time we took the bull by the horns.

In my opinion, we should let them have this election seeing how we aren't in the mix by any stretch, but we can begin to prepare from now and the next four years to take over with no negotiations.

The next four years is enough for us to get under a solid youth body comprising of youths from every region, religion, social class, etc and set up a mock constitution review panel. This panel should study the present constitution to strip it of every and all the rubbish contents imputed to benefit and protect the enemies of the state. Every clause relating to immunity, security votes etc should be expunged from the constitution. The humongous allowances for NA members would be cut down to the barest and true separation of powers entrenched in our new constitution. The judiciary would be looked into as well to correct all the anomalies that have rendered our justice system to favour the highest bidders and find ways to expedite dispatch of judicial matters.

Our military and paramilitary would be looked into as well to position them for their profession and not a willing tool for the political class to suppress and oppress the opposition.

Strip the rubbish called constitution a draft a new one we shall all agree on to control whatever is left of our future with and have a country to bequeath to our children while they continue improving on the constitution to suit their times as generations proceed.

If we can do this, trust me we would have an idea on the direction we intend going with a new Nigeria and also have a campaign manifesto for the next election. You can imagine being able to galvanize a good number of youths from now until the next election in four years time who can contribute a minimum of 1000# to a potential war chest to match these thieves on the campaign trail.

We can do it if we are willing we just need to quit with allowing ourselves get distracted by the same old wines in fresh bottles. It's the same old same.

The matter dey tire person abeg.

This has always been in my mind. Herein lies the only solution to our problems. The earlier the better.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by simplekalu88(m): 7:25pm On Oct 31, 2018
4601CE:

Go to hell!
Our dear Country will be well.
Dreamer
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2018
midolian:
Even the N22, 500 is not feasible..it will only result in state governors owing years of salaries..

We are on 18 and many of them are finding it difficult to pay, talk more of 22,500..

With all fairness, my suggestion is that the labour should just agree with them on this 22500, even though its implementation is in the hands of God.

Name was ooo Yet Naija senators dey collect 50 Million per month minus bribe abi.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Kolping: 7:42pm On Oct 31, 2018
A few days ago, the UK government announced its budget for next year.
The national living wage will increase from £7.83 to £8.21 for workers aged 25 and over.
The minimum wage will also rise from £7.38 to £7.70 from 21 to 24-year-olds;
from £5.90 to £6.15 for 18 to 20-year-olds; and
from £4.20 to £4.35 for 16 to 17-year-olds.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by J2381: 7:44pm On Oct 31, 2018
Definitely not mine. I know what family planning is, bro.
midolian:
Our "manhoods"
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by bilulu(m): 8:04pm On Oct 31, 2018
midolian:
I am only being realistic bro...

You must know that states differ from states. Agreeing to pay the proposed 30k does not guarantee they will pay.. neither does it guaranty they will stop using our commonwealth for personal gains..

Btw a Government that agrees to pay 30k minimum wage but owes salaries and a Government that disagrees with a 30k minimum wage, continues to pay 18k minimum wage but never owes salaries..

Which would you prefer?

Do you know that states like Kwara, till this moment don't still pay the 18k minimum wage? A Bsc holder working for the state government here still collects 33-34k ?
you re right bro.... states differ reason d only way forward is restructuring so dat every state can do wat dey re capable of not one state holding another state back. Lagos state can pay more dan 30k but because Zamfara can't pay dat amount Lagos workers will suffer dat set back, same with revenue generation. Governors don't look beyond oil money n double taxation dey inflict on their poor citizens.... God help us
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by princetom1(m): 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2018
midolian:

Please u should accept 22k5 monthly and let's see if u will have money to buy data to come type this next month.... We talking about people who are very wicked here... They and their family are living lavishly, diverting funds, looting and someone here just asking for his right and u saying he should accept peanut....
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by princetom1(m): 8:12pm On Oct 31, 2018
Kolping:
The national living wage will increase from £7.83 to £8.21 for workers aged 25 and over.

This is per hour o and here we are debating nonsensical nonsense
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by daddytime(m): 8:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
tempest01:

This has always been in my mind. Herein lies the only solution to our problems. The earlier the better.

My brother, with this idea na sharp sharp matter and they'd realise we mean business.

Spend this four years studying them and tinkering with the present constitution or redrafting it to suit our desires for a better country on a clean slate. By the time the next election comes, we'd have been armed enough with a constitution to campaign and function with. There'd be no negotiations, it would be how we want it or we set the country upside down.

