Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud (9173 Views)

$3.65bn Abacha Loot Recovered In 24 Years / Court orders the release of Orji Uzor Kalu from Jail / APC Leaders Pressure Justice Idris To Free Kalu In N7.65bn Fraud - Sahara Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by nwakibie3(m): 4:46pm On Nov 05, 2018
Hearing in the trial of a former Governor of Abia, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu, for alleged N7.65billion fraud was stalled on Monday due to the absence of the ex-governor from court.

Kalu’s lawyer, Prof. Awa Kalu (SAN), told Justice Mohammed Idris at the Federal High Court in Lagos that his client was away in Germany for surgery.

He added that the ex-governor had been advised by his doctors to remain in Germany for some time to recuperate.

The defence counsel said the prosecuting counsel for Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), was aware of the development and urged Justice Idris to further adjourn the case.

But the EFCC prosecutor, Jacobs, said he was surprised at Kalu’s absence from court, adding that he did not know when the ex-governor obtained the court’s permission to travel out.

Jacobs noted that having submitted his passport to the court as part of his bail conditions, Kalu must always apply to the court for the passport whenever he wished to travel.

Describing the ex-governor’s absence from court as an attempt to frustrate the case, Jacobs urged Justice Idris to interpret Kalu’s absence to mean that he had jumped bail.

“I am not aware when the 1st defendant wanted to travel. We only got to know that the 1st defendant travelled abroad for medical treatment through his media aide, one Kunle Oyewunmi.

“Things must be done in accordance with the law. In my own view, what happened is that the 1st defendant has jumped bail. This is an attempt to further frustrate this trial because no application was made to the court to travel.

“I urge Your Lordship to treat the absence of the 1st defendant as that he has jumped bail,” Jacobs said.

Responding, however, the defence counsel urged Justice Idris to discountenance Jacob’s argument, saying as at when Kalu travelled out, the court had adjourned the case sine die (indefinitely).

Ruling on the lawyers’ submissions, Justice Idris noted that it was true that the matter was adjourned sine die on Sept.27, but Kalu was on Nov. 2 served with a hearing notice that the case had been scheduled for Monday.

The judge also noted that the court received a mail confirming Kalu’s treatment arrangement, but he said the defence counsel failed to attach any medical report to guide the court as to Kalu’s post-surgery treatment.

Justice Idris said in the circumstance, he would, in the interest of justice, adjourn the case for the last time, stressing that Kalu must return from Germany within seven days and appear before the court.

The judge ruled, “I have always stated that every citizen of this country is entitled to and has the right to seek medical treatment abroad.

“This right is guaranteed by the constitution, the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is an inalienable right.

“However, this right has exceptions; therefore, in exercising this right, due regard must be had for the law and due process.

“Apart from the mail confirming the treatment arrangement of the 1st defendant, the defence counsel should have obtained a medical report on the condition of the 1st defendant post-surgery.

“This would have properly guided the court in the proceedings of today.

“However, in the light of the entirety of this case and in the interest of justice, I am prepared to grant to the 1st defendant a final adjournment in respect of this matter.

“In the light of the provisions of the ACJA, I shall not adjourn for more than seven days from today. It is, therefore, hereby directed that the 1st defendant shall return to the country within seven days from today’s date for the hearing of this matter.” he said. The court adjourned the case untill Nov. 12 for continuation of trial.

https://politicsngr.com/absence-kalu-court-stalls-hearing-alleged-n7-65bn-fraud/

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by NwaAmaikpe: 4:47pm On Nov 05, 2018
shocked

Please they should allow him respond to treatment in Germany?

A judge with conscience would either strike out the case or adjourn it to when it will be very convenient for OUK to attend.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by chiscodedon(m): 5:23pm On Nov 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

A judge with conscience would either strike out the case or adjourn it to when it will be very convenient for OUK to attend.
Great Bahubali... Welcome back

3 Likes

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Kenekingisback: 5:25pm On Nov 05, 2018
Stories that is why he staged his emergency check-up in Europe.

APC is fraud. angry

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by CheapDataGuy: 7:50pm On Nov 05, 2018
Pls what's the update regarding tomorrow's nation wide strike

Is it still going to hold??
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by 9jvirgin(m): 7:50pm On Nov 05, 2018
If a nation wants progess, they will give Sowore and the like a chance but what do I know.

What a cursed nation called Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by 9jvirgin(m): 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2018
Kenekingisback:
Stories that is why he staged his emergency check-up in Europe.

APC is fraud. angry

But if he was in PDP he would be your good guy. You need to be flogged silly.

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2018
Do not worry. Since he is now in Agboro Peoples Party he is covered. Belonging to APC is an automatic ticket to covering all his faults.

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:53pm On Nov 05, 2018
One just have to expect the unexpected when it comes to Nigeria politics.
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by jumpandpas(m): 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2018
This case died the day OUK joined APC.

The criminal has escaped to Germany forming sick.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Blacksodje(m): 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2018
Come back home.

There is no place like your home
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by chiagozien(m): 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2018
Any igbo man that serve the zoo called nigeria will always come back in shame.

He think attack Kanu and ipob will make the baboons and monkeys in the zoo to like him.

Still on no referendum no (s)election

7 Likes

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Bobby4090: 7:58pm On Nov 05, 2018
The eediiot kept campaigning for PMB thinking that will make his fraud case be forgotten. When he realized he has failed, he fled to Germany under the guise of medical check up. Now we ibos have two fugitives running from the law, Kanu and Kalu.

7 Likes

Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Iwillbegreat: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2018
So igbo Jesus is a thief and a fraud? Why am I not surprised..

