Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,767 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass (7088 Views)

University Of Ilorin & Abuja Ranks Biggest Universities In Nigeria By Landmass / Nairaland Ranked Africa's Largest Forum. / How To Travel By Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass by beejayvince(m): 11:06am On Nov 07, 2018
How big exactly is your State of origin and State of residence? How does it stack compared to other States in Nigeria? Here is a list of the 10 largest States by land mass in Nigeria. This is not directly related to population though.

10. Kebbi State
At number 10 is Kebbi State. Founded in August 1991, the Land of Equity as it is nicknamed has 4 emirates council, 21 Local Government Areas (LGA), and 35 districts. Its total area is 36,800km2 (14,200 sq mi) and its capital is Birnin Kebbi.

9. Kwara State
The ninth largest state is Kwara State. It was created on May 1967, and it is commonly referred to as the Middle Belt. Its slogan is the State of Harmony and it has a total area of 36,825 km2 (14,218 sq mi).

8. Adamawa State
State and capital, Abia Umuahia, Adamawa Yola. Reciting that rhyme was my first time hearing of the state. Now that I’m older, I can say it is a very beautiful state, hence the nickname Land of Beauty. It has a total area of 36,917 km2 (14,254 sq mi). Did you know that the name of the state was coined from its founder, Modibo Adama, who founded the state?.

7. Zamfara State
The “Home of Agricultural Products” takes the 7th spot on the list. Its capital is Gusau and it was in October 1996. Zamfara was the first state in Nigeria to introduce Sharia law during the regime of Ahmad Sani Yerima, the former Governor of the state. Islam is the predominant religion in the state, although Christianity has many worshippers. It’s land mass is 39,762 km2 (15,352 sq mi).

6. Yobe State
Damaturu is the capital of Yobe State and Yobe by landmass is the sixth largest state in Nigeria. Dubbed the Young state because it is 27 years old. Also because it shares the same slogan as a popular transport company “The Young Shall Grow”. It has 17 LGAs and has an area of 45,502 km2(17,568 sq mi).

5. Bauchi State
Bauchi is the pearl of tourism, and rightly so because the state is blessed with sites like the Yankari National Park, Wikki Warm Springs, Tafawa Balewa’s Tomb to mention a few. It was formed in 1976 but became a distinct state in 1996. Bauchi has a land mass of 49,119 km2(18,965 sq mi).

4. Kaduna State
Kaduna’s slogan is The Center of Learning, which is weird for me because I always thought it was Ekiti. Oh well.
It is among the oldest states in Nigeria (created in 1967), has 23 LGAs and has an area of 46,053 km2(17,781 sq mi).

3. Taraba State
Taraba has the best (and funniest) Capital name to me; Jalingo. It just cracks me up. But do not be fooled, Taraba is the embodiment of agricultural beauty in Nigeria. Little wonder it is called Nature’s Gift to the Nation, the scenery is breathtaking. It was created in August 1991 and has a total area of 54,473 km2(21,032 sq mi).

2. Borno State
In second place is Borno State nicknamed the Home of Peace – what a sad irony. Created on the 3rd of February, 1976, it consists of 27 LGAs. Islam is the main religion with few clusters of Christianity, Sharia is valid in the entire state. It has a landmass of 57,799 km2(22,316 sq mi).

1. Niger State
The award of The Biggest State in Nigeria by Landmass goes to * drumroll * Niger State!. Home to the tranquil Gurara Falls, it was named after the River Niger – go figure. It is the location of the famous Kainji and Shiroro Dam, hence the nickname The Power State. It consists of 25 LGAs and has a landmass of a whopping 76,363 km2(29,484 sq mi).

Source:
https://www.nigerianindex.com/top-10-largest-states-in-nigeria-by-land-mass/

Re: Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass by JoseVanMoyes: 11:08am On Nov 07, 2018
No Southern state.... embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 11:58am On Nov 07, 2018
Niger state is too large. And too regressive.
Re: Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass by beejayvince(m): 1:44pm On Nov 07, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Niger state is too large. And too regressive.

I schooled there. Empty land everywhere. The development in that State is nowhere close to its size. That State should have been divided into about three.
Re: Top 10 Largest States In Nigeria By Land Mass by Auladimeji1: 3:15pm On Nov 07, 2018
The northerners accumulates so many lands yet they don't add anything to the GDP of the country, why can't they sell it to water factory.They're parasites angry

(1) (Reply)

The Only Way To Survive As A Christian In The North. / How Can I Transfer Data Contacts From Samsung S4/S5 To S7 Edge? / I need your Six Lucky Numbers For A $95 Million (N12billion) Winning Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.