Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Power Cut Cripples Mining Operations In Zambia - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Power Cut Cripples Mining Operations In Zambia (215 Views)

BUA Group, Akwa Ibom Refinery Is Expected To Kick Off Operations In 2024. / How To Unlock Vida Cpe 2000b In Zambia Zimbabwe / How To Unlock ZTE Mf927u In Zambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Power Cut Cripples Mining Operations In Zambia by MiningNG: 10:19am On Nov 06, 2018
Miners in Zambia, Africa’s second-biggest copper producer, said on Friday power supply cut had crippled operations in the country’s mines.

A spokesman for Luanshya Copper Mine owned by China Nonferrous Metals Mining Corporation (CNMC) said in Lusaka that the company expected to lose about four hours of production.

“Even though the power restoration has started, we have to launch the equipment gradually to avoid damage,” Luanshya Copper Mine spokesman Sydney Chileya said.

Industry sources said Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) owned by Vedanta Resources shut down all its operations except its smelter and the Konkola Deep Mine during the blackout.

KCM could not immediately be reached for comment.

But Zambian state power firm Zesco said the outage was due to a technical fault.

“We had a system disturbance which led to the loss of power on the Copperbelt, including the mines.

“We are investigating the cause of the disturbance. Power restoration has started but it will be gradual,” the utility’s spokesman Henry Kapata said.
Source: https://www.miningng.com/power-cut-cripples-mining-operations-in-zambia/

(1) (Reply)

Best Charcoal Deals / Bankers Testify Against Fayose In N1.2bn Money Laundering Trial / The Hate U Give Book Free | Best Books 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.