Na their work oo igbo kwenu
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by gamaliel9: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2018
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by johnmario50(m): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2018
grin
CheapDataGuy:

sure....
But u no get google for ur phone.
grin
CheapDataGuy:

sure....
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2018
venai:
Do not worry. Since he is now in Agboro Peoples Party he is covered. Belonging to APC is an automatic ticket to covering all his faults.

Wait for your time if it ever comes
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by CheapDataGuy: 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2018
johnmario50:
grin
sure....
grin
sure....

U seem happy about the strike. Why cry
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Umueme: 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2018
Now we know why he suddenly fell ill....

But can anyone help me explain why our politicians fall ill or get heart attacks when they are under investigation or at court??
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Soulsymbol99: 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2018
No wonder d guy go jeje enter coma b4 time 4 Germany grin
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by bigtt76(f): 9:15pm On Nov 05, 2018
Baba has joined the 'sick' politicians crew awaiting trial. They are always healthy and jumping upandan until it's about time for their case to be heard, they start forming sicko #useless pipo cheesy grin

nwakibie3:
Hearing in the trial of a former Governor of Abia, Dr Orji Uzor Kalu, for alleged N7.65billion fraud was stalled on Monday due to the absence of the ex-governor from court.

Kalu’s lawyer, Prof. Awa Kalu (SAN), told Justice Mohammed Idris at the Federal High Court in Lagos that his client was away in Germany for surgery.

He added that the ex-governor had been advised by his doctors to remain in Germany for some time to recuperate.

The defence counsel said the prosecuting counsel for Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), was aware of the development and urged Justice Idris to further adjourn the case.

But the EFCC prosecutor, Jacobs, said he was surprised at Kalu’s absence from court, adding that he did not know when the ex-governor obtained the court’s permission to travel out.

Jacobs noted that having submitted his passport to the court as part of his bail conditions, Kalu must always apply to the court for the passport whenever he wished to travel.

Describing the ex-governor’s absence from court as an attempt to frustrate the case, Jacobs urged Justice Idris to interpret Kalu’s absence to mean that he had jumped bail.

“I am not aware when the 1st defendant wanted to travel. We only got to know that the 1st defendant travelled abroad for medical treatment through his media aide, one Kunle Oyewunmi.

“Things must be done in accordance with the law. In my own view, what happened is that the 1st defendant has jumped bail. This is an attempt to further frustrate this trial because no application was made to the court to travel.

“I urge Your Lordship to treat the absence of the 1st defendant as that he has jumped bail,” Jacobs said.

Responding, however, the defence counsel urged Justice Idris to discountenance Jacob’s argument, saying as at when Kalu travelled out, the court had adjourned the case sine die (indefinitely).

Ruling on the lawyers’ submissions, Justice Idris noted that it was true that the matter was adjourned sine die on Sept.27, but Kalu was on Nov. 2 served with a hearing notice that the case had been scheduled for Monday.

The judge also noted that the court received a mail confirming Kalu’s treatment arrangement, but he said the defence counsel failed to attach any medical report to guide the court as to Kalu’s post-surgery treatment.

Justice Idris said in the circumstance, he would, in the interest of justice, adjourn the case for the last time, stressing that Kalu must return from Germany within seven days and appear before the court.

The judge ruled, “I have always stated that every citizen of this country is entitled to and has the right to seek medical treatment abroad.

“This right is guaranteed by the constitution, the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is an inalienable right.

“However, this right has exceptions; therefore, in exercising this right, due regard must be had for the law and due process.

“Apart from the mail confirming the treatment arrangement of the 1st defendant, the defence counsel should have obtained a medical report on the condition of the 1st defendant post-surgery.

“However, in the light of the entirety of this case and in the interest of justice, I am prepared to grant to the 1st defendant a final adjournment in respect of this matter.

“In the light of the provisions of the ACJA, I shall not adjourn for more than seven days from today. It is, therefore, hereby directed that the 1st defendant shall return to the country within seven days from today’s date for the hearing of this matter.” he said. The court adjourned the case untill Nov. 12 for continuation of trial.

https://politicsngr.com/absence-kalu-court-stalls-hearing-alleged-n7-65bn-fraud/
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Reference(m): 9:16pm On Nov 05, 2018
And people are complaining there is no job. Government should legalize bounty hunting in Nigeria.. grin All these fugitives of the law go appear sharp sharp....which reminds me of the need to watch 'Hateful Eight' again from my man Tarantino.
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by amazon14: 9:17pm On Nov 05, 2018
9jvirgin:

But if he was in PDP he would be your good guy. You need to be flogged silly.

Fortunately he is not in PDP. Deal with it APC is a fraud. You can now flogg yourself.
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by senatorbayor(m): 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

How did he travel when his name is on the travel ban list released by buhari gov't
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2018
nwakibie3:

Buharis loss is sure.

Even sarrki n senatordave1 will never vote for Buhari in 2019...grin.
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by zeromeridian: 9:37pm On Nov 05, 2018
Ok
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by InvertedHammer: 9:39pm On Nov 05, 2018
/
I won't expect to see Kalu in Nigeria until after the election.

/
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by Respect55(m): 11:32pm On Nov 05, 2018
APC won't seize to surprise me. If OUK were to be in PDP, they would have seized his traveling papers long time ago sad
Re: Absence Of Kalu From Court Stalls Hearing In Alleged N7.65bn Fraud by KanwuliaExtra: 11:33pm On Nov 05, 2018
APC has done it again.

ASSOCIATION OF PROTECTED CRIMINALS! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Outlaws Volunteer Security Outfit In Kaduna / How Nigerian Lawmakers Padded 2024 Budget With Over N53 Billion Vague Projects / N100m Donation: Falana Calls For Sanction Against Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.