Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,684 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi (22408 Views)

Tinubu: New Minimum Wage Will Be Fair, Implementable / NLC: Next Minimum Wage Will Be Based On Cost Of Living / ‘N50,000 Minimum Wage Will Cripple Nigeria Economy’ - Olorunnimbe Farukanmi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by OrientDailyNews: 8:57am On Nov 07, 2018
By Olisemeka Obeche & Sunday Agbo

The Governor of Ebonyi State and Chairman of the Southeast Governors’ Forum, David Umahi has raised alarm over the new minimum wage of N30,000.00, warning that the new pay rise could trigger off hyper inflation in the country.

Umahi, who gave the warning while inaugurating his campaign organisation, the Divine Mandate Organisation, said, “we are approaching this issue of minimum wage wrongly.”

He noted that the N30,000 new minimum wage was not enough to carter for workers’ welfare, urging civil servants to look beyond the new pay rise.

“If what we are being told is correct and some states are using up to 90 per cent of their resources to pay salaries, if what we are told is correct that ASUU is going on strike because ASUU is saying that the budget for education is only 7 per cent against 20 per cent. So, if you put these two sections together, it is 110 per cent. We are just talking about this section alone- education, other sectors are there, health, security votes, water, light and so on. We are just talking of education and workers’ salaries alone.

“The two cannot mix; they cannot work until we are able to sit down and think how we can run this country. I do not believe that all the resources of this nation are correctly collected. I believe that if we collect in honesty the resources of this country, we will have enough to take care of our workers and we will have enough to take care of our heath, education and others.

“Civil servants should look beyond minimum wage component. Even the minimum wage of 30,000d what can it do? It will cause inflation and that inflation is going to sweep out whatever gain you think you have.

“Till we sit down in this country and look at all sides and agree that this is how we are going to do it otherwise, we will ground this country”, he stated.

Umahi, however, said he was not afraid to contest with the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

“If I were in the opposition, I will be afraid to say I am contesting election because considering the type of structure we have on ground, no ordinary man will be able to build it. It is God and Holy Spirit that made it possible.

“The people that say they are contesting election, some of them cannot define budget, they don’t even know what GDP is. They make promises like making a cross without ground,” he said.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday declared his government’s readiness to work towards implementing the new national minimum wage agreed by the tripartite committee.

Buhari gave the assurance shortly after receiving the report of the National Minimum Wage Committee set up to recommend a new minimum wage for Nigerian workers on 27th November 2017.

“I want to assure you all that we will immediately put in place the necessary machinery that will close out these open areas. Our plan is to transmit the Executive Bill to the National Assembly for passage within the shortest possible time. I am fully committed to having a new National Minimum Wage Act in the very near future,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has declared that the federal government has a cordial working relationship with labour unions in the country.

Mohammed, who said this in Abuja Tuesday, said the federal government and the organised labour had been able to amicably address the recent stalemate arising from the implementation of a new minimum wage for workers.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/news/n30000-minimum-wage-inflation-umahi/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by NwaAmaikpe: 9:00am On Nov 07, 2018
shocked

How can 30,000 cause inflation?
He isn't bothered about his own obese wages and allowances but is concerned about the addition of a meagre 10,200NGN to the minimum wage.

Umahi is a self-serving traitor.
You need no other proof to see this self-centered miscreant only thinks about the welfare of his own stomach.

It's such attitude of his that warranted the renaming of the famous Abakaliki road in Awka to Club Road by the Anambra State Government.

It's further heart wrenching that the Forum of South Eastern Governors is headed by a man who leads the weakest link in the South East chain.

It will be well my people.
O kwa mgbe nta.

142 Likes 19 Shares

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Hundreddegrees(m): 9:05am On Nov 07, 2018
But the huge allowances of the lawmakers won't cause inflation abi

The person driving this Nigeria should stop, i want to come down

130 Likes 7 Shares

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by slivertongue: 9:28am On Nov 07, 2018
Ofcourse. unfortunately d focus of NLC&govt is on d pay of politicians instead of focusin on d masses who dont wok 4govt

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 07, 2018
So it's only okay for the Governor and his cohorts to have all that money while the rest of us wallow in poverty.. interesting maths by this elite...Umahi has to go..he's irrevalent and a public nuisance

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by oyacastam: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2018
shocked

2face Son, Zion Idibia Into Music As He Becomes A Music Prefect (PHOTOS)

See: https://www.gistvic.com/2018/11/2face-son-zion-idibia-into-music-as-he.html
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Awoo88: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2018
Make dem fine stone stone this useless governor

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by helinues: 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
Just imagine useless talk from a supposed leader.

I can bet with my last card, your monthly recharge card is more than 30k yet you guys can't afford to pay( as if you are paying with your personal money).

Sometimes I wonder why thunder is not active when needed

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by XINOIX: 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
na your mouth that would inflat first

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Authoreety: 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
E no concern me
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by laskay44(m): 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
I talk am before say igbo ppu brain ehn Na somtin else

Idiotic

1 Like

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Gregdcutie(m): 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
See the utter rubbish this one is spewing. Which rubbish inflation will occur. Are these people not in shock as to how people live on the peanuts they are paid monthly. From the #18000 they are expected to Pay for accommodation, Pay for school fees, Utilities PHCN, Water, Sewage , Refuse disposal, Pay for the exorbitant transportation fares (especially in lagos) and still have enough to make food available in the house ....Greedy, wicked and heartless set of things we have as leaders.They should continue, a day will indeed come when the poor will have nothing to eat but the rich.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Toflez(m): 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
nonsense
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by tommykiwi(m): 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2018
So what is his own suggestion then?

1 Like

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Obynopositive: 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2018
But ur millions as security votes won't cause inflation.... Yeye

3 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by hardeycute(m): 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2018
May thunder ⚡ strike you and your generation.

You are not talking about reducing your allowances and salaries so that funds will be available to pay for the salaries being owed or the governors, lawmakers and president also receiving minimum wage

2 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Pavore9: 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2018
While the billions politicians are misappropriating is causing deflation!

6 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by fergie001: 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2018
But all your security votes and executive recklessness wouldn't ABI?

Oga,don't say that rubbish again,abeg

5 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Buharimustgo: 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2018
This animal again?

6 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by elvfab4(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2018
God for allow us choose our country at birth na

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by shomutuski(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2018
aaaa
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Chamber10(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2018
They always shout inflation when its the Masses . what about billions the senators collect...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Bossontop(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2018
undecided
can someone tell dis asshole to shut up

6 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
I had a discussion with my Colleagues at work today told them Nigeria is poor but all of them didn't believe me. until I asked them to divide our yearly budget with our Population and when they got #47000 only they were mute. This is just the budget that we hardly fund

3 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by mrvitalis(m): 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
Ok
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
30k will cause inflation but the billions you guys earn won't cause inflation. pay 30k let there be inflation. we are already use to inflation

4 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Opinionated: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by chrisifeanyi: 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2018
That guy is an idiot

2 Likes

Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Conceptman: 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2018
and some will take the new minimum wage serious? it's better they get a comedian to announce the news to us, so that the joke will be more funny. Aluminum windows, doors. casement with burglary, casement,projected windows, sliding windows and doors . call 09034377258.
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Conceptman: 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2018
and some will take the new minimum wage serious? it's better they get a comedian to announce the news to us, so that the joke will be more funny. Aluminum windows, doors. casement with burglary, casement,projected windows, sliding windows and doors . call 09034377258
Re: N30,000 Minimum Wage Will Cause Inflation – Umahi by Nellybank(m): 1:51pm On Nov 07, 2018
Idiotic Governor... And your security vote of Billions will cause deflation?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Fayemi Shuts Down People's FM 104.1 - Lere Olayinka / Ebonyi Journalist, Godfrey Chikwere Hospitalised After Being Arrested By Police / 2023: APC Leaders Split Over Tinubu, South-East May Get Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.