Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,213 members, 7,839,127 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout (689 Views)

Again, Water Scarcity Hits Enugu State (PICTURES) / Enugu Residents Cannot Bath Due To Water Scarcity: Pictures / US Citizens Buy Fuel In Plastic Bags, Kegs As Fuel Scarcity Hits Some US States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2018
THE ongoing power cut in the Edo state capital of Benin has resulted in water scarcity in most part of the metropolis. Most parts of Benin have been in darkness for over two weeks as a result of transmission breakdown occasioned by aging equipment of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC). Areas worse hit are Ekenwan Road, Agho street 2nd/3rd East Circular road, New Benin, and Ikhinmwin quarters of the state. A city resident who gave her name as Mrs Joseph Itohan lamented that she could not carry out her business because of this lingering power cut in her neighbourhood. Mrs Joseph said that in the last one week, the price of three 20 litres of jerry cans she usually buys for N20, each of them now goes for N30 and wondered how she could cope with the continuos hardship occasioned by the power outage that has paralyzed commercial activities for the past seven days.Our problem now is light and water. Because of water, I could not cook to feed my children. The way the country is now I do not know if they want to change it. The poor are getting poorer while the rich are getting richer I do not know.“One of the jerry can I fetched this morning was sold for N30 but before now, i was buying it for N10 or three for N20 and at times, we are given for free,” she said. Also, expressing sadness over the power outage, a barbing saloon operator, Mr. Stephen Uwen said his business has been crumbled by BEDC. “Close to a week now, we have not seen any power supply. We have been in darkness for the past one week now. So, we are not finding it easy. As you can see, business are now paralyzed. “In short, crime is now on the high rate. Those doing small businesses can no longer pay their bills. As I am talking to you now, even the generator I am using for my own personal work, is down. “In my own residential area, like the New Benin/Upper Lawani area, there is no light. The same situation I am passing through at my working play, Uwa at 2nd East Circular Road. I am not happy at all,” he lamented. The Corporate Affairs Manager of the electricity, Mr Tayo Adekunle, said the company that the company is not relenting as it plans to reconnect the affected neighbourhoods where darkness is now the order of the day. Adekunle assured: “We want to divert the load to areas that have light. You know, some of the facilities are aged and we are doing all that we can to fix them. The problem would be laid to rest within the week.”
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:21pm On Nov 12, 2018
Is there such thing as water scarcity?
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 9:26pm On Nov 12, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
Is there such thing as water scarcity?
come to edo state and see for yourself....esp. upper sokponba
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by bedspread: 9:41pm On Nov 12, 2018
officialfestus:
THE ongoing power cut in the Edo state
capital of Benin has resulted in water
scarcity in most part of the metropolis.
Most parts of Benin have been in darkness for
over two weeks as a result of transmission
breakdown occasioned by aging equipment of
the Benin Electricity Distribution Company
(BEDC).
Areas worse hit are Ekenwan Road, Agho
street 2nd/3rd East Circular road, New Benin,
and Ikhinmwin quarters of the state.
A city resident who gave her name as Mrs
Joseph Itohan lamented that she could not
carry out her business because of this lingering
power cut in her neighbourhood.
Mrs Joseph said that in the last one week, the
price of three 20 litres of jerry cans she usually
buys for N20, each of them now goes for N30
and wondered how she could cope with the
continuos hardship occasioned by the power
outage that has paralyzed commercial activities
for the past seven days.Our problem now is light and water. Because
of water, I could not cook to feed my children.
The way the country is now I do not know if
they want to change it. The poor are getting
poorer while the rich are getting richer I do not
know.“One of the jerry can I fetched this morning
was sold for N30 but before now, i was buying
it for N10 or three for N20 and at times, we are
given for free,” she said.
Also, expressing sadness over the power
outage, a barbing saloon operator, Mr. Stephen
Uwen said his business has been crumbled by
BEDC.
“Close to a week now, we have not seen any
power supply. We have been in darkness for
the past one week now. So, we are not finding
it easy. As you can see, business are now
paralyzed.
“In short, crime is now on the high rate. Those
doing small businesses can no longer pay their
bills. As I am talking to you now, even the
generator I am using for my own personal
work, is down.
“In my own residential area, like the New
Benin/Upper Lawani area, there is no light. The
same situation I am passing through at my
working play, Uwa at 2nd East Circular Road. I
am not happy at all,” he lamented.
The Corporate Affairs Manager of the
electricity, Mr Tayo Adekunle, said the
company that the company is not relenting as it
plans to reconnect the affected neighbourhoods
where darkness is now the order of the day.
Adekunle assured: “We want to divert the load
to areas that have light. You know, some of the
facilities are aged and we are doing all that we
can to fix them. The problem would be laid to
rest within the week.”
some of the things u hear happen in Nigeria, you Wondee if Nigeria is an 9th World Country!!
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 9:49pm On Nov 12, 2018
no light for upper sokponba for the past 6days tomorrow making it a week,no light for sapele road,upper mission,ramat park,ikpoba hill,1st 2nd &3rd east circular,uselu,uwelu,some part for Egor,ekewan,st Savior agbor park,even me wey dey type I dey wear charger for neck dey find where I go plug phone the day we no on Gen...thank you

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2018
you can add yours if you live in benin
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by famology(m): 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2018
There's light in uselu, ugbowo
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 9:17am On Nov 13, 2018
famology:
There's light in uselu, ugbowo
liar which place in uselu?
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by famology(m): 10:07am On Nov 13, 2018
officialfestus:
liar which place in uselu?

What's this one saying? I have light here in uselu behind olua pry sch.
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 10:52am On Nov 13, 2018
famology:

What's this one saying? I have light here in uselu behind olua pry sch.
ok noted....
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:57am On Nov 13, 2018
We need to sack BEDC and Funke and get another management for Edo. This rubbish is too much. Wetin spoil we decided no for repair for almost 2 weeks ?

Edo has the largest onshore reserves of natural gas in Nigeria, yet no light.

Nigeria is too backward abeg
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Benin City Following Blackout by officialfestus(m): 3:07am On Nov 14, 2018
power has been restored

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Demands Are Valid — Buhari / Security Chiefs Attending Buhari's Campaign Flag Off Is A Bad Signal -Shehu Sani / JUST IN: Trouble As Man Commits Suicide In Ekiti Government House (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.