Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

ITIL In Your Organisation -How Effective - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ITIL In Your Organisation -How Effective (752 Views)

I Can Help Your Organisation Grow. You Need ME. / Please View My Curriculum Vitae And Consider Me for A Job In Your Organisation / How Effective? CIPS Cert & Supply Chain Mgt With Oil/gas Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ITIL In Your Organisation -How Effective by cecegorz(m): 9:39am On Jul 20, 2010
So much has been said about OGC's ITIL framework for delivering top class customer centric IT services in organisations.
I want us to x-ray the adoption, implementation and effectiveness of such in your organisation. Over there in the UK, implementation is simply a given, Can we say the same here in Nigeria?

Let me give you a scenario, some times when you walk into a banking hall, you see staff milling around trying to fix one or two things while customers are lined up, waiting in frustration as nobody could promptly attend to them. Most times they implore you to just hold on as the 'network is down'. Most of us has heard that that bad news as many times over.

Another scenario; you heard a jingle about an interesting offer from your GSM provider and you just liked it and pronto! you have subscribed, only to discover that frustrating service disruptions could not allow you enjoy the particular service.

To a lay man, the above scenarios could simply be termed 'bad/no network' but sometimes truth is it is much more than just network issues.
The issues could actually range from bad/improper implementation or management of a change process, poor capacity planning, poor sevice strategy development, etc.

For working professionals, lets discuss the challenges/gains of implementation in our organisations right here!
Re: ITIL In Your Organisation -How Effective by cecegorz(m): 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2010
Come on guys? Where are the O and Gs, telcos, bankers et al. How is ITIL changing the face of your service delivery?
Re: ITIL In Your Organisation -How Effective by AjanleKoko: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2010
^^
Sorry jare, we no see your post earlier ni.

The truth is, there are a number of constraints hampering the effective deployment of ITIL standards and practices, as well as other best practices, standards and frameworks that are widely in operation somewhere else.
Some that I see in many Nigerian organizations are as follows:

1. Poor organizational discipline, from planning right through to implementation and commissioning of projects that are IT-dependent, that leads to IT not able to keep to their vision and plan their activities accordingly.

2. Lack of management maturity in the IT organization. That affects the focus on service delivery. Sometimes, IT Managers use ITIL and other standards as defensive tools to maintain some kind of 'relevance' in their own eyes.

3. The IT organization in Nigeria don't have a grip on the technology, and are almost always at the mercy of vendors. Vendors working in Africa and especially Nigeria don't really keep to international standards when deploying their solutions. This is always due to corruption.

4. Inherent infrastructure challenges: Power, scalable and cost-efficient telecom connectivity, security, environmental issues, those problems peculiar to the Nigerian environment, which tend to creep up on you.

5. Resource constraints: Nigeria has manpower, yes, but not skilled manpower. Has some reasonable impact.

6. Government influence. With a government that functions more as an albatross than an enabler, we're seriously challenged in Naija. In other parts of the globe, especially in the UK where ITIL comes from, government drives adoption and implementation of IT standards. In Nigeria, well. . . unless you want to look at private companies who want to leverage best practices to make their business efficient. Even these people run into problems when faced with the Naija challenges.

That's all I can think of for now.
Re: ITIL In Your Organisation -How Effective by funmilolapepple: 8:17am On Nov 18, 2016
so is it advisable to still get an ITIL certification considering all this limitations stated here-in?

(1) (Reply)

The Happiest Professionals / Qualified With Banking Experience! - Job Opening / Help! I Need Industrial Training Placement In Any Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.