Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,368 members, 7,868,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 10:19 AM

‘my Promise To Our Abductors' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘my Promise To Our Abductors' (525 Views)

Drama At Senate Over Buhari's #5000 Promise To Unemployed Nigerians / Buhari Didn’t Promise To End Insurgency In Two Months – APC / I Have Fulfilled My Promise On Power Sector - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

‘my Promise To Our Abductors' by wales(m): 6:26am On Jul 21, 2010
Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Lagos State Council, Wahab Oba, said his new project is to rehabilitate his abductors if the federal government gives him backing and support.

He spoke on his ordeal in the hands of his kidnappers. Excerpts:

Kidnappers' grouse

At a time we were discussing with these boys, they told us what led them into the crime was a result of neglect by the government. They alleged further that politicians used them to get to offices to loot the treasury, only to later abandon them.

Hence, they resorted to using their own brain to make money through kidnapping. It was at this stage that the thought of rehabilitating them came to me. I even promised to swear for them to know how genuine my proposal was.

Rehabilitation for kidnappers

Even their leader said if he has a means of livelihood, of getting N15, 000 as salary every month, he would drop the guns. They said amnesty promised them by government is not forthcoming, when he said this, it was then I started thinking how do I get to these boys if we are eventually released?

I want to use my influence as Chairman of NUJ to get in touch with their state governor, which I am already doing. I also desire to connect the president to give them amnesty, to reach understanding. It may not be announced. To let them come and not arrest them or prosecute them, to give them that freedom to come out and surrender their guns. When they do that, I will now rehabilitate them. I will now re-orientate them.

I will now repackage them. When we do that, they would have means of livelihood. Then we can now use them as agent to change others who are still in the bush, to have a better life. That is the target. That also depends on if they call me. I gave them my own phone number, but they didn't give me their own numbers. So, if they call me and trust me, because they didn't trust anybody, then we will now see how to do that.

Kidnappers have informants

Another worry about the operations of the kidnappers is that they operate effective networking with their informants. Investigations while with them revealed that their informants are mostly females who gave them adequate information about police operations.

The truth is that, consistently, they have people who informed them on the operations of the police and people outside. How the police were moving, how police are strategizing. Somebody kept informing them and that voice is a woman's voice. So, they have informant. Even apart from that, they have informants in the community.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5596548-147/story.csp

Re: ‘my Promise To Our Abductors' by chyz(m): 6:32am On Jul 21, 2010
Education is not really the problem in nigeria, what is needed is jobs. what good is all this emphasis on spending all kinds of money on "education", which i think is bull anyways, when after you go to school you can find a job and use what youve learned.even if u didnt go to school jobs should still be there.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Leaders Close Ranks Ahead Of 2011 Elections / Connect To Zain Internet For 1year Without Paying A Kobo For Just 200naira. / Nigeria's Bailed-out Banks Surge As President Jonathan Signs Bad-debt Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.