Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape (33133 Views)

Man Beaten To Death After Girl’s False Rape Claim In South Africa / Nigerian Man Arrested After Girl Was Gang Raped To Death In Italy. Photos / Ochanya Ogbanje: Benue Street Named After Girl Raped To Death By Uncle & Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Gossipninja: 12:25pm On Nov 13, 2018
Women are sharing pictures of their underwear on social media in protest after a teenage girl’s thong was used as evidence against her in a rape case.

The hashtag #ThisIsNotConsent trended on Twitter after the 27-year-old suspect was acquitted of rape by an Irish court last week.
The 17-year-old girl’s “thong with a lace front” was presented as part of the defence’s closing address.

In her closing address to the jury, Elizabeth O’Connell SC told jurors they should consider the underwear the girl wore on the night of the alleged rape, the Irish Examiner reported.

She told the Central Criminal Court in Cork: “Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone?
“You have to look at the way she was dressed.

She was wearing a thong with a lace front.”
Noeline Blackwell, the head of Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, said she was not surprised that the teenager’s underwear was the focus for the defence.

She told The Independent: “The reference to the girl’s underwear and the assumption and inference that the jury was being invited to draw – that because she was dressed like that she was asking for sex – does not surprise us.
“We accompany people to court and the whole time we see rape stereotypes used to discredit complainants and to enforce elements of the defendant’s case.”

The barrister’s comments sparked a furious backlash on social media.
Under the hashtag #ThisIsNotConsent, women shared pictures of their own underwear in support of the girl and protest at ‘victim blaming’.

See more:
https://zenithnaija.com/outrage-after-girls-panties-was-used-as-evidence-to-clear-man-of-rape/

1 Like

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by MetallicM(m): 12:39pm On Nov 13, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Born2Breed(f): 12:41pm On Nov 13, 2018
This is unbelievable. My type of undies should determine if I should be raped or not?

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by SEGLIZ: 12:54pm On Nov 13, 2018
madness, this why hate the law, the lawyer and entire constitution. the same law is so design to protect a criminal major under the guys of human right. everything about law and it's practitioners are non-realistic to me, it's just like circus to me.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Jac007(m): 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2018
She should have worn an iron pant angry Awon weyrey

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by hisexcellency34: 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2018
Dont come and show your torn, dirty and brown underwear here ooo. I mean pata gigan

37 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:39pm On Nov 13, 2018
BAD JUDGEMENT

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:40pm On Nov 13, 2018
Born2Breed:
This is unbelievable. My type of undies should determine if I should be raped or not?

Mba....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by meobizy(f): 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2018
The ways of man are not the ways of the law.
If they found a loophole and used it there’s nothing any protest can do to change it.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by DaniDarvey: 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2018
They might be right.

But we say No to Rape.
No female deserves to be raped.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by SingleWahala(f): 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2018
undecided
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by tropaz(m): 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2018
95% rape cases are only aimed at getting even with playboys

A lady once accused me of rape just after she realized I'm also digging her bestie...
I bless God for my neighbor who was hearing her seductive ring tone ;kill me, destroy it, please don't stop...

Conclusively, fear women...

25 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by kingthreat(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
Women believe any man accused of Rape, Domestic Violence or Unfaithfulness is guilty
And any woman accused of the above is false.
Even if proven true, it is because she was pushed by the man.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by govmentson(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by menstrualpad: 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
Born2Breed:

Go and read the book of Isaiah 47.

3 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by vincentjk(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
Vaseline crew must have rushed to this thread on hearing the word "panties/underwear"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by lawflec(m): 1:43pm On Nov 13, 2018
As far as I am concerned, consent means an affirmative action indicating an intention to engage in the act. Such an action should not be implied. That meabs that the Girl must positively say YES. That's why withdrawal of consent is enough to ground a case of rape.

This decision is unsupportable by any known law at all.
I hate jury trial in it's entirety

8 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by menstrualpad: 1:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
Gossipninja:
Women are sharing pictures of their underwear on social media in protest after a teenage girl’s thong was used as evidence against her in a rape case.

The hashtag #ThisIsNotConsent trended on Twitter after the 27-year-old suspect was acquitted of rape by an Irish court last week.
The 17-year-old girl’s “thong with a lace front” was presented as part of the defence’s closing address.

In her closing address to the jury, Elizabeth O’Connell SC told jurors they should consider the underwear the girl wore on the night of the alleged rape, the Irish Examiner reported.

She told the Central Criminal Court in Cork: “Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone?
“You have to look at the way she was dressed.

She was wearing a thong with a lace front.”
Noeline Blackwell, the head of Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, said she was not surprised that the teenager’s underwear was the focus for the defence.

She told The Independent: “The reference to the girl’s underwear and the assumption and inference that the jury was being invited to draw – that because she was dressed like that she was asking for sex – does not surprise us.
“We accompany people to court and the whole time we see rape stereotypes used to discredit complainants and to enforce elements of the defendant’s case.”

The barrister’s comments sparked a furious backlash on social media.
Under the hashtag #ThisIsNotConsent, women shared pictures of their own underwear in support of the girl and protest at ‘victim blaming’.

See more:
https://zenithnaija.com/outrage-after-girls-panties-was-used-as-evidence-to-clear-man-of-rape/

Please add graphic to the picture

1 Like

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Topmaike007(m): 1:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
oya nairaland girl's over to you come and display your own oo maybe guys go grab Vaseline this afternoon..
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by deco22(m): 1:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
Please tell the person who has the green panties to wash it before she posts it on twitter, this is how people disgrace themselves.

7 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Topmaike007(m): 1:44pm On Nov 13, 2018
menstrualpad:
Please add graphic to the picture
I support you jaare
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by MrGoogle88: 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
Watch how many sick Nigerian men come in here to say she deserves to be raped.

2 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Topmaike007(m): 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
menstrualpad:
Go and read the book of Isaiah 47.
pastor wetin dey dia ooo
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Naijawebmaster: 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
This news just made me pissed! What nonsense! angry
Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by philip0906(m): 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
But if those same panties were used to prove that the man was guilty and he was eventually sentenced, it will be fine.
Ndi ara
It is weak men I pity. Men who side with these senile feminists. The sooner y'all know that there is an orchestrated plan to deal with "all men"(literally) the better y'all get back to your senses. Just go on social media and look at the trivial things these deranged feminists talk about men and all.If those same panties were used to prove the man was guilty, it would have been very normal and ok

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by obaataaokpaewu: 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2018
Born2Breed:

maybe if it was torn in the course of forceful pulling it from the girl

1 Like

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by ajayiopy: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2018
MY NEW YEAR RESOLUTION IS TO QUIT NAIRALAND IN 2019

3 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by Macgreat(m): 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2018
it was not rape. period.
it was an open invitation.

say no to rape, say no to seduction, say no to indecent dressing.

13 Likes

Re: Outrage After Girl’s Panties Was Used As Evidence To Clear Man Of Rape by slawomir: 1:47pm On Nov 13, 2018
Isoright

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Police Officers Sleep Off While Detaining Some Ladies / Europe-Based Nigerian Man Addresses Those Practicing Cultism In Europe / Soldier Drills An Uninvited Guest In Delta, Makes Him Lie Inside Mud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.