Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,447 members, 7,816,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued (695 Views)

Two Day Old Baby Who Was Dumped In A Trash Can By Her Mother Rescued. Photos / Child Rescued After Being Washed Into A Canal In Lagos (Photo) / Baby Dumped At Filling Station In Katsina (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by shadrach77: 12:20am On Jul 23, 2010
Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued
print
Author: Date: Jul 22nd, 2010. | Category: News, Today's Headlines. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |
A baby dumped in a canal at Vulvanizer Bus Stop, Gowon Estate, Ipaja, Lagos, Nigeria, has been rescued by sympathisers.

•The abandoned baby girl.

P.M.NEWS gathered that the little girl, who should be about a year and some months old, was found in the canal around 3 p.m. yesterday, struggling to come out of a sack in which she was stuffed with refuse.

Sympathisers who rescued the toddler said one of them noticed strange movement in the sack, which was likely thrown into the canal from its bank, and decided to check what was inside.

Says one of the sympathisers, who simply identified herself as Dolapo: “We noticed that there was movement in the sack, which attracted everybody to the scene. At first we saw that it was refuse, only to discover the poor girl was underneath it.

“Only God knows who dumped the baby and when the wicked act was perpetrated, but we were happy to see that she was alive. We quickly bathed her, clothed her and fed her to keep her alive.”

P.M.NEWS learnt that the baby girl was immediately taken to the Baale of Abule-Oki’s palace in the Mosan-Okunola Local Council Development Area after she had been taken care of, and later taken to Idimu Police Division where the case was reported.

At the time of filing this report this morning, plans were being made to take the girl to a motherless babies home for further care.

Meanwhile, while some sympathisers at the scene cursed whoever carried out the dastardly act, some believed the mother could have dumped her because she was unable to cater for her any longer.

—Jide Osokoya
Re: Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by Nobody: 12:54am On Jul 23, 2010
shadrach77:

Meanwhile, while some sympathisers at the scene cursed whoever carried out the dastardly act, some believed the mother could have dumped her because she was unable to cater for her any longer.

WTF!!!!and what was she going to tell baby daddy, families and friends?! the baby disappeared!
just another proof that some people are not fit to be parents and that they should give the kid for adoption or abort rather than making innocent children suffer.
Re: Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by Sissy3(f): 6:15am On Jul 23, 2010
good thing she was saved and alive. very good thing.
Re: Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 23, 2010
A mother that dumps a new-born baby and leaves him / her to die is a nasty piece of work. A mother that nurses a baby up to a year and beyond, and abandons the child to die, is extremely wicked. After all this time, she still couldn't bond with her child? Worse, rather than give the child up for adoption, she puts the baby into a sack, and leaves her to face uncertain death, either by drowning, suffocation, hunger or eaten by a wild animal? 

Some people are shockingly wicked. And it's odd that no one appears to have missed this little girl. She must have had a father and other relatives somewhere, surely? Proof that some women are not born to be mothers, not a single maternal emotion within her. I feel for that child, and hope she finds a good home somewhere else. If it were possible, I'd adopt her, and give her the love she deserves.

Thank God she was saved.
Re: Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by ada24: 10:33am On Jul 23, 2010
please i think what the mother of this child did is wrong and fully condemn it. However on another topic a lot of women in Nigeria (and around the world) suffer from post natal depression and I believe that it is not widely acknowledged in Nigeria for various reasons, maybe if these women got the support they needed and where quickly identified as sufferers of this illness we would stop hearing more of these horrific stories and women would simple give up the babies for adoption or use techniques given to them by trained healthcare professionals to cope better with the whole situation of motherhood.
Re: Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by Sissy3(f): 10:48am On Jul 23, 2010
ada24:

please i think what the mother of this child did is wrong and fully condemn it. However on another topic a lot of women in Nigeria (and around the world) suffer from post natal depression and I believe that it is not widely acknowledged in Nigeria for various reasons, maybe if these women got the support they needed and where quickly identified as sufferers of this illness we would stop hearing more of these horrific stories and women would simple give up the babies for adoption or use techniques given to them by trained healthcare professionals to cope better with the whole situation of motherhood.

very important point you made there. postpartum can truly skewed-up the sense of the most sanely woman. sadly, its not widely recognized to be given a name in our neck of the wood and in many others. it gets to a point that some mothers even kill themselves due to it and some even carry-out the thought of killing their own child, at least i know of some. its just a very horrible experience and i really wish many people had the knowledge of it and be able to recognize the signs esp husbands and those closets to the mother and seek help for the mother. i really wish we had a very active support group for the suffers of this silence illness. postpartum is very real
Re: Baby Dumped In Canal Rescued by softgirl1: 4:26pm On Jul 23, 2010
na wa o hum am speachless

(1) (Reply)

Love On The Other Side Of The Fence / St. Val / Housewives Are Now Worried.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.