Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,468 members, 7,958,430 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:10 PM

Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? (813 Views)

Obituary Of A Private Security Guard Killed By Armed Robbers In Uyo / Two Private School Teachers Arrested For Stealing School Fees In Lagos / 2 Private School Students Found Dead In Alagbado Area Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by emerem: 2:19pm On Nov 07, 2018
Dear Nairalanders,
I have been battling with this issue for some time now. Please is it against the law for a public teacher to own a private school and business while still in active service? I will be happy if teachers in the house can clarify this, possibly, backed by teachers act or public service act, regulations and rules. Thank you all
Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by godfatherx: 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2018
Not ideal. It is happening a lot in Nigeria, but a conscientious government employee is not supposed to do so due to conflicts of interests.
Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by naija4all(m): 3:18pm On Nov 07, 2018
Though I am not a teacher or a public servant but I may know a thing or two.......in theory it is wrong based on the fact that as a government employee you are under contract of employment which prohibits that and as such u owe your employers faithful service which include:
u must not use his/her time for your personal business or use his or her working environment for your personal business or his or her machineries/ tools for your personal business.

But due to the situation of country and in part to the meagre amount paid to the average worker they augment other businesses as a means of survival.
Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by emerem: 9:01pm On Nov 07, 2018
naija4all:
Though I am not a teacher or a public servant but I may know a thing or two.......in theory it is wrong based on the fact that as a government employee you are under contract of employment which prohibits that and as such u owe your employers faithful service which include:
u must not use his/her time for your personal business or use his or her working environment for your personal business or his or her machineries/ tools for your personal business.

But due to the situation of country and in part to the meagre amount paid to the average worker they augment other businesses as a means of survival.
thank you very much dear. Very informative, thanks.
Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by emerem: 9:03pm On Nov 07, 2018
godfatherx:
Not ideal. It is happening a lot in Nigeria, but a conscientious government employee is not supposed to do so due to conflicts of interests.
Thanks for the prompt response. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by naija4all(m): 11:09pm On Nov 07, 2018
emerem:
thank you very much dear. Very informative, thanks.
you are very much welcome and I am glad I was of help.
Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by Fabre2: 5:18am On Nov 08, 2018
naija4all:

if it is well planned it can be managed effectively
Re: Can A Government Teacher Own A Private School Or Business? by naija4all(m): 10:13am On Nov 08, 2018
Fabre2:

if it is well planned it can be managed effectively
without a doubt yes, but ideally it is not proper. Slave of two masters will result to conflict of interest. In a proper environment if such info gets to the employers such staff will be fired.

(1) (Reply)

Read The Reaction of Yahoo Boy Accused Of Using His Girlfriend for rituals(pic) / See Video As Community Carry Out Jungle Justice On A Lady / Another Nigeria Arrested With Cocaine In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.