Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? (4206 Views)

Crazy Request A Fan Posted On Dangote's Twitter Handle(screenshot) / Why Is It Difficult for Nigerians To Pay For Services Rendered? / Three AMCON Banks Get New Bosses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 9:18pm On Jul 19, 2010
My girlfriend's boss is soooo insensitive, intolorable, wicked, emotionless, and acts inhuman most of the time. how exactly can she handle such a person without quitting her job?
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by laplace(m): 8:52am On Jul 20, 2010
@Poster. You need to have an understanding of human emotions. Bosses sometimes are like that, and you may not have as many choices as you would love to. There are no jobs and some may even love their jobs so much that they don't want to quit. Your girl friend needs to understand what makes her manager wicked or callous. Do they share the same office? Do they share the same cars? Do they run the same projects? etc. If the relationship is just a matter of manager to reports, she should keep the guy at an arms length. She could make the guy know how she feels if the relationship is more than just manager-reports without complaining. My manager shared his experience with his former manager with me one day, and I think it's a smart way to communicate to your manager. It was during the annual appraisal and rating exercise and when asked to rate himself (even though he was a top talent), he rated himself as 3- (least, on probation). It sent a clear message to the proud that something was amiss. It may work with some, but may not work with all managers. She might need to combine her efforts with prayers.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by kobikwelu(m): 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2010
*****************prayers******************
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by Angelfish1(f): 12:39pm On Jul 20, 2010
Tell her to read the book "48 Laws of power"!!
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by ricky01: 12:50pm On Jul 20, 2010
same is happening to my babe now at de office where she`s doing are i t. her immediate boss is asking her out,the dg is asking her out, i told i 1 thing,,,,,just be your self it normal with men to toast,and a man wouldnt force u against ur wish,even when he shout,talk to him politely,,make him see reason why he`s like a father to you, my own boossss at tymes i just feel like teling him i dont want to work again,,but watin man go do, my sister just be patient,
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by matiltomd(f): 12:55pm On Jul 20, 2010
We all have them, I think it's advisable to act like you don't know more than your boss (not like you stupid or something). 48 Laws of Power might work and at the same time might get you kicked out;especially when your boss has read it and uses it well, But if your girlfriend is like me who can't fight;I'll advise her to quit. But how many jobs will she quit?  undecided undecided
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 1:01pm On Jul 20, 2010
i think i've seen some really interesting replies here. prayers are really compulsory. trust me, we always put the boss in our prayers and we also have friends holding novenas for her. it's as serious as that. the boss anyway is a lady and its really little wonder that she's not married yet. she's just too,
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 1:10pm On Jul 20, 2010
matiltom_d:

We all have them, I think it's advisable to act like you don't know more than your boss (not like you silly or something). 48 Laws of Power might work and at the same time might get you kicked out;especially when your boss has read it and uses it well, But if your girlfriend is like me who can't fight;I'll advise her to quit. But how many jobs will she quit?  undecided undecided

my girlfriend has used this tactic but it ain't working. instead it brings some kind of insults. as for reading the book, i don't think i'll advise her to do that. in fact, someone (a colleague) actually told the boss to her face that her subordinates and fellow colleagues delebrately avoid her and are scared of her because of her behavior but she said she doesnt care about anyone as long as she gets what she wants.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by MissyB1(m): 1:30pm On Jul 20, 2010
Avoid boss as much as possible, do what You ought to do and do it right, be tolerant.
While at it, search for sum'n' better. That way, You can quit when You think can't put up with his wahala anymore.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by minute(f): 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2010
I would tape her in action and play it loudly back back at her.If

she doesn't want to listen to it . . . perhaps HR would??

OR

Print this and leave it on her desk, anonimously!
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by damilola15: 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2010
tell her to quit before she is fire because the advise I have can kill the boss. grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by yuslakay(m): 2:20pm On Jul 20, 2010
@poster, to my opinion, i fink bosses being difficult sometimes depend on d attitude of dat staff toward his boss or how he discharge his/her duties might not be to d satisfactory  to dat boss, ok now if i know my duties n i do it  meticulous, so der is no room 4 d boss to scold me, or better still maybe d is trying to see if she can work under pressure or ve a good plan 4her, neva can telllllll,
, hhhhmmmmmm, some ladie wouldnt come out dat dey ve been sleeping around with der bosses, sooooo
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by canuck(m): 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2010
Angel fish:

Tell her to read the book "48 Laws of power"!!

Over the bar! While there are some nuggets in 48 Laws of Power, the book has its foundation in the discredited principles of Niccolò Machiavelli.