In fact, make I go cool off small. Una dey use una papa head play kalo kalo
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by pryme(m): 8:32pm On Oct 31, 2018
spearszed:
In 2015, a candidate used the promise of paying minimum wage to ride to power as against the incumbent who was being cautious of the affordability of the new wage.

Few months into power, the new man rescinded on his promise and no one talked about paying minimum wage again.

2019 is around the corner. The need for upward review of what should be minimum way has been imminent for a long time now but I doubt it's a coincidence that it's put on the table now.

Workers can use this time to secure a good deal for themselves. Contenders can use the promise of making the workers happy to ride to power,putting the incumbent in a very tight corner. With all these in mind, there's great need to face reality.

But reality is subjective,different for different people. For the worker, realistically, 18k is crap. For the politician, what would be left in the barrel if the lowliest worker receives "as much as" 30k.

Haba, una no wan First Lady to rub MaryKay again and carry 800k handbag?

The demand for wage increase by the workers are not unfounded given the current state of the economy. The refusal or maybe reluctance of the Govt to oblige them is not either.

Sadly, these divergent realities must converge for our ministry to move forward. More sad is the reality that whatever is agreed upon now may not see implementation. Considering that we are not new to Union agreements reached with the Govt that was rescinded.

Not necessarily because of deceit or insincerity on the part of the Govt, but because of real inability to fulfill obligations and demands that was shoved down their throat by unflinching trade unionist.

But unflinching trade unionists do not remain unflinching forever. At best, their demands are met and everything becomes alright. This rarely happens tho. Worse,their demands end when agreements are reached, agreements outside the best interest of the group they claim to represent.

Sometimes their demands end when money change hands. We have watched that happen many times before.

In the end,wetin we gain?

I think we need more powerful institutions, not just NLC and The Trade Unions alone.
It's not enough to "force" Government to pay the new minimum wage, owing of salaries should also be on their front burner of calling out strikes.
They should present facts and figures to government to let them know they have no excuse not to pay.
These greedy Governors use all this Grey areas to siphon the state treasury.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Kolping: 8:34pm On Oct 31, 2018
Nigeria hasn't even started yet...it's still all a joke to the people who own the country.

princetom1:

This is per hour o and here we are debating nonsensical nonsense

Kolping:

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by SEXYBILLIONAIRE(m): 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2018
i still stand by my point that any amount above 8k minimum wage is too much for idiots. i have come to find out that nigeria is a country populated with idiots. if you are not idiots, you will never scream Buhari to come back or even talk of voting for atiku.the fact that you all keep screaming these 2 names is proof that you are idiots. and idiots don't deserve good pay. most of the idiots i know got wise after being subjected to poverty and suffering. FG please reduce their current pay to 8k minimum wage till they receive sense. please after reducing it, owe them for at least 6 months and make sure you increase prices of goods. if you can do this before end of this year, i will raise funds to campaign for you
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Tejiriseth(m): 8:49pm On Oct 31, 2018
Soo Your best reply is a cartoon Illustration.? You must be living in Dreamland . . .
4601CE:
Go to hell! Our dear Country will be well.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Haddock(m): 9:29pm On Oct 31, 2018
4601CE:

Go to hell!
Our dear Country will be well.
That's the spirit, bro.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 31, 2018
jacksondavies:

Were you in Congo all this while?

Fuel sold at N65 for a while under Jonathan before he raised the price.

When he left fuel was selling at N87.

The difference between N87 and N143 is clear.
What was the price as at May 29 2015, that's where you should quote and stop being a tool.
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by mayordj4real: 10:48pm On Oct 31, 2018
Strange country
Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by highbee02: 12:04am On Nov 01, 2018
midolian:

Kwara is not even paying 18

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Rejects Governors’ N22,500 Minimum Wage Proposal by Okoroawusa: 1:01am On Nov 01, 2018
Am in support of labor.

Government can pay 30k.Let's reduce salaries of political office holders especially salaries n allowances of National Assembly members, States HoA members n security votes of the President n governors.

It takes political will.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

INEC's New Chairman 'Mahmud Yakubu': 4 Important Things To Know About / Nollywood Actors In Imo For Ihedioha's Inauguration (Photos) / Governor Seyi Makinde Shares His Family Pyjamas Christmas Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.