Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? (21704 Views)

ASUU Strike: How Nigerian Universities Voted / ASUU Strike: How Did Students React In Your School? / ASUU Strike: How True Is This Earned Allowance Memo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Neozy(m): 3:12pm On Nov 06, 2018
Thank God my school Uniosun does not join ASUU strike. Can't wait to resume, this holiday is super boring.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by ofwest47(m): 3:16pm On Nov 06, 2018
ASUU are no more than Federal civil service society union; in South Africa and other advanced Universities in the world their institutions are usually sponsored by the industrial concerned for research and development to improve their industries. But in Nigerian Universities reverse is the case because in take into Nigerian Universities is about 87% in arts and culture and just about 13% intake in science related courses, is either you are admitted to read law , political science , economics , business admin. mass com. religious studies, arts and culture etc. etc you rarely see candidates in the department of medicine, engineering , science and technology unlike some well advanced higher institutions for which intakes is 85% science and technology and just about 15% intakes in arts and culture unlike South Korea which as far back as 1945 intake into their higher institutions has been 85% intake in science and technology and 15% intakes in Korean arts and culture. So in those types of institutions fundings are by the the industrial concerns to improve their industries. But in the Nigerian case it is 95% government funding with the remaining 5% by the candidates. That's why I always refer to Nigerian universities as glorified secondary schools.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by mrblessed(m): 4:05pm On Nov 06, 2018
jmaine:

You are shamelessly ignorant... You mentioned acceptance fees, post UTME, and convocation fees. Are you aware that the govt forces the school to indulge in such revenue drive cos they are not willing to fulfill their own part?
Are you aware that ASUU frowns at such?
Are you aware that such money doesn't go into ASUU pockets but the university administration which are representatives of the government.
Are you aware that without ASUU struggles most campus would have become terribly obsolete with aged structures.?
The funding you mentioned which are drawn to fund state projects was part of ASUU ingenuity that gave rise to TETFUND.
ASUU current demands is to get state government to stop proliferation of universities at the espense of TETFUND been used to fund executive impunity

It is obvious you are talking from a position of sheer ignorance and blind partisan support. The political class you support is the cretin. Stop being foolish.
I just feel compel to add to your brilliant recrimination. It is a shame that most Nigerian youths exhibit rank ignorance on sensitive matters that deserve critical rational thinking. It has become disturbingly common to attribute everything to politics no matter how noble or hallow. Nigerian government does not feel obligated to fund public education in Nigeria because it does not patronise it. Take the healthcare industry, for example, where medical tourism has become conspicuous consumption, then you will appreciate the gross irresponsibility that the government is guilty of. Without the unmatchable doggedness and principled stance of ASSU, the government, thoroughly detached from the people it claims to represents, would privatise university education, making it impossible for the common man educate his children. ASSU, of course, has its own problems, like not submitting its members to uphold the ethics of the profession, defending erring, academically deficient, and morally challenged members. However, kudos must be given to the union for its tireless defence of university education in Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by mrMeen(m): 4:19pm On Nov 06, 2018
Mansur59:
UDUSOK na strike they rush us
really i did not resume yet are lecturers active.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Roadto2019: 4:21pm On Nov 06, 2018
Angelina996:

You don't know yet, leave uniben for FUNAAB, then you will know FUNAAB is always leading cheesy
Greatest Funnabiteee

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by princesa(f): 4:23pm On Nov 06, 2018
hausadreturn:

How do you define move on?
You changed school or you left naija?

Graduated. Served.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by cassyrooy(m): 4:39pm On Nov 06, 2018
enshi:
Here in umunachi we no know wetin be aasu
Umunachi, Obowo?
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by hausadreturn(m): 4:59pm On Nov 06, 2018
princesa:

Graduated. Served.
Oh, that?
That's the essence of going to school isn't it?
Because when you say you moved on, it's like saying you left Nigeria or moved to a school that has no business with ASUU.
Anyway, congrats.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 06, 2018
KSU(kogi state uni), nothing like strike here, ASUU was proscribed last year.... I am very sure in the next 10years ksu won't go on any strike
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 06, 2018
zealousayo:
Lautech ASUU has also joined the strike. The decision was made at her congress held today.

Stop the joke please.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by hausadreturn(m): 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2018
Mansur59:
udusok as in Usman Danfodiyo University?
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by allthingsgood: 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2018
asuustrike1:

School fees collected goes to the state or federal government

Big lies!!!
How about the university primary/secondary that was illegally set up by d universities and accountable to no one
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by onyxo76(m): 5:13pm On Nov 06, 2018
No strike in oau, everything is going on normally
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Ikmontana1: 5:15pm On Nov 06, 2018
onyxo76:
No strike in oau, everything is going on normally
how sure are u bro, cos some lectures did nt hold ?
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by LegitHustler: 5:16pm On Nov 06, 2018
neonly:

Ok thks but if do come across it pls let me know regards

Alright, thanks
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by horpeyemmi66(m): 5:55pm On Nov 06, 2018
Actuarial:
Very very effective in UI. angry angry
Chairman we still dey write Biochemistry test for College of Medicine... Help us contact relevant authorities.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Ifydan1234: 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2018
it's not effective in my school, delsu because we are not under ASUU...
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by jmaine: 7:09pm On Nov 06, 2018
mrblessed:
I just feel compel to add to your brilliant recrimination. It is a shame that most Nigerian youths exhibit rank ignorance on sensitive matters that deserve critical rational thinking. It has become disturbingly common to attribute everything to politics no matter how noble or hallow. Nigerian government does not feel obligated to fund public education in Nigeria because it does not patronise it. Take the healthcare industry, for example, where medical tourism has become conspicuous consumption, then you will appreciate the gross irresponsibility that the government is guilty of. Without the unmatchable doggedness and principled stance of ASSU, the government, thoroughly detached from the people it claims to represents, would privatise university education, making it impossible for the common man educate his children. ASSU, of course, has its own problems, like not submitting its members to uphold the ethics of the profession, defending erring, academically deficient, and morally challenged members. However, kudos must be given to the union for its tireless defence of university education in Nigeria.

You spoke my mind succinctly. Yes, you are absolutely right on the need for ASUU to make their justice system against errant members swift and decisive...
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by afroxyz: 7:34pm On Nov 06, 2018
jmaine:

You are shamelessly ignorant... You mentioned acceptance fees, post UTME, and convocation fees. Are you aware that the govt forces the school to indulge in such revenue drive cos they are not willing to fulfill their own part?
Are you aware that ASUU frowns at such?
Are you aware that such money doesn't go into ASUU pockets but the university administration which are representatives of the government.
Are you aware that without ASUU struggles most campus would have become terribly obsolete with aged structures.?
The funding you mentioned which are drawn to fund state projects was part of ASUU ingenuity that gave rise to TETFUND.
ASUU current demands is to get state government to stop proliferation of universities at the espense of TETFUND been used to fund executive impunity

It is obvious you are talking from a position of sheer ignorance and blind partisan support. The political class you support is the cretin. Stop being foolish.

You are just shouting. If you guys really cared about education why have you not protested the rising school fees? Why have you not held the VC whom you refer to as government administrators accountable? Why have you not even held your members accountable for anti-academic activities. Instead you have now become a tool for the political class to he used at will? You guys should justify the 'peanuts' given to you before you have the moral audacity to ask for more
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 06, 2018
allthingsgood:

Big lies!!!
How about the university primary/secondary that was illegally set up by d universities and accountable to no one
That is the fact. Do you work at the university bursary to refute my claim?
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by jmaine: 8:20pm On Nov 06, 2018
afroxyz:

You are just shouting. If you guys really cared about education why have you not protested the rising school fees? Why have you not held the VC whom you refer to as government administrators accountable? Why have you not even held your members accountable for anti-academic activities. Instead you have now become a tool for the political class to he used at will? You guys should justify the 'peanuts' given to you before you have the moral audacity to ask for more

I am just shouting? It's always good to shut up when you are faced with a superior argument.

Go to various universities and you will notice one common phenomena; ASUU and the VCs are always at loggerheads over mismanagement of resources. After ASUU struggles, the VCs have a penchant for going against the checks and balances put in place. Examples of such checks include the Budget Management Committee of ASUU to ensure all projects follow due process and are sustainable in terms of quality and cost. Most VCs are vehemently against this cos it increases accountability to the university community.
At FUOYE, ASUU and the VC are at loggerheads over administrative rascality in terms of illegal recruitments.

Last two months , ASUU Akure Zone were in Osogbo to protest the inadequacies of LAUTECH visitors to fund the universities to alleviate the students plight. There are a lot of agitations handled by local ASUU zones that do not take a national dimension.

You sound like a frustrated political gnat whose pay is threatened by the brutal decision of ASUU to take the bull by the horn in order to forge a better end for the average Nigerian student and the Academia.

You are clearly deficient in the chosen discourse. Please exit the space for a more cerebral engagement.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by DateMynd44(m): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2018
me wey don finish exams.
God bless UNIBEN.

Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by afroxyz: 10:13pm On Nov 06, 2018
jmaine:

I am just shouting? It's always good to shut up when you are faced with a superior argument.

Go to various universities and you will notice one common phenomena; ASUU and the VCs are always at loggerheads over mismanagement of resources. After ASUU struggles, the VCs have a penchant for going against the checks and balances put in place. Examples of such checks include the Budget Management Committee of ASUU to ensure all projects follow due process and are sustainable in terms of quality and cost. Most VCs are vehemently against this cos it increases accountability to the university community.
At FUOYE, ASUU and the VC are at loggerheads over administrative rascality in terms of illegal recruitments.

Last two months , ASUU Akure Zone were in Osogbo to protest the inadequacies of LAUTECH visitors to fund the universities to alleviate the students plight. There are a lot of agitations handled by local ASUU zones that do not take a national dimension.

You sound like a frustrated political gnat whose pay is threatened by the brutal decision of ASUU to take the bull by the horn in order to forge a better end for the average Nigerian student and the Academia.

You are clearly deficient in the chosen discourse. Please exit the space for a more cerebral engagement.

You try to make yourself sound intelligent by conjuring words. No sane person would fall for your truck. Why can't you guys partner with the private sector to fund research as it is done in other climes. Even the TETFUND you bragged as being brought by your supposed ingenuity, what has come of it? What notable research has been done? What about the fact that you guys still teach with theories from the 70s? Or do you need government internet on to update your brains? What about the rampant plagiarism displayed by even professors? Simple things like even exchange programmes your members can't get. Why hasn't ASUU fought for funding for post graduate students as it is obtainable elsewhere. I'm not a politician neither am I supporting this present regime, but ASUU like the labour is only fighting for their pockets. Don't insult us by telling painting it as an altrustic act.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by onyxo76(m): 10:52pm On Nov 06, 2018
Ikmontana1:
how sure are u bro, cos some lectures did nt hold ?
well can't say why some classes didn't hold but the students I spoke to claim that they are receiving lectures with no problems
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by jmaine: 10:57pm On Nov 06, 2018
afroxyz:

You try to make yourself sound intelligent by conjuring words. No sane person would fall for your truck. Why can't you guys partner with the private sector to fund research as it is done in other climes. Even the TETFUND you bragged as being brought by your supposed ingenuity, what has come of it? What notable research has been done? What about the fact that you guys still teach with theories from the 70s? Or do you need government internet on to update your brains? What about the rampant plagiarism displayed by even professors? Simple things like even exchange programmes your members can't get. Why hasn't ASUU fought for funding for post graduate students as it is obtainable elsewhere. I'm not a politician neither am I supporting this present regime, but ASUU like the labour is only fighting for their pockets. Don't insult us by telling painting it as an altrustic act.

You are simply a lad engaging in a tail chasing episode. Don't worry I will be very patient with you even though your futile display of arrogance is lost on only you. Let us begin...

TETFUND is an indirect product of private sector funding made to bridge the glaring deficit in tertiary education funding. The drawback of TETFUND is the stringent conditions tied to accessing the funds. As we speak, due to inability of the institutions to access the funds running into billions, the scheme has turned into another politicians heavens to feast upon. Notwithstanding, funding through private sector is rigged with corrupt acts. Every privileged manager or CEO wants to have a cut as a middle man between the organization and researchers. At the end, researchers lose interest.

TETFUND, though plagued by numerous challenges, it can still boast of contributing a lot to the infrastructures on university campuses. Give yourself a little assignment, go to the campuses and count buildings built with the education tax funds. Then you will appreciate that without them, a good number of campuses will be havens of despair, frustration and sheer decay.

With the aforementioned limitation of TETFUND, permit me to ask you what level of research can a N2 million grant offer? Where are the research equipments necessary to facilitate ground breaking findings in our institutions ? Where is the infrastructure needed to run critical experimental designs? It's very easy to be an arm chair critic who just loves to rattle aimlessly. When universities are revitalized, most of these questions will be answered positively .

Plagiarism is a global issue . We have huge numbers of lecturers publishing in high impact journals consistently with ease. So keep quiet on that. You know nothing.

Some Federal universities have some form of exchange programs. Quit your confident ignorance.

Funding of Post graduate studies when you can't even boast of rudimentary laboratory equipment. You have to learn how to walk without running.

In your warped ideology, you believe a Nigerian worker do not deserve a decent welfare package despite having to survive in one of the harshest conditions on planet Earth ? What kind of productivity will you get from an hungry and impoverished mind?

Labour and ASUU have a right to fight for "their pocket"...

You are clearly a pained Pro government henchman.. The good news is that... The struggle for a better Nigerian education system is on.. And you can't stop it.
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Angelina996(f): 2:18am On Nov 07, 2018
Flames000:

Biggest joke of the year....

If UNIBEN shuts down today.... it will take FUNAAB 15yrs to meet up with our current state... #fact

I'm not so good at argument, I'd like you to act grin you leave that hole first, then u go know tongue lols.

Bye, lerra wink
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Elzak(m): 10:18am On Nov 07, 2018
I hope EFCC would just probe ASUU someday
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Elzak(m): 10:19am On Nov 07, 2018
Mansur59:
My namesake and school mate
Re: ASUU Strike: How Effective Is It In Your School? by Flames000(m): 6:06pm On Nov 07, 2018
Angelina996:

I'm not so good at argument, I'd like you to act grin you leave that hole first, then u go know tongue lols.

Bye, lerra wink
funny girl....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyo Govt Upgrades EACOED To University Status / Great Ife Student Union Leaders Is Yet To Present Any Budget. / Chiwetalu Charity, Physically-Challenged ESUT Female Student Narrates Ordeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.