E.g. Machiavelli believes "It's better to be feared than loved." That sounds like the boss already!!! undecided

@ Topic

Is her boss just an a**hole to everyone, or is this targeted at your GF?
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by softgirl1: 3:00pm On Jul 20, 2010
I quiet understand what your G/F is going through i ones had a terible boss infact those days when am coming to work i use to weep on the street, if he sees me talking to any guy(before i got married) the next thing is to call me to his office and start showting that am dating the guy and at time he will even tell the guy to leave me alone, when i was preparing for my wedding he gave me hell of trouble he refused to approve my leave after wedding when i was pregant he gave me several quaries cos of antinetal the one that finaly got me mad was when i had my daughter i beg a colique to help me draft application letter for my maternity leave he collected the letter tear it and told dem to bring it back to me and said i should come to the office to apply my self i got so mad that i deep my hand in the blood that was coming out from my private part went naked and told God that in 2weeks that man will losse his job cos i was frustrated, a week latter he got into trouble and before i resum maternity leave he was sacked he latter called me to apologize what am saying is that your g/f should cry to God in prayers and if she pays her tithe she should provock God with that she will see wat God will do to that animal boss of her shocked

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by titsqueez(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2010
@ soft girl

u wickedoo, for a soft girl wetin u do na only hard girls fit do am. . chei
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by vanlion(f): 3:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
Hi my ppl. My boss in our office is very harsh n wicked he brings his handkerchief n ask us to wash it 4 him.The one that surprised me is when he brought dity frm home n asked one of us to go n throw it away for him.He called himself pastor. Nairalanders is it good?. This man insult us as if we are not human beings.God will help us all.Amen.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by kufreabasi(m): 4:02pm On Jul 20, 2010
maurchy:

My girlfriend's boss is soooo insensitive, intolorable, wicked, emotionless, and acts inhuman most of the time. how exactly can she handle such a person without quitting her job?

@ poster,
Why not go for kidnapping?
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by d7thcaller: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2010
wooh, soft girl you strong oooooh! . Admire u faith though!
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by JOKYTECH(f): 4:14pm On Jul 20, 2010
@poster
I was in thesame shoes as ur girl friend when I started my own job. Mine was even very difficult because the person that left before me was actually dating him (my boss) and I became angry at her when I discovered that she was cos she use to be my friend. I was really maltreated to the extend that I do hide my tears in the office, when the shouting and insults comes. so it was not really easy for me, cos my boss is a f, t. So bro, its not new any longer, any boss of the opposite sex that finds fault on every issue, shouts at every little mistake, shows inhumanity on some issues, is actually looking for something. So therefore, the strategy I used to conquer him was that:
1.  I dress modestly to the office (i.e not very short skirts cos he likes short skirts and I also use light make-ups)
2.  Behave as if I dont know anything by not contributing to any single discussion in the office when he is around
3.  I became very efficient and effective in my work (am a secretary, so I do my typing and other jobs quickly than he expected)
4.  I attach curtsy to any of his instruction am to carry out
5.  And above all, I do pray for him not to ever see me and want me and dat I should be ugly in his eyes

so tell ur babe to apply these, cos they really helped me and I think he is tired of abusing me now instead, we are now friends and now when he comes in the morning he would say "hw are u?" and sometimes smile.

so don't be worried, though my own boyfriend was worried too but we overcome all

cheers
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maxtop(m): 5:18pm On Jul 20, 2010
Report him/her to EFCC, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maxtop(m): 5:20pm On Jul 20, 2010
van lion:

Hi my ppl. My boss in our office is very harsh n wicked he brings his handkerchief n ask us to wash it 4 him.The one that surprised me is when he brought dity frm home n asked one of us to go n throw it away for him.He called himself pastor. Nairalanders is it good?. This man insult us as if we are not human beings.God will help us all.Amen.
U and ur colleague are under his spell. Mat GOD see you thru
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by kobikwelu(m): 5:21pm On Jul 20, 2010

lawd have mercy
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 5:26pm On Jul 20, 2010
JOKYTECH:

@poster
I was in thesame shoes as your girl friend when I started my own job. Mine was even very difficult because the person that left before me was actually dating him (my boss) and I became angry at her when I discovered that she was cos she use to be my friend. I was really maltreated to the extend that I do hide my tears in the office, when the shouting and insults comes. so it was not really easy for me, cos my boss is a f, t. So bro, its not new any longer, any boss of the opposite gender that finds fault on every issue, shouts at every little mistake, shows inhumanity on some issues, is actually looking for something. So therefore, the strategy I used to conquer him was that:
1.  I dress modestly to the office (i.e not very short skirts cos he likes short skirts and I also use light make-ups)
2.  Behave as if I dont know anything by not contributing to any single discussion in the office when he is around
3.  I became very efficient and effective in my work (am a secretary, so I do my typing and other jobs quickly than he expected)
4.  I attach curtsy to any of his instruction am to carry out
5.  And above all, I do pray for him not to ever see me and want me and dat I should be ugly in his eyes

so tell your babe to apply these, cos they really helped me and I think he is tired of abusing me now instead, we are now friends and now when he comes in the morning he would say "hw are u?" and sometimes smile.

so don't be worried, though my own boyfriend was worried too but we overcome all

cheers

the funniest thing is that the boss is also female so it's definitely not a case of sexual harassment or whatever.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 5:28pm On Jul 20, 2010
@ kufreabasi: kidnapping? i no get that liver ooo. it's not an option.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 5:30pm On Jul 20, 2010
canuck:

Over the bar! While there are some nuggets in 48 Laws of Power, the book has its foundation in the discredited principles of Niccolò Machiavelli.

E.g. Machiavelli believes "It's better to be feared than loved." That sounds like the boss already!!! undecided

@ Topic

Is her boss just an a**hole to everyone, or is this targeted at your GF?

the boss is definitely an a**hole to everyone. though they just have to stomach all the bullshit. but there is an extent to which some actions can be tolerated don't you think?
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by Nymphnode(m): 7:52pm On Jul 20, 2010
I used to think my boss was a jerk until I changed my attitude toward work. Now I'm efficient and I always think ahead of him. I'm only saying its possible the boss does not like your girlfriends attitude toward work and he/she may find it hard correcting her or maybe he/she is tired of repeating the same corrections day in day out.

That's seeing it from another angle.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 20, 2010
^^^

I think I agree with you!

I had the same problem with my boss. He had a reputation for firing faster than he hires. After working with him for a couple of months I realized that nothing puts him off like incompetence. So I buckled up! Now we dont fight half as much as we used to.

@ Poster

you really dont need to look to far to know what your GF's boss' problem is. It's a feminine war, It's quite common actually especially when the boss is much older and single!

Your GF might also be a bit insolent without intending to. Most women in authority usually beleive they need to be extra tough to gain respect . . especially when they are not married.

your GF needs to first of all put in extra effort into her job. Then she should try and get the woman on her side. Do things for her, surprise her with a gift, offer to help he with some extra job. Just be generally nice. No one likes to fight!

she needs to show her boss that she's a friend and not a foe!
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by eros(m): 12:46am On Jul 21, 2010
[b]
soft girl:

I quiet understand what your G/F is going through i ones had a terible boss infact those days when am coming to work i use to weep on the street, if he sees me talking to any guy(before i got married) the next thing is to call me to his office and start showting that am dating the guy and at time he will even tell the guy to leave me alone, when i was preparing for my wedding he gave me hell of trouble he refused to approve my leave after wedding when i was pregant he gave me several quaries cos of antinetal the one that finaly got me mad was when i had my daughter i beg a colique to help me draft application letter for my maternity leave he collected the letter tear it and told dem to bring it back to me and said i should come to the office to apply my self i got so mad that i deep my hand in the blood that was coming out from my private part went unclothed and told God that in 2weeks that man will losse his job cos i was frustrated, a week latter he got into trouble and before i resum maternity leave he was sacked he latter called me to apologize what am saying is that your g/f should cry to God in prayers and if she pays her tithe she should provock God with that she will see wat God will do to that animal boss of her shocked

Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked[/b]
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by softgirl1: 8:50am On Jul 21, 2010
@ every body, I am not as bad as you tink but i pray u don't get push to the wall you won't know you could take some actions untill you get to the wall that boss of mine was a horible experince everybody in the department he headed then celebrated when he left cos alot of people lost thier jobs cos of that man he was always looking for people's down fall wat i am saying is that if you are a boss learn to treat people the way u would want to be treated and note: that you are in that position is only a previledge my new boss now we are getting along very well she is even a woman and she is like a sister and the job is going,
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 9:24am On Jul 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

^^^

@ Poster

you really dont need to look to far to know what your GF's boss' problem is. It's a feminine war, It's quite common actually especially when the boss is much older and single!

Your GF might also be a bit insolent without intending to. Most women in authority usually beleive they need to be extra tough to gain respect . . especially when they are not married.

your GF needs to first of all put in extra effort into her job. Then she should try and get the woman on her side. Do things for her, surprise her with a gift, offer to help he with some extra job. Just be generally nice. No one likes to fight!

she needs to show her boss that she's a friend and not a foe!

i doubt this statement. you know some people have fighting as thier hobby.
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by pharuk: 9:27am On Jul 21, 2010
am facing the same problem here, my boss is scottish and my first few months I could not hear her as well as she cld not hear me, so when she delegates to me, try my best to catch EVERYTHN she says and when I don't get and explain I don't understand, she does get my accent either. So I end up with not a perfect job.
She proved to the board of trustees dt I was useless and was earning to much, and I fell 4d trap,
I tried stepping up to her, bt I lost d battle now I will be leaving next week.

Believe God For another now,
Re: How Do You Handle Difficult Bosses? by maurchy: 9:33am On Jul 21, 2010
@ soft girl:
you have a point. some people have actually been sacked because of the boss and i am 200% sure that her subordinates will be verrrrrrrrrrrrry pleased if she leaves today. there was a time she was sick and was out of the office for a long period. everyone was sooo happy, there was peace of mind and still the work went smoothly enough even more than when she's in the office.
i don't think i'd like to be in a position in life where those around me detest me so much that they are extremely pleased when i'm ill and will be praying for me never to recover from sickness just so they won't see me in the office.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm A Graduate And Not Yet Employed.need A Business Idea With 500k Cash At Hand. / Dealdey Shuts Down Operations In Nigeria / I Need Help With Barter Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.