Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,169 members, 7,864,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:52 AM

Which Way Nigeria? Our Nation At A Crossroad. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Way Nigeria? Our Nation At A Crossroad. (249 Views)

New Year Day: President Tinubu To Address The Nation At 7am / June 12: President Buhari Will Broadcast To The Nation At 7am On Democracy Day / President Buhari To Address The Nation At 8pm Tonight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Which Way Nigeria? Our Nation At A Crossroad. by thecolumnist: 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2018
That Nigeria is at crossroads on its journey to become a developed and industrialized nation is no news at all - in fact she has been there for a long time. Being at such a juncture where other nations have come, observed and taken paths that have payed-off should have been enough impetus for us to learn from; but alas we haven’t. We have stayed put despite urgings from all and sundry. Our nation has been held hostage by many-a-proclivities; religion, region, tribe and many other ills that many wander if we may survive the stranglehold of all these – however I feel we yet may. We have stayed put even when military, democratic and now milito-democratic waters pass under the bridge at this crossroads.
However, never have Nigerians been at such a point of despair. Never have our people been this frustrated. At no time before now has being a nationalist and desirer of a better Nigeria been a difficult concept to achieve (to the point where speaking out makes one an endangered soul). Before now we looked to the next decade to achieve industrialized Nigeria. But if the status quo remains, our thought should turn to somewhere towards the end of the century. We hear "change must begin with the people", yet the leaders make us see how unrealistic this could be.
We now watch as leaders ‘stand up’, collect dollars and put in their baban-riga - yet their followers have no food to eat. We now see how our president who should be a uniting force ceremonially wears attires of other ethnic nationalities only when its campaign time. I am not saying this is the utmost test of leadership; but I dare say it speaks a lot. Above all never has human lives been this cheap, we hear of killings and dying for no just cause. This narrative becomes glaring, if we were to assume ours as a nation of 30 million souls (let’s say Ghana) - a tenth of this population is already gone. This narrative helps us see the dire straits Nigeria is in. Never have we been this disunited - go on social media and you will tell. Never have we been this hungry - go on the streets and you will see. Never have we been this tired of home - go to the embassies and you will confirm.
The presidential candidate of the APC in 2014 came campaigning. However, what Nigeria’s youths did say was and is still there to read - 'we know our nation is progressing albeit slowly, but we want progress faster'. This man of integrity did state unequivocally that he understood - but he lied and he still does. He did not understand at all. He did not and still does not understand that what he is offering today is not what the youths clamoured for. These new brigade of Nigerians are desperate for survival, self-expression and want progress while remaining in their country. Obviously and unfortunately; he does not understand that NPOWER is not it, neither is TraderMoney it.
We are seeking a nation were trade is truly liberalized - where youths can truly 'manufacture' not consume. I must emphasize that this government's idea of solutions is highly misplaced. We don’t want monthly hand-outs (which is even likely to stop after the elections). We want an investment climate driven by policies that allow citizens to access financing in novel ways. That’s how you spur production which is what we need at the moment. When this government came up with the NPOWER idea, i just knew they were not ready to achieve anything. I have since been proven right. For God sake what is the point of putting young and agile Nigerians on a payroll for work which may or may not be carried out. Worst still these participants were enrolled and many scarcely paid up until recently. The result is that indolent, disgruntled and unwilling entrepreneurs are raised. Do you want to talk about the Fadama-GUYS - that’s another lie, Youwin Connect - another lie. These clearly point to the fact that leadership with foresight is still a commodity lacking along the corridors of power. We have yet come to another critical point in national decision making. A time to choose a new national leader and with it a new direction. For me it is not a difficult decision to make; however it still is for many. Thus this shall be for me the first of many write-ups aimed at motivating Nigerians towards the goal of a better Nigeria.
I must state that I have learnt in a hard way that a person's integrity and public perception has only so much to do with good, purposeful and all-encompassing leadership. But more with well imbibed capacity and hands-on experience to deliver. For this I must thank President Muhammadu Buhari - his life and antecedents have taught me and many others a good lesson; a lesson in not using looks as a yard stick for integrity.
In furtherance I make to impress that, it has all to do with practicality - hands that have proven their mettle in personal and public capacity. And this is why my presidential pick at this time is Alhaji Atiku Abubakar. I have learnt that there is no substitute to tested hands. This i got to learn from the build-up to the last United States of America presidential election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and what is currently playing out economically for that nation. This gentleman who is today rejuvenating America's economy with jobs was called all forms of names - from Corrupt to Tax Defaulter. However today the result is there to see.
Nigeria needs restructuring - political, fiscal and in many other forms. This the candidate of the People's Democratic Party has championed. However, I am not quick to sum that he has the best formula for restructuring - that bridge we would cross through state and national legislation.
Beneficial restructuring and reforms is what we want and what we must get. I cannot vouch for his person at this time (as people change), but i can his ideas - time will tell of the rest. But be rest assured that the consensus of like minds is that we will work to see him emerge and if he fails to deliver - we will throw him out. Being an incurable patriot has led me to assess the development and industrialization offerings of all sides of the political coin; and the resolution is to stick by this champion of restructuring. Because we are tired and fed up with the status quo. In so doing, I am currently canvassing for the election of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar - this i will do locally at the grassroots and internationally. We shall debate others with cold hard facts and my write-up here and on other platform will see to this. We are prepared to take the destiny of our dear country by force, this we shall continue to do without apology. But for the now we are with Atiku

source: https://twitter.com/icolumnist

1 Like

Re: Which Way Nigeria? Our Nation At A Crossroad. by 4thestate: 5:13pm On Nov 01, 2018
Hmm. This Oga don talk am finish

1 Like

Re: Which Way Nigeria? Our Nation At A Crossroad. by selectedhero(m): 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2018
You have said it, however will Buhari supporters accept plain truth when they hear it?

(1) (Reply)

New Minimum Wage: We Are Not Aware Of Any Court Judgment, Strike Inevitable – NL / A Rejoinder Re- Bishop Nwokolo And Rest Of Us / Atiku Abubakar Admits To Not Handling Electricity Properly When He Was In Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.