Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

G.i.s Geographic Information Systems - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (39827 Views)

What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? / Pls, How Is The Job Market For Recent Geographic Information Systems (gis) Graduates / Expansion Of The Geographic Information Systems (gis) Field In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Iretia(m): 2:47pm On Aug 26, 2011
joomlaman:

@Iretia,
I just want to seek your professional advice on how GIS cold be used in managing crime in Nigeria? And how your company cold help in achieving that.

Thanks.

Apologies for just seeing your post today.

GIS like any other strategic tool does not produce magic. What you get out of it is a function of what you put in it. The intrinsic value of GIS in any field lies in the ability to combine huge amount of contextual data from several sources to make informed decisions in a consistent and efficient manner
See  this link for some practical ways GIS is being used in crime management. http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/crime-analysis.pdf

It would be interesting to see how GIS is used in crime management for the London 2012, perhaps there could be a lesson for Nigerian police in this study, abi?

If you are looking at a specific scenario, then I'll suggest that you get in touch with me. I hope you'll find the link useful.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Iretia(m): 1:31pm On Jan 20, 2012
[center]Blog about Nigerian Mapping & GIS Industry and win N100,000 [/center]

Spatial Technologies Ltd (www.spatialtechnologiesltd.com) -Nigeria's foremost mapping and GIS solution provider in collaboration with Office of the Surveyor General of the Federation (www.osgof.gov.ng ) -Nigeria's mapping agency is inviting students in Nigerian tertiary institutions studying mapping and Geographic Information (GI) related course to enter into a blogging competition codenamed Project Zuma.

Project Zuma -an online competition named after the popular and legendary Zuma rock in Niger State is a strategic online campaign designed to improve and strengthen the online information and brand awareness of Nigerian GIS, map based solutions, Location Based Services, etc.

According to Ireti Ajala -the CEO of Spatial Technologies Ltd, "The idea behind project Zuma is to engage students of GI and related courses across Nigerian tertiary institutions constructively and assist them to channel their intellectual capacity towards a worthy project instead of wasting precious time and money on online gossips via Facebook, Yahoo and other social network platform"

Professor Peter Nwilo -the newly appointed Surveyor General Of the Federation supports Project Zuma. He said, "Project Zuma is expected to provide the platform to improve the online search profile of Nigerian mapping industry regarding news, information, who is doing what within the industry. The project is also expected to improve the creativeness and innovations of our students. This we believe would transform Nigerian GI industry from being a sluggish, uninspired industry to a vibrant, innovative and technology savvy mapping industry providing a wealth of information about the emerging industry to the internet community in a consistent and efficient "

Objectives of Zuma
1. To connect with Nigerian GI professionals and students of surveying, GIS, Geography, etc across the country.
2. To improve the brand profile of Nigerian GI industry and make it more attractive to more people in Nigeria.

Competition Qualifications
1. Zuma competition is opened to ONLY Nigerian students either at undergraduate or post graduate level studying any of the following courses:
• Land surveying
• Geography
• GIS
• Computer Science
• Geology
• Architecture
• Estate Management
• Other geography related course

2. The blog must focus ONLY on the Nigerian GI Industry
3. It must be maintained for at least 2months.
4. You must keep it fresh and updated regularly by posting news, articles, innovations, etc about what is happening in the Nigerian GI Industry, atleast once in 2weeks.
5. You must link each post to your Facebook page and encourage your friends to create links to your posts from their facebook pages

How to Enter the Competition
Get details of how to register at this link: http://lagosstreetmap..com/2012/01/project-zuma-blogging-competition-for.html

Please note that this competition is opened to both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students in either Polytechnics or Universities across Nigeria

Reward
1. First prize :  N100,000 cash
2. Second prize:  N50,000 cash
3. Third Prize: N20,000 cash

Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by bjfamilia: 4:50pm On Sep 03, 2012
GIS-
Transparent and objective methods used in acquiring and integrating information which could be achieved by observing, investigating, measuring, mapping, storing, managing, processing and analyzing, using computerized tools that will aid decision making to yield better and visible results that can be applied in solving real life(geographical reality) problems.

There is the system( geographic information system) the science (geographic information science) and the technology (geographic information technology).
Geographic information system is a computerized tool that process and stores geographic information
Geographic Information science are methodologies for discovering new knowledge such as observation, studying,recording etc
Geographic information technology are technologies for collecting and dealing with geographic information.
Therefore these three are interconnected and are employed for effective solutions.

It is not just the system(computerized tool that stores, manages, analyses, models and process geographic information(GI)) that is very important even though much attention is given to it. In GIS, how to take decisions is paramount when exercising ones GIS skills.
For instance-

Where do i locate a hospital?
How do i route School buses, commercial vehicles?
Where do i start up a business?

Everything happens somewhere, that makes location very important in GIS. How you choose your location depends on what you are doing and the people you are dealing with bearing in mind that there must be a plan left for future occurances. The operational( day to day transactions or routine in an organization) tactical( short-medium term plan) and strategic (long term plan) fundamentals to decisions if properly integrated, the where and how cases in GIS can be properly managed.

There is, most times a misconception between the word geographic and spatial.
Geographic simply refers to the earth surface or near the earth surface while spatial refers to any space.(Longley et al 2011) Everything around man happens within a geographic space, however how ever spatial is mostly preferred since it covers anything withing a space.
Lets imagine an empty space , filled with different objects, such as different cars, houses, people living under different conditions, different goods and services etc The heterogeneity nature of the earth makes investigation and analysis in GIS difficult but unfortunately the earth isn't homogeneous. Finding the differences and similarities between theses objects produces a lot of information even though too much information in GIS is very vital and good but may be a problem but not having enough information is a major problem. When we measure everything available during GIS investigations, depending on the area of interest eg the census of people living in a particular district, the type or nature of roads and the number of cars per households in that district etc. can aid in managing events and prepare for future disasters.
There are questions one will ask, like the number of people living on a street in that district, the number of cars per house holds bearing in mind the uncertainties(information that are not properly represented ie we might not have the right number of cars since people get visitors that come with their own cars, some people might decide to visit the district for other reasons, the district might be a short route to other places etc) knowing the size of roads, bottle necks( the road that takes the largest traffic), noting down places where road intersects etc having these information and more will enable the GIS analyst or professional to think of the what if scenarios in different formats.
Having carried out detailed survey of the district, one acquires data which are most times information in digital format. With theses detailed information, the knowledge of GIS leaves you with so many questions (the what if scenarios) which starts as an imagination and may not be 'properly' brought into reality for effective solutions, if we do not employ the use of geographic information system.

Geographic information 'system' is a computerized based system or tool that stores and processes geographic information. It also aids in the effective,improvement and efficiency of handling GI. It can process, analyse , store, measure,etc With the GIS system, using a software such as the ESRI ArcGIS, the prototype of the real world or ones imagination can be put into a digital format, and modeled.

With modeling, value is added to data and proper predictions and management of emergencies can be made in this case.These GI systems saves time and cost and yield effective solution to problems. At the end, you can see the solutions in digital format before applying it to the real world.

The question is; must we wait for a problem before we find solutions? even though some geographical problems are inevitable. The Nigerian government should have a right framework of networks that collects data in all ramifications and stores them into a robust database which is well structured, managed and updated, and can be used by law enforcement agencies, health care, transport, housing, education,and so on. Having a central agency established by the federal government that acquires and manages spatial data with different access levels to people such as the U.S Geospatial -one -stop which is an initiative to improve the coordination of government at local, state and federal levels. This also should contain a central e-library, that catalogs information.At this developing stage of Nigeria the central development and coordination of GIS is very important .

Also with the GI system,one can represent an information as a map,you can imagine the level of information one can get from a map. You don't need to have a scientific knowledge to understand a message from a map which is depends on the user and purpose of map, all information on maps are simplified using a map legend.
GIS can be used for making maps or GIS analysis. Even though most people prefer GIS for making maps (cartography).
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by bjfamilia: 7:21pm On Sep 09, 2012
GIS-
Transparent and objective methods used in acquiring and integrating information which could be achieved by observing, investigating, measuring, mapping, storing, managing, processing and analyzing, using computerized tools that will aid decision making to yield better and visible results that can be applied in solving real life(geographical reality) problems.

There is the system( geographic information system) the science (geographic information science) and the technology (geographic information technology).
Geographic information system is a computerized tool that process and stores geographic information
Geographic Information science are methodologies for discovering new knowledge such as observation, studying,recording etc
Geographic information technology are technologies for collecting and dealing with geographic information.
Therefore these three are interconnected and are employed for effective solutions.

It is not just the system(computerized tool that stores, manages, analyses, models and process geographic information(GI)) that is very important even though much attention is given to it. In GIS, how to take decisions is paramount when exercising ones GIS skills.
For instance-

Where do i locate a hospital?
How do i route School buses, commercial vehicles?
Where do i start up a business?

Everything happens somewhere, that makes location very important in GIS. How you choose your location depends on what you are doing and the people you are dealing with bearing in mind that there must be a plan left for future occurances. The operational( day to day transactions or routine in an organization) tactical( short-medium term plan) and strategic (long term plan) fundamentals to decisions if properly integrated, the where and how cases in GIS can be properly managed.

There is, most times a misconception between the word geographic and spatial.
Geographic simply refers to the earth surface or near the earth surface while spatial refers to any space.(Longley et al 2011) Everything around man happens within a geographic space, however how ever spatial is mostly preferred since it covers anything withing a space.
Lets imagine an empty space , filled with different objects, such as different cars, houses, people living under different conditions, different goods and services etc The heterogeneity nature of the earth makes investigation and analysis in GIS difficult but unfortunately the earth isn't homogeneous. Finding the differences and similarities between theses objects produces a lot of information even though too much information in GIS is very vital and good but may be a problem but not having enough information is a major problem. When we measure everything available during GIS investigations, depending on the area of interest eg the census of people living in a particular district, the type or nature of roads and the number of cars per households in that district etc. can aid in managing events and prepare for future disasters.
There are questions one will ask, like the number of people living on a street in that district, the number of cars per house holds bearing in mind the uncertainties(information that are not properly represented ie we might not have the right number of cars since people get visitors that come with their own cars, some people might decide to visit the district for other reasons, the district might be a short route to other places etc) knowing the size of roads, bottle necks( the road that takes the largest traffic), noting down places where road intersects etc having these information and more will enable the GIS analyst or professional to think of the what if scenarios in different formats.
Having carried out detailed survey of the district, one acquires data which are most times information in digital format. With theses detailed information, the knowledge of GIS leaves you with so many questions (the what if scenarios) which starts as an imagination and may not be 'properly' brought into reality for effective solutions, if we do not employ the use of geographic information system.

Geographic information 'system' is a computerized based system or tool that stores and processes geographic information. It also aids in the effective,improvement and efficiency of handling GI. It can process, analyse , store, measure,etc With the GIS system, using a software such as the ESRI ArcGIS, the prototype of the real world or ones imagination can be put into a digital format, and modeled.

With modeling, value is added to data and proper predictions and management of emergencies can be made in this case.These GI systems saves time and cost and yield effective solution to problems. At the end, you can see the solutions in digital format before applying it to the real world.

The question is; must we wait for a problem before we find solutions? even though some geographical problems are inevitable. The Nigerian government should have a right framework of networks that collects data in all ramifications and stores them into a robust database which is well structured, managed and updated, and can be used by law enforcement agencies, health care, transport, housing, education,and so on. Having a central agency established by the federal government that acquires and manages spatial data with different access levels to people such as the U.S Geospatial -one -stop which is an initiative to improve the coordination of government at local, state and federal levels. This also should contain a central e-library, that catalogs information.At this developing stage of Nigeria the central development and coordination of GIS is very important .

Also with the GI system,one can represent an information as a map,you can imagine the level of information one can get from a map. You don't need to have a scientific knowledge to understand a message from a map which is depends on the user and purpose of map, all information on maps are simplified using a map legend.
GIS can be used for making maps or GIS analysis. Even though most people prefer GIS for making maps (cartography).
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by liftemeupolord: 12:25pm On Mar 14, 2013
Good day everybody on this tread .i am a recent graduate of Geography from one of the Fedral Universities in Nigeria. I have read alot of articles on net particularly Nairaland and it has inspired me a lot to take up a Graduate programe in GIS. I would really love to have a mentor.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Gozychuks(m): 10:34am On Mar 15, 2013
steeee: Hi tee
I have aot of experince in GIS we are reseller for ESRI
my company i worked for are the ESRI reseller for Nigeria
And if u have any thing feel free to ask
cause we have been on ground for about 18yrs doing jobs for all OIL and GAS companies in Nigeria and Governament agencies
so what bothering in GIS ?
am interested in knowing more about GIS... Am new i d field.. Would appreciate any assistance, info n guideline my email is gozychuks@gmail.com
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by graciousamy: 7:55pm On Jul 22, 2013
Thanks to God for coming across this page. Pls GIS professionals in the house, I'll be needing your assistance, i need someone to put me through with this gis stuff, i just got admitted to study, geography and regional planning, specializing in GIS, i don't really understand the concept very well hence pls i need your assistance. Also where can i get a real practical hands training of Gis applications here in nigeria and what's the cost implications? Also please help me with the list of different gis softwares, their developers and date of production and also the purpose/function of such softwares. Thanks alot, God bless this room.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by manutdadex(m): 11:57am On Jan 04, 2014
jst got addmitted into Futa to study remote sensing and gis....... I think in dis field internship will help alot and need proffessional advisers and mentors...
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 04, 2016
Do you need Satellite Images or Map of Any part of Nigeria being it Topographic, Geology, Soil,thematics ,Engineering and epidemic . e.g Road,buildings for your Projects and Researches..
*We can also train you on The latest GIS and REMOTE Sensing Software like #GPS App #ArcGIS 10.4 #ENVI 5+ #ILWIS #ELDAR #SSPSS #MATLAB #SURFER 10 #MapInfo #GeoMatical #R-project #Ms-project etc
*Have you abandoned your research project (being it academic, professional or Scientific) ...confused...need help? Contact #iGeolink Consult Nig LTD okaykaygeoinfo@gmail.com or WhatsApp 08063347030
...we are here to help you
Igeolink.....mapping the future!!!
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by ghostntommy: 6:22pm On Mar 31, 2017
this is a wonderful thread i must confess. please, @iretia @hunter77 and other contributors in the house, and every other person that has infoabt GIS should please help out. Please, which institution in Nigeria offers a Postgraduate course in GIS (part time will be appreciated a lot). thanks
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Oothman(m): 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2017
ghostntommy:
this is a wonderful thread i must confess. please, @iretia @hunter77 and other contributors in the house, and every other person that has infoabt GIS should please help out. Please, which institution in Nigeria offers a Postgraduate course in GIS (part time will be appreciated a lot). thanks
University of Ibadan offers the course at postgraduate level
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by ghostntommy: 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2017
Oothman:
University of Ibadan offers the course at postgraduate level
thanks bro. pls do you knw if its full or part time
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Oothman(m): 9:49am On Apr 03, 2017
ghostntommy:

thanks bro. pls do you knw if its full or part time
I don't really know about that...
It is a professional course though
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 05, 2017
Oothman:

I don't really know about that...
It is a professional course though

It is full time.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by Chydobe: 10:33am On Oct 12, 2017
The University of Arizona's MS-GIST (Masters of Science in GIS Technology) Program is pleased to accept applications form suitably qualified candidates for the “Meet Arizona Community Needs Scholarships”. The Meet Arizona Community Needs Scholarships 2018 is open to all incoming students who are willing to apply for the graduate MS-GIST program.

Meet Arizona Community Needs Scholarships is intended for students who are willing to help meet the needs of the State of Arizona's information-based economy workforce and community engagement upon graduation.

Click on link below to apply

http://www.newzified.com/apply-for-2018-meet-arizona-community-needs-scholarships/
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 6:21pm On Oct 12, 2019
For your GIS training in ArcGIS, IDRISI Terrset, smart GIS editot, TCX, 3D elevation model (SURFER), Map making, GIS analysis, contact me on 08106244065

Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 10:28am On Nov 20, 2019
GIS can help you in several ways. For your training in GIS and for your analysis, contact me on 08132742728

Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 4:37pm On Nov 25, 2019
For your GIS training in different GIS softwares such as ArcGIS, smart GIS editor, Idrisi TerrSet, Surfer, TCX converter and analysisin Ibadan, call me on 08132742728.

Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 8:35pm On Apr 25, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 1:51pm On Jul 30, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index) and terrain analysis..Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.

Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 1:57pm On Jul 30, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 3:03pm On Sep 15, 2020
Learn different aspect In GIS.u will have the opportunity to be trained on different GIS softwares such as ARCGIS,QGIS,Surfer,Global mapper,Smart GIS editor and Idrisi Terrset.
Training areas:
Introduction to GIS (course work)
Georeferencing
Digitizing
How to download ur data
How to input ur data into excel
How to link ur data into Arcgis and Qgis environment
Introduction to Google earth
Network analysis (service area,cost matrix and location allocation )
Hotspot analysis (heatmap)
Terrain analysis
Contour creation
Stream extraction
Vector and raster analysis
Image classification
NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index
Get d best in CENTER FOR GEOSPATIAL SCIENCE AND 3D GRAPHICS DESIGN LTD.
There will be certificate at d end of ur training..........
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 10:59am On Oct 09, 2020
I'm into 3d modeling and animation.If u are interested in learning 3d modeling and animation, call me on 08106244065(Rainbow view animation).
To u will learn:
Environment modeling
Objects modeling and animation.
Character modeling and animation
Online training- 5k, physical training 20k
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 11:02am On Oct 09, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 3:10pm On Nov 06, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,Map puzzle and surfer.Analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast, how to publish a web map, etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065 or 07089382284. Geospatial Science Enterprise (Fully at ur service)
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by emak1991: 8:25am On Nov 09, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by akin1991: 10:33pm On Nov 18, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.physical training 20k and online training 7k
Re: G.i.s Geographic Information Systems by akin1991: 3:19pm On Nov 26, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training 20k

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo) / Commercial Banks In Benin City Were Destroyed Yesterday / Adamawa Fruit Seller Wears Suit For His Business. See His Touching Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.