Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,704 members, 7,862,209 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:22 AM

Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education (555 Views)

No Allowance For Officials On Foreign Medical Treatment – FG / $1m On Foreign Trips: Fayose Can Say ‘ Whatever He Likes’ – Buhari / APC Activist Omojuwa Criticises Buhari Government. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by rebranded(m): 5:36pm On Jul 20, 2010
Olusegun Mimiko, the Ondo State governor, yesterday lamented the huge amount of money Nigerians spend on schooling in countries like United Kingdom and United States and said it was enough to develop the nation’s educational system.

Mr. Mimiko said this at the opening ceremony of the capacity building workshop for newly recruited staff of the state ministry of education quality assurance agency at Ade Super Hotel in Ondo. He said it was a pity that Nigerians are spending money to acquire knowledge in developed countries of the world at the detriment of the nation’s education system.

He said, “If you have opportunity to be at the airport when Nigerian students are travelling to UK for studies, you will marvel at the large number of students planning to travel out for their education.”

Rather, Mr. Mimiko challenged government at all levels to place special emphasis on the development of infrastructural facilities in public institutions from primary to tertiary level.

He noted that kidnapping and other criminal acts will continue unabated if government failed to place special emphasis on manpower development, saying the nation will continue to lag behind among nations, if workers are not given adequate training.

According to him, apart from Sub-Shara Africa, which is still lagging behind in terms of technological advancement and infrastructural development, other continents have continued to move forward.

More funds needed in government schools

He advised that more fund should be allocated for the development of infrastructure in various government owned institutions, so that they can be at par with their private counterparts.

He stressed further that the physical infrastructure in public schools in the state is receiving the desired attention, with the construction of a mega school in Akure, the state capital.

Mimiko added that the mega school, which will be equipped with modern equipment, will be constructed in areas like Owo, Ikare, Ondo and Okitipupa.

“Determined to situate Ondo State in its rightful place in the twenty first century, we are building new 21st century compliant schools,” he added.

He added that in order to sustain the state government education policy, his administration has decided to strengthen the inspectorate division to restore the lost glory of education.

“To sustain our projected outcome from this massive investment in education, we noted that the inspectorate division must be strengthened and restored to its original role of emplacing standard in our schools. That is why we set up the quality assurance agency which, in the real sense, will perform an enhanced role of the old inspectorate division of the ministry of education in a more efficient and result oriented manner,” he said.

Read More: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5596240-146/story.csp
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by asha80(m): 5:38pm On Jul 20, 2010
Olusegun Mimiko, the Ondo State governor, yesterday lamented the huge amount of money Nigerians spend on schooling in countries like United Kingdom and United States and said it was enough to develop the nation’s educational system.

Mr. Mimiko said this at the opening ceremony of the capacity building workshop for newly recruited staff of the state ministry of education quality assurance agency at Ade Super Hotel in Ondo. He said it was a pity that Nigerians are spending money to acquire knowledge in developed countries of the world at the detriment of the nation’s education system.

It is government that is meant to build and facilitate building of schools not private people.
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by rebranded(m): 5:46pm On Jul 20, 2010
These politicians can not cease to amaze me!!!

I hope none of this man's children are schooling abroad
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by Fhemmmy: 8:29pm On Jul 20, 2010
Nice to know they know, now what would be done about it?
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by AjanleKoko: 8:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
rebranded:

These politicians can not cease to amaze me!!!

I hope none of this man's children are schooling abroad

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy is all I can say to my state gov grin

Well . . . on a serious note, is this about getting foreign education, or chasing immigration opportunities?
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by asha80(m): 8:43pm On Jul 20, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . on a serious note, is this about getting foreign education, or chasing immigration opportunities?

I think both are intertwined these days.
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by lekside44(m): 5:36pm On Jul 22, 2010
well, i myself will not want my children 2 school in nigeria and face all these ASUU strike, touting and sexual harassment by lecturers, lack of good educational facilities. those who school aboard are better treated and even placed ahead of those who school here.
i was in ondo recently. even the so called gov did nothing to improve the state of thingsout there. the schools reminded me of village headmaster.
Re: Government Criticises Spending On Foreign Education by SEFAGO(m): 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I did not know u were from Ondo state wink

Anyhoo, I read somewhere a long tym ago that Nigerians spent 137 billion naira a year studying abroad. The study was quite well researched and it was in the punch.

(1) (Reply)

Lets Assess Goodluck's Government So Far / How would Nigeria have been portrayed if this had happened there. . . ? / Nigerian Bank Chief Returns Home To Face Corruption Